ggriffith: Feeling hopeless

ggriffith

I have been searching for answers I hope I find some here. A few years back I was put on Sertraline after the loss of my sister and the loss of my son. This all happened in about a years time my sister passed in her sleep while she was I'll and then almost a year later I had a miscarriage with my son and had to give birth to him. At the time I was put on a low dose of Sertraline and over the following months the Dr had increased to 200 mg. At the time I never questioned the dosage just assumed it was in my best interest. Over the years I would go in and see the Dr he would ask me how things were going I would say fine and received a refill on the prescription. After a few years on the medication I questioned the Dr about not having any energy and he lowered the Sertraline to 100 mg and put me on Wellbutrin 300 mg. So I took his prescription and went about my business. In December I went in to him a new questioned why I wasn't loosing any weight going to gym 3-4 times a week eating better but my weight wasn't going anywhere. I was under the impression that the Wellbutrin would help with that but after being on it for a couple years nothing was happening. So the Dr thought that if I switch to Prozac which is in the same family as Sertraline I shouldn't have a problem and I should see some weight loss. So on December 8th after being on Sertraline for over 10 years I started with Prozac 40 mg and was fine for about a week and a half then every thing went down hill! I stared with nausea,and a headache so the Dr had me get a shot for a migraine and gave me a pill for the nauseousness. Then things got so bad I couldn't do anything I felt so sick. So the Dr lowered my Prozac to 20 mg about a week after that I was still not feeling any better. I was talking to my daughter about it and she couldn't believe I was still taking the depression medication after so many years I should just stop taking it. So I talked to my Dr and told him I wanted to stop taking all medication so he put me on 10 mg of Prozac for a week and told me to stop taking it and then lowered the Wellbutrin to 150 mg. I am still feeling nauseous, I have some of the craziest dreams, when I do sleep which I'm not doing much of. I get these stabs of pain in my head which usually lead me to sleeping or just laying still with my eyes closed. I cry for no reason at all and am very peroniod. It is to the point I don't want to leave the house because I don't know how I will feel while I'm out. My husband is very understanding and wants me to do what will make me feel better. I am feeling very hopeless right now I think I will never be "right"again. I really don't like being a zombie and would like to stay off the meds but I wonder if this will be my life and I don't like feeling like this. Is there an end to it?

• 2005 Sertraline HCL not sure of starting dosage then increased to 200 mg
  • March 16, 2015 150 mg Burpropion HCL XL 
  • July 5, 2016 300 mg Burpropion HCL XL
  • Stopped Sertraline HCL on  December 7, 2017
  • December 8, 2017 Fluoxetine HCL40 mg
  • December 27, 2017 reduced Fluoxetine HCL 20 mg
  • January 3, 2018 reduced Fluoxetine HCL 10 mg
  • January 8, 2018 stopped Fluoxetine HCL
  • January 16, 2018 lowered Burpropion HCL XL to 150 mg
  • ChessieCat changed the title to ggriffith: Feeling hopeless
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi ggriffith and welcome to SA,

To get you started, we ask all members to create a drug signature which will show below every post you make.  Please use the following format:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  We encourage members to visit other members' topics so you can support each other.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Monday I went to dinner with a friend and seemed pretty well. Then Tuesday the day was going really well so I went to the gym with my husband to get some exercise. Just did the bicycle for 30 minutes. The last night got up around 2:00 am and my stomach was killing me. I don't know if this is a side effect from stopping the medication or just a fluke. The same thing happened a couple weeks ago so I wasn't sure. I have only been getting about 4 hours of sleep at night and for whatever the reason I get up around 2 am and am up until 4:30 when I dozed back of and then alarm goes off at 5 and I am up for the rest of the day. Then today which is Wednesday I have not been very well but not as bad as it could be. The head pain and nausea are what bother me the most. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon. Any advice on sleeping would be helpful.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, griffith and welcome from me too.

Thank you for posting your signature.

I understand your wish to be med-free, but you are tapering too fast and making a number of drug changes, which likely accounts for many of the symptoms you are experiencing.  

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? 

Your recent reduction of Buproprion was quite large.  I would not make any more drug or dosage changes in order to allow your nervous system to accommodate the lower dosage and other changes.    I suggest you hold at 150 mg for at least two months until you feel stable.  Then, when you are ready, you could begin a 10% per month taper with a four week hold.

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

For sleep, I've had good results with Melatonin.  Start with a low dose, such a 1 mg, as your system is very sensitized.  Do not go higher than 3 mg.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you Gridley for the advice. I will read above information I  unfortunately was given medication by my general Doctor. If I would have known taking this medication was so mind changing I would have tried to work though my issue a different way. All I can do know is learn. Thank you again.

Welcome ggrifith

As i was reading this i was thinking who told ggrifith my story. I can relate to much of what you write in fact i think your well written drugstory  could very easily be the template story for all of us.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:38 AM, ggriffith said:

Over the years I would go in and see the Dr he would ask me how things were going I would say fine and received a refill on the prescription.

snap

Like your daughter i was surprised how many years i had been on the drug for ...i couldn't get over it. These drugs put us in a state of medication spellbinding. Oblivious to the passing of time and worsening outcomes.

18 hours ago, ggriffith said:

I get up around 2 am and am up until 4:30 when I dozed back of and then alarm goes off at 5 and I am up for the rest of the day........ Any advice on sleeping would be helpful.

Okay who told you about my sleep issues?

This is exactly how it has been for me too.

For me this has been going on for 7 years drug free now. However in the last year the sleepless window has appeared to have moved (fingers crossed) forwards towards the 4-5am time. I see it as a 'win' if i can get to 5am as this is the time that some unharmed brains get up anyway.

I would like to tell you that i have never taken anything for sleep and have just accepted whatever with no expectations. If i were you i would not take stuff from the doctor for sleep. The safest option is Gridleys and try the melatonin. If you talk about this to a doctor  they no doubt will give you another psych drug ...maybe Seroquel, or trazodone or  Zyprexa even trintellix. If i were you i would not take these, if you do the price may be high. 

You may not be aware of this but the withdrawal symptoms off these drugs are delayed. Two to three months is uncannily common. That was my experience and i have observed it is the experience of many others too. This is not a relapse but serious drug withdrawal. 

imo you are now in the 'Where the heck has the tide gone? ' phase. 

I have come to the conclusion that doctors think these ssri drugs are like an aspirin or a vitamin c tablets oh well lets just switch and try you on a vitamin e tablet now shall we. okay just stop taking it then. Sadly they are at the other end of the continuum and extremely potently addictive. Think cocaine , heroin. That has meant many people have now found that to get off the drug and the drug merry-go round they must taper real slow...we are talking years. Doctors are very misinformed regarding the nature of these chemicals.

You have basically CT 200mg of Zoloft after 12 years use. That is a very large dose from which to jump off. (Equiv in dose to 70mg! of paxil).

Some people who jump off like this end up in a hospital. I hope that is not the case for you.

I don't want to scare you but things over the coming weeks imo are going to get worse. Much worse. If i were you i would reinstate some Zoloft (sertraline). 

Despite doctors wanting to switch you to 'try ' a different drug it is better to ri the drug you were on.

The tide may soon appear on the horizon and you may be horrified when you see how big the wave is.

Please consider a reinstatement.

nz11

p.s. Thankyou for doing your excellent and clear drug signature.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with nz11 that reinstatement of a smaller dose of Zoloft, perhaps 100 mg, would be in your best interest and could save you some very unpleasant Zoloft withdrawal symptoms that likely are waiting down the road.  You are well within the three-month window from quitting that is most promising for reinstatement to work.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

nz11 I don't know how to say this but I'm sure you will understand "I'm glad I'm not alone" I have considered going back to Sertraline at a small dose but I have not had any since 12-8-17. I do not want to go through what I have already gone through ever again. I am going to continue with the buPropion for a couple months and see how things go. I will take it day by day and try to remember it will end. I will keep updating as I think it will help me to be able to go back and remember where I was and where I am now.

Gridley I am really scared to go back on the Sertraline. I have wondered if all the craziness I was going through was it because of coming off the Sertraline or a reaction to starting the Prozac. I may never know but what I have went through since the middle of December to now I don't want to experience again. I really do appreciate the advice but I was to the point that I couldn't get off the couch. At least now I am able to do daily tasks. I am setting small goals for myself and do my best to reach them and deal with the side effects as they come. Just being able to know that what I am going through will pass gives me some hope.

• Moderator Emeritus

Fair enough, ggriffith.  You know better than anyone your body and your experiences and your present state.  Yes, what you are going through will pass.  We are here for you.  Please do keep updating.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Griffith i have observed especially on a prior site many people join and share that they after many years of use and a high dose  have done a cold turkey.

Members pour in and suggest this is not a wise idea. 

They assure us that they are ready and willing to tough it out and say they will be fine again in a short while.

Sadly many of these people then reappear weeks later to tell us they are suicidal and they just want to die and they cant stop crying or pacing around like a caged lion. Our hearts go out to them and we feel for them as we know it didn't have to be like this.

Others reappear weeks later to inform that they are just out of hospital and now on a huge cocktail of drugs at mindboggling dosages.

Rightly or wrongly this may be  a new experience for you as it appears you haven't in the last 13 years attempted to get off the drug.

It is very hard for a person who has not experienced full blown ssri wdl to imagine what it is like. 

You CT the Zoloft but you have also halved the bupropion too (150mg of bupropion is approx. equiv to 42mg of Zoloft). So it could be argued that you have now CT 242mg of Zoloft.

Yes i know you are saying you are feeling better and are doing daily tasks etc unlike in Dec. but this is the honeymoon period before the storm. 

In wdl the doctor offered me a benzo i refused it and all other drugs. Looking back now i can say I'm so so glad i did. ssri wdl can last for years and it did, benzo addiction can be triggered within 2 weeks. I have seen people take a benzo to help with the ad wdl yes they got off the ad but  have fallen into the benzo trap. Some of these people are still on the benzo years later. 

Yes i did a fast taper too. Not quite as fast as yours. And yes i am recovering. But it has not been easy. 

Good luck with your decisions and do keep posting.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

All this came about in December when I just asked my doctor why I couldn't loose any weight. And he switched me to Prozac. He said that would help to loose some weight. Now everything is crazy. I have no idea what is the right or wrong thing to do. I wish there was a clear cut answer. But apparently not. I will take all you said under advisement and talk with my husband and see what he thinks. It is just very scary reading everything. I have read stories about people trying to reinstate and they have horrible out comes. Just not sure what to do.