SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Naserian: Coming off Amitriptyline with no success

Naserian

Hi

I'm new to the forum. I am having awful trouble coming off Amitriptyline. My doctor is absolutely useless and no help at all. 

I am currently on 25mg of Amitriptyline. I have been on it for 2.5 years. For irritable bowel syndrome. I have put on a stone in weight, I feel so fat and unhealthy. I have tried 4 times to slowly come off Amitriptyline. But I have really bad side effects when lowering the dosage, even when I go from 25mg down to 20mg I get side effects, I can't sleep and get really anxious that's from just a 5mg drop. 

I really need help coming off them, because I can't stand being on them any longer. I want to come off them really slowly this time, but I don't know how to start. Can anyone please help. Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Naserian, and welcome to SA.

I'm sorry you're having difficulties coming off Amitrytyline.  I too was on a tricyclic (Imipramine) for bowel issues. 

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
The 5mg drop you did from 25 to 20mg was a 20% drop and was too fast, so it's not surprising you had difficulties.  At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  These links should be helpful:   

Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  For example, you might need to taper at 5% per month or even less.  The following link contains information about cutting pills and using a scale to measure doses as well as other valuable tips.  I have been using the Gemini-20 scale mentioned in the link for my Lexapro taper.

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Or you could consider tapering even more slowly than 5% per month, as described in the following link.

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases - Surviving Antidepressants

Please read through these links and decide what rate of taper you feel comfortable with.  Then we can get you started on a safe, slow taper to get you off this drug.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for replying. I don't really know where to start with this tapering thing. I would really appreciate some help on where to start. Do I need scales to cut the tablets up 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Naserian: Coming off Amitriptyline. With no success ☹️
  • Moderator Emeritus

This topic discusses various ways:  Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you will need a scale to measure the doses.  The techniques are described in the link above. 

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks guys. I really wish I hadn't started them in the first place. They are awful. I feel more depressed being on them because I have put on so much weight. It's an awful drug to be on. Coming off them is even worse. I would like to start at 10% and slowly reduce the mgs

How do I weigh and cut the the tablets so I get the right dose. They are round pills and dont have a line in the middle to cut them in half easier. How do you get the right dosage

Hi

I am completely new to tapering. I looked at the details. But I don't know where to start to taper down. My doctor is absolutely useless and no help what so ever. I feel so alone with all this trying to cut down has been an absolute nightmare. I am currently on Amitriptyline 25mg. I want to get down to atleast 10mg, then maybe come off them altogether in the future.

I have tried slowly coming off Amitriptyline 4 times by going down to 20mg for 4 weeks then 15mg for 4 weeks. By the time I got down to 10mg I couldn't sleep, I was lucky if I got 2 or 3 hours sleep, it was awful. I felt really anxious and angry to.

I want to know, how do I cut the tablets up, do I crush them or cut them up into bits to get the exact dose on scales 

How long do you stay on 10% say 25mg to 24mg. Would I stay on 24mg for a week or 2 weeks or whatever 

I really need help, I can't stand being on these tablets anymore. I have put on a stone in weight they are making me even more depressed because I have put on so much weight. I feel so fat and unhealthy. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Naserian: Coming off Amitriptyline with no success
  • Moderator Emeritus

I have added drug tags (top left just under the topic title) which you can click on and find other members with the same tag.  The other option is to use the site search top right and type in the drug name.  You can visit other members and ask them in their topic what method they are using.  Just make sure that your ask questions about your own taper here in your own Intro topic, otherwise they may get missed if posted elsewhere.  It also keeps your history in one place.

SA's recommended taper protocol is to reduce by no more than 10% of the previous dose and then stay at that dose for about 4 weeks.

You don't have to decrease by exactly 10% you can always round the number but round up (not down) so that it makes it easier to get your dose.  See my calculation below the quote box.

From Post #1 of Tips for tapering off amitriptyline:

On 16/08/2011 at 12:20 PM, Altostrata said:

Dissolving amitriptyline in water to make a liquid

Theoretically, you should be able to make a solution of amitriptyline in water, and use an oral syringe for precise dosing. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

If you dissolve a 25mg tablet in 25mls of water each ml of water would contain 1mg dose of drug (a 1:1 ratio).  If you wanted to reduced by 10% (25mg x 0.90) the dose you would need to take is 22.5mg/22.5mls so you would extract 2.5mls (25 - 22.5) of liquid with a syringe (discard this) and drink the remainder.

For the next reduction you calculate 10% of 22.5mg (22.5mg x 0.90) so the dose you would need to take is 20.25mg/20.25mls so you would extract 4.75mls (25 - 20.25) of liquid and drink the remainder.

The next reduction would be (20.25mg x 0.90) 18.225mg which is a tricky amount to measure so you could round up to 18.25mg/18.25mls.

You need to make the calculation on the previous dose which you have been taking.  The next reduction would be 16.425mg (18.25mg x 0.90), another tricky amount so round up to 16.5mg/16.5mls.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hey,

I tapered off Amitriptyline 30mg for insomnia last year over 6 - 7 months. I ended up going back on, but that was due to unaddressed mental health challenges that really had to be cleared up before I could taper successfully. When I was off, things started to even out and I noticed that full recovery was and is possible.

It is possible to taper, but I'd recommend doing it REALLY slowly. You can get Amitriptyline in 10 and 25mg doses, and you can also buy a pill cutter for relatively accurate dose halving.

I had to play around with my doses and dose sizes to make sure that each month, I tapered by 2.5mg. I still probably did it too fast, so the slower, the better.

If you are patient and well resourced (good diet, social networks, psychologist if needed, good job etc), you will be able to taper off.

I also noticed that my weight stopped being an issue at around 15 - 10mg.

Some words of advice though, the side effects and weight suck, but it's important to approach the taper with compassion and be open to the idea that at one point, Amitriptyline may have been a really good solution. If you feel like you hate it and want to get rid of it as quickly as possible, you'll end up making things worse.

Patience and compassion for yourself and the situation :)

Taper commencing 14/06/18:

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

Medication / withdrawal history:

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

NatureCalm Magnesium, Glycine, Ashwagandha, Reishi, Schisandra, Melatonin.

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

• Moderator Emeritus

Naserian,

Are you okay with knowing how to make smaller doses and taper?  

Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Yes thanks Gridley it looks a very sensible way. To use liquid and slowly reduce the tablets by 1mg

Yes that's exactly what I'm going through NobodySpecial  I have tried cutting down to 10mg 4 times without any success. How did you taper did you do it in liquid or did you weigh the tablets to get the right dose.

I have a few question about tapering. I am on 25mg of Amitriptyline. When you say 10% does that mean 1mg a month or 1mg a week

Also do you get the correct dose if you dissolve the pill in water or will you loose some of the pill. Will the pill be stronger if it's in liquid aswell. Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know where you got 1mg. That is not the correct amount to reduce.  

10% of 25 mg is 2.5mg.  You subtract that from 25 and get 22.5mg.  That is your first taper and you hold for a month.  After a month you decrease by 10% of your 22.5 dose, which is 2.25mg.  Subtract that from 22.5 and you get 20.25.  That is your next dose.  

Look at ChessieCat's earlier post for instruction on how to use the syringe.  She also has instructions on how to calculate 10% of your current dose (multiply by .90).

You will get virtually all of your dose and lose very little by dissolving in water.

The liquid will not be stronger than the pill but many members have a different reaction to taking their drug in liquid form as opposed to tablet.  That's why we recommend making the switch gradually.  The following is from MammaP, one of our moderators, describing how to do a gradual switch from tablet to liquid:

"There can be problems switching from tablets to liquid, even with the same maufacturer.  We suggest taking part tablet and part liquid and increasing the liquid over time while decreasing the tablet. You could cut a tablet in half then cut one half in half so you have one 1/2 and 2 x 1/4 . Take 3/4 of the tablet and the rest in liquid. After a few days ( I make it a week if I change brands ) take half tablet and half liquid, then 1/4 tablet and the rest liquid, then all liquid."

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

When you need help with calculating the math, write in.  You are set for the first, second and third tapers.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

On 17/02/2018 at 6:56 PM, Naserian said:

Yes thanks Gridley it looks a very sensible way. To use liquid and slowly reduce the tablets by 1mg

Yes that's exactly what I'm going through NobodySpecial  I have tried cutting down to 10mg 4 times without any success. How did you taper did you do it in liquid or did you weigh the tablets to get the right dose.

Hey @Naserian, I just kept cutting pills. I think it'll work well but I just wasn't prepared for a longer haul when I actually came off - I used all my resources getting to zero and had no further plan.

I think that Gridley has the best information on this and I'd follow that - I'm wary of the water solution and how I'd react, but when I get to that point, I'll try it and write about it.

Send me a message and we can support each other @Naserian!

Taper commencing 14/06/18:

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

Medication / withdrawal history:

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

NatureCalm Magnesium, Glycine, Ashwagandha, Reishi, Schisandra, Melatonin.

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

• 2 months later...

I have just reduced my Amitriptyline from 25mg to 20mg. It's only been 5 days. I'm feeling a bit anxious and nervous.

I'm determined to keep it up and stay on 20mg for now.

How long will I feel anxious for. Will it balance itself out over the weeks. Or will I always feel anxious.

4 hours ago, Naserian said:

I have just reduced my Amitriptyline from 25mg to 20mg. It's only been 5 days. I'm feeling a bit anxious and nervous.

I'm determined to keep it up and stay on 20mg for now.

How long will I feel anxious for. Will it balance itself out over the weeks. Or will I always feel anxious.

That's a 20% drop.  Generally no more than 10% is recommended.  It can take several weeks to stabilize after a drop.

Lexapro 1/17 - 3/17 10 mg.  Switched to Elavil 3/27/17 10 mg

Upped to 20 mg June 5, 2017 3 days, back down to 10mg June 8

Up again to 20 mg June 12, 2017 4 days, back down to 10 June 16

9/17 dropped to 9.5 mg

11/17 dropped to 9.3mg

2/18/17 dropped to 8.8 mg

February 14/2018 Adverse reaction to zofran pill at clinic

10/7/19 8.48 mg

12/22/19 7.3 mg, 2/7/20 6.5 mg, 5/23/20 5.84 mg,  5/7/23 .70 mg

• Administrator

Nasarian, please put updates and questions about your tapering in this topic. Please read the discussion about tapering above.

Meeto is correct, you're taking chances by decreasing by 20%. As you've had problems going off in the past, you may wish to go much slower so you can go off successfully this time.

If you get withdrawal symptoms that last more than a day or two, if I were you, I'd go up to 22.5mg amitriptyline. It's better not to get the withdrawal symptom cycle going. Don't taper when you have withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It's only been 5 day since I have been taking 20mg. But last night I couldn't sleep properly. I kept waking up and not able to get back to sleep

So I'm going back on 25mg tonight. Is this best.

I have only dropped down 5mg. I can't believe I would get withdrawal symptoms from just 5mg drop. I didn't think it would have such a big effect. Why is this. 

• Moderator Emeritus

In the 5 days since you've been at 20mg, your brain has already made some adjustments to the lower dose.  I would do as Alto suggests and updose to 22.5 mg, not 25.  

If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Naserian, please create a "signature" using this link  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This will help people see at a glance where you're at with your dosages. Thanks!

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, Naserian said:

A signature. What do you mean???

Underneath my post and Gridley's, there are some lines of text that talk about our experiences, dates, dosages of drugs, etc. 

It's a convenient way for people to see where you're at currently. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

Nasserian, a signature is your psychiatric drug history, name of drug, date started and stopped, dosage, tapers and rate at which you tapered, cold-turkeys.  Please keep it simple and do it as a list.  You can look at my signature below this post for an example.  Here is an explanation.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.