SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

HopeSpings: Withdrawing from AD

HopeSprings

I suffered from depression and was put onto fluoxetine (Prozac) about 10 years ago. Did 2 months on increasing doses but was having no effect.

Easy switch to citalopram. Upped to 60 mg. Seemed to control depression quite well for quite a while.

About 7 years ago citalopram stopped being effective enough so got moved to venlafaxine (Effexor).

Venlafaxine worked, but whenever I missed a dose (took extended release version and always took about 8am) i'd get a headache by about 2pm.

Since about June last year i've been coming off V. 225 to 150 jump I made without any problematic withdrawal symptoms.

Tried 150 to 75 and got bad symptoms, so back to 150.

Managed to get hold of Effexor brand with the beads (instead of generic pills) and titrated down to 75 mg over 7 months.

I did a slow taper some weeks at only 1.5 mg down, others up to about 5 mg down, depending on what was going on in my life.

Hit 75mg mid - January.

As i'm not currently working I thought i'd try a more severe drop to speed it up whilst I can spend whole day in bed and don't need to concentrate as much.

Did 15 mg week 1, then 15 mg week 2. Got side effects (headache, light-headedness, insomnia, lethargic - so the usual). Upped from that 45.5mg to 47.5 mg in hopes it'd cease symptoms. They got notably better, but by no means gone.

I've been doing my research online and spoke with doctor and agreed to bridge with prozac. So taken:

Yesterday: 10 mg Prozac, 47.5 mg V

Today: 10 mg Prozac, 47.5 mg V  + 3 mg V (additionally 3 mg V as felt light-headed). Getting a bit of nausia which I think is P side-effect (nothing I can't handle though)

In hind-sight I probably should have re-stabilised on V before adding prozac, but it's started now.

Any advice or thoughts on how to move forward from here would be appreciated.

10 years ago: Tried fluoxetine (Prozac) for a few months but didn't do much.

Moved to citalopram and upped to 60 mg. Stayed on citalopram for 3 years until stopped being effective enough.

Changed to venlafaxine (effexor) without notable withdrawal issues; On V for about 7 years, mostly at 225 mg

Started coming off V in June 2017. 225 - 150 jump with no notable withdrawals. 150 - 75 had to titrate SLOWLY. At 75 mg in mid-Jan.

75 - 45 did a bit of a jump as had time off work. Withdrawal issues. Upped to 48, still some WD, not as bad.

7th Feb 18: started prozac bridge. 10mg Prozac + 47.5 mg Venl.; 8th: 10mg Prozac + 50.5 mg Venl; 9th Feb 18 :10mg Prozac + 25 mg Venl.: 10th: 15mg Prozac + 0 V: 11th AM: 15mg P; PM: 25 mg V; 12th: 50 mg V + 5 mg P; Not sure if Prozac didn't agree with me or if switch was too rapid. 13th + 14th: 55 mg V + 0 P; 15th: 57.5mg V

Supplements: Fish oil, Vit B complex, Chlorphenamine maleate (OTC meds to help sleep)

• ChessieCat changed the title to HopeSpings: Withdrawing from AD

So, still attempting prozac bridge, and not sure what symptoms are what:

-Side effects of prozac? (and if so are these temporary or will they continue?)

-Venlafaxine withdrawal?

Headache - intermittent (could be either)

Sleepiness (definetely P. Venlafaxine withdrawal makes me sleep badly)

Dissociation (not sure)

Flu-like lethargy (not sure)

Planning to keep going with prozac bridge and re-assess a few days after switch complete. If side effects or withdrawal still bad i'll move back to V before spend too long on P to get WD issues from that.

*Fingers crossed something works*

Moved to citalopram and upped to 60 mg. Stayed on citalopram for 3 years until stopped being effective enough.

Changed to venlafaxine (effexor) without notable withdrawal issues; On V for about 7 years, mostly at 225 mg

Started coming off V in June 2017. 225 - 150 jump with no notable withdrawals. 150 - 75 had to titrate SLOWLY. At 75 mg in mid-Jan.

75 - 45 did a bit of a jump as had time off work. Withdrawal issues. Upped to 48, still some WD, not as bad.

7th Feb 18: started prozac bridge. 10mg Prozac + 47.5 mg Venl.; 8th: 10mg Prozac + 50.5 mg Venl; 9th Feb 18 :10mg Prozac + 25 mg Venl.: 10th: 15mg Prozac + 0 V: 11th AM: 15mg P; PM: 25 mg V; 12th: 50 mg V + 5 mg P; Not sure if Prozac didn't agree with me or if switch was too rapid. 13th + 14th: 55 mg V + 0 P; 15th: 57.5mg V

Supplements: Fish oil, Vit B complex, Chlorphenamine maleate (OTC meds to help sleep)

• Administrator

Welcome, HopeSprings.

You have been taking 10mg Prozac plus 47.5mg venlafaxine since Wednesday?

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. This will be important to identify side effects from the drugs.

If you are accustomed to 47.5mg venlafaxine or somewhat less for several weeks, it is possible the additional effect of Prozac will make you feel odd.

It will take about 4 days for the Prozac to get to steady-state in your bloodstream. It will be important to track how your symptoms change as the Prozac fully takes effect.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome Hopesprings 

Hey well done on doing a drug signature without even being asked. What joy.

So glad you found sa.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi Alto and NZ11,

Thanks for your replies.

I have been on:

7th - 10 mg Prozac, 47.5 mg V

8th - 10 mg Prozac, 50.5 mg V

9th - 10 mg Prozac, 25 mg V

10th - 15 mg Prozac, 0 V

From what i've read people complete switch in different times, from direct switch the next day, to tailoring over a period of weeks. My doctor (who doesn't know anything about AD withdrawal) suggested I stay on 50 mg V and take 20 mg Prozac for 1 month then re-assess. I said I wasn't prepared to do this as I didn't want my body getting used to the additional AD.

I personally think the switch will either work or it will not (albiet I do need to give P some time to stabilise and to give side effects a chance to go away) and i'm thinking I will see in a few days from now how I feel and either:

1. Continue to trial just P to see if further side effects/WD leaves
  2. Switch back to V
  3. Or hopefully, if no SE or WD, continue just on P!

Yes, I have started keeping a symptoms diary. I had been recording doses before now, but not kept proper track of symptoms, before reading your suggests on here. Wish I had done before as it would make it easier to figure out what i'd had with V withdrawal before.

Again, any suggestions on my approach are welcome. At the moment i'm just finding my way based on feedback from my body and others' experiences online.

Really really wishing I hadn't got impatient and withdrawn from 75 to 45 so quickly! Would make everything so much easier! Suppose it's a learning curve that once you've done it once, I hopefully won't make that mistake again!

Having a lot of either side effects or withdrawal today, which I expected.

I was wondering though if anyone has some thoughts about what to do next in each situation. I'm asking now as I know people don't check this everyday so i'd like to have it there ready for when the time comes:

• SE/WD arn't ok at the moment. How long should I wait to see if it improves? I know Prozac takes a while to build up so sticking on 10 - 15 mg for at least 2 more days is my plan. Any thoughts on if I should leave it longer if not getting any better? What about if i'm seeing improvement?
  • If it doesn't get any better (at point I decide it's had long enough to work - whether that's 2 days or 2 weeks) how should I switch back to Venl. I am thinking do a similar transition with dropping prozac and increase venl. maybe over a few days?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Ok, so I think I could really do with some help here!

Getting various symptoms:

• Dissociation (feels like head and body arn't properly connected)
  • Electric zap like sensations in body
  • Complete lack of concentration
  • Lethargy, but also alertness
  • Getting a bit panicky about it all too!

Don't know whether to:

• stop Prozac and return to Venlafaxine
  • Up prozac to get a better level into body (I know it takes a little while to build up), maybe take a bit extra now
  • Take a bit of V to help

Any suggestions before I implode?

Ok, given in and taken 25 mg V as not going to be able to cope with this! (footer is up to date for anyone wanting to see where i'm up to with meds!)

Don't know if P will take effect, and yet I know V has worked till recently!

I think my head is messed up!! GRRR!!!!

Might change my mind by tomorrow, but from what i've been reading on this site, think i'll move back to V.

Maybe take 5 P + 50mg V tomorrow.

Day after: 50 mg V + 5 P

Then stick on 50mg V. If stable hold for at least 1 month! If not increase amount of V to hopefully become stable! :(

HS was this bridge planned out by the doc or was it your idea and the doc just took a whatever approach?

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi NZ, thanks for your response.

It was a mixture. My doctor thought of switching to an alternative anti-depressant without me mentioning I know this is a way other people have done it.

He initially wanted me to take 50mg V + 20mg P for a whole month. I said I wasn't prepared to do that as it meant upping the amount of AD in my body for, what I felt, was too long a period.

okay sounds like you were having wdl symptoms because tapering too fast. And the doc not knowing about wdl issues wanted to switch you.

Sounds like you are well into unwinding it.

Do keep posting and let us know how it goes.

Recovering paxil addict

Hi NZ,

Yes I thought my doctor might just be doing that also.

Think i'm happy to take V down a very slow taper (hopefully learnt my lesson about going too fast), but scared atm that I won't be able to stabilise on V.

My body never accepted the 75 to 60 drop and I continued to drop to 45. Then upped to 48 still with withdrawal symptoms.

I'm planning on taking to 50 and see what happens, and I don't mind going up further if needed (back to 75). Just scared atm that my body won't accept and stabilise back on the V for me to hold without WD symptoms!

Drop to 60mg from 75mg was 21st Jan

Drop to 45mg from 60mg was 26th Jan

Up to 48mg on 1st Feb and held with WD

Started this switch with drop in V 9th Feb at 25mg (prozac started a few days before and continued)

10th Feb 0mg V (10 P)

11th Feb 25mg V (yesterday when body and head were freaking out) (15mg P)

12th Feb 50mg V (today) (and 5 P).

Really worried that the rapid drop from 21st January and continuing withdrawal symptoms since then will mean I won't be able to stabilise on V!

Do you think I should start taking 60mg again tomorrow? If I don't feel right again today i'm thinking it might be way to go. Or up to maybe 55mg for now?

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, HopeSprings said:

I suffered from depression and was put onto fluoxetine (Prozac) about 10 years ago. Did 2 months on increasing doses but was having no effect.

Easy switch to citalopram. Upped to 60 mg. Seemed to control depression quite well for quite a while.

About 7 years ago citalopram stopped being effective enough so got moved to venlafaxine (Effexor).

Venlafaxine worked, but whenever I missed a dose (took extended release version and always took about 8am) i'd get a headache by about 2pm.

Since about June last year i've been coming off V. 225 to 150 jump I made without any problematic withdrawal symptoms.

Tried 150 to 75 and got bad symptoms, so back to 150.

Managed to get hold of Effexor brand with the beads (instead of generic pills) and titrated down to 75 mg over 7 months.

I did a slow taper some weeks at only 1.5 mg down, others up to about 5 mg down, depending on what was going on in my life.

Hit 75mg mid - January.

As i'm not currently working I thought i'd try a more severe drop to speed it up whilst I can spend whole day in bed and don't need to concentrate as much.

Did 15 mg week 1, then 15 mg week 2. Got side effects (headache, light-headedness, insomnia, lethargic - so the usual). Upped from that 45.5mg to 47.5 mg in hopes it'd cease symptoms. They got notably better, but by no means gone.

I've been doing my research online and spoke with doctor and agreed to bridge with prozac. So taken:

Yesterday: 10 mg Prozac, 47.5 mg V

Today: 10 mg Prozac, 47.5 mg V  + 3 mg V (additionally 3 mg V as felt light-headed). Getting a bit of nausia which I think is P side-effect (nothing I can't handle though)

In hind-sight I probably should have re-stabilised on V before adding prozac, but it's started now.

Any advice or thoughts on how to move forward from here would be appreciated.

Hi HS welcome to SA ,I have a question about tapering Effexor beads ,did you count them out or weight them .I'm also a V victim .

You are going to have to be calm ,you are rightly so panicking over stabilising but from what I know it will take a while to do this ,please give yourself time ,

you will not die trust me ,I'm a member in prolonged withdrawl  so I'm very well aware of all your fears .

please go to the symptoms and self care section and read up on ways to cope with withdrawl ,take a good deep breathe .

You also said it yourself you don't have the worry of work so take this to be an advantage and rest and learn all the ways to cope .

Get good at avoiding situations and threads that will worry you further and worsen your symptoms .

Take great care .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hi Powerback,

14 minutes ago, powerback said:

Get good at avoiding situations and threads that will worry you further and worsen your symptoms

I think you might be totally correct there in that i've been reading other threads and got worried about my body becoming sensitized to V!

I shall stop reading these and stick to the self-care sections and maybe success stories!

I had counted beads in a capsule for a few capsules and made an approximate dose per bead.

I would then by eye, depending on dose, half or quarter a capsule (or keep whole) to nearest to the dose I wanted. Then I would add or remove the required beads to get to correct dose.

E.g. 60 mg dose was a 75mg capsule minus 50 beads.

I know it's not exact, but seemed to work ok.

What way have you found best to do?

I think the P might be making me more anxious too! I'm not normally this bad...

Sorry to hear you've been stuck on V also. How's your withdrawal going?

2 hours ago, HopeSprings said:

Hi Powerback,

I think you might be totally correct there in that i've been reading other threads and got worried about my body becoming sensitized to V!

I shall stop reading these and stick to the self-care sections and maybe success stories!

I had counted beads in a capsule for a few capsules and made an approximate dose per bead.

I would then by eye, depending on dose, half or quarter a capsule (or keep whole) to nearest to the dose I wanted. Then I would add or remove the required beads to get to correct dose.

E.g. 60 mg dose was a 75mg capsule minus 50 beads.

I know it's not exact, but seemed to work ok.

What way have you found best to do?

I think the P might be making me more anxious too! I'm not normally this bad...

Sorry to hear you've been stuck on V also. How's your withdrawal going?

Im a year and a half of majority brutal withdrawal,I dont like to drown on to new members about it ,it doesnt help with your proccess at this time ,thanks for asking .

Dont take this proccess lightly ,its very serious ,I didnt take it seriously enough until I crashed and have been in withdrawl since .im blaming the drugs for making me very confused even on a functional basis .

Take great care.

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Yep, definitely taking it seriously! And hopefully learning my lessons along the way!

I want all ADs out of my system, but accept this will be a long process.

I may ask you some more about your experiences at a later date, but think i'll leave that till i'm a bit more settled on meds. I know whatever I settle on i'll have to hold on for quite a while...

7 minutes ago, HopeSprings said:

Yep, definitely taking it seriously! And hopefully learning my lessons along the way!

I want all ADs out of my system, but accept this will be a long process.

I may ask you some more about your experiences at a later date, but think i'll leave that till i'm a bit more settled on meds. I know whatever I settle on i'll have to hold on for quite a while...

Ide offload all day but I want to respect your recovery ,get used to holding ,this is the key ,trust me it can always get worse .

Don't drain your energy trying  to get others in your peer group to understand it ,they simply just could never.vent on your thread .we all love a vent/rant 

Take care and I wish you a road to recovery with as  little as possible potholes .

PB 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hi,

So i'm feeling quite a bit better after reversing the prozac bridge and upping to 55mg V.

I'm still having headaches though and still feeling quite anxious and nauseous sometimes. I know some of the prozac will still be in my body though as only been about 4 days since stopping it.

How long should I leave it to see if these remaining symptoms go and if they don't should I up-dose again to 58 or 60mg to try to get rid of remaining symptoms?

Just read your thread with considerable interest, HS.

I too am dealing with "V" withdrawal.

I have tapered from peaking at 225mg in 2016 down to 69mg today.  All with the knowledge and guidance gained from this most helpful website - SA.

I have capsules containing either 12.5mg minitabs or beads.

I computed a table of mg in beads and was pleased to see you, yourself, get about 50 beads per 15mg.  My table gives 48 beads per 15mg, so that is reassuring for us both, I would say!

I dont have the complication of the prozac bridge involved, but if you are steady on venlafaxine only, it will be interesting for us to compare our progress.

I have been feeling a bit down after my 28 days holding at 69mg, so a hold will probably be best for me for a while.  I have held last year at times, due to a house move after 38 years and I got through things OK to make <10% reductions again.

I am suspecting that things might get tricky for me after being on V since 2002 and now hitting low doses I have not been on in 12 years.  I am 72, so I expect you will have youth on your side and will do better!

Warm regards & best wishes,

peng

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

@HopeSprings, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.