Where are all the success stories? Does nobody ever heal?

I've only ever turned to a forum when I'm in desperate need of relief or support. When I've felt better, I'm usually off doing everything that I was terrified I'd be unable to do.

Something that I have to remind myself is that I'll never find the concrete confirmation that I'll be okay if I come off my particular medication, at my particular dose and with my particular symptoms.

Maybe when you've fully recovered, you can be that voice of reassurance that you wanted while you were sick?

Taper commencing 14/06/18:

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

Medication / withdrawal history:

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

NatureCalm Magnesium, Glycine, Ashwagandha, Reishi, Schisandra, Melatonin.

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

The anxiety, cortisol spikes, and insomnia faded after two full years. I bet I could have brought it under control sooner had I known about DHEA.

I can still suffer from cortisol spikes and insomnia if I have an especially bad day at work. It has to be really bad, though.

When this happens, I can take an iodine pill to calm down.

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

46 minutes ago, Trichotomous said:

The anxiety, cortisol spikes, and insomnia faded after two full years. I bet I could have brought it under control sooner had I known about DHEA.

I can still suffer from cortisol spikes and insomnia if I have an especially bad day at work. It has to be really bad, though.

When this happens, I can take an iodine pill to calm down.

Did you also struggle with depression and anhedonia? I struggle to feel any positive feelings. I either feel down and depressed all of the time or I feel nothing at all. It's terrifying and I wish I could know for sure that it will eventually go away. 

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

17 hours ago, NobodySpecial said:

I've only ever turned to a forum when I'm in desperate need of relief or support. When I've felt better, I'm usually off doing everything that I was terrified I'd be unable to do.

Something that I have to remind myself is that I'll never find the concrete confirmation that I'll be okay if I come off my particular medication, at my particular dose and with my particular symptoms.

Maybe when you've fully recovered, you can be that voice of reassurance that you wanted while you were sick?

Yeah, I agree that the concrete confirmation doesn't necessarily exist. But knowing that this depression will eventually get better is ALL I care about. I can't stand feeling like this forever, this condition REALLY tests your resolve to live through anything. I can't imagine a condition worse than a condition that quite literally STEALS your ability to feel joy. It doesn't help that I don't see a lot of reports from people that have totally recovered from anhedonia, which leads me to believe that it's a condition that lasts the longest through out withdrawal. 

• Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

11 hours ago, Hellbutrin said:

Did you also struggle with depression and anhedonia? I struggle to feel any positive feelings. I either feel down and depressed all of the time or I feel nothing at all. It's terrifying and I wish I could know for sure that it will eventually go away. 

No, not in the way many of you do. I was likely misdiagnosed with chronic depression. I have always been unusually edgy, which can eventually lead to depressive emotions and actions. Facets of my youth would lead one to think I suffered with depression.

I'm just stuck with a brain that can't slow down very well.

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved the posts discussing PSSD to this topic: pssd-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

When I first found this forum I read every success story over and over. It was like being thrown a life jacket in the middle of a stormy sea. I should have come on before now and reported the progress I have made. It is hard to explain but it feels a little scary coming back and seeing so much suffering, but I need to let people know that there absolutely is hope. Never give up. Every day you are making progress, your body is healing.It is such a slow process, it is hard to see. I have to remind myself to look back occasionally. A year ago my brain felt scrambled and I was so agitated much of the time I was unable to even read a book. Before this happened I read three books per week, it was one of the joys of my life. I thought that was gone forever. This week I am reading a book and I was able to find the grocery store without using google map. HUGE SUCCESS. I still struggle with despair and anxiety in different degrees, but there are some lifting of symptoms. I am getting better and so will you. Don't give up

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi bluebird and welcome to SA,

It would be great if you would create your own Intro topic so the members can read more about your experiences and provide support.  Introductions and updates

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

On 2/18/2018 at 2:18 PM, bluebird said:

When I first found this forum I read every success story over and over. It was like being thrown a life jacket in the middle of a stormy sea. I should have come on before now and reported the progress I have made. It is hard to explain but it feels a little scary coming back and seeing so much suffering, but I need to let people know that there absolutely is hope. Never give up. Every day you are making progress, your body is healing.It is such a slow process, it is hard to see. I have to remind myself to look back occasionally. A year ago my brain felt scrambled and I was so agitated much of the time I was unable to even read a book. Before this happened I read three books per week, it was one of the joys of my life. I thought that was gone forever. This week I am reading a book and I was able to find the grocery store without using google map. HUGE SUCCESS. I still struggle with despair and anxiety in different degrees, but there are some lifting of symptoms. I am getting better and so will you. Don't give up

It’s nice to see some people find hope. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

• Moderator Emeritus

Something I thought of yesterday:

We don't stay in hospital when we are well.

I'll add that I've recently noticed an improvement too. Quick background: have been off meds for 29 months. Was on cipralex/celexa for well over 10 yrs. In the past year, year and a half, I have been unable to properly nap. As soon as I would start to fall asleep, my body would jolt awake. This would happen over and over until I'd usually give up on the nap. Well, in the past couple of weeks, I can nap again. I do not jolt awake and can get some rest. So yes, progress and healing is happening. It's slow, but even if you don't feel it happening, it is. Hang in there!

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

It’s nice to take naps.

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

On 03/02/2018 at 3:52 AM, Hellbutrin said:

I was just feeling a little disheartened by the disparity between how many people post on this site and how many write success stories. I know that this could mean that people just don't want to return to the site because the memory of withdrawal is so painful for them once they've recovered. But it's also scary knowing that another reason for the lack of success reports could be that people have a really difficult time healing and more often times than not it takes YEARS to heal. I've been off for 6 and a half months and I'm still dealing with brutal mental symptoms, and it's discouraging that when I REALLY need to read reports from people that have recovered, and I end up reading the same 5 stories that I've already read hundreds of times. Is it possible that some people just DON'T heal from this and we need to learn to live with the new circumstances that we've been dealt? I know this post is a little depressing, but I could really use some encouragement. Thanks to any of you that can provide feedback and/or reassurance. 

I ve been off Paxil completely after a short taper from 10mg for six and a half years.  I had a hellish withdrawal as many of you describe. 3 years post and starting to heal I went through a very stressful period and started having a couple of glasses of wine each night to help cope. Big mistake. I stopped it when I realized what was happening and was catapulted back to the beginning but WORSE. 6 months later picking up a bit someone bought me a Nutribullet and for three days I was drinking smoothies made with lots of fruit/berries, straight back to hell. At this point I learned about histamine intolerance, modified my diet and have slowly but steadily improved since. I don't believe it would have taken me this long if I hadn't had those two mammoth set backs.

So where am I now ? Hugely improved from the early days when I not only could not set foot outside my house but was completely terrified inside it.  I have a discernible windows and waves pattern. Windows of months when I am almost my old self, about 80%. The ear pulsing that started with the wine episode has been with me 24/7 since then, but is now only in one ear, not as loud and the volume goes up and down with muscle tension. My waves are rather like other people get cold sores, triggered by stress. Am in one now. Had a bit of a medical emergency, lost blood, now anaemic (on iron) but tons better than if it had happened in the early days. So, in a wave I return to cortisol mornings ( and during the night ) but not as bad, my anxiety goes up, I feel crap. I nurture myself, eg asked a friend to do my banking for me yesterday as the whole parking queuing thing would not have done me any good.Had a couple of days when felt so awful and frightened that I got up and showered, dressed before my partner went to work like the bad old days. But this morning I stayed in bed drank tea and watched the news. In a week after high stress the wave is starting to subside.

From being unable to leave the house I have recently driven myself to the other end of the country to stay with my son, alone, a massive achievement for me ( triggered a month long wave). I used to sit in the hairdressers feeling so awful I wanted to call an ambulance. I enjoy going now. I realise I was horrible to my husband for years with neuro emotions , now am back to normal . So I am much improved but not out of the woods completely.  If I reach the point where all my symptoms have gone I won't be the same person I have been through too much. I don't mean worse or diminished, but I take steps as far as possible to avoid stress. I lead a sensible life. I rejoice when spring comes and the daffodils come as I ve made it through another year. If I reach the point of considering myself completely healed I couldn't identify with the word "success".  I may have somehow endured and made it out the other side but I have gone through years of hell when I could have enjoyed a normal life and I can't get that time back. Maybe that's why people don't write success stories. Don't get me wrong much of the time I am enjoying myself, I only dip in here when having a wave but don't really identify with what most of you are saying because I am not in that place anymore. Most of you will heal a lot faster than I did and I do hope so . It does get better. I believe complete healing is not only possible but likely. But success ? Not the word I would choose.

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Cressida said:

But success ? Not the word I would choose.

I think that is a very good point.  The word success conjures up an image of winning.  This isn't a game where we win, lose or draw  It's a journey with speed humps and detours.  And it's a never ending journey that we will be taking for the rest of our lives in some form or other.  Not that we aren't going to heal but to maintain any healing we will need to take continually take care of ourselves.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:51 AM, Cressida said:

I ve been off Paxil completely after a short taper from 10mg for six and a half years.  I had a hellish withdrawal as many of you describe. 3 years post and starting to heal I went through a very stressful period and started having a couple of glasses of wine each night to help cope. Big mistake. I stopped it when I realized what was happening and was catapulted back to the beginning but WORSE. 6 months later picking up a bit someone bought me a Nutribullet and for three days I was drinking smoothies made with lots of fruit/berries, straight back to hell. At this point I learned about histamine intolerance, modified my diet and have slowly but steadily improved since. I don't believe it would have taken me this long if I hadn't had those two mammoth set backs.

So where am I now ? Hugely improved from the early days when I not only could not set foot outside my house but was completely terrified inside it.  I have a discernible windows and waves pattern. Windows of months when I am almost my old self, about 80%. The ear pulsing that started with the wine episode has been with me 24/7 since then, but is now only in one ear, not as loud and the volume goes up and down with muscle tension. My waves are rather like other people get cold sores, triggered by stress. Am in one now. Had a bit of a medical emergency, lost blood, now anaemic (on iron) but tons better than if it had happened in the early days. So, in a wave I return to cortisol mornings ( and during the night ) but not as bad, my anxiety goes up, I feel crap. I nurture myself, eg asked a friend to do my banking for me yesterday as the whole parking queuing thing would not have done me any good.Had a couple of days when felt so awful and frightened that I got up and showered, dressed before my partner went to work like the bad old days. But this morning I stayed in bed drank tea and watched the news. In a week after high stress the wave is starting to subside.

From being unable to leave the house I have recently driven myself to the other end of the country to stay with my son, alone, a massive achievement for me ( triggered a month long wave). I used to sit in the hairdressers feeling so awful I wanted to call an ambulance. I enjoy going now. I realise I was horrible to my husband for years with neuro emotions , now am back to normal . So I am much improved but not out of the woods completely.  If I reach the point where all my symptoms have gone I won't be the same person I have been through too much. I don't mean worse or diminished, but I take steps as far as possible to avoid stress. I lead a sensible life. I rejoice when spring comes and the daffodils come as I ve made it through another year. If I reach the point of considering myself completely healed I couldn't identify with the word "success".  I may have somehow endured and made it out the other side but I have gone through years of hell when I could have enjoyed a normal life and I can't get that time back. Maybe that's why people don't write success stories. Don't get me wrong much of the time I am enjoying myself, I only dip in here when having a wave but don't really identify with what most of you are saying because I am not in that place anymore. Most of you will heal a lot faster than I did and I do hope so . It does get better. I believe complete healing is not only possible but likely. But success ? Not the word I would choose.

Hi Cressida, 

Thanks for sharing your progress story. How long did it take for you to start feeling like you were making an upwards trend towards healing instead of being catapulted back to the beginning? I've been struggling less lately with being able to distract myself when I'm going through bad waves. But I can't wait until I get to the point where I can at least not feel SO completely depressed all of the time. Thanks again for your feedback, I'm glad that you are starting to get your life back.

On 08/03/2018 at 5:51 PM, Hellbutrin said:

Hi Cressida, 

Thanks for sharing your progress story. How long did it take for you to start feeling like you were making an upwards trend towards healing instead of being catapulted back to the beginning? I've been struggling less lately with being able to distract myself when I'm going through bad waves. But I can't wait until I get to the point where I can at least not feel SO completely depressed all of the time. Thanks again for your feedback, I'm glad that you are starting to get your life back.

I feel for you. I divide my WD into two blocks of 3 years as sent back to hell with wine and blueberries after 3 years. I would say life started getting easier 2-3 year period. I recommend have a look at BenzoBuddies Post withdrawal Recovery support. ( doesn't matter we haven't taken benzo s the WD process is exactly the same). At the top they have a brilliant resource call The four stages of withdrawal. No time lines obviously but it is really helpful to look at the symptoms and see what progress you are making. It cheered me up so much when I realised I had moved into the final stage. It helped to see a bit of structure in what seems like an out of control process. All the best.

8 hours ago, Cressida said:

I feel for you. I divide my WD into two blocks of 3 years as sent back to hell with wine and blueberries after 3 years. I would say life started getting easier 2-3 year period. I recommend have a look at BenzoBuddies Post withdrawal Recovery support. ( doesn't matter we haven't taken benzo s the WD process is exactly the same). At the top they have a brilliant resource call The four stages of withdrawal. No time lines obviously but it is really helpful to look at the symptoms and see what progress you are making. It cheered me up so much when I realised I had moved into the final stage. It helped to see a bit of structure in what seems like an out of control process. All the best.

I just want to know if I'll EVER feel normal again and be able to put this behind me. I get ZERO joy out of anything, I quite LITERALLY can't feel happiness. It's the most distressing feeling and makes the depressive waves even worse knowing that there is no bright side at the end of this tunnel. 

Im right there with you. It’s hard. 

• Mentor

@Cressida

Cressida,

I went and looked at the four stages of withdrawal. I really appreciated it. Thank you for sharing.

Rachel

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Mentor
16 hours ago, Cressida said:

The four stages of withdrawal

Thank you so much for this, very helpful and provides hope in a dark wave.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

It helped me . It’s right . Even when progress is slow it gives you hope . Take care 

14 hours ago, Hellbutrin said:

I just want to know if I'll EVER feel normal again and be able to put this behind me. I get ZERO joy out of anything, I quite LITERALLY can't feel happiness. It's the most distressing feeling and makes the depressive waves even worse knowing that there is no bright side at the end of this tunnel. 

Well that's tough because there isn't anyone who can tell you that. The best thing you can do is try and accept that unavoidable uncertainty, try and get through one day at a time and try and focus more on hope than despair. It does feel like it will never end and you can't imagine ever being normal again and all you can do is carry on breathing in and out, putting one foot in front of the other to get through the worst times and hope that eventually the light will break through. Despair is a self fulfilling prophecy. Hope is believing there might be a light at the end of the tunnel even when you cannot see it. I listened to Winston Churchills wartime speeches on CD. His amazing courage and belief in the face of all odds and his assertion that no matter what, "we will never surrender " Find what works for you.

9 hours ago, Cressida said:

Well that's tough because there isn't anyone who can tell you that. The best thing you can do is try and accept that unavoidable uncertainty, try and get through one day at a time and try and focus more on hope than despair. It does feel like it will never end and you can't imagine ever being normal again and all you can do is carry on breathing in and out, putting one foot in front of the other to get through the worst times and hope that eventually the light will break through. Despair is a self fulfilling prophecy. Hope is believing there might be a light at the end of the tunnel even when you cannot see it. I listened to Winston Churchills wartime speeches on CD. His amazing courage and belief in the face of all odds and his assertion that no matter what, "we will never surrender " Find what works for you.

Thanks for the encouragement Cressida, I really appreciate it. I can deal with the thought of this taking a long time to heal, my fear is that there is the possibility that some of us were to sensitive to be on these drugs in the first place and that we might have permanently destabilized nervous systems. Is it possible for a select few to NOT heal from this at all, or does everyone FOR SURE heal but with different rates of time?

I’ve taken one neuroscience class in University so I’m no expert but one thing I know is that the brain has an exceptional ability to repair itself. When the brain receives too much dopamine (from Wellbutrin, cocaine, or other things), it adapts by reducing receptor availability so when you come off the drug you don’t respond to dopamine in the same way you did before. Similarly, when the brain isn’t receiving enough dopamine (receptors aren’t responding to dopamine properly, the brain is recycling dopamine too quickly, the brain isn’t producing enough dopamine, usually due to drugs or too much dopamine-enhancing activities or stress), the brain automatically compensates and resensitizes receptors to get everything working properly again. Not enough dopamine? It increases receptor availability. Too much? It shuts it down. You took Wellbutrin, which is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, so likely your dopamine receptors are downregulated a bit. But over time, your brain should heal. Dopamine receptors do upregulate over time, it even happens with some heavy drug users, and those people take drugs that flood the brain with *massive* amounts of dopamine—way more than Wellbutrin does. There is absolutely no way of knowing if you will heal fully or get back to how you were pre-Wellbutrin. I’m worried about the same thing myself from the Zoloft I took. But there is no question that you should heal/improve. Check out this image of a meth user.

Look at his dopamine receptors after just two years of abstinance. They get much better over time right? And this drug floods the brain with maybe 100X more dopamine than Wellbutrin. Hang in there. You’re healing more than you think. Give it some more time, and good luck. 

2C9BB63C-FE9E-4B98-A688-DC0271D7E9DE.gif

Zoloft 50 mg from April 23, 2015 to August 28th, 2016 (1 year, 4 months).

4 week taper. Last dose on August 28, 2016

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

Currently taking: Melatonin and magnesium every night.

1 hour ago, potions said:

I’ve taken one neuroscience class in University so I’m no expert but one thing I know is that the brain has an exceptional ability to repair itself. When the brain receives too much dopamine (from Wellbutrin, cocaine, or other things), it adapts by reducing receptor availability so when you come off the drug you don’t respond to dopamine in the same way you did before. Similarly, when the brain isn’t receiving enough dopamine (receptors aren’t responding to dopamine properly, the brain is recycling dopamine too quickly, the brain isn’t producing enough dopamine, usually due to drugs or too much dopamine-enhancing activities or stress), the brain automatically compensates and resensitizes receptors to get everything working properly again. Not enough dopamine? It increases receptor availability. Too much? It shuts it down. You took Wellbutrin, which is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, so likely your dopamine receptors are downregulated a bit. But over time, your brain should heal. Dopamine receptors do upregulate over time, it even happens with some heavy drug users, and those people take drugs that flood the brain with *massive* amounts of dopamine—way more than Wellbutrin does. There is absolutely no way of knowing if you will heal fully or get back to how you were pre-Wellbutrin. I’m worried about the same thing myself from the Zoloft I took. But there is no question that you should heal/improve. Check out this image of a meth user.

Look at his dopamine receptors after just two years of abstinance. They get much better over time right? And this drug floods the brain with maybe 100X more dopamine than Wellbutrin. Hang in there. You’re healing more than you think. Give it some more time, and good luck. 

2C9BB63C-FE9E-4B98-A688-DC0271D7E9DE.gif

Hi Potions,

I really genuinely can't thank you enough for taking the time to write this post. This is the most encouraging post that I've read so far regarding anhedonia. I'm sitting at my computer bawling because of how elating it is to see such an eloquent reassurance that this condition will pass eventually. I'm okay with the idea that I might not get back to my predrugged state. My main issue is that there is so little information available about the mechanisms behind emotional blunting that it causes deep despair having no assurance that this is just a condition that will heal. It also doesn't help that the nature of PAWS causes our brains to automatically jump to the most negative conclusion that it can possibly come to about EVERYTHING. Thanks again for the reassurance, I hope that once I'm healed I can be a reassuring hand for someone going through a similar situation with these drugs. 

43 minutes ago, Hellbutrin said:

Hi Potions,

I really genuinely can't thank you enough for taking the time to write this post. This is the most encouraging post that I've read so far regarding anhedonia. I'm sitting at my computer bawling because of how elating it is to see such an eloquent reassurance that this condition will pass eventually. I'm okay with the idea that I might not get back to my predrugged state. My main issue is that there is so little information available about the mechanisms behind emotional blunting that it causes deep despair having no assurance that this is just a condition that will heal. It also doesn't help that the nature of PAWS causes our brains to automatically jump to the most negative conclusion that it can possibly come to about EVERYTHING. Thanks again for the reassurance, I hope that once I'm healed I can be a reassuring hand for someone going through a similar situation with these drugs. 

No problem, I'm happy to help! It's important to note that the cause of anhedonia isn't always dopamine downregulation-- for example, I took zoloft which is serotonergic, and I too experience anhedonia. But considering the drug you took, I think dopamine desensitization plays a large role in your experience of anhedonia. And I think no matter what you'll gradually recover your emotions/pleasure response/joy/empathy over time. Take care and happy healing :)

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

I’m a success story. I took a hundred different psych meds during my 13.5 year steady stint on SSRIs. I have been off meds two years and doing great. 

13 yrs on SSRIs-tried all of them-august 2015 did a 50% taper from 40mg Celexa to 20mg-protracted withdrawal November 2015. Reinstated 40mg Celexa. December switched to Lexapro 20mg bc its available in liquid form to prepare for taper. Three unsuccessful prior attempts to wean and determined to be successful. No doctor will help me.

On 02/02/2018 at 8:55 PM, MiguelFreeman said:

I know we all suffer but I am sick of people already giving up I am 19 y old it shude be the older people in here to lift the young people because you guys have a lot more experience 

Good fighting attitude, man!  Hey, you are like the Juventus team the other night!

You have thousands of kilos of youth on your side.

I am 73 this year - I wish you all the best and what you dream for.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

There's a good chance you haven't seen this thread yet. It has many more success stories from around the web (I linked to page 4, my favorite, but the other pages have more). Bookmark it if you need (I did).

4/24/16: 20 mg citalopram

8/1/16: 15 mg

8/22/16: 10 mg

9/16/16: reinstated to 12 mg

12/1/16: 11 mg

2/20/17: 10 mg

11/20/17: CT, med free

1/18/18: began regimen (keto, synthroid, supps, etc.)

11/21/18: off keto, lowered synthroid, began exercise

2/07/19: off synthroid/all supps

4/15/19: began tirosint (clean version of synthroid, with less side effects)

Hello, I am new to this site, so I will try my best.  I am currently on the benzobuddies.com site as well.   Here is my story:  I tapered off Klonopin 10 months ago (was on for 7 years).  I was also on Amitripytyline (for 7 years) tapered off that ....been off for 2 months.

I have horrible insomnia, sometimes cannot fall, or stay asleep.....also feel nausea...I think from not sleeping....I feel horrible everyday...I am not taking any supplements , as I want to clear my system of everything.    Is this insomnia from withdrawal?  How do we know?  What is scary is the unknown. I never had anything like this my whole life.  I am 57 years old, and in very good health.  I have been a runner for 37 years....and this is hard to do without sleep.   I feel like I am deteriorating.  

Any words of encouragement ...Thank you so much.

Runnergirl

Was on Klonopin for 7 years (for sleep and anxiety).....Then I was put on Amitriptyline ( 7 years,same issues plus my doctor thought this would help Hormone issues,,,,yeah...right)  I do not trust my doctor anymore.  He had me on Poison ...he should have known not to keep me on this for so long.

Tapered off Klonopin, been off 8 months.

Tapered off Amitriptyline , been off 8 weeks.

Have horrible insomnia.....Not taking any supplements....just vitamins..  I want the brain to heal naturally.

• Mentor
2 hours ago, rowinghippy said:

There's a good chance you haven't seen this thread yet. It has many more success stories from around the web (I linked to page 4, my favorite, but the other pages have more). Bookmark it if you need (I did).

OMG: thank you, rowinghippy. I didn't see this. At 11 months, I really thought I'd be better but after several neuro-emotion outbursts this morning.... ai yi yi.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

On 2/16/2018 at 6:14 AM, Trichotomous said:

No, not in the way many of you do. I was likely misdiagnosed with chronic depression. I have always been unusually edgy, which can eventually lead to depressive emotions and actions. Facets of my youth would lead one to think I suffered with depression.

I'm just stuck with a brain that can't slow down very well.

Have you tried supplementing with GABA? It is a calming, inhibitory transmitter that helps with anxiety, restless mind, etc.

On 2/15/2018 at 6:10 PM, Hellbutrin said:

Hi. I was wondering if you'd tried any supplements to ease your symptoms. 5-HTP or L-tryptophan can be taken to increase serotonin, which is the neurotransmitter that helps you feel joy. Also, look into leaky gut syndrome. A very large portion of neurotransmitters are actually produced in your gut (weird, but true), so if your gut is dysfunctional, your brain likely is, too. Just my two cents. Much luck to you.

28 minutes ago, Lovejoy444 said:

Hi. I was wondering if you'd tried any supplements to ease your symptoms. 5-HTP or L-tryptophan can be taken to increase serotonin, which is the neurotransmitter that helps you feel joy. Also, look into leaky gut syndrome. A very large portion of neurotransmitters are actually produced in your gut (weird, but true), so if your gut is dysfunctional, your brain likely is, too. Just my two cents. Much luck to you.

First of all, if a serotonin deficiency is her issue (which I highly doubt since Wellbutrin doesn’t even affect serotonin), don’t you think taking a serotonin precursor like 5-HTP regularly could worsen her symptoms after a while just as psych drugs do? I understand where you’re coming from, and I myself have taken tryptophan and adaptogenic herbs and calming supplements and such to ease withdrawal symptoms on really bad days. But taking pills like 5-HTP on a daily basis might do more harm than good for many people in my opinion.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:55 PM, MiguelFreeman said:

Stop the negativity you did (Pardon my french) A stupid taper of fewer than 2 months what are you expecting to feel good only after what 8 months or more? I Ct and had to reinstate and it took 3 months or more to stabilize and ion this drugs a lot less time than you 

+ i am doing a very slow taper (yes i am suffering like hell fighting suicidal feelings and depression ) but I refuse to give up and you shude refuse 2 , remember the older you are the longer it takes to recover especially on your circumstances pls be strong and let time do its thing I was like you wondering if I will be like this permanent but guess what I refuse to give up and I refuse to accept defeat and soo shude you  

I know we all suffer but I am sick of people already giving up I am 19 y old it shude be the older people in here to lift the young people because you guys have a lot more experience 

I am not here to offend you but pls don't give up and don't think negatively it will only keep you down 

I am 19 too and an extremely neurotic/anxious person and I have spent hours upon hours stressing, crying, bawling my eyes out in despair over both withdrawal disorder and pssd for multiple months, but you don’t see me getting mad at older people for not uplifting me about this condition or having their own concerns about it. I know multiple people our age who have pssd and/or are suffering intensely from AD withdrawal who are far more relaxed and positive than I, and I have a friend who is a bit older than I who is currently severely depressed and suffering severely with AD withdrawal. Age doesn’t matter. Everyone is different, and you shouldn’t be telling older people not to express their concerns just because they should be “lifting the younger people up.” Just my opinion. . .

• Mentor
4 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

Hello, I am new to this site, so I will try my best.  I am currently on the benzobuddies.com site as well.   Here is my story:  I tapered off Klonopin 10 months ago (was on for 7 years).  I was also on Amitripytyline (for 7 years) tapered off that ....been off for 2 months.

I have horrible insomnia, sometimes cannot fall, or stay asleep.....also feel nausea...I think from not sleeping....I feel horrible everyday...I am not taking any supplements , as I want to clear my system of everything.    Is this insomnia from withdrawal?  How do we know?  What is scary is the unknown. I never had anything like this my whole life.  I am 57 years old, and in very good health.  I have been a runner for 37 years....and this is hard to do without sleep.   I feel like I am deteriorating.  

Any words of encouragement ...Thank you so much.

Hi Runnergirl,

Welcome aboard.  If you would like answers to your questions and guidance, which I have to say is very good here, you might want to go to "introductions and updates" and start your own thread.   You can find it here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/forum/3-introductions-and-updates/I think that way people will get to know you and you have a much better chance of getting some interaction.  Also one of the moderators might see it and weigh in. The moderators will also suggest that you do a signature which includes your medication history so they can see at a glance what is going on with you and will be better able to advise you. They will however explain that when you start you own page, if you choose to.

I'm very sorry for the reason you have to be here. You are in good company though and you will get plenty of encouragement on this site.  I'm sorry you are feeling so rotten right now but have great hopes that there is lot of relief in your future.

And to answer your question, yes I believe the insomnia and nausea is from withdrawal, but that is based on my experience, not from any expertise.

Warm wishes,

Rachel

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY