Jump to content
swordiebrom

swordiebrom: risperidone / Risperdal

Recommended Posts

swordiebrom

please help, what supplement should i take, how much exercises should i do, i am feeling nothing from the medication at 4mg/day,will i get back to who i am before with all my memories back etc?i am so scared guys, at the same time, i am having memory problems from the medication due to misdiagnose , is cold turkey a better approach?

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom

memory issue caused by it, so in my case, is it better to cold turkey? please suggest what could i do? help, anyone, was misdiagnosed

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley

Hello, swordiebrom, and welcome to SA.  I am sorry you are having these problems, but I'm glad you found your way here.

 

Without having more information with respect to your drug/tapering it will be difficult to make any recommendations.  We ask all of our members to fill out a signature so that all of your information can be read at a glance.  This helps moderators determine you current situation. Please summarize your medication history--drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations and reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature. 

Please let us know how serious your reaction to the drug is.  Unless you are having a serious adverse reaction to the respiridone, we strongly do not recommend cold turkey---in order to minimize withdrawal symptoms and avoid shock to the central nervous system.  Instead, we recommend a slow taper of the drug.   At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  

  

 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

 

 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.
 
I would recommend only mild exercise at this point.  A 30-minute walk per day would be good.  Strenuous exercise can stress your central nervous system.
 
This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.
 
Best,
Gridley
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom

hello, i have experienced memory loss, is it good enough for me to stop the medication cold turkey?

risperidone 5mg on 17/12/2017, currently 4mg 19/1/2018

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

Hi swordie and welcome from me too,

 

As Gridley asked in his welcome post to you please create your drug signature.  Until we have details about your drug history it is very difficult for us to make suggestions.

Edited by ChessieCat

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom

done, thanks for your help

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Welcome, swordie.

 

Why were you prescribed risperidone? If it was for sleep, when you go off it, you'll have sleep problems again.

 

When did you decrease from 5mg to 4mg? How did you feel after the decrease?

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
3 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, swordie.

 

Why were you prescribed risperidone? If it was for sleep, when you go off it, you'll have sleep problems again.

 

When did you decrease from 5mg to 4mg? How did you feel after the decrease?

misdiagnosed, i just feel emptiness, restlessness,anger,anxiety and have a bit of delusions after the decrease. Should i cold turkey? i wasn't psychotic like what the doctor said and he say i could be off the medication in 6 months or a year, but my memory is being affected so i wonder if it's good for me to just cut it off right now to prevent further memory damage

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

When did you decrease from 5mg to 4mg?

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

When did you decrease from 5mg to 4mg?

15 january 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

That decrease of 1mg might have caused withdrawal symptoms. Please keep notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

 

If you got withdrawal symptoms from a 1mg decrease, simply quitting might make you very sick. I wouldn't do it.

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
21 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

That decrease of 1mg might have caused withdrawal symptoms. Please keep notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

 

If you got withdrawal symptoms from a 1mg decrease, simply quitting might make you very sick. I wouldn't do it.

will my memory return if i quit it at least? so if i follow the treatment,will my memory become worse and worse everytime i take the medicine? also feels very bored on the risperidone, i don't even feel like working

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

If you read up on the side effects of risperidone, which I strongly recommend you do, you will see that it can cause memory issues and demotivation.

 

Taking less usually results in weaker side effects.

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

If you read up on the side effects of risperidone, which I strongly recommend you do, you will see that it can cause memory issues and demotivation.

 

Taking less usually results in weaker side effects.

so my brain will slowly recover if i taper off the medication? why not just cold turkey it?

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley

Because of the very real possibility that, as Alto said, you could get extremely sick and possibly for quite some time.  

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
26 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Because of the very real possibility that, as Alto said, you could get extremely sick and possibly for quite some time.  

so is it between very sick and further loss of memory?does the memory come back as i lower the dosage?

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley

The memory will come back as you lower the dosage.  Side effects generally lessen as dosage is lowered.  If you can, be patient on your memory return and think about the larger picture of your overall nervous system health.  My advice is to go slow.

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
On 1/20/2018 at 8:31 AM, Gridley said:

The memory will come back as you lower the dosage.  Side effects generally lessen as dosage is lowered.  If you can, be patient on your memory return and think about the larger picture of your overall nervous system health.  My advice is to go slow.

is that real...? i have read on quora that people don't recover from risperidone.... i am so scared, at the very least i want my astuteness back so i can learn how to communicate better, any supplements/food i should be eating more in general?

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley
The statement, "people don't recover from risperidone" is simply not true.  Google "survivingantidepressants.org risperidone success stories" and read CharlieBrown's post, for one example.
 
As I said on an earlier post, we don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

 

 

 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.
 
Generally, a healthy diet without processed foods will aid your recovery.  

 

Edited by Gridley

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
On 1/23/2018 at 9:56 PM, Gridley said:
The statement, "people don't recover from risperidone" is simply not true.  Google "survivingantidepressants.org risperidone success stories" and read CharlieBrown's post, for one example.
 
As I said on an earlier post, we don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

 

 

 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.
 
Generally, a healthy diet without processed foods will aid your recovery.  

 

thanks, any recommendation for exercise regime etc?seems like little to no withdrawal for me since i only started taking it... always been a healthy person who jogs regularly i guess that helped...

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley

I would stay away from intense aerobic exercise, at least for now.  Why don't you continue the jogging, maybe a little less rigorously than usual, and see how that works.    Just don't overdo it, since your nervous system is sensitized and for some people exercise more intense than a 30-minute walk can be too activating.

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom

the doctor says i should be ok in a year max since i have only been on meds recently and is tapering it off now...i still want to get back to taking exams and studying, is it possible to recover in a year?

Share this post


Link to post
nz11

Swordie was that the doctors idea to CT the Prozac ? 

What are your current symptoms? Are you keeping notes as Alto suggested.

You may find things get worse before they get better.

Gridleys advice to go gentle on the exercise at this time is wise. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom

yea, doctor advice to cold turkey the prozac since its a low dose, don't have any withdrawal from it though

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom

and how do you deal with the increased appetite ?my weight gain is obnoxious

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
On 2/8/2018 at 6:13 PM, nz11 said:

Swordie was that the doctors idea to CT the Prozac ? 

What are your current symptoms? Are you keeping notes as Alto suggested.

You may find things get worse before they get better.

Gridleys advice to go gentle on the exercise at this time is wise. 

 

 

 

currently i have no symptoms from withdrawal but experiencing anhedonia from risperidone itself, doctor's idea to cold turkey the prozac but i didn't get much withdrawal from what it seems

Share this post


Link to post
nz11
On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, swordiebrom said:

yea, doctor advice to cold turkey the prozac since its a low dose, don't have any withdrawal from it though

Well if that is the case you can consider yourself very lucky. Even with only one months use a CT can result in severe wdl symptoms. 

As you know wdl symptoms can be delayed so if i were you i would be on my guard over the  next year for signs of psych or emotional distress. eg uncharacteristic crying spells for no apparent reason. Just be aware its not you its the delayed drug wdl. Then again you may not have any. 

You are very lucky to only have one months exposure. If i were you i would never take another ad again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
56 minutes ago, nz11 said:

Well if that is the case you can consider yourself very lucky. Even with only one months use a CT can result in severe wdl symptoms. 

As you know wdl symptoms can be delayed so if i were you i would be on my guard over the  next year for signs of psych or emotional distress. eg uncharacteristic crying spells for no apparent reason. Just be aware its not you its the delayed drug wdl. Then again you may not have any. 

You are very lucky to only have one months exposure. If i were you i would never take another ad again.

 

what's the difference between an ad and ap? risperidone is an ap right? prozac is an ad?

Share this post


Link to post
nz11

yes

And when you finally get off the ap if i were you i would never ever take another pscyh drug again.

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
3 minutes ago, nz11 said:

yes

And when you finally get off the ap if i were you i would never ever take another pscyh drug again.

risperidone can induce psychosis temporarily upon withdrawal?

Share this post


Link to post
nz11

Please dont panic but the answer is yes, ap withdrawal reactions  can include that.

It is possibly misdiagnosed as ...wait for it...'schizophrenia'. 

You seem to be coming out of this with no issues so far anyway. So there is no need to panic. Okay you are putting on weight but hopefully when you get off the drug that will reverse itself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
swordiebrom
2 hours ago, nz11 said:

Please dont panic but the answer is yes, ap withdrawal reactions  can include that.

It is possibly misdiagnosed as ...wait for it...'schizophrenia'. 

You seem to be coming out of this with no issues so far anyway. So there is no need to panic. Okay you are putting on weight but hopefully when you get off the drug that will reverse itself.

 

so a person heals faster if he has only been on the drug for a shorter period of time? i have only been on it for 2 months now counting the taper,could that be why i am experiencing little to no withdrawal symptoms ?

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley

Everyone is different, but having been on the drug a short time is definitely an advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley

 

As I wrote earlier, the statement, "people don't recover from risperidone" is simply not true.  Google "survivingantidepressants.org risperidone success stories" and read CharlieBrown's post, for one example.
 
If I were you, I would choose to think that you will recover completely,  Worrying about hypotheticals that likely don't apply to you is a waste of your time and energy.  Alto, the founder of this site, wrote the following:
 
"Is it too soon to say you'll never get stable? Why anguish over something that may never happen? Is this good for you?

 

"If you are in a difficult spot with drugs, is it constructive to think it will last forever? As we can see over and over, many members here, even those who frequently post with  incessant irrational worries, get better, much to their surprise. They put energy into enhancing all that suffering for nothing."
 
apace, one of our moderators, wrote the following, which I encourage you to read and apply to yourself:
 
"I think the best answer anyone can give you is that over time the brain will return to homeostasis and healing will occur.  How long that will take  and what that means when taking a healing brain along with the passage of time and mixing it all up is anyone's guess.  The success stories, while they did take more time (in most cases) than any of us would like, seem to indicate that there is substantial healing and a lot of people come out "on the other side" feeling better about life and themselves than they did either before or during the use of the drugs.

 

It would be misleading and, frankly, unethical for me to tell you "don't worry -- you'll be fine in x months."  The reality, as you already know, is frequently different.  Having said that there are plenty of people who (i) come off with no problem or (ii) come off and see fairly rapid recovery.  My personal experience, however, is that most of the people that find their way to SA have been hit harder than that and are in a situation that is going to take time to repair.  I'm sure there are plenty of people on this site who came on scared, had a fairly quick recovery, and moved on.  There's no other way in my mind to explain all of the "sub-10 post" people (after all, we are a great site -- who would want to leave? ).  But the "usual suspects" and a lot of the new people who have recently joined are going to be at this for a lot longer and need to think in terms of years as opposed to months or weeks.  

 

But, at the end of the day, the people who have been doing this for a long time tell us that healing will happen and we have no reason to doubt that.  The Success Stories bear that out as well and they also indicate that even those among us who are really sick and dealing with hellacious symptoms will, in the long run, see healing and recovery."
 
I hope this is helpful, swordiebrom.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...