SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

wildchild93: Long term Effexor use, is there hope?

wildchild93

Hi. I'm so sorry for what your'e going through. I wish I could offer advice, but I'm in the same boat as you- I was put on Zoloft when I was just 5 for anxiety so I understand how especially frustrating it is for us since we didn't even choose to go on these ourselves! It's a special kind of hell and I can relate to so much of what you're saying. The withdrawal is unlike anything I could have imagined. I hate to see someone else going through a similar thing but it does somewhat comfort me that I'm not alone and I hope it does for you too. It's so tough for us because we literally have never had a life without it and the withdrawal pain is almost impossible to bear. Also, I saw you mention about suing. Both me and my family are looking into this right now. My parents were never told of any side effects whatsoever when they put me on the med and if they had any idea about it they never would have. There has to be something we can do, it is outright malpractice for drs to prescribe these to children when they are so clearly unsafe.

I also relate to you on the side effects. Maybe bc we were so young and so quickly adapted? But yeah, until I was about 18 I feel like I had my emotions/normal sex/lost weight easily. Actually I feel like the med helped me have willpower to lose weight because I got really skinny as a teenager and have been there since. I have so many fears like if I stay off of it I will gain weight or always feel "off". It's such a struggle because the reality is I don't feel like my true self on it, but then off it I'm so sick that I'm also unable to live and be myself. There has to be some kind of possible lawsuit for people like you and me.

I would also recommend a high quality CBD oil if you can find it. It's by no means a cure-all, but it definitely takes the edge off my panic/pain. It's the only thing I've ever found that helps. Oh and most importantly it helps me sleep! This was after months of nothing helping, I would get maximum 4 hours of sleep before.

Regardless of what you choose to do just remember you're not alone! 

2001-2011 Zoloft up to 150mg

2011-2013 celexa up to 40mg

2013-2014-begin reducing celexa to 20mg 

2014-2016-on and off celexa up to 30mg

2017- Zoloft up to 150mg

may 2018-cold turkey Zoloft

• 1 month later...

Brief update. I managed to taper my Effexor down to 101.25mg over the summer. I am currently holding at this dose and plan to do so for the rest of 2018. I worked as a lifeguard and swim teacher during the summer and hope to go back to nursing in the fall. I still struggle with a good bit of anxiety and what I call agitation (restlessness, feet burning, numbness and tinging) but I no longer experiencing the crying spells and sleep every night unmedicated. Michael Priebe's Lovely Grind youtube videos and website has helped to encourage me this summer.  Hopefully next time I write I will be back working at my hospital. Until then, stay safe and keep fighting.

6 years old- 23 years old Effexor XR 75-150mg 

March-May 2017  3-month taper of Effexor XR from 150mg down to 37.5 and then 0.  

After a week reinstated Effexor at 37.5 and quickly worked your way up to 150.

Mid-May increased to 187.5.

End of July to mid-October switched to 50-200mg Zoloft

Nov. to present  switched back to Effexor 75 mg

March 29, 2018 Increased Effexor dose to 150mg (original dose). 

May 12, 2018 Began a 10% AT LEAST monthly taper off of 150mg Effexor XR.

• 2 months later...

Help me, I feel so trapped. I'm holding at 85mg effexor xr right now, but am having many symptoms of major depression increase like loss of appetite, trouble falling asleep, waking up exhausted, tearfulness throughout the day, difficulty concentrating, lack of motivation. However, I am not agitated or restless. When I increase the dose, it seems like I experience some symptoms of mania and get really restless/uncomfortable/lots of energy (increase exercise)/insomnia, but my mood is better and it is easier for me to get more done. I also start experiencing an increase in side effects with every dose increase like sweating, bloating, and weight gain.

Currently, Effexor XR is the only medication that I am taking, no supplements. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature with the dates and doses.  Thank you.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Once we can see the changes you have made we will be better able to offer suggestions.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 8:26 PM, DaveB said:

Thanks for checking in, how are you doing?

I'm doing alright. Hanging in there. Getting past 85-90mg was really tough for me to maintain without losing my sleep so I had to reinstate some and then slow it down even more. Right now I'm sitting at 80mg. The akithisia rears it's ugly head often for me along with the chemical anxiety and insomnia, but I lift regularly at the gym which helps a ton. Hardly any depression or SI. The agitation is the worst by far. I will admit, I will eat a benzo every so often when my symptoms get really bad and keep me from sleeping for multiple nights in a row. Buts that's last resort, after I've tried everything else. I found that a klonopin here and there (averaging 1 per week right now) really helps ease the akithesia and allows me to sleep unlike anything else that I've tried (besides red wine) which then sets me up for some better days. I know benzos are really frowned upon on this site and they are definitely addictive (already went through benzo wd 1 1/2 times), but they have seriously help me push past this rough patch without giving up and reinstating and I know that I'll be able to cut back on them even more in the future. Fish oil, magnesium, and benadryl don't touch me and I can't do antipsychotics. It's pick your poison I guess. Everyone's body's different and what works for one person during withdrawal won't necessarily work for everyone. I've been praying a lot, exercising, trying to stay busy. Trying to stay off here for the most part, although I take a couple peeks on my bad days. Really been enjoying watching Michael Priebe's Youtube videos for encouragement. We'll get there.

• 6 months later...

Checking in here cause I'm feeling rough this morning. Currently on just under 75mg effexor xr, about 70mg (I weigh the beeds) and that is all! Been working full time this summer and a gym and pool as a deck manager, lifeguard, swim instructor. Our pool is fairly busy, especially on weekends, but I've found it to be a good distraction for me most days. I recently had a nursing interview at a hospital unit. Aiming to go back beginning of October if everything works out, but still dealing with some serious high functioning/non situational anxiety on a daily basis. 

Physically, I am much healthier now then I was even a year ago. Lost a lot of weight being on a lower dose and gained muscle. I workout regularly, but it was very difficult to for awhile after I reinstated my full dose and got hit with a lot of really bad side effects (constipation, sweating, lethargy). Those are all gone now, praise the Lord. 

Edited by ChessieCat
changed shooting to aiming due to being triggering

• 1 month later...

Your story has resonated with me as I see many similarities. Would you consider yourself “stable now” seems you are doing much better. How long did it take after reinstatement to start feeling more stable?

April 2010 - January 2018: Zoloft 50-100 mgs (would go back and forth between these doses, mostly at 50mgs).

April - May 2018: Attempted to restart Zoloft for 6 weeks, made things worse so switched to...

June 2018 - Novemeber 2019: Lexapro 10mgs

August 2018 - Current: Zyprexa added for early morning extreme anxiety

November 2018 - February 2019: Lexapro 5mgs, then off since doctor said it “wasn’t working if still having anxiety.” Looking back I was probably stabilizing very slowly.

New Doctor reinstated:

May 1st, 2019 - Current - Zoloft 50mgs, 2.5mg Zyprexa 

• 1 year later...

Hi @wildchild93, wondering how you are doing these days. I also was put on an antidepressant medication as a child and suffered horrible withdrawal when I first tried to come off. I hope you are doing well. Sending love and support ❤️

2005 - Zoloft, 200 mg for childhood anxiety (starting at age 11)

Summer 2015 - Switched to Prozac, 40 mg  

June 2019 - Tapered to 10 mg Prozac, no adverse effects. Held for 1 year. 

June 2020 - Discontinued Prozac. Horrible withdrawal. Did not realize it was withdrawal at first. 

Nov 2020 - Reinstated Prozac 2.5 mg. Still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

May 2021 - Prozac 2.0 mg. Still experiencing symptoms - some symptoms have improved, but situational factors have worsened.

August 12 2021 - Prozac 2.25 mg. Partial reinstatement as symptoms had worsened

June 17 2022 - Prozac 2.0 mg; Sept 13 2022 - Prozac 1.75 mg; Nov 1 2022 - Prozac 1.5 mg; Feb 1 2023 - Prozac 1.25 mg; Apr 1 2023 - Prozac 1.0 mg; June 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.75 mg; Aug 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.5 mg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 6:24 PM, Toast said:

Hi @wildchild93, wondering how you are doing these days. I also was put on an antidepressant medication as a child and suffered horrible withdrawal when I first tried to come off. I hope you are doing well. Sending love and support ❤️

Realizing now how long it has been since I signed on here, even forgot my username and password. I'm back at the hospital working as a full time RN now. My dosage is under 75mg but not quite 37.5mg yet. I do still struggle with insomnia, feelings of restlessness, agitation, nerves feeling like they're vibrating under my skin. I have been taking it slow and trying to enjoy life but also taking the bare minimum of Effexor that I need to function (sleep, eat, have normal conversations, carry out daily life). I workout and lift weights regularly and have been able to afford a personal trainer which has been awesome. I also started a wood burning business on the side that makes me a little extra cash and can be therapeutic and relaxing when my symptoms are high. I will admit that it has been very difficult weaning my dose now that I am under 75mg. But I know that I am making progress because when I feel really really bad and have to reinstate for a bit, the 75mg hits harder than before. It gives me relief but also more side effects than this time last year because my body has gotten used to being on less. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, wildchild93 said:

My dosage is under 75mg but not quite 37.5mg yet.

2 hours ago, wildchild93 said:

But I know that I am making progress because when I feel really really bad and have to reinstate for a bit, the 75mg hits harder than before.

From what you have written it seems that you are taking a bit more than 37.5mg (that is, closer to 37.5mg than 75mg).  It also seems from what you have written that you go back to 75mg when you updose.

When updosing it is better to only take a small amount more because during the time you have been on a lower dose your brain has made adaptations to not getting as much of the drug.  Taking too much could make things worse.

The brain likes consistency.  The aim of tapering a psychiatric drug is to sneak away a small amount at a time so that the brain has a chance to adapt to getting a tiny bit less.  If you are getting bad symptoms and having to updose then you are reducing your drug too quickly.  And if you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms it is better to hold for longer than to reduce again.

Stability

WDnormal

And jumping up and down with your doses can cause your nervous system to become destabilised.

Please see these topics:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 2/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, wildchild93 said:

Realizing now how long it has been since I signed on here, even forgot my username and password. I'm back at the hospital working as a full time RN now. My dosage is under 75mg but not quite 37.5mg yet. I do still struggle with insomnia, feelings of restlessness, agitation, nerves feeling like they're vibrating under my skin. I have been taking it slow and trying to enjoy life but also taking the bare minimum of Effexor that I need to function (sleep, eat, have normal conversations, carry out daily life). I workout and lift weights regularly and have been able to afford a personal trainer which has been awesome. I also started a wood burning business on the side that makes me a little extra cash and can be therapeutic and relaxing when my symptoms are high. I will admit that it has been very difficult weaning my dose now that I am under 75mg. But I know that I am making progress because when I feel really really bad and have to reinstate for a bit, the 75mg hits harder than before. It gives me relief but also more side effects than this time last year because my body has gotten used to being on less. 

It sounds like things have been going better, though slowly? I hope the improvements continue!! 

2005 - Zoloft, 200 mg for childhood anxiety (starting at age 11)

Summer 2015 - Switched to Prozac, 40 mg  

June 2019 - Tapered to 10 mg Prozac, no adverse effects. Held for 1 year. 

June 2020 - Discontinued Prozac. Horrible withdrawal. Did not realize it was withdrawal at first. 

Nov 2020 - Reinstated Prozac 2.5 mg. Still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

May 2021 - Prozac 2.0 mg. Still experiencing symptoms - some symptoms have improved, but situational factors have worsened.

August 12 2021 - Prozac 2.25 mg. Partial reinstatement as symptoms had worsened

June 17 2022 - Prozac 2.0 mg; Sept 13 2022 - Prozac 1.75 mg; Nov 1 2022 - Prozac 1.5 mg; Feb 1 2023 - Prozac 1.25 mg; Apr 1 2023 - Prozac 1.0 mg; June 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.75 mg; Aug 15, 2023 - Prozac 0.5 mg