SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Serena01: Introducing myself

Serena01

I am new to this site.   I was put on paroxetine six weeks ago in the UK but felt strange and discovered this is the strongest SSRI.

I stopped cold turkey a week ago and feel awful mostly when I wake up.     Can I start Fluoxetine yet or should I wait longer? ( I am abroad so can't get to my gp).

Thanks

1983.   Fluoxetine 40mg. 3 years.  Just stopped.  No withdrawal symptoms.

1990.    Fluoxetine  40 mg. 2 years.  Just stopped with no withdrawal symptoms.

1999.      Fluoxetine  40 mg.  2 years.  Just stopped.  No withdrawal symptoms.

2014.     Fluoxetine 20 mg.  Valdoxan (Agomelatine) 25 mg.  Diazepam 10mg.  

May 2017. Stopped Valdoxan because UK gps will not prescribe it although it really helped me (no withdrawal) symptoms.   

August 2017 stopped fluoxetine.

August 2017. very slowly tapering diazepam (very difficult)

December 2017 Paroxetine 20mg.  Side effects palpitations. Night sweats. Vivid dreams.

January 2018.  Stopped paroxetine after 4 1/2 weeks having discovered what a strong drug it it.  Withdrawal symptoms same as being on drug..  After 2 weeks off it I have zero energy but hopefully other symptoms are subsiding.

February 2018.  Fluoxetine 20mg.  Valdoxan 25mg (no longer in UK).  

Still trying to wean off diazepam.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Serena01: Introducing myself
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Serena.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here is some information about paroxetine and fluoxetine. Please note you can become dependent on an antidepressant in as little as one month and on a benzo (such as diazepam) in as little as 2 - 4 weeks. 

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Here is some information on withdrawal:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery  video (4 minutes)

For information on using a scale or liquid for your taper, please see:

There are many ways of using non-drug coping techniques to not only aid you through your taper, but to set you up for success without drugs once you're off. For more, please see:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

How long have you been off fluoxetine? How long have you been taking diazepam? Is the diazepam prescribed to aid in coming off the antidepressant? 

Please list the dates you've been on your drugs in your signature, including the date you started and the dates you came off (you mention being "on and off Fluoxetine several times"). Also list the dose you are taking for the Fluoxetine and paroxetine. A direct link to your signature is here:

Account settings - signature

Please continue to use this thread to document your symptoms and to ask questions.