angie007: Severe fatigue / tiredness / lethargy / lethargic

angie007

• Administrator

When you have withdrawal syndrome, it is a sign that your nervous system is injured. It may not be as tough as it was before withdrawal.

Be careful of what you do to it. It may react in ways a normal nervous system would not. It has become sensitized to drugs, particularly those that are stimulating or increase serotonin.

For example, if you read about a supplement that everyone says is safe and helps mood, it may have the opposite effect for your sensitized nervous system, a paradoxical effect.

We have to be very, very careful about trying herbs, supplements, or drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

You are very right! To be honest during the three month i was off of prozac i just did the usual intense stuff i always do, and i took lots of maca. And didnt give a thought about my mind being overloaded. I think i put too muc stress on my mind!

And at that time i was mostly afraid of loosin my libido! But now i am actually afraid of loosing my brain! Haha! I am a young guy and a lot of times my impulsiveness hurts me!

• Administrator

Gotta watch out for that macho "more is better" -- take care of yourself instead of full steam ahead.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

When you have withdrawal syndrome, it is a sign that your nervous system is injured. It may not be as tough as it was before withdrawal.

Be careful of what you do to it. It may react in ways a normal nervous system would not. It has become sensitized to drugs, particularly those that are stimulating or increase serotonin.

For example, if you read about a supplement that everyone says is safe and helps mood, it may have the opposite effect for your sensitized nervous system, a paradoxical effect.

We have to be very, very careful about trying herbs, supplements, or drugs.

So true as I learned with Zenbev, a sleep supplement that has 40mg of Tryptophan. It was a disaster and getting off of it wasn't fun.

Unfortunately, doctors and alternative healthcare practitioners are clueless about withdrawal. But I am preaching to the choir on that.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I figured out that my fatigue during the day has to do with the quality of sleep. An i remeber 1 or 2 month ago when i was getting 8 hrs of sleep i would still feel fatigued, and now i only get 6 or 7 but less fatigue then then. So i think it is not just the number of hrs, but the quality.

So here are a few things i ask myself.

1) did i experience intense dreams?

2) how many times did i wake up?

3) when i woke up during the night did i have a racing heart? And not necessarily a hert that beats really fast, rather i want to see f i can feel my heart pounding.

4) i also check for tense muscles!

5) an in the morning i check how tired i am.

• 6 months later...

Ok so I could not find a spot that already talks about this (I didnt look through all threads, though). Anyways, this is what I have been experiencing lately: Some days out of the week, even if I get a great sleep, I will feel very very tired the entire day. Then, either that same day, the next day, or two days later after the fatigue hits me, I get extremely depressed. I can be tired for just one day, or up to like three days then the depression hits me hard! Any thoughts?

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

Fatigue has been a problem for me for a long time, on Drugs and in withdrawal. Sticking to a schedule helps, particularly exercise. I try to walk every day for 30 minutes in the sun. Lately I've been pretty good (going 6/7 each week and we've even had sun.)

Otherwise, the fatigue is just a killer and most cheap remedies have a price, then it comes down to the economics. Usually, I've been regretted taking short term offsets to symptoms because they almost always set me back, but they are are very tempting.

(Though I do eat sweets sporadically, serially even though these are very bad for me. Yet I can't help myself and I trytrytry to help myself. But I hope to just stay the path going forward.)

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

thanks for the post. I forgot to add that this is sort of the cycle I am seeing. First the fatigue hits me, then the depression...like I know when i am really tired that I will soon become very depressed. Nothing really helps in these moments. I can sometimes take a nap and this helps, but idk what else to do as I have to work and attend class. Ugghh this is so hard.

Hi, Zep, sorry these are yet more challenging days. I was reading back on your history and am really impressed with your ability to function while undergoing withdrawal. I don't know if you've had some pretty good days yet or not, since you and I are very new to withdrawal. I'm just reaching the five month mark and I think you are at the four month mark. I can honestly say improvements that I am making are very subtle and for the most part, the days are still very uncomfortable. I find that when I push myself to do more or put myself on stressful situations, my symptoms are definitely worse. I know you have a challenging schedule and most certainly must push yourself to get through your day. I'm wondering if maybe its just too much for your agitated nervous system. Also, how's your diet? Alto reinforced with me that regular meals of healthy foods, particularly proteins at each meal, no sugar, caffeine, alcohol, may help your fatigue too. Nadia went through a very positive time period where she tried resuming her regular working schedule because her symptoms had abated but found herself back with major symptoms,especially depression. You might send her a note to find out the specifics or read back on her history. Anyway, don't know if that helps much, but take care of your body and try to take it easy. Your brain is in a tough spot right now!

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Zep, sorry these are yet more challenging days. I was reading back on your history and am really impressed with your ability to function while undergoing withdrawal. I don't know if you've had some pretty good days yet or not, since you and I are very new to withdrawal. I'm just reaching the five month mark and I think you are at the four month mark. I can honestly say improvements that I am making are very subtle and for the most part, the days are still very uncomfortable. I find that when I push myself to do more or put myself on stressful situations, my symptoms are definitely worse. I know you have a challenging schedule and most certainly must push yourself to get through your day. I'm wondering if maybe its just too much for your agitated nervous system. Also, how's your diet? Alto reinforced with me that regular meals of healthy foods, particularly proteins at each meal, no sugar, caffeine, alcohol, may help your fatigue too. Nadia went through a very positive time period where she tried resuming her regular working schedule because her symptoms had abated but found herself back with major symptoms,especially depression. You might send her a note to find out the specifics or read back on her history. Anyway, don't know if that helps much, but take care of your body and try to take it easy. Your brain is in a tough spot right now!

hello,

how are things going on your end? I was in pretty bad shape and have almost hit the 5 month mark of being antidepressant free. I had always thought that the withdrawal symptoms would only be in the beginning but soon found out otherwise. I have found people like me who have been fairly stable the first few months or even the first 6 months and then crashed all of a sudden. I had pretty bad days the first few months but eventually leveled off. These past few weeks have been the worst and I hit bottom for sure. I almost left everything behind to go live as a backpacker. I know it sounds crazy, but I was desperate and never want to go back on these drugs again! Anyways, I believe the severe fatigue followed by depression is a withdrawal symptom. The past week I have seen a lot of improvement. I started oriental medicine which includes acupuncture and and herbal preparation which i boil and drink the tea. I am currently in good spirits and sleeping better because i am not waking up with the anxious feelings and I am also laughing a lot more. it feels so good to laugh...

Yes, I was amazed at how well I was doing after i stopped the drugs. I was working 50 hours a week and attending school. I had to drop school now because i hit the bottom, but I know its not the end of the world. Perhaps me stressing myself out was what contributed to me crashing. But I know i am a fighter and no matter what, I will never touch another psych drug.

Hey, zepp, So,so glad to hear you've gotten a "second wind" as far as no more drugs. I know exactly what you're saying! I'm sitting here on Friday morning not feeling very good, with this constant low level nervousness and a bit if depression but I realize I'm no longer nauseous, I'm sleeping pretty good, I'm exercising regularly, I seem to have a good appetite, I'm enjoying my husband, and for the most part I'm thinking better. That doesn't sound like major depression.

I'm grateful I have good support from my family and I'm bouyed by the persistent hatred of the corrupt medical system that put us in this predicament. I'm hoping that some day our success stories will help others cope with wd or even to provide evidence to stop this AD maddness.

Anyway, give ourself plenty of cudos for making it this far. You're stronger than these drugs! One day at a time! :)

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

I have the TIRED feeling a lot. I could sleep 12 hours straight & still have very little energy. Lately I've been taking naps 1x/day. In fact, it's almost like my body is trying to rejuvenate or heal itself from the withdrawal.

I've noticed that exercise gives me energy, but it's a catch 22: How are you supposed to exercise when you don't have enough energy/endurance to go for the full 15-20 minutes or feel motivated to do it in the first place? Not to mention I'm pretty salty over the fact that I can't lose the rest of this weight no matter HOW MUCH I exercise Lol.

Eh that's life I suppose :rolleyes:

Diagnosed With

Depression, Social Anxiety Disorder & Agoraphobia.

Also NLD (Non Verbal Learning Disorder)

Meds I've Taken Since The Age of 13:

Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Cymbalta, Vyvanse, Concerta, Intuniv, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, Abilify, Lithium. These meds were never consistent & I was constantly switching on & off due to psychiatrists treating what I now know were side effects.

Currently Taking:

Prozac 7.5 mg (Weaning off)

Valium 2 mg

Hey, zepp, So,so glad to hear you've gotten a "second wind" as far as no more drugs. I know exactly what you're saying! I'm sitting here on Friday morning not feeling very good, with this constant low level nervousness and a bit if depression but I realize I'm no longer nauseous, I'm sleeping pretty good, I'm exercising regularly, I seem to have a good appetite, I'm enjoying my husband, and for the most part I'm thinking better. That doesn't sound like major depression.

I'm grateful I have good support from my family and I'm bouyed by the persistent hatred of the corrupt medical system that put us in this predicament. I'm hoping that some day our success stories will help others cope with wd or even to provide evidence to stop this AD maddness.

Anyway, give ourself plenty of cudos for making it this far. You're stronger than these drugs! One day at a time! :)

hey spectio, I can totally relate to your symptoms. Some days are worse than others and I have found various things that have helped. I hate the low level nervousness, totally annoying and for me can sometimes get out of hand. Inositol was doing pretty good at keeping me calm, and in really anxious situations I would use gaba which helped a lot. The problem is I was always popping crap and it can be quit funny bc people are like "wtf, you look like an old man popping all those pills" hahah. So whatever, I know they can be helpful but no one likes popping things all day long. Currently, the TCM, exercise, good diet, and good sleep are getting me through the days. Also still taking some nutrients because I showed low levels of zinc and vit d.

For sure having good support from friends and family can do wonders on our recovery. Here provides good support too, but it not the fuzzy type of feeling one gets from a "real" person. Glad to hear you have that support. Keep up the good work.

Yea damned pharma companies. Guess these people failed their ethics course cause they have hurt a lot of people and it seems that that number is getting bigger and bigger.

• Moderator Emeritus

Many antidepressants reduce sodium levels in the body which can cause fatigue, nausea, et cetera. See:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/417785-signs-of-sodium-deficiency/

Lexapro dropped mine below desirable levels and two months later, off of Lexapro, my sodium level is still at the rock bottom number of the desirable range. It might be worth having sodium levels checked for those who are experiencing chronic fatigue.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 3 months later...

I am always tired. I try to figure it out every morning. I do not wake feeling refreshed.

Too much Celexa?

Stress

Physically demanding job which I like - not enough sleep

Not enough sleep

Sugar

Interrupted sleep (when my daughter comes home at night - dogs bark, etc.)Bathroom visits

Teeth Clenching

Eating while watching TV

Worry

AM anxiety caused tiredness (Adrenaline/Cortisol Dumps)

Thyroid?????

Going to a new Internist in August. The one I was seeing refused to do the deeper

Thyroid Testing. She was a Witch. Never, ever saw a MD who was that angry a person.

Miserable attitude.

HBP (lisinopril) Cholesterol (lovastatin) meds?

Lose Weight

Somehow I need to turn this around. I feel like a bag of old bones.

I know AD's can cause tiredness.

Possible Solutions: Read at night, go to bed at the same time each night, lower celexa, eliminate sugar, meditation/yoga, stop drinking liquids after dinner, Get thyroid tested.

What else can I do? What do you do?????

Sincerely,

Tired Woman in Jupiter FL

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Apparently, SSRI's suppress REM sleep, which is supposed to be the most refreshing sleep stage.

Have you tried using a dawn simulator? Or there's an iPhone app called "Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock", which wakes you up when you are in shallow sleep, so you feel more refreshed. You place it on our bed so it can detect your movement.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

JR I didn't know that about ssri's suppressing REM sleep.

I want to lower and/or get off this stuff, just too afraid of wd to risk it again.

I lose my mind when I taper in addition to insomnia.

If I take Celexa I feel like I am in a coma, so I take it at night to find out it suppresses the most important aspect of a good night's sleep :o

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Nikki,

I've been tired to my core for the last month or so. It reminds me of when I was a kid and spent a entire day at the community pool - nonstop swimming, diving, water gymnastics - and then being dead tired at night. It felt good then, not so good now. It takes every ounce of energy to go to backyard to see horses. I come back in and collapse. I feel like im sleeping ok. I dont know.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 1 year later...

I kind of feel like I post too many topics on this site. It's one of the only things I can do during withdrawal! If I'm posting too much, someone please stop me!

Anyway, does anyone else have or has anyone else had severe exhaustion in withdrawal?

I had chronic fatigue for years..the sort of tiredness where I'd feel wiped out many days and would often find it hard to stay awake. I'd have to fight or keep my eyes open many times but I was able to keep going and push through it. I was able to work full time and much more, despite it.

The withdrawal fatigue is unlike anything else I've ever experienced. It started as I began to titrate off my drugs. Now I'm off (apart from being on 1mg as I am at present)..oh boy! I'm powerless against it. It's all consuming. I get the odd day when it's not as bad..these are possibly windows (in the sense that I get them..my windows are pretty pants but not as bad as the other days!!) Most days, I feel like I'm practically in a coma, yet still intensely agitated. It's insane! Sometimes I actually wish I could go into a coma and wake up when the worst of the withdrawal is over!!

I'd be interested to hear about anyone else's exhaustion (not that I want anyone to have it) because I kind of feel like I'm the only one, which I'm sure I'm not.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Hi Winning,

Sorry to hear you are suffering with this but you are definitely not the only one.  I have exhaustion now, after having resolved akathisia.  And others have it too.

I was fine regarding fatigue before I reacted to Celexa so I am putting this down to the drugs I took and had issues with.  My guess as to what happened is my body was so revved up for so long that it was inevitable it would crash.

Don't ask me how that works out physiologically, this is just my uninformed guess.

However, I did have mild hyperthyroidism early on, caused by the drugs, which did correct over time.  I have been told that if you have sustained hyperthyroidism for a while you can get into a hypothyroid state.  Trouble is my thyroid is apparently okay.

So I don't know what is going on.  There is a herb I am debating about trying that treats regular chronic fatigue but in the absence of a lot of info about what it might do to people with drug issues I am left going by gut feelings and at the moment that isn't getting me anywhere. 

I should mention too though that I have a mild iron deficiency which I treated.  I find taking the iron does help a bit but it also causes some issues so I don't take it all the time.  Last time I had my iron checked though it was okay though so this can't be completely due to low iron. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I currently am experiencing this - I'm so tired all the time. I think it's because I spent the first part of withdrawal with everything overloaded - adrenaline and cortisol very high and daily huge panic attacks for months. My body reacts to many foods which is also a problem because I can't eat carbs or anything that would give me energy. It's a viscous cycle as now my immune system still on high and so I react to the foods that would help me get the energy to heal. My naturopathic doctor says to eat lots of proteins and good fats - like linseed and pumpkin seed oils as they reduce inflammation in the body and decrease the immune system, so I'm doing that. She also suggested a supplement called NT factor, which is supposed to heal mitochondria and rebalance the system, so that I can eat normally again.

The oils are definetly helping. I'm taking linseed oil supplements and eating lots of protein and I seem to have more energy.

01/2006 Put on Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks 08/2008 Came off Zoloft after tapering don't remember taper, lost weight, felt like had cold constantly, very panicky, pain everywhere (misdiagnosed fibromyalgia), head funny.05/2010 put back on Zoloft03/2012 came completely off Zoloft followed Dr standard taper- no appetite, lost weight (0.5 stone), flu-like feelings constantly, pain everywhere, head funny, nausea, very panicky, very strong emotions etc Lost 1 stone.04/2013 improving. actually put on some weight and hungry most of the time. Still burning pain joints, stomach upset, headache/feel faint and emotions very strong. Chest very painful too.01/2014 improving still. Gained weight!! Still hungry. Still headache/feel faint and strong emotions and chest/shoulder muscles painful. Periods irregular and very painful. Very tired. Joints burn only if eat refined sugars. Started eating fruits again.03/2014 2 years off. Now intolerances developed to nuts and soya. Permanently hungry, Emotions strong but started healing psychological reasons I was put on antidepressants with therapist. Shoulder pain bad, heady often, very tired.06/2014 flu-like symptoms returned, many intolerances, stomach painful, skin crawling feeling, muscles painful, very emotional. :-((

09/2016 over 4.5 years off, no real changes in symptoms, still much pain, headiness, heart weird, digestion bad, hormones unbalanced, nausea yet very hungry, tired, flu like symptoms etc etc.

<p>taking - vit C, probiotics and digestive enzymesI have Aspergers Syndrome.

• Moderator Emeritus

Fatigue is huge for me too but I find it hard to describe.  It can be so debilitating that even

getting up to go to the loo is a huge effort that drains every ounce of energy and leaves me

struggling to breathe, my heart feels like it just can't give another beat and my muscles feel on fire.

On days when I have more energy and do something it usually means that I will be out of action for a few days

after.  It is getting better though, I am getting more days when I can do something and enjoy it,

instead of being completely out of action.  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Well, I treated mine in a very effective and stupid way today. I had, had, had to do paperwork for work. Completely unable. Haven't taken any Nuvigil in a year...it always works without any side effect. Today...pulse to 120, BP up. Had to take a whole atenolol that I had tapered off of it. But what to do? One can push through pain, but the fatigue is something else.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

All consuming exhaustion is familiar to me as well. Even during a 4 month hold I could count on a down day per week on average but that is an average. 

Like MammaP said, if I am feeling good and get tempted to over due it I will usually pay for it the next day. Sometimes I choose to go that far and sometimes it's not worth it and I don't.

Being tired, or having little stamina is a constant companion. I am taking xanax though, so that may be a contributing factor for me but I can say that without a doubt, while tapering being worn out happens. 

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

I felt the same way! If I had to walk to the bathroom i felt like I needed a 3 hour nap! It was extremely hard to get anything done. It did eventually get better but still not 100%. It does get better though.

10 mg lexapro. .25mg xanax. Only took xanax for a couple months. Took lexapro for 8 months. Went off lexapro in 1 week and currently not on anything. Ouch!!!! Last dose of lexapro was around March 1st.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to get so much energy or at least be more awake from nuvigil. In fact, I'd have trouble sleeping for almost 48 hours taking it. It doesn't work the same while in withdrawal. I could lay down all day while on it.

Sugar, caffeine and diet coke used to help me before, but have no effect on me now. Nothing does.

I work in academia so my work is mostly cognitive: reading a writing complex material. It is very hard to do when you're drowsy.

I don't know what to do.

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

• 9 months later...

I recently updosed to 25mg Zoloft and am finding the constant lethargy and fatigue just awful. I'm also craving carbs. What self-care techniques are best to fight this? I am so tempted to go back on coffee but I know that's not a good idea...or would 1 cup in the morning to get me going be okay? I don't know why I always find lethargy and fatigue to be my worst symptom on ADs.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Found SA. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Given 25mg.

2017: Started taper, got fearful of possible withdrawal effects, stopped.
May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

No other meds. Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish oil.

• Moderator Emeritus

i can't stand the fatigue either. When I reinstated it I felt that underlying fatigue, but it seems to have passed. I've heard people say cold water with lemon can perk a person up. Ginger and spicy foods are also things I've "heard" can be helpful. Whether those things would stand up to scientific scrutiny, I doubt, but they might be worth a try.

Coffee can be very stimulating, especially if you've not had it for awhile. Plus it could have you feeling even more fatigued after the initial stimulating effect.

carb cravings seem to be common with ADs. Keep fruit around and make sure you have carbs at every meal.

Wish I had more helpful suggestions.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

i can't stand the fatigue either. When I reinstated it I felt that underlying fatigue, but it seems to have passed. I've heard people say cold water with lemon can perk a person up. Ginger and spicy foods are also things I've "heard" can be helpful. Whether those things would stand up to scientific scrutiny, I doubt, but they might be worth a try.

Coffee can be very stimulating, especially if you've not had it for awhile. Plus it could have you feeling even more fatigued after the initial stimulating effect.

carb cravings seem to be common with ADs. Keep fruit around and make sure you have carbs at every meal.

Wish I had more helpful suggestions.

Oh yeah! Thanks for sparking that memory. Last summer, I used to start my day with cold water infused with lemon, cucumber and mint, and it definitely gave me good energy. I also have ginger tea, I could try that.

I am very caffeine sensitive, but over the past couple of years while on a very low dose of Zoloft, I actually did ok (I think....) on 1 small cup 1/2 decaf, 1/2 regular first thing in the morning. Then again, maybe I was in denial about its negative effects.

Did you mean to write "make sure you have protein at every meal"? The carb cravings are just the worst. I didn't have them on 12mg, but now on 25mg it's like being on 50 or 100mg all over again.

The fatigue and lethargy is just absolutely unbearable. And of course if I tell my doctor about it, he'll say it's not a side effect of the meds, it's "anxiety and depression". I say: No it's not! I can tell it's neurological but of course he'll think I'm nuts if I say that. Ugh.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

I recently updosed by about 5 mg on my Lamictal after my reduction of  10 mg proved to be too stressful, and once again I am charmed by attacks of narcolepsy while driving in the middle of the day, (which as I recall was why I decided to reduce the Lamictal in the first place)  but I am a confirmed caffeine/nicotine addict and I have no pretensions otherwise until I am off all the meds, which could be years. best of luck to you

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

I recently updosed by about 5 mg on my Lamictal after my reduction of  10 mg proved to be too stressful, and once again I am charmed by attacks of narcolepsy while driving in the middle of the day, (which as I recall was why I decided to reduce the Lamictal in the first place)  but I am a confirmed caffeine/nicotine addict and I have no pretensions otherwise until I am off all the meds, which could be years. best of luck to you

Thanks Ruby Tuesday. I am sorry your reduction was too stressful. Yikes, narcolepsy sounds like a scary side effect. Thanks for your sharing your experience with caffeine and nicotine.

I love the youtube video you posted and really appreciate that! I need to spend less time reading and researching on the computer and more time listening to relaxing waves. Thank you. :-)

I have been going through the slow process of weaning off Paxil, and so far, so good. Been tapering it off by 1 mg every 3 days, starting all the way from 30 mgs till reaching, finally, 1 mg as of today. I haven't really experienced any particular side effect so far, and I hope I won't given how calmly and slowly I've been doing it. However, I have noticed that the tiredness that I used to feel when taking 30mgs has not yet gone away and I haven't seen any difference so far, which is ridiculous since I am taking a low dose that should theoretically not affect me that much (have noticed a comeback in my sex drive though). Will this tiredness go away once I'm off it for good? Why am I still feeling tired in spite of having been on 2 mgs of Paxil for the last 3 days? Needless to say I've already had my blood checked and it's all in the norm, which seems weird. Anybody who might have gone through a similar experience concerning SSRI and tiredness got anything that might cast light on this doubt of mine? Is it still too early to get to feel any less exhausted, am I to wait until I've been completely off it for some weeks before seeing any change? Thanks in advance.