swordiebrom

swordiebrom: risperidone / Risperdal

swordiebrom

@Altostrata but if I want to stop,how long should I take the 5mg medicine for? And at what dosage should I stop

Altostrata
On 7/8/2019 at 12:58 PM, Altostrata said:

If you don't have any symptoms at 5mg, that's good.

You may be able to get by with less, or zero, if you taper carefully enough. Your decision what you want to do. You can stay at 5mg lurisidone for life if you wish. You've come a long way from 80mg.

If you want to go off 5mg lurisidone, you need to continue tapering very gradually, no faster than 10% per month -- since if you get worse symptoms, that would be very bad for you.

You're quite a ways from going to zero. You'd stop at a small fraction of 1 milligram.

swordiebrom
On 7/11/2019 at 7:31 AM, Altostrata said:

If you want to go off 5mg lurisidone, you need to continue tapering very gradually, no faster than 10% per month -- since if you get worse symptoms, that would be very bad for you.

You're quite a ways from going to zero. You'd stop at a small fraction of 1 milligram.

But smallest dosage required for lurasidone is 40 mg and for risperidone is 0.75 mg,2 mg. Why is it that the dosage required to stop for both medicine is the same? @Altostrata

Altostrata

You go down to a very low dosage, a fraction of a milligram, no matter what drug you're tapering. Some of our people tapering benzos or antidepressants are tapering by hundredths of a milligram.

swordiebrom
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

You go down to a very low dosage, a fraction of a milligram, no matter what drug you're tapering. Some of our people tapering benzos or antidepressants are tapering by hundredths of a milligram.

That doesn't make sense scientifically, some drug may be more diluted than others which is why therapeutic dosages are different. And in your tapering thread, you say to jump off at 98% of original dose. @Altostrata

Altostrata

What is the reason you're arguing with me about this when you don't know how you'll feel on less that 5mg lurisidone?

I can't tell you exactly when you'll jump off. At this point, it's hypothetical you'll get down to below 1mg at all.

swordiebrom
13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What is the reason you're arguing with me about this when you don't know how you'll feel on less that 5mg lurisidone?

I can't tell you exactly when you'll jump off. At this point, it's hypothetical you'll get down to below 1mg at all.

isn't there a % based guideline where i can follow?The doctor assured me it's fine to just stop medicine at the lowest dose because that's how everyone has done it before and rarely people get any withdrawal doing that but don't just stop medicine immediately at medium or higher dosage. @Altostrata

brassmonkey

The reason for the existence of this site is because of bad information like your doctor is giving you.  If you researched what he is saying you would find that well over 65% (some sources say 85%) of people who follow those instructions suffer from a "return of their original symptoms" and have to restart their medication. The "return of their original symptoms" has been proven time and again to be withdrawal. That withdrawal is actually documented in the PDR that the doctors are meant to use for reference.

Because the majority of the medical community disavow the existence of ADWD there has been very limited research conducted on it and even less information disseminated.  Over the years of working with many thousands of members we have developed a protocol that limits the pain and suffering of ADWD.  This protocol is not hard and fast and has to be adapted to each individual.  There are no percentages on how to do it and no precise end point to do the last reduction to "0".  It is dependent on the person taking responsibility to listen to their body, collect information and make a decision on how they wish to proceed.

We offer a variety on information on how to taper psych drugs in general.  With the vast number of drugs and combinations of drugs we see, there is no possible way we could collect enough detailed information on every one to make precise recommendations on an individual basis.  Maybe in the future it will be possible, but no one, not even the manufacturers of the medications, has the information you're asking for.

swordiebrom

@brassmonkeyso whats the average dosage i should stop at? like % based on original dose or something, if theres no baseline, how do people taper, by trial and error?

swordiebrom
11 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

@ChessieCatthat post doesn't give an average of what dosage people stop their taper. And my psychotic symptoms return after being 6 months off medicine, therefore i am unsure if its withdrawal or relapse

ChessieCat

No there isn't.  I was referring you to the topic to help you understand that there is no specific dosage to stop at.  BrassMonkey has already stated precisely that in his previous post, which I have quoted below.

13 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

There are no percentages on how to do it and no precise end point to do the last reduction to "0".  It is dependent on the person taking responsibility to listen to their body, collect information and make a decision on how they wish to proceed.