SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

angie007: Severe fatigue / tiredness / lethargy / lethargic

angie007

Anyone else here suffered with fatigue in wd??

Is it just common in early wd? or anytime in wd?

Does it last long?

Someone, please tell me we do get our energy levels back at some point please??

Dont have to do very much at all, then just feel really bone tired and weary,

odd thing is - i dont feel the need to sleep, just rest up, anyone else the same?

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

hi Angie,

fatigue comes, and goes away, and comes back, less intense with time;

less intense is more energy

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Thankyou Stan for reassuring me,

ive had to spend far too much time in bed with either

flu symptoms/nausea, now fatigue, was really hoping it

would get better and soon, need to start going out a little lol.

Thanku my friend.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• Administrator

Do what you can, angie. It's good for your body and good for your nervous system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I went through a period of pretty severe fatigue much of the time when I started tapering down my antidepressant, Cymbalta. It lasted more than 2 months. Then I learned (through this website) that my psychiatrist gave me bad advice-- he had me taking 60 mg one day and 30 mg the next, alternating days like this for 2 months. This apparently presents 2 problems-- it's too large a reduction at once; and the alternating days confuses the nervous system as it tries to adjust to the changes. I'm happy to say the fatigue has declined the past few days-- I've been on 30 mg Cymbalta about a month now. From here I'll taper down slowly.

When the wave worsens, the fatigue is unbelievable in my case. It's one of the most common WD-symptoms. Again, if you feel up to doing the tinniest of tasks then, by all means do it. If not, do not push yourself. Very often what our body needs at such moments is taking rest. You need to learn to know what is best on a given day. If a short walk helps, go for it. If just lying, half-sleeping, half-awake, is the only way to go through the day, that's fine, too.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

When the wave worsens, the fatigue is unbelievable in my case. It's one of the most common WD-symptoms. Again, if you feel up to doing the tinniest of tasks then, by all means do it. If not, do not push yourself. Very often what our body needs at such moments is taking rest. You need to learn to know what is best on a given day. If a short walk helps, go for it. If just lying, half-sleeping, half-awake, is the only way to go through the day, that's fine, too.

Fatigue/low motivation has been a big thing for me also, especially the last few years. In my case, how in the world do you know if it's me getting older... or w/d? I believe I've said here before, that if left to my own devices, I could stay in bed most of the day... on the computer or watching something dumb on TV. Many days I feel so fatigued that brushing my teeth and showering is a huge deal. I do feel better once I'm dressed and push myself out... but it's so difficult most of the time.

I have to talk to myself a lot -- like get the h**l up already, you know you'll feel some better once you do. It's 12:52 in the afternoon here. I've had coffee, but then got back into bed. This just isn't right.

Charter Member 2011

Summer -- I really believe this is mostly due to the meds. A portion of it may be due to being older. Also, it might not even be about w/d so much as having been on the meds for a long time. What I mean is, the longer I was on the meds, the more tired I became -- in my 30s -- until I was flat out exhausted all the time by the age of 40. This is before I even started my final, long taper.

I think these meds "mine" the adrenals (in addition to doing 5 trillion other things to us). They are stimulants. They force the body to be activated, and eventually the body gets depleted.

Being too tired to brush your teeth is not normal for old age. No way! :)

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• Administrator

For quite a while, I always had to coach myself through things: "You can do this." "One foot in front of the other." "Now pick up the toothbrush." "Put your jacket on and go out the door."

We do need to keep active, for mind and body's sake.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Healing and Sur... thanks for replying. I think it may be 50-50... age/WD, and as you said Healing, being on ADs so many years. At any rate, I'm trying to be active, I know that's very important. Our house has two floors and I'm constantly running up and down the steps - well, not running - but, I hope that's some exercise.

Going for a general check up tomorrow - haven't been in awhile. I plan on telling her I'm WDing from Celexa - we'll see what she has to say.

Charter Member 2011

For quite a while, I always had to coach myself through things: "You can do this." "One foot in front of the other." "Now pick up the toothbrush." "Put your jacket on and go out the door."

Gawd, what we've been through....I so remember years of this grinding self-talk. Unbelievable.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

I'm putting this here because it relates to fatigue. Feel free to move it.

I had a doctor's appointment today which I found rather interesting. Without making this into a novel, I'm going to have blood work done early next week, but even before seeing the results she said some really interesting things. She asked me lots of questions... and suggested that I'm always so fatigued because I have sleep apnea! She thinks I wake up, then decide I have to pee, not the other way around. She also suggested that my waking with headaches so often also suggests sleep apnea. I'm floored! Never even thought about that.

Anyway, she gave me the name of a sleep study clinic near me. My daughter is a teacher and her job ends in two weeks. After that, I'll schedule a sleep study. It's amazing the things you don't think about or have a clue about.

She also suggested that I walk for 15 minutes every morning, which of course is good for whatever ails you, and that we would discuss exercise more once the test results were back.

On withdrawing... she said I was on a placebo dose and suggested rebound more than anything else. She seemed okay with me wanting to get off Celexa, but not super enthused or anything. Not real surprised.

Once the test results come back, I'll know more, and I'm looking forward to that.

Charter Member 2011

Almost forgot... she did say that antidepressants are waaaaaaaay over prescribed! Apparently, it's getting thru to some physicians.

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

....On withdrawing... she said I was on a placebo dose and suggested rebound more than anything else....

summer, how did you interpret this?

....On withdrawing... she said I was on a placebo dose and suggested rebound more than anything else....

My guess is she was suggesting the original symptoms were coming back, altho I didn't question her further. It really doesn't matter what she thinks about ADs or WD, I'm going to do what I want anyway. If I indeed have sleep apnea, it will account for my fatigue and low energy. I can't wait to have the test done... it will tell me so much.

Charter Member 2011

Fatigue again, oh my word, i am getting so fed up.

What is it that causes this fatigue, its awful.

Does anyone know how after paxil use, what it does in the body that creates this, as while i was

taking it, i was never short of energy, so can this be normal after ditching it????

i went out today after i did my housework, had a shower, then drove about 30mile shopping with a friend,

walked round the shops and tried about 15 different outfits on, then drove back.

Had a cuppa and it just came over me, this intense wearyness, if i didnt lie down i would fall down.

i do wish this would go away, ive always run round and had bags of energy, i just cant get used to being

this way, feeling drained and dont feel like ive done that much either, well maybe i have lol, but i want

to do more as well.

My guess is she was suggesting the original symptoms were coming back, altho I didn't question her further. It really doesn't matter what she thinks about ADs or WD, I'm going to do what I want anyway. If I indeed have sleep apnea, it will account for my fatigue and low energy. I can't wait to have the test done... it will tell me so much.

Rebound isn't the original symptoms coming back... but is from withdrawing from the drug. Is this correct?

Charter Member 2011

Fatigue again, oh my word, i am getting so fed up.

What is it that causes this fatigue, its awful.

Does anyone know how after paxil use, what it does in the body that creates this, as while i was

taking it, i was never short of energy, so can this be normal after ditching it????

i went out today after i did my housework, had a shower, then drove about 30mile shopping with a friend,

walked round the shops and tried about 15 different outfits on, then drove back.

Had a cuppa and it just came over me, this intense wearyness, if i didnt lie down i would fall down.

i do wish this would go away, ive always run round and had bags of energy, i just cant get used to being

this way, feeling drained and dont feel like ive done that much either, well maybe i have lol, but i want

to do more as well.

I doubt that anyone has a clue exactly what causes the fatigue. You did A LOT today... being tired doesn't surprise me at all. As I've mentioned I'm going to have a sleep study done. My doctor seems to think that at least part of the reason I'm so tired all the time is that my body doesn't have a chance to rest properly. Are you getting enough sleep?

Charter Member 2011

Ha ha, Angie! On my best day, in my 20s, your day would have exhausted me! :D

But, I get it that you're not at *your* usual energy level. Two things -- these drugs are stimulants so they drive your body faster than it would normally go, and, over the years, you get more and more depleted. You're recovering from this now. Second thing -- your brain and, indeed, whole body, are healing back to their normal, healthy condition. That healing takes energy -- just like it takes energy to heal from a head cold.

Hey Angie, what you describe sounds normal to me - sometimes all I need to do is go out shopping with my friend and then when I come home I'm totally exhausted.

I have to zone out in front of the computer and just do very little, and then after a bit my energy comes back.

It's one of those things that will improve with time like everything else.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Awwww thanxs you guys, it means a lot that im not alone,

but sorry others have to go through this too.

Thanxs phil, you know when i get like that, there are times i cant even zone out on the computer,

its a case of lie down before i fall down, really horrible, to feel ok one minute and just feel the

energy and life sucked out of ya the next yuck!!!!!!

But !!!! i lived to fight another day.

suggested that I'm always so fatigued because I have sleep apnea! She thinks I wake up, then decide I have to pee, not the other way around. She also suggested that my waking with headaches so often also suggests sleep apnea. I'm floored! Never even thought about that.

I have sleep apnea after taking lexapro, and I have sent you a PM about this.

• Administrator

Very interesting, Georgia. Thank you for joining us.

I wonder if this is common?

• 3 weeks later...

Omg angie! I have the same problem as u and i have been on prozac for 10 years since i was 16! U know i feel so warm here by everyone! Why dont we all get together meeet up? An live together? And talk about healing each other?

I am starting to think the fatigue that we suffer during withdrawal is related to sleep.

For example after stoppin prozac it was reported to me by my teeth doctor that i am suffering from teeth grinding. Which is caused by major anxiety, And now i have to wear a tooth guard.

For two month i suffered from extreme fatigue and my sleep was ok during the first 1 and half month but i would get extreme fatigue, whih got worse. And then for the last two weeks my sleep went completely south and the fayigue is so unbearable i literally could not even get out of the bed to eat!

However, knowing i was on prozac and knowing it increase seretonin and knowing that overtime my brain will creat less seretonin because my brain is hijacked i decided to try higher doses of 5htp.

Like magic the intense dreams are gone! For the first time! And i only woke up once! And it was literally a good sleep! Much better then the sleep i had for a while!

However, i do not know how safe long term use of 5htp is and i dont know if it will act like prozac and decrease my own producion of 5htp overtime. But i am planning to stay on it until i get 8hrs of sleep, and when my fatigue is gone, for at least a month, i will slowly taper off of it just like prozac.

Please inform me on what u think, thank u :)

I want to share this information because i know so many people on here suffer from fatigue and bad sleep and i think the fatigue is related to sleep, and even if u are getting 8 hrs ur body could be experiencing extreme anxiety that causes u to not sleep well!

How

Do you get 8 hours sleep while on 5htp?

At the moment I'm lucky to get about 4 hours, it's horrible.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Many people report that taking 5htp with an SSRI or in withdrawal makes them feel even more anxious and depressed. I've never heard anyone report that it helps. I'm wondering if the intense dreams you are having, in part, are caused by the 5htp. There is a thread here about 5htp... check it out.

I just saw that you did read the thread. I think it could be very dangerous to play around with. There are many other things you could try for sleep, which won't make you more anxious and cause other interactions.

Charter Member 2011

This is from Robert Whitaker's Anatomy of an Epidemic, pages 79-80:

"...once a presynaptic neuron has released serotonin into the synaptic gap, it must be quickly removed so that the signal can be crisply terminated. An enzyme metabolizes a small amount; the rest is pumped back into the presynaptic neuron...Fluoxetine blocks this reuptake channel.... However...a feedback mechanism then kicks in. The presynaptic neuron has 'autoreceptors' on its terminal membrane that monitor the level of serotonin in the synapse. If serotonin levels are too low...these autoreceptors scream 'turn on the serotonin machine.' If serotonin levels are too high, they scream 'turn it off.' This is a feedback loop designed by evolution to keep the serotonergic system in balance and fluoxetine triggers the latter message. With serotonin no longer being whisked away from the synapse, the autoreceptors tell the presynaptic neurons to fire at a dramatically lower rate. They begin to release lower-than-normal amounts of serotonin into the synapse."

The presence of Prozac also causes the brain to make changes in the density of the serotonin receptors. So as you can see, the brain adjusts itself to the presence of the drug. When we are no longer taking the drug, the brain must adjust itself back to the normal state is was in before we take these drugs.

The idea in withdrawal is to give your brain a break so it can heal. Tapering slowly gives your brain time to adjust back to normal. That's why cold-turkey is a bad idea. Our brains can't adjust back to normal that quickly. I believe that when we take other things that mess with the serotonin system in the brain (like 5HTP or St. Johns Wort), we are confusing the brain further and delaying opportunities for healing.

It is scary when you are tired yet can't sleep. Alto know a lot about sleep problems and what helps.

1989 to 2008: Prozac then Paxil then Celexa.

Numerous attempts to quit.

Then I got off the SSRI poop-out merry-go-round.

11-12 week taper.

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear

If you're going through hell, keep walking

The only way out is through

I think u guys have a good point but it is really helping me? Maybe once saint john wort and 5 htp fix my problem i typer off of them slowly? Cause i feel less fatigued now and my sleep is getting better after usibg 5 htp.

Also there have been lots of clinical study that says 5 htp helps with anxiety, and not for all but for some sleep! It is recommended to take 5 htp at night!

And i would really like to know how many hours of sleep u guys are gettig because i know both of u have been off the horrible anti depressent for a long time!

I'm not off the AD yet, but hope to be one day.

Sleep varies - I think it does for most people, whether they have ever taken an AD or not. What is normal for one isn't normal for another, anyway.

I haven't read all of your posts... but, its been proven that some amount of exercise every day helps with sleep issues, among other things.

Charter Member 2011

Yeh, excercise is so good for our buddy! Pleus it promote nurogenesis and our brain can heal faster and fight depression! I heard it is not a good idea to use 5 htpwhile u are on anti depressent, however 3 days ago i talked to my pschiatrist and he said it is fine if i wanted to use 5 htp with prozac!

• Administrator

....I heard it is not a good idea to use 5 htpwhile u are on anti depressent, however 3 days ago i talked to my pschiatrist and he said it is fine if i wanted to use 5 htp with prozac!

Sorry, ser, that's another mistake. Do not use 5-HTP with an SSRI. There's such a thing as having too much serotonin, it causes serotonin syndrome, a very dangerous condition. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/656-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan/page__view__findpost__p__6611

Why are you asking about using 5-HTP with Prozac? Are you taking Prozac again?

I believe you are right, much withdrawal fatigue can be traced to poor sleep.

No i am not taking prozac but i so want to get my sleep back to normal, and if i cant do it in a month or two i am seriously considering 5 or 10 mg of prozac and 5 htp together so i can sleep! I mean 5 or 10 mg shouldnt hurt my libido right? I was literally on 20 mg for like years and my libido was ok, and i only noticed decreased libido after i switched to 40mg

• Administrator

There is no telling what 5mg Prozac would do. It may help, it may not. It may affect your libido, it may not.

After your nervous system has been sensitized, all bets are off. I sure would not take 10mg Prozac and I would not take any amount with 5-HTP.