Sign in to follow this  
music321

Do you get injured easily?

music321

I've been suffering from various injuries for many years.  I wonder if I get injured as a result of having SSRI-induced weakening of the body.  Has anyone experienced anything similar?

JamesF

I think SSRI withdrawal definitely reduces resiliency to any kind of stress - be it physiological, mental, emotional.

I think its just to do with energy surplus and demands. As a crude model, we all have a certain amount of energy the body/mind can utilize for functioning in life, adapting to environmental stressors, healing, and so on.

SSRI withdrawal puts a big physiological drain on that energy, since the body requires it to heal. It also makes a lot of stimuli (e.g. light, noise) more energy draining than they would otherwise be due to hypersensitivity arising from physiological structure or processes that are yet to heal.

Given that SSRI withdrawal has eaten into this energy buffer, we have less energy than normal for other uses. For example for basic stress resiliency, temperature regulation, or as you say, perhaps bodily injuries.  We notice it in withdrawal because usually this energy buffer is large enough that we are oblivious to the demands of small stressors. For instance, we might normally be fine in cold temperatures, but during withdrawal, it feels uncomfortable and stressful. 

For me, the key here is cultivating sensitivity. Rather than worrying about whether SSRIs have compromised us, we must simply be sensitive to our energy surplus and the demands we are placing upon the body. Doing too much before regaining our resiliency can lead to being run down in many ways, and can also eat into the energy we require to heal. I used to be in a perpetual cycle of pushing too hard, crashing, pushing, crashing, and so on. Now that's shifted to be sensitive and gentle to energy management - to maximize both day to day wellbeing and long run healing. I wonder if injuries are happening because you're demanding too much of yourself.

Just a thought, Jay

UnfoldingSky

I keep suffering repeated injuries and I believe harm from psych drugs is partly to blame.

Someone here made the point that if your muscles are constantly tense they are easier to tear, which sounds feasible as an explanation (for muscle injuries.) I've suffered a severe injury lately and in trying to recover from it am finding I can't tolerate weight bearing exercises, they just make me more tense and this helps spiral me down further.  Physiotherapists act like I'm exaggerating but they just make it worse. 

Kiaza

I am constantly bruising and sometimes even touch feels painful. A year ago I bruised my knee in a rollerblading accident and it still hasn't healed properly. It is devastating how fragile these poisons make you.

Junglechicken

Yes, I think WD negatively impacts our ability to heal from injury.

I tore my calf muscle in January, and it still isn't right.