SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Artificial sweeteners: Phenylalanine, sorbitol, etc.

tezza

• Moderator Emeritus

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Phe" redirects here. For other uses, see Phe (disambiguation).

Phenylalanine

IUPAC name[hide]

Phenylalanine

Other names[hide]

2-Amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid

Identifiers

CAS number 150-30-1 (DL) , 63-91-2 (L)

PubChem 994

ChemSpider 5910

UNII 8P946UF12S

DrugBank DB00120

KEGG D00021

ChEBI CHEBI:58095

ChEMBL CHEMBL301523

Jmol-3D images Image 1

SMILES

[show]

InChI

[show]

Properties

Molecular formula C9H11NO2

Molar mass 165.19 g mol−1

Acidity (pKa) 1.83 (carboxyl), 9.13 (amino)[1]

Hazards

MSDS External MSDS

NFPA 704

Supplementary data page

Structure and

properties n, εr, etc.

Thermodynamic

data Phase behaviour

Solid, liquid, gas

Spectral data UV, IR, NMR, MS

(verify) (what is: /?)

Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)

Infobox references

Phenylalanine (pron.: /fɛnəlˈəlɒˈniːn/) (abbreviated as Phe or F)[2] is an α-amino acid with the formula C6H5CH2CH(NH2)COOH. This essential amino acid is classified as nonpolar because of the hydrophobic nature of the benzyl side chain. L-Phenylalanine (LPA) is an electrically neutral amino acid, one of the twenty common amino acids used to biochemically form proteins, coded for by DNA. The codons for L-phenylalanine are UUU and UUC. Phenylalanine is a precursor for tyrosine, the monoamine signaling molecules dopamine, norepinephrine (noradrenaline), and epinephrine (adrenaline), and the skin pigment melanin.

Phenylalanine is found naturally in the breast milk of mammals. It is used in the manufacture of food and drink products and sold as a nutritional supplement for its reputed analgesic and antidepressant effects. It is a direct precursor to the neuromodulator phenylethylamine, a commonly used dietary supplement.

Contents [hide]

1 Other biological roles

1.1 In plants

2 Phenylketonuria

3 D-, L- and DL-phenylalanine

4 Commercial synthesis

5 History

6 See also

7 References

8 External links

[edit]Other biological roles

L-Phenylalanine is biologically converted into L-tyrosine, another one of the DNA-encoded amino acids. L-tyrosine in turn is converted into L-DOPA, which is further converted into dopamine, norepinephrine (noradrenaline), and epinephrine (adrenaline). The latter three are known as the catecholamines.

Phenylalanine uses the same active transport channel as tryptophan to cross the blood–brain barrier, and, in large quantities, interferes with the production of serotonin.

[edit]In plants

Phenylalanine is the starting compound used in the flavonoid biosynthesis. Lignan is derived from phenylalanine and from tyrosine. Phenylalanine is converted to cinnamic acid by the enzyme phenylalanine ammonia-lyase.[3]

[edit]Phenylketonuria

Main article: Phenylketonuria

The genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) is the inability to metabolize phenylalanine. Individuals with this disorder are known as "phenylketonurics" and must regulate their intake of phenylalanine. A (rare) "variant form" of phenylketonuria called hyperphenylalaninemia is caused by the inability to synthesize a coenzyme called biopterin, which can be supplemented. Pregnant women with hyperphenylalaninemia may show similar symptoms of the disorder (high levels of phenylalanine in blood) but these indicators will usually disappear at the end of gestation. Individuals who cannot metabolize phenylalanine must monitor their intake of protein to control the buildup of phenylalanine as their bodies convert protein into its component amino acids.

Phenylketonurics often use blood tests to monitor the amount of phenylalanine in their blood. Lab results may report phenylalanine levels in different units, including mg/dL and μmol/L. One mg/dL of phenylalanine is approximately equivalent to 60 μmol/L.

A non-food source of phenylalanine is the artificial sweetener aspartame. This compound, sold under the trade names Equal and NutraSweet, is metabolized by the body into several chemical byproducts including phenylalanine. The breakdown problems phenylketonurics have with protein and the attendant build up of phenylalanine in the body also occurs with the ingestion of aspartame, although to a lesser degree. Accordingly, all products in Australia, the U.S. and Canada that contain aspartame must be labeled: "Phenylketonurics: Contains phenylalanine." In the UK, foods containing aspartame must carry ingredient panels that refer to the presence of "aspartame or E951"[4] and they must be labeled with a warning "Contains a source of phenylalanine." In Brazil, the label "Contém Fenilalanina" (Portuguese for "Contains Phenylalanine") is also mandatory in products which contain it. These warnings are placed to aid individuals who suffer from PKU so that they can avoid such foods.

Geneticists have recently sequenced the genome of macaques. Their investigations have found "some instances where the normal form of the macaque protein looks like the diseased human protein" including markers for PKU.[5]

[edit]D-, L- and DL-phenylalanine

The stereoisomer D-phenylalanine (DPA) can be produced by conventional organic synthesis, either as a single enantiomer or as a component of the racemic mixture. It does not participate in protein biosynthesis although it is found in proteins in small amounts - particularly aged proteins and food proteins that have been processed. The biological functions of D-amino acids remain unclear although some, such as D-phenylalanine, may have pharmacological activity.[citation needed] D-phenylalanine, in particular, has been postulated to inhibit the enzymes that breakdown enkephalins, giving it a potential analgesic profile.

DL-Phenylalanine (DLPA) is marketed as a nutritional supplement for its supposed analgesic and antidepressant activities. DL-Phenylalanine is a mixture of D-phenylalanine and L-phenylalanine. The reputed analgesic activity of DL-phenylalanine may be explained by the possible blockage by D-phenylalanine of enkephalin degradation by the enzyme carboxypeptidase A.[6] The mechanism of DL-phenylalanine's supposed antidepressant activity may be accounted for by the precursor role of L-phenylalanine in the synthesis of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine. Elevated brain levels of norepinephrine and dopamine are thought to have an antidepressant effect. D-Phenylalanine is absorbed from the small intestine and transported to the liver via the portal circulation. A small amount of D-phenylalanine appears to be converted to L-phenylalanine. D-Phenylalanine is distributed to the various tissues of the body via the systemic circulation. It appears to cross the blood–brain barrier less efficiently than L-phenylalanine, and so a small amount of an ingested dose of D-phenylalanine is excreted in the urine without penetrating the central nervous system[citation needed].

L-Phenylalanine is an antagonist at α2δ Ca2+ calcium channels with a Ki of 980 nM.[7] At higher doses, this may play a role in its analgesic and antidepressant properties.

In the brain, L-phenylalanine is a competitive antagonist at the glycine binding site of NMDA receptor[8] and at the glutamate binding site of AMPA receptor.[9] At the glycine binding site of NMDA receptor L-phenylalanine has an apparent equilibrium dissociation constant (KB) of 573 µM estimated by Schild regression[10] which is considerably lower than brain L-phenylalanine concentration observed in untreated human phenylketonuria.[11] L-Phenylalanine also inhibits neurotransmitter release at glutamatergic synapses in hippocampus and cortex with IC50 of 980 µM, a brain concentration seen in classical phenylketonuria, whereas D-phenylalanine has a significantly smaller effect.[12]

[edit]Commercial synthesis

L-Phenylalanine is produced for medical, feed, and nutritional applications, such as aspartame, in large quantities by utilizing the bacterium Escherichia coli, which naturally produces aromatic amino acids like phenylalanine. The quantity of L-phenylalanine produced commercially has been increased by genetically engineering E. coli, such as by altering the regulatory promoters or amplifying the number of genes controlling enzymes responsible for the synthesis of the amino acid. [13]

[edit]History

The first description of phenylalanine was made in 1879, when Schulze and Barbieri identified a compound with the empirical formula, C9H11NO2, in yellow lupine (Lupinus luteus) seedlings. In 1882, Erlenmeyer and Lipp first synthesized phenylalanine from phenylacetaldehyde, hydrogen cyanide, and ammonia.[14][15]

The genetic codon for phenylalanine was first discovered by J. Heinrich Matthaei and Marshall W. Nirenberg in 1961. They showed that by using m-RNA to insert multiple uracil repeats into the genome of the bacterium E. coli, they could cause the bacterium to produce a polypeptide consisting solely of repeated phenylalanine amino acids. This discovery helped to establish the nature of the coding relationship that links information stored in genomic nucleic acid with protein expression in the living cell.

[edit]See also

Hyperphenylalanemia

[edit]References

^ Dawson, R. M. C. et al. (1959). Data for Biochemical Research. Oxford: Clarendon Press.

^ IUPAC-IUBMB Joint Commission on Biochemical Nomenclature (1983). "Nomenclature and Symbolism for Amino Acids and Peptides". Recommendations on Organic & Biochemical Nomenclature, Symbols & Terminology etc.. Retrieved 2007-05-17.

^ Nelson, D. L.; Cox, M. M. (2000). Lehninger, Principles of Biochemistry (3rd ed.). New York: Worth Publishing. ISBN 1-57259-153-6.

^ "Aspartame". UK: Food Standards Agency.

^ Gibbs, R. A. et al. (2007). "Evolutionary and Biomedical Insights from the Rhesus Macaque Genome" (pdf). Science 316 (5822): 222–234. doi:10.1126/science.1139247. PMID 17431167.

^ Christianson, D. W.; Mangani, S.; Shoham, G.; Lipscomb, W. N. (1989). "Binding of D-Phenylalanine and D-Tyrosine to Carboxypeptidase A" (pdf). Journal of Biological Chemistry 264 (22): 12849–12853. PMID 2568989.

^ Mortell KH, Anderson DJ, Lynch JJ, et al. (March 2006). "Structure-activity relationships of alpha-amino acid ligands for the alpha2delta subunit of voltage-gated calcium channels". Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 16 (5): 1138–41. doi:10.1016/j.bmcl.2005.11.108. PMID 16380257.

^ Glushakov, AV; Dennis, DM; Morey, TE; Sumners, C; Cucchiara, RF; Seubert, CN; Martynyuk, AE (2002). "Specific inhibition of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor function in rat hippocampal neurons by L-phenylalanine at concentrations observed during phenylketonuria.". Molecular psychiatry 7 (4): 359–67. doi:10.1038/sj.mp.4000976. PMID 11986979.

^ Glushakov, AV; Dennis, DM; Sumners, C; Seubert, CN; Martynyuk, AE (2003 Apr 1). "L-phenylalanine selectively depresses currents at glutamatergic excitatory synapses.". Journal of neuroscience research 72 (1): 116–24. doi:10.1002/jnr.10569. PMID 12645085.

^ Glushakov, AV; Glushakova, O; Varshney, M; Bajpai, LK; Sumners, C; Laipis, PJ; Embury, JE; Baker, SP; Otero, DH; Dennis, DM; Seubert, CN; Martynyuk, AE (2005 Feb). "Long-term changes in glutamatergic synaptic transmission in phenylketonuria.". Brain : a journal of neurology 128 (Pt 2): 300–7. doi:10.1093/brain/awh354. PMID 15634735.

^ Möller, HE; Weglage, J; Bick, U; Wiedermann, D; Feldmann, R; Ullrich, K (2003 Dec). "Brain imaging and proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in patients with phenylketonuria.". Pediatrics 112 (6 Pt 2): 1580–3. PMID 14654669.

^ Glushakov, AV; Dennis, DM; Sumners, C; Seubert, CN; Martynyuk, AE (2003 Apr 1). "L-phenylalanine selectively depresses currents at glutamatergic excitatory synapses.". Journal of neuroscience research 72 (1): 116–24. doi:10.1002/jnr.10569. PMID 12645085.

^ Sprenger, G. A. (2007). "Aromatic Amino Acids". Amino Acid Biosynthesis: Pathways, Regulation and Metabolic Engineering (1st ed.). Springer. pp. 106–113. ISBN 978-3-540-48595-7.

^ Thorpe, T. E. (1913). A Dictionary of Applied Chemistry. Longmans, Green, and Co.. pp. 191–193. Retrieved 2012-06-04.

^ Plimmer, R. H. A. (1912) [1908]. Plimmer, R. H. A.; Hopkins, F. G.. ed. The Chemical Composition of the Proteins. Monographs on Biochemistry. Part I. Analysis (2nd ed.). London: Longmans, Green and Co.. pp. 93–97. Retrieved 2012-06-04.

[edit]External links

Phenylalanine at ChemSynthesis

Food Sources of Phenylalanine

[show] v t e

The 20 common amino acids

[show] v t e

Amino acid metabolism metabolic intermediates

[show] v t e

Analgesics (N02A, N02B)

[show] v t e

Antidepressants (N06A)

[show] v t e

Anxiolytics (N05B)

[show] v t e

Dopaminergics

[show] v t e

Phenethylamines

Categories: Animal productsProteinogenic amino acidsGlucogenic amino acidsKetogenic amino acidsAromatic amino acidsEssential amino acidsEnkephalinase inhibitors

• Moderator Emeritus

It does cross the blood brain barrier. A former Supervisor of mine, drank Diet Coke all day long. He had a terrible memory which I believed was caused by the soft drink. He was ALWAYS very happy and easy going, too happy and easy going. Now, I have to wonder if that came from the drink as well.

He told me once that he started drinking the diet soda when a relative offered it to him and was soon HOOKED on it.

Thank you, Flower, for bringing this to our attention.

Tezza

I'm confused. Is the first post by flower, tezza?

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Alex,

I'm sorry for the confusion. I looked up Phenylalanine after seeing in Flower's thread that she had learned it is an ingredient used in making aspartame. She mentioned that she had learned it was also used as a "potent anti-depressant and as a pain reliever".

I posted the info from Wiki to make others aware of this ingredient being in diet drinks, specifically in Aspertame.

Again, so sorry for confusing you.

Love,

Tezza

Thanks Tezza. Thanks Alex. Maybe this will help someone realize this stuff has caused alot of people to be very ill. As I reduce Diet pop I feel muscle pain and headaches drain away. My Doctor belives I will have an easier time reducing Celexa when this taper is done. I tried to c/t the diet Coke but became very anxious and ill after about 2 weeks, insomnia was terrible. I resumed half a can for 3 days which helped alot. I believe I can drop some every 4 or 5 days. Also beware of the new sweetner Diet Pepesi has come out with this year. It will soon be advertised. I will find the name. Tinnitus is also a big one with aspartame.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Tezza I have been cutting down on the diet drinks as well. I guess you can same I am tapering.

For years, sugar has been put down for being dangerous, maybe Sugar-in-the-Raw is probably better. My brother uses Agava and Honey too.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Many soft drinks also contain caffeine, which can affect sleep and other symptoms http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The new sweetner to be added to Diet Pepsi this year is Acesulfame Potassium..The Aspartame is still included.

Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.

I am still having a few ounces of Diet Pepsi a day. The WD from this stuff is startling. The same type as Celexa. The difference is I'm sleeping. When I drink that pop in the afternoon I become sleepy and calm down alot.Just a few ounces does this for me. I recognize WD in about 5 days after a drop. This serious ,for me. The anxiety sucks. Again. Doc said no more Celexa taper untill this is done. I now know why.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tezza I have been cutting down on the diet drinks as well. I guess you can same I am tapering.

For years, sugar has been put down for being dangerous, maybe Sugar-in-the-Raw is probably better. My brother uses Agava and Honey too.

I hope it goes smoothly for you, Nikki! I think honey is a good choice and I love honey.

• Administrator

Eventually you'll be taking your diet soda with an oral syringe! Sounds like it needs gradual tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes Alto this soda thing has had quite an effect on me. I know why Doc said no messing with Celexa til it's done. My head will not cooperate..My ears are messed up. The tinnitus doesn't help. I have adrenalin rushes a couple times a day. They pass quickly. My mood is much more stable.

• Administrator

Well, that's good. Those soda drinks are bad for people in a lot of ways.

I don't drink soda at all but I used to down a ton of the diet stuff. It's sort of addictive and I don't think it's the caffeine, at least it wasn't for me.

I've read some blogs from people living in LA about drinking Mexican Coke, which I assume is coke made with sugar and not corn syrup but actually have no idea what it is. Speaking of, for people who enjoy carbonated beverages, there's a Mexican mineral water (flavored and unflavored) that is all the rage among the SXSW set here in Austin, Topo Chico, and I endorse it (though I can't currently handle carbonation)... Terrific stuff. My sister liked it so much I ordered her a case for her birthday on Amazon and sent it to Boston.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I am having a hellvacious time getting off this diet pop. The WD for me is similar to the AD WD, My head and ears are miserable. Alex did you have alot of trouble getting away from diet pop? It is VERY addictive...that can of chemicals. I can't find alot on the WD other than it is very difficult and last weeks.

Blaaaaaaaaah! This is so true...Diet soda is not good for you. I know this, but I still drink loads of diet coke every day. I figure I benefit from the caffeine since I'm sort of droopy otherwise ;)

I don't necessarily think it contributes to my depression; I've been very happy and very sad at differing periods while drinking it. I should probably worry about its long-term effects though...

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

Some tolerate the aspartame better but in the long run it builds and sneaks up on you. Try to go a week without it and you'll see differently.

• 4 years later...

Common sweetener in a lot of products.

Some you might not realise, like mouth wash. Also in the liquid form of many different medications including SSRIs and benzos.

I suspect I might be reacting to it.

Does anyone else have a reaction to this substance?

Jay

• 2008: Started Citalopram 30mg
  • Sept 2014: Tapered down Citalopram over 6 months and discontinued Feb 2015
  • Severe withdrawals peaked in July/Aug 2015. Totally housebound.
  • Sept 2015: Sertraline started @ 100mg on GP advice.
  • Oct to Dec 2015: Reduced to Sertraline 50mg due to side effects. 
  • Jan 2016 to March 2017: Tapered Sertraline to 2mg @ 10% per month. 
  • Severe withdrawals peaked again June 2017. Totally housebound. 
  • Diazepam: July 2017 5mg // Aug 2017 2.5mg // Sept 2017 1mg // 12th Dec 2017 0.85mg 
  • Sertraline Reinstatement: 23 Oct 2017 5mg // 15 Nov 2017 10mg // 23 Nov 2017 15mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

I just did a google search (survivingantidepressants.org sorbitol) and found this:

On 22/03/2016 at 12:07 PM, Altostrata said:

Some people react to Sorbitol xylitol.

It would be a frightening thing if the ingredients claimed "Dgl extract" but actually included regular licorice which, as Chessie noted, can cause quite serious side effects.

I just found out a good digestive aid is 2 parts sodium bicarbonate to 1 part potassium bicarbonate (used in beer- and wine-making; may be available at the pharmacist). Take ½ teaspoon completely dissolved in warm water; you can take a second dose 20-30 minutes later if needed. Do not take more than 2 doses in 24 hours, it's a lot of sodium.

The potassium bicarb is better for you than all that sodium.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Altostrata changed the title to Artificial sweeteners: Phenylalanine, sorbitol, etc.
  • Moderator Emeritus

I ran across problems that fit under this topic.  I must apologize for the length.  As not to spoil the story, I will tell my story in 2 sections, what happened last week, then what happened 2 years ago.

About 7 days before I felt really ill, I started to feel what I call benzo-y (stands for light benzo WD in my word).  I have been totally symptom free for a number of months now, and my last symptoms were not what I was feeling all of the sudden.  Instead of the cog-fog, my last symptom, I was feeling an urge to stretch, but not in a normal way, I was reminded of t,he awful need to stretch while in the depths of acute benzo WD, and when I stretched then (and oddly now), I only felt worse, like I needed to stretch again.  It was an awful and puzzling feeling. During this time, my gut was very upset and noisy and quite distended, but I though I had caught what my other half was sick with maybe.  I did not put these 2 things together. Luckily, I still keep a journal, even though I had been symptom free (readying for my Lexapro taper once my life is calmed down), so I noted this.  This happened especially when I woke up, which let me notice I was sleeping very poorly, I hardly ever stretch now, but now was waking up about 4 times a night to stretch!  So add Insomnia.  Days were slowly passing as I started to feel worse. My gut slowly got worse and worse, and then other symptoms started to show up.  My hands and feet became so sweaty they were freezing cold all the time. then by the day I have labelled "My 24 Hours (back in) Hell-o", I had so many things going on; fatigue, myalgia (muscle pain), in a 74F degree/23.3C room, I was overheating/sweating so badly that I was feeling severely ill.  I also had waves of nausea. and jitters/chemical anxiety feelings so bad, I had to change from dosing my 12.5mg of diazepam from once a day to dosing 3 times a day, moving the doses an hour apart a day (3 days total, and by the end of that hour, I was feeling super anxiety ridden, just like I was feelin in the worst of benzo WD.  Also, impaired memory, confusion, cog-fog, mood-swings and vertigo.  By the last 24 hours, I was truly in full withdrawal. I have chronic pain, and it was increased do much that I had nothing that could control it.  I NEVER go to the ER for pain, but I was so confused and in such pain that I considered it. I was having interdose withdrawal, and over 15 signs and symptoms total, and I was as miserable as I was in month 4 of WD, which was still pretty acute.  I was almost non-functional still.

Suddenly I thought, "Why is this happening to me- what changed?" Then it hit me.  I grabbed a pack of sugarless Trident gum about a week and 3 days before, and had started by chewing 1/3 pc at a time.  I was not sure why I was chewing a small amount, maybe to last longer, perhaps?  I then did not chew any for a couple of days. then mack to 1/3 pc.  I was chewing each little bit as long as possible, I LOVE gum, but had not chewed it in about 18 months.  Over the week, culminating in  "My 24 Hours of Hell-O"- when I was chewing a full pc at a time, about 3 times a day!!  THIS is what caused my benzo to suddenly not even last 8 hours each dose.  I was having awful anxiety between doses, and was so miserable that last 24 hours. 12 hours after my last pc of gum, the signs and symptoms started to fade.  Within 48 hours, I was back to once a day dosing.  What took extra time to go away was the increased pain, which was so awful, and the very longest was the confusion alternating with cog-fog.  What is the first ingredient on a pack of trident?  Sorbitol.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now travel back with me in time to the point I was still in acute withdrawal from benzo's.  I was so sick, that I finally stopped eating for a few days.  That was eye opening.  I suddenly felt much better (still miserable, but the confusion started to lift, and the nausea, and upset  and grossly distended abdomen had started to come down), so I went to the store, and decided to start eating very simple foods, to figure out why I was feeling so ill.  I had severe (what they call) benzo-belly, and had an idea that something in my diet was making me very ill from the reading online I had started to do.  I bought 2 boiled eggs, a couple of oranges, a fruit cup, and a box of wheat thins (processed, I know, but I was only strong enough to make it to a convenience store, so my choices were limited).

These foods were great.  Then at home, I decided after 3 days of much continued relief to have a bottle of Gatorade ('low calorie' sports drink), and suddenly, I was back to square one!  Over time I figured out I am now sensitive to all artificial sweeteners.  After nearly 2 years, I thought I could try a bit, but I could not have been more wrong.  I thought I was losing my mind!!  I was so sick I could not even think straight.

If in benzo WD, and feeling awful benzo belly, or even increased pain, confusion, anything I have mentioned, I may have had more signs and symptoms, as I had over 50 n all from benzo WD (I was switched from Xanax to Valium/diazepam (but less than half the equivalent dose), so maybe even more of my original symptoms wee caused by my diet, because after I changed my diet, slowly symptoms changed, new ones came on, old ones fell away, so it is hard to tell.

I would never in a million years have believed this story had I not gone through it twice now.  I have never been allergic or sensitive to ANYTHING in my life.  No meds I could not take, no foods I could not eat, no seasonal allergies, no health issues other than chronic pain, which was controlled until the benzo WD started.  The only gum I can handle that is sugarless is Pur gum, which I buy on Amazon.  That does not bother me, but it is not nice to chew, like Trident, so soft, and easy to make bubbles with...lol!!!

Edited by Skeeter
spacing

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

• 2 weeks later...

Omg, skeeters, I'm so glad I found your post and very thankful to you for sharing your experience! 

AS I just got a very severe and terrifying reaction to aspartame containing fiber drinks that I have been taking for many years on day basis. 

Like you,  I never had problems with any allergy issues to anything, but ever since I came off lex 8 months ago, shave been reacting to almost everything from magnisium, mri, msg, and now aspartame. 

Symptoms from the fiber drink include physical anxiety, very fast heart beats, restless, insomnia, confusion and coma like feeling, freezing cold hands, feet and legs. Even with the determination that I will never go to hospital for any of the wd sickness, I felt unsure today as it feels I'm seriously in a huge trouble.

It has been 12 hours and I'm freaking out as the symptoms are still having no sign of lessening.

When DoD it happen to you and if you were off all meds by then? What are your symptoms? How long did they subside? How did the reaction impact your original wd?

I really appreciate your time and help!

Lex 

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

Poor Lex, and I mean that!

Now I am still on diazepam (a benzo), but had no artificial sugar AT ALL for 2 years, when I first ran into issues.  Now as you probably know, benzo WD and AD WD are VERY much alike and touch on some of the same receptors in the brain.

It took me 12 hours after my last stick of gum recently to start feeling like normal.  But this was just sugarless chewing gum.  I spent 4 days in moderate WD, and 24 hours in severe benzo WD.

The bad news, and of the food items or substances that can put us back into WD have the ability to possibly put us back in a heightened state for even a couple of months.  How do I know this?  I read everywhere I could find online to figure out what was happening to me, but of course I was reading about benzo's, but ur symptoms sound so very similar, Lex, they really do.  My hands and feet were icicles, but were also sweating, even if you are not sweating, it is still very similar.  With benzo's (I do not know about AD's, people can go back into WD after coming into contact with many substances, and if they are stressed for any reason, or do any heavy physical activity (in case this is the case with you, including even dehydration, for benzo's anyway, it can throw a person back into WD, but instead of lasting for years, it can last for days to several weeks, and sometimes a few months.  The best thing you can do is make sure yo are not having a reaction to more than one thing, and second, go back and work on all of those tools you used to et yourself through WD in the first place.  Hopefully you will only have a couple of days of feeling crummy.  Now I was not fully back to normal for a couple of days physically, and it has been a couple of weeks, and I am still having severe memory disturbances coming in waves.  My pain is still increased from normal (I have chronic pain that interferes with everything, but worse than usual, even for me), and my sleep is still "off".  I wish I had better news.  I really feel for you.  it was quite traumatic for me to go from feeling pretty normal (for me) to head back into the depths of severe benzo WD.  It was quite a shock, and I have been having vivid dreams as a result.  I think the shock of being back where I was unexpectedly made it feel like it as so much worse than it probably was, as I was somewhat used to being in that state before- it was my norm, whereas now it is most certainly not!  I mention this, because anytime we worry about this, it increases our BP and our HR, and can make anxiety worse, so please, if at all possible, use your skills to stay as relaxed as possible, and try not to fight it, like I did.  I tensed up and caused myself much more pain than I needed to be in, and my watch told me my heart rate was really fast.  By relaxing, it actually did help me.  No one wants to be back in the throes of what was an awful nightmare again.

I really hope this helped in some way!

Skeeter.

Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Dear skeeter,

Thank you so much for your kindest response! It's life saving as I'm in a new ever increasing despair! Everything you said helps greatly!

I'm having massive needling pain allover and huge blurry brain and vision on top of the original set of symptoms at this moment, can't get up from bed, or eat but can't sleep either. 

It's somewhat a relief to know this setback won't last as long as drugs would, and so kind of you reminding me of not adding more stress by worrying too much! 

I'm very scared though from the recent multiple reaction in the past 2 months, first from mri 6 wks ago, I passed out for 10 min, then msg 2 wks ago, for which I'm still dealing with its own symptoms and finally yesterday aspartame which is the most horrifying as it is long lasting and psych torturing as compared to the other 2.  

I don't know the amount of aspartame in the fiber drink but definitely 100 times more than a gum. 

It's so hard not to freaking out completely.

Thanks again from bottom of my heart!

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

Lex,

Hang in there.  You are doing well, realizing that a series of stressors probably led up to this.  I am not sure how artificial sugar clear the system (i looked it up, but all I know is that Aspartame turns into formaldehyde inside the cells, as scary as that is)- but nothing about whether it is metabolized through the liver vs kidneys.  At any rate, more fluids helps digestion , so it certainly will not hurt to drink more fluids to help it clear the system. Water is the best, IMHO.  Broth has salt in it, which only helps to retain fluid, so water, as much as you can get down, okay? Gatorade has artificial sugar in it, if you were not aware, so none of that!

I had blurry vision and confusion myself, and a headache, so it is really sounding almost exactly what I went through, except my intestines were hypermobile and my abdomen distended. Fatigue and muscle aches were also an issue.  Now with my abdomen, it was not a "rush to the bathroom" type thing, my abdomen was just very bloated, and my stomach and intestines were making monster noises.  My little 7lb rescue long haired Chihuahua, Squishy was terrified of my gut, it was that noisy...lol.  He would only lay over my head on my pillow, where he could watch my gut!   I did not even need a stethoscope to hear it- it was THAT hypermobile. 

Hang in there!  When you feel better, please come back to this thread, and tell how long it took you to feel better, and if you had any effects that lasted longer than others.  I will keep an eye on your intro thread so we do not hijack this thread too much.

Feel Better!

Skeeter

Thank you so much again dear skeeter!

im so sorry you are suffering from the same! I got a picture in my head about your abdomen noise and the little squashy :)

i will definitely report back about the progress of my situation once it's recovering

hope you have a better rest of the day!

lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

1 hour ago, Skeeter said:

I had blurry vision and confusion myself, and a headache,

I noticed many years ago (30? 35?) that artificial sweeteners gave me migraines. Well, I was having migraines and read in a magazine that artificial sweeteners were associated with migraine. I instantly gave them up and have not had a migraine since.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• 5 years later...
  • Mentor

What chewing gum is safe for ssri withdrawals? 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy