mutley

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

MNgal1960

Thanks Scallwag. I wasn't sure. I thought that the 24 hours was referring to the extended release form. My brain isn't working so well. I will try to read it again.

FreeSpirit, I have been trying to use a digital scale and dry cutting, but I find it so frustrating and my scale is hard to calibrate. I was hoping I could make up a batch of liquid more easily. But if I have to make a fresh batch every day, that will also be too difficult for me. I'm not in good shape and am usually alone.

MNgal1960

I have been holding and dry cutting for weeks and have been continued to experience a big spike in my neuropathy. Could the inaccuracy of dry cutting Seroquel cause neuropathy? I have heard suspensions are more accurate, but I don't know if I'm mentally up to figuring out how to make a suspension. The directions are so confusing and I can't afford OraPlus.

Has anyone ever heard of tapering Seroquel causing neuropathy? It could be something else. I've had it in the past from other triggers. I am trying to figure out what the trigger could be. I'm barely functioning.

Sorry if I asked this elsewhere and forgot. My memory is shot.

Justin

I have been holding and dry cutting for weeks and have been continued to experience a big spike in my neuropathy. Could the inaccuracy of dry cutting Seroquel cause neuropathy? I have heard suspensions are more accurate, but I don't know if I'm mentally up to figuring out how to make a suspension. The directions are so confusing and I can't afford OraPlus.

Has anyone ever heard of tapering Seroquel causing neuropathy? It could be something else. I've had it in the past from other triggers. I am trying to figure out what the trigger could be. I'm barely functioning.

Hi MNgal1960,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.  I have been following some of the previous instruction in order to cut down on Seroquel.  Specifically, every 2 weeks or so I reduce the dose by 5%.  This is a slightly more conservative way of reducing 10% per month as others on this board recommend.  This approach works well for me.  I'm using the following scale in order to weigh the pills:  https://amzn.com/B0012TDNAM.  I use a razor blade to cut them.  If you have trouble with the cutting being inaccurate and the target weight is difficult to achieve you could have your doctor prescribe you with multiple pills of smaller doses and cut down the smaller mg pills (for instance, rather than cutting down 50mg pill I find it easier to cut down a single 25mg pill and take that along with a whole 25mg pill in order to get back to the 47.5mg range..)

-Justin

MNgal1960

Hi MNgal1960,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.  I have been following some of the previous instruction in order to cut down on Seroquel.  Specifically, every 2 weeks or so I reduce the dose by 5%.  This is a slightly more conservative way of reducing 10% per month as others on this board recommend.  This approach works well for me.  I'm using the following scale in order to weigh the pills:  https://amzn.com/B0012TDNAM.  I use a razor blade to cut them.  If you have trouble with the cutting being inaccurate and the target weight is difficult to achieve you could have your doctor prescribe you with multiple pills of smaller doses and cut down the smaller mg pills (for instance, rather than cutting down 50mg pill I find it easier to cut down a single 25mg pill and take that along with a whole 25mg pill in order to get back to the 47.5mg range..)

-Justin

Thanks, Justin. I am trying to cut down the smallest tablet available using a filet-type knife that is almost as thin as a razor blade and a mg scale. I'm just really bad at it. On multiple meds. Tired and clumsy, so my manual dexterity isn't the greatest.

I'm below 25mg and have been going v-e-r-y slowly. I also have an autoimmune disorder so sometimes it's impossible to tell if the illness is causing the symptoms or the taper is too fast. Or if I'm just the world's worst dry cutter! :P

I'm glad to hear things are going well for you so far. It sounds like you are a good dry cutter.

genlady

From personal experience, coming off Seroquel was a nightmare.  I was on 600mg. and tapered by 25mg. per month and still had sweating/chills, vomiting, mood swings, hallucinations, pychotic epidoses, head burning sensations, dizziness, sensitive to light and sound, vision problems.  Be very careful if you are sensitive to chemicals like I am .  While on anti depressants I was very sensitive to the side effects as well.  

genlady

I experienced neuropathy while coming off Seroquel.  I have been off of it for five months and still have it, but not as severe.  

MNgal1960

Hi gen. I'm sorry to hear you still have neuropathy. I decided to try liquifying my Seroquel so that my dosing was more stable and so I could make much smaller cuts in hopes of making my symptoms less severe. I just can't seem to make small enough cuts with my mg scale.

lanah

I read that Shep only slept for 3 hours when she hit 12 mgs, i'm in the same place now also only sleeping 3 hours. I've been holding for three months now and i still get those 
nights. So i was wondering if this is typical around this dosage? 

MNgal1960

I have read of people who have only taken half of a 25mg tablet for sleep, so 12.5mg. These people were not withdrawing though. It was their regular dose.

Altostrata

Most people will stabilize after a reduction within a week. We recommend reductions at monthly intervals to give the nervous system a good 3 weeks to settle down between cuts.

See

scallywag
On 2017-07-17 at 1:07 PM, dukke said:

In your experience, how much time should you wait after you have stabilized on a particular dosage, before you start tapering again? This might be a better indicator then the 1 month 10% taper rule..

On 2017-07-17 at 2:21 PM, Altostrata said:

Most people will stabilize after a reduction within a week. We recommend reductions at monthly intervals to give the nervous system a good 3 weeks to settle down between cuts.

There are some members who have reported that their symptoms didn't show up until close to 3 weeks after a dose decrease on an "anti-psychotic."  It wouldn't hurt to take longer holds than 3-4 weeks, especially at the start of your taper so that you learn your symptom pattern.

rapunzel2

has anybody experienced weight gain when withdrawing seroquel? I know that mostly it causes weight gain while taking it. however, I have been very slim all my life and even taking seroquel didn't change that. but now I'm gaining weight, although I'm eating very healthily. I'm trying to understand, is this weight gain because of seroquel (which messes with metabolism pretty badly) or because of fluoxetine withdrawal. 

JanCarol

I just found this article about the many doctors who prescribe Seroquel (off label!)  for sleep - 

National Post - Drug Safety Expert urges Doctors to stop Prescribing Antipsychotic (Seroquel) for Insomnia)

Yes, rapunzel - Seroquel causes metabolism and blood sugar imbalances which can remove appetite control (always hungry! never satiated!) and cause weight gain.

I would suggest that you not worry about your weight until you've been off the drugs for awhile - as it takes awhile to re-adjust your metabolism.  Focus on healthy eating and keep moving - work on improving your cardiovascular fitness and muscle strength and flexibility.  Some people have the weight melt away, some of us have to work harder at it after the drugs are gone (that's me).  You will never know which drug is the source of the problem, as all of them fiddle the endocrine system in some way.  

Looking at what is done is counterproductive.  Look instead at what you want to do.

rapunzel2

thanks, JanCarol! 

ChessieCat

From the first page of this topic:

On 09/08/2014 at 5:55 AM, mammaP said:

You could ask your doctor to switch you over to immediate release tablets and make a liquid from them as above.  Many members make their own liquid from their tablets and get on fine with it. 

Altostrata

Hi, dukke. We need to take up the insomnia and other symptoms on your Intro thread 😊

In the US, generics are permitted to have some degree of dosage variance -- and so do the brand-names. I would call the manufacturer of the generic quetiapine available in Spain to see what their quality assurance guidelines are. I believe the EU is somewhat more strict than the US.

If you feel confident in the response, you might try a switch by taking a partial dose of the brand-name with a partial dose of the generic for a while. Many of our members have moved to generics in this way. Otherwise, some people are sensitive to the differences between drug brands.

Deee

I have read this thread and the main admin note which are very helpful, but haven’t found anyone with experience tapering off 50 mg XR seroquel. What has the experience been moving completely from XR to immediate release (and then tappering)? Or has anyone gone from 50 XR to nothing at all since this is the lowest dosage in XR? 

Altostrata

Hello, Deee. Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions section of this site. While you're there, use search for "seroquel" and you will see many people tapering Seroquel.

Do not go from 50mg Seroquel XR to nothing. That is known as cold turkey.

You can always make an intermediate dosage of Seroquel by adding an amount in liquid form:

On 9/27/2012 at 6:19 PM, Altostrata said:

Use a combination of tablets or capsules and liquid

Rather than switch directly to an all-liquid dose, you may wish to take part of your dose in liquid and part in lower-dose tablets or capsules, gradually converting to all liquid as you get to lower dosages. This can be very convenient and reduce any problems switching from one form of the drug to another.

For example, you may wish to take a 50mg Seroquel XR tablet and the rest in liquid for your daily dose. ....

Altostrata

Good points. A wiki would be a better way to present the tapering topics. I suppose I could close all the tapering topics to comments and avoid the comment-moving. But we also want people to add their own suggestions for tapering techniques. We want to present high-utility tapering information that's widely applicable.

Most of the views of the Tapering forum are from unregistered guests peeking in from searches on the Web.

Usually, a person asking a question in a Tapering topic about their own personal taper is not widely applicable, as it requires so much context particular to that person. That is why comments are moved -- responses would take a Tapering topic off-topic.

We also want to keep case histories all together in the Introductions forum, to educate doctors. Believe it or not, there are doctors who read this site and learn from the case histories. If it was the usual disorganized Internet forum, the progress of any individual would be all over the site and pretty much lost as valuable information.

The Introductions forum is highly trafficked by members who can respond to posts. The mods look at the Introductions forum first for any questions regarding tapering. Questions about individual tapers can be lost elsewhere. If you have questions about your personal taper, please post them in your Introductions topic.

ChessieCat

Here is SA's topic:  generic-vs-brand-versions-of-antidepressants

2 hours ago, dukke said:

What do you think is the best option for tapering? Generic or the "real" brand? Or doesn't matter?

Consistency is important, so choosing one and sticking to it is better.

Altostrata
On 5/24/2018 at 12:46 PM, Altostrata said:

Hi, dukke. We need to take up the insomnia and other symptoms on your Intro thread 😊

In the US, generics are permitted to have some degree of dosage variance -- and so do the brand-names. I would call the manufacturer of the generic quetiapine available in Spain to see what their quality assurance guidelines are. I believe the EU is somewhat more strict than the US.

If you feel confident in the response, you might try a switch by taking a partial dose of the brand-name with a partial dose of the generic for a while. Many of our members have moved to generics in this way. Otherwise, some people are sensitive to the differences between drug brands.

Moderated wiki: Great idea. Will need a whole other staff of trained people.

Tanha
On 2/13/2013 at 1:47 AM, primrose said:

I think I am going to start a daily taper with 0.5% cuts, but I am stuck in my valium taper at the moment.

I was cutting less than 5% off my benzo, and holding for enough time, but could no longer tolerate that due to the extreme psych symptoms, so, I started a daily taper. I have had to slow that right down due to not dealing with symptoms for a few weeks.

How did things go from there primrose?

how are you doing?

do I get it right that you say in this post that you continued tapering valium although you weren't stable?

papaloapan

Today I made a phone call to torrent pharma (a pharma that produces quetiapine) and they only produce in IR (immediate release) formulation. I asked them about the solubility of quetiapine, they transfered me with their physician who told me that quetiapine is not entirely soluble in water, that it is not recommended to dissolve in water because quetiapine does not dissolve completely which is a characteristic of quetiapine, not just from torrent pharma but from any pharmaceutical company that produces quetiapine. It is not known how much of the pill dissolves. 

Tanha

Papaloapan

thank you for this information. 

Tapering by the right Methode is vital.

how are you going to do the taper? Dry cutting isn’t safe either because the quetiapine is not evenly distribiuted in tablets. 

Eg diazepam isn‘t watersoluble, either, but my tablet is evenly distributed in the water yet liquid Diazepam of my brand wouldn’t be states the producer.

ChessieCat
Posted (edited)

From this post

• Tablets not soluble, may try to crush and dissolve in warm water.
  • For oral use mix crushed tablet with yoghurt as it has a bitter taste.

Edited by ChessieCat