Merrymary: Tapering clonazepam and want to taper remeron also

Merrymary

Moderator note:  link to Merrymary's benzo thread - Merrymary: Tapering clonazepam and want to start remeron taper

Hello, I'm from Québec, so my langage si french...I hope to write in a proper english and sorry if I don't do so...

So I've been tapering 1mg of clonazepam since september...I'm down to 0,19 mg...trough the course of my withdrawal I took seroquel for 6 weeks from 12,5 to 3,5... I didn't like the feeling and found it was bad with the gaba. So I switched to remeron at first 15 mg then to 7,5 mg for the last six weeks...at first I was sleeping well than in the last month I began to have insomnia...and the more it goes the less it's effective...also I'm feeling very dizzy and tired...I've been taking it for a total of 2 and a half month...I don't know what to do now...I'm afraid of being stuck with the remeron and I still have a long taper of klonopin ahead of me...

Do I have to do a long  taper since I am a short time user...and also maybe remeron is masking some of the effects of the  withdrawal from clonazepam...

I know now that remeron was a bad choice...

Thank you for your precious support

•  
Edited by Shep
added link to benzo forum thread

Escitalopram 2010-2011 10mg-5mg-2,5mg stopped

Escitalopram 2012-2013 for  same dosage, same rate 8 months

Escitalopram 2013-2014 for same dosage, same rate 1 year...after 17 days was hit by a bad wave that lasted 2 months...

Klonopin 1mg  twice a week from 2014 to 2017...than everyday from june to august 2017...went into tolerance... Tried to stop was really sick...reintroduced Escitalopram for 4 days bad reaction...zoloft for 3 weeks bad  reaction...

Seroquel for 6 weeks

Miirtazapine from november until now...15mg...too drowsy...dropped to 7,5 mg

tapering klonopin since september...down to 0,18mg from 1mg...took the mirtazapine to help with sleep and symptoms but feel like a zombie all the Time....

• ChessieCat changed the title to Merrymary: Tapering clonazepam and want to taper remeron also
  • Administrator

Welcome, MerryMary.

The sleep problems may be a withdrawal symptom from the clonazepam reduction. If I were you, I would stop tapering clonazepam for a while, let your nervous system settle down.

What times of day do you take your drugs, at what dosages? Do you have any other symptoms beside the sleep difficulties?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you...I've been following your advice and it helped. 

I'm sorry for taking so long to answer. I really appreciate your support.

I have contacted a compound pharmacy for a liquid version of mirtazapine since it seems like I have a very long taper in front of me ( also tapering clonazepam). I know some say it is better to withdraw from benzo first than the antidepressant, but I feel that if I go very slow with both, it will be ok. 

What do you think?

Escitalopram 2013-2014 for same dosage, same rate 1 year...after 17 days was hit by a bad wave that lasted 2 months...

Klonopin 1mg  twice a week from 2014 to 2017...than everyday from june to august 2017...went into tolerance... Tried to stop was really sick...reintroduced Escitalopram for 4 days bad reaction...zoloft for 3 weeks bad  reaction...

Seroquel for 6 weeks

tapering klonopin since september...down to 0,18mg from 1mg...took the mirtazapine to help with sleep and symptoms but feel like a zombie all the Time....

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Merrymary and welcome from me too,

We ask all members to create a drug signature.  Please use the preferred format:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

SA does not recommend tapering 2 drugs at the same time.  If you develop withdrawal symptoms you will not know which one is causing it so will not know which one to updose (if necessary) which means you would probably updose both which in the long run may end up taking you longer to get off your drugs.  From the large number of experiences on this site slow and steady seems to be the best approach.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?
If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant (ADHD drug).

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi...like I wrote before my english is not so good...so please be gentle with me...

I have been reading a lot  of posts here...this is such a nice and caring commnunity...

Since all of this klonopin mess, my life is not the same...I usually am a teacher...I' m not working cause I'm too sick from the tapering...I'm half a girlfriend and half a mother...my family suffers from all this...

I took remeron cause I was afraid of not sleeping well and wanted to lessened the anxiety from the taper...

At first my taper was messed by bad advice from doctors and pharmacists...then I followed the Ashton Manual and a lot of informations from all the support groups.

Now I am more stable...but I now understand the mess I am in with the remeron added. Big mistake...Should of learned how to live with the withdrawal symptoms...which are still pretty bad...

I know it's not recommanded to taper both...but If it's possible to do at a very slow rate, I would like to try.

The remeron is causing me a lot of dizziness, blurred vision, balance problems and low energy. Also I feel like a zombie most of the time.

I would like to slowly get from 7,5mg to 3,5 mg to see if I feel less sedated all day.

I read the signature of a staff member here, Rhiannon, who got more functionnal from a multitaper.

I'm looking for some of your wisdom, experience and tips to help me get a bit better...or  a lot more if it is possible in this situation!!!

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/02/2018 at 4:19 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, MerryMary.

The sleep problems may be a withdrawal symptom from the clonazepam reduction. If I were you, I would stop tapering clonazepam for a while, let your nervous system settle down.

What times of day do you take your drugs, at what dosages? Do you have any other symptoms beside the sleep difficulties?

Alto is the site's founder.

She has asked:  What times of day do you take your drugs, at what dosages?

Please answer her question.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Ho sorry...I forgot to answer,

I take both of them at bedtime...7,5 mg mirtazapine and 0,18 clonazepam.

Seroquel for 6 weeks

Sometimes I feel like I have Chronic fatigue...cause my energy is low and If I exercice, I have to rest after...even if it's a gentle yoga...

Thank you for your support it means a lot in this situation.

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus

Fatigue and low energy are common withdrawal symptoms.   

PDF Monthly List of Dr Glenmullen's Symptoms to Print & PDF Monthly List BLANK to Print

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you Gridley.

Since I have slowed my taper, anxiety is much lower,  I sleep better but the fatigue is crushing...

I see you are also tapering a benzo. how are you doing?

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm holding on the benzo until I finish my Lexapro taper.  Then I will decide whether to taper the benzo next or the Imipramine.

I'm glad your anxiety is much lower.  That's a very good sign.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Yes It's more bearable to be sedated than anxious...

But stil...I want to be back to more functional if possible... I am 47 and would like to go back to Work  in september . I'm a teacher. So If I really hold or slow my taper would I feel better... 

Could I stop or reduce this deezy state I am in, almost constantly...

What is causing this...the benzo withdrawal, the remeron or both of them? Only my csn knows and it's not telling me at l'est not clearly!!!

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus

You are doing well with the slow taper.  I would continue with that.  You can also hold if you feel you are going too fast.  

It is hard to say what's causing the fatigue.  Your taper from 15mg Mirt to 7.5 was fast and could be a factor in your symptoms.  But you seem to be doing well, that's what's important.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Sorry for all the mistakes in my text. I have a french corrector and it's always suggesting some french words and most of them I correct...but some just slips...

Let say that I am kind of 70 percent...so not enough to be a mother, or a spouse or enough to be myself...and not a teacher definitely...

I don't want to complain... I want to go through this and be a whole New me...better I hope!!!

I went to 7,5 after trying 15 for a few days, maybe a week and that was 2 months ago...

So you're holding, how are you feeling in general?

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm holding the benzo and the Imipramine (tricyclic antidepressant) while I'm tapering the Lexapro 2 1/2% per week for four weeks, then holding for 2 weeks, then tapering again.  I've been feeling much better than 2 months ago and certainly better than a year ago.  Maybe it's that I'm getting lower in my Lexapro dosage.  My morning anxiety that really bothered me before is gone, my insomnia is better and I'm getting 6-8 hours sleep.  I too have fatigue and not a lot of motivation to do anything, but I have managed to do some gardening and minor house projects the last couple of weeks.  I still have anhedonia (no real pleasure in anything) and apathy but those are common symptoms, and I have read they will lift in time.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Hi Gridley,

I know how you feel...I would like to feel joy  and peace of mind again...I don't allow myself cause I feel like I'm waiting to feel better. I'm usually a chearfull person and I Try to fake it sometimes.

I would like to know, because nobody has answered yet, can I do a slow taper of the mirtazapine as the same time of my clonazepam taper...because I feel sedated all the Time and dizzy and so tired.

I would like to Come out of this brain fog state.

Thank you for your support

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus

We generally advise that you taper only one drug at a time, because if you have a problem, it would be difficult to tell which drug was causing it.   I would wait until you have finished the klonopin taper before starting the Mirt taper.  

You're down very low on the K -- congratulations.  A word of caution:  It is best to taper as low as possible before jumping.  If at all possible 0.1mg or smaller.  Those tiny doses are a pain to try and work with, but it will really pay off in the end.  Rhiannon, one of our moderators, wrote this a while back:

"Overall, at the lowest doses it's best to go very slowly, in my opinion. The upside of that approach is large: You can minimize the chance of going too fast, getting sick, having to reinstate and start over, and all the disruptions and misery that come with withdrawal. And the downside is very small: at such a low dose, the side effects and dangerous drug effects are minimal, and if you go slow enough to keep feeling good you'll already be enjoying many benefits of coming down to such a low dose so you won't be feeling the need to hurry.

So I would say, make those last cuts small and the breaks between them long. Take your time. I have seen many many people get into trouble and fail tapers because of going too fast at the end, but I've never seen anyone fail by going too slow.

Let me add, as someone tapering, I know this is easier said than done! You get close to that finish line and you want to rush there. But this is really the time when going slow will give you the maximum benefit for the minimum price."

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Thank you...for supporting and helping. 

I Will go slow...I'm learning...

Do you have a clue for that crushing fatigue. Would holding help?

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus

Either or both of your drugs could be causing the problem.  One of Mirt's common side effects is the fatigue you describe.  Klonopin also has fatigue as a side effect.  Although you are at a very low dose, it could be having that effect.  

Regarding holding, my best guess is if you held you would just be continuing the current situation.  Definitely do not rush anything.  Just continue with your slow K taper.  Once you're off K,  then you'll be able to get to the more likely fatigue villain, the Mirt.  Again, please don't be tempted to rush.  Fatigue is unpleasant, I know (I have it) but you are doing so well, please continue your slow cautious successful course.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I was wishing that by holding I would feel better...that my csn would heal a bit...

I am afraid I went too fast and compromised my health. Do I need to updose to feel better...I don't want to be disabled for Life after that...I am not working cause I am too tired to do so...and also other symptoms are too difficult to be functional most of the Time...

I want to go slow for now on to avoid acute and a long post withdrawal after...I know no one Can   predict all this, but I want to have the Best chances to succeed...

So can I heal while tapering if I go slow...or is it too late and I have already done some damages...

Thank you for your wisdom on all this...I'm sorry if I seems so stressed but I feel I have to take the Best decisions and this game is a tricky one to play.

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus

No, you  have done no irreparable damage.  The brain is amazingly good at repairing itself.  You did not compromise your health.  I repeat, you have done no irreparable damage.

Healing is the main focus now, not working.

Hold on the Mirt  at 7.5.  You will have to endure to the fatigue for a while. You need to let your system adjust to the new dosage.   

Yes, it is a tricky game.  Yes, you can heal if you go slow.  

I suggest you hold on the K taper for a couple of weeks, and then let's see how you are feeling before doing anything.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you so much...

Your support and advices means a lot.

Gridley you made me feel at peace. And that is big! Taking some of your Time to help others will give you Many thanks  from Life.

Chessie cat, I will take Time to read and learn, because we have to learn from all this.

I don't know if I make any sense in english because I think in french and translate.

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Merrymary said:

I don't know if I make any sense in english because I think in french and translate.

You are doing very well with your English.

Thank you Chessie cat...you're so sweet!

Seroquel for 6 weeks

Hi,

I'm tapering clonazepam and taking remeron at 7,5mg since three months...

At first I thought that I was only dizzy but I am afraid I'm having some visual problems too.

I don't want to have permanent damages.

Thank you for sharing your experience

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Merrymary,

I moved you now post to your Intro topic.  Each member has only 1 Intro topic where they can ask questions and journal their progress.

There are many existing topics on this site.  I use a search engine (google) and include survivingantidepressants.org in my search term.  Eg survivingantidepressants.org vision

This is the link to the topic I found.  Click on the upward pointing arrow of the box below:

Edited by ChessieCat
updated link

• 8 months later...

Good morning,

I am done with the clonazapam since  10 days, after a 14 months taper.

The mirtazapine 7,5 mg always seemed to make me sicker so I felt I had to lower it.

I know this isn't recommanded but for the last 8 months I also tapered the Mirtazapine from 7,5 to 3,75...yes too fast...but tapering for years is something that would make me feel hopeless.

I took 0,1 mg out every week...I did suffer from insomnia sometimes sleeping less, and a few sleepless nights, maybe 6 during the hole Time...

Since a week, out of despair I speeded my taper...foolish of me...I was having such bad depression and was desperate...

So instead of going from 4,2 to 4,1...I went from 4, 2 to 4,0...then two days after 4,0 to 3,75... I wanted to see If I could handle it...obviously not...I am now sleeping one night 8 Hours and the other night 2-3 hours...I do feel the heavy sedation at the beginning of the night for a good two hours...but then feel awake until 4 a.m. whenI finally get some sleep...

And last night, I thought of updosing back to 4,1 but made a mistake and updosed to 4,5...

Altostrata can you help me get my sleep back...should I updose and hold? 

Thank you for your precious time

Seroquel for 6 weeks

I updosed to 4 mg...

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Administrator

Hello, Merrymary. Since you are only recently off clonazepam, if I were you, I'd take 4mg mirtazapine for a couple of months, don't make any more drug changes.

What is your sleep pattern now? Has the fatigue changed?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you,

Not good...I slept 1-2 Hours for the two last nights! 

You ou think that mirt is going paradoxal because the clonazepam is getting out of my system!!!

Hope to stabilise and get my sleep back!

Seroquel for 6 weeks

And sorry for the pm...I didn't see you had already answered!

Seroquel for 6 weeks

• Administrator

Right now, I don't think the mirtazpine has gone paradoxical. But you have made many drug changes recently, which upset your nervous system, and you need to let your nervous system settle down.

Over the next 10 days, you should see some calming. Please let us know how you are doing.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a good idea to keep daily notes on paper so you can be objective about your symptoms.  This is an example:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Edited by ChessieCat

• 3 years later...

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.