SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

angie007: Severe fatigue / tiredness / lethargy / lethargic

angie007

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pressure , welcome to the site.      Your post will probably be moved to the Introductions section , where it will be your record (thread) and easier

for people to follow.

The taper you've done is a lot faster than that recommended by Survivingantidepressants.       I know it seems like you've gone very slowly , but it equals

a total of 30mg in 12 weeks.   This site suggests decreases of 5-10% every 4-6 weeks.  Small cuts with long holds. 

The tiredness you feel should eventually go away , but you might get hit with more withdrawal symptoms over the next weeks or even months.   Unlike

stopping alcohol , where the w/d starts immediately ,  stopping ssri's can lead to "protracted withdrawal syndrome".

It would be really helpful if you could provide more information regarding previous ad use.   Just as much as you can remember , to give a general picture.

Try reading the Tapering section , "Why Taper By 10%" , and "About Reinstating to Stop Withdrawal Symptoms" in Symptoms and Self Care.

You have a window of opportunity where you can increase the paxil by a small amount and avoid a potentially devastating withdrawal.

Please consider.

Best wishes Fresh

p.s. if you click FOLLOW THIS TOPIC at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you for the nice welcome Fresh,

I appreciate your advice, still I will keep going with my original plan. My history with medications is rather recent I think. I first started taking them 2 years ago when, undergoing depression, the psychiatrist I went to recommended I'd take Zyprexa (tried Abilify but got side effects from it and then he switched me to Zyprexa) ( "it can work well in depressed patients in lower doses", so he said, which sounds ridiculous to me right now given how hellish it was) along with 10 mg of Paxil. Zyprexa made me zombie like, keeping me in a state that was much worse the one I am in right now where I can at least somewhat function. I stopped seeing that psychiatrist and successfully tapered off Zyprexa. However I was still feeling depressed with was my original problem, which made my GP suggest I'd increase the Paxil dose up to 20 mg first, and to 30 mg afterwards when it became clear 20 mg wasn't working enough.

Paxil might not be as devastating as Zyprexa as far as making me feel like a zombie, but the tiredness and exhaustion it keeps me in is still quite ridiculous, and had it not been for this side effect I'd have been able to grasp some opportunities life gave me, that I could not take due to the extreme exhaustion, that's making me feel as if I was stuck in a deep muddy puddle. This is the reason why I am not gonna take any step back and will stick to my original plan. I have also been regularly attending counselling during these 2 years (to work with the depression I had before starting up with meds) and I feel more ready than ever to stop.

As for counselling .... had I gone to a counsellor to begin with, I'm pretty sure I'd have been done with my problem fairly quickly, since all meds did, in my case, was creating more problems than they were solving.

I am now left with 2 more days at 1 mg before going off it completely, and whilst I don't know what it'll be like, I can't wait!

• 3 months later...

This seems to be an old thread but I want to comment.....

I have had some pretty bad fatigue (and possibly mania) with my wd. Most of it comes after a really big burst of energy and inability to stop doing things. Then I crash and can't function. Example work 8hrs (which requires mostly running around with a bit of paper work), do all the house chores, run errands, etc and I just can't stop myself until my roommate tells me I need to chill out and I force myself to go to bed. I fall asleep immediately, then the next day I am completely wiped out and can't get myself to do anything, even if I did sleep 10 hrs or so. Rinse and repeat cycle a couple times over the week. Or there are times where I am not so active/manic before but end up falling asleep almost as soon as I get home from work. I'm all over the place....

2001: Started Antidepressants at age 15.

2001-2010: Put on and taken off numerous Antidepressants when they stopped working.

2010: Sertraline 100mg

2012: Sertraline 150mg

2014: Sertraline 200mg

May 2015: Started Tapering off Sertraline, 25% Reduction to 150mg.

June 2015: Continue at 150mg due to withdrawal, no reduction this month.

July 2015: Psychiatrist told me to do alternating day doses of 150mg and 200mg.

Tried one week with horrible results and went back to 150mg.

Mid-July 2015: I decided the alternate doses and 150mg were not working so I used a pill cutter for an even 175mg

August 2015: Psychiatrist told me to stay on 175mg for another month.

September 2015: Back to 150mg and tried new doctor. She told me to try Sam-e, taking 200mg daily. 

I can relate. Ive seen improvements in this area but the fatigue can be unbelievable at times. I can put it on par with mono which i had as a teenager

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 1 month later...

Hey, does anyone else get really bad fatigue? I've had it for the past couple of weeks and it's brutal. A lot of the time I struggle just to do normal things like making food or showering. I've had it on and off throughout withdrawal but it seems to be worse lately. I might try excluding things from my diet to see if it's triggered by anything I'm eating. I'm interested to hear about other peoples experiences.

December 2010: 10mg Citalopram

April 2011: 5mg for 2 weeks then cold turkey withdrawal - Extremely bad depression / no emotions

June 2011: Reinstated 10mg - After 3 weeks started getting impulsive suicidal thoughts

July 2011: Cold turkey - Withdrawal hell begins...

January 2021: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram as last resort

February 2021: 0.2mg Citalopram for 2 days had bad foggy head so went back down to 0.1mg

Upon reducing I experienced low mood, suicidal thoughts, burning up, low appetite, very bad insomnia, mild diarrhoea

22 Feb 2021: Stopped all Citalopram after panic / depression attack and crying similar to when I reinstated back in June 2011.

4 April 2022: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram - Anxiety + foggy head

5 April 2022: Stopped Citalopram - More lasting damage...

I suffered from fatigue while on paroxetine; the larger the dose, the greater the fatigue. On 20mg/day, I could spend most of the weekend in bed. I couldn't read a book unless downing coffee at the same time. My grades suffered. At 10mg/day, I needed frequent naps. On 5mg/day, I didn't need the naps but rarely. On any dose, I could be sluggish, and have trouble thinking clearly or quickly. I tell normal people to think of how they felt after staying up all night studying or working on a school assignment: I felt like that ALL the time. It's one of the many side effects of paroxetine.

Reducing carbs and increasing protein can really boost your energy levels, if a dietary solution is what you're after. But it's hard giving up those carbs!

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

I suffer horribly with fatigue;it actually feels like it's getting worse at almost 16 mos. off...I think it's probably my most persistant symptom.

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Moderator Emeritus

I get bad fatigue after I make a reduction of Effexor.  For about five days all I can do is sleep and eat.  Get up, eat, sleep till lunch, eat, sleep till afternoon tea...It slowly improves to where I can get through the day with maybe only one nap and going to bed early.

I had though it was due to my healing brain needing massive amounts of rest in order to heal.  When my Mother in law had a bad fall and head/brain injury last year I learned that this is true - brains require massive amounts of energy to heal.  So when I'm resting I try and remind myself that I'm allowing my brain to get maximum healing done. 

Apparantly rocking back and forward, or swinging, or like rocking a baby, is also very beneficial for brain healing and growth - which is one reason we have instincts to rock babies.  Each time I make a reduction I get almost uncontrollable urges to rock.  At first it worried me, but then I read somewhere about this, so now I go with it.  Very soothing.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Fatigue has been a huge problem for me. I notice when I get "enough" sleep I do however feel better. "Enough" in this case was like 10hrs then a 5 hour nap during the day and another 10hrs, then the next day I was able to enjoy life for like 4 hrs. It is hard to get alot of sleep while still trying to work and I find myself just working and sleeping, my job is 75% moving around doing things so I do get a good amount of movement during the day.

I saw a comment above about depression getting worse with fatigue, I do see that happening with me, but I'm not sure if it is to do with just being frustrated all my energy goes into work with no energy left for things to nourish my soul.

Here is a question for everyone, with your fatigue do you get muscle stiffness? I find the more fatigued I am, the more my extremities feel like hardening clay, like my body is saying "we are done".

2001-2010: Put on and taken off numerous Antidepressants when they stopped working.

Mid-July 2015: I decided the alternate doses and 150mg were not working so I used a pill cutter for an even 175mg

September 2015: Back to 150mg and tried new doctor. She told me to try Sam-e, taking 200mg daily. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Machawolf,

I get something similar - stiff muscles, and a very heavy feeling in my body, like I weigh twice as much as usual.  To me the stiffness seems to be because my body needs to be moving more, but due to the fatigue I haven't been able to accommodate it. 

When I am napping lots in my extra tired days (just after a reduction) I find I need to do lots of stretching - arms, legs, back, and flexing my feet.  Hot baths also soothe it nicely. and hot-water-bottles.

Fatigue can be especially frustrating when it seems to get in the way of us taking care of ourselves.

Yesterday I had my first day without a nap in about 18 days.  I hope you find some better days coming soon - I remember (from just a few days ago) how it can feel like it will never end.  

Take care of you,

Karen 

Here is a question for everyone, with your fatigue do you get muscle stiffness? I find the more fatigued I am, the more my extremities feel like hardening clay, like my body is saying "we are done".

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

I get leg fatigue only. They are jelly sometimes in my thighs and it is the same feeling I got when starting these Meds back in 03. Now that I am finally off the leg issue is back but on and off. Sometimes I think I can't hold myself up. Also the knee pain is bad too, but that also waxes and wanes.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

Hi Machawolf,

I get something similar - stiff muscles, and a very heavy feeling in my body, like I weigh twice as much as usual.  To me the stiffness seems to be because my body needs to be moving more, but due to the fatigue I haven't been able to accommodate it. 

When I am napping lots in my extra tired days (just after a reduction) I find I need to do lots of stretching - arms, legs, back, and flexing my feet.  Hot baths also soothe it nicely. and hot-water-bottles.

Fatigue can be especially frustrating when it seems to get in the way of us taking care of ourselves.

Yesterday I had my first day without a nap in about 18 days.  I hope you find some better days coming soon - I remember (from just a few days ago) how it can feel like it will never end.  

Take care of you,

Karen 

That is exactly how I feel Karen B! Too tired and sore to do anything but to agitated to relax. I get the jelly legs to DLB. It has been way to hot to do any heat and I am constantly doing little stretches, but it seems to minimally help unless I get rest which I can’t seem to manage most of the time between working a full 40 hours and doing housework which both exhaust me horribly these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started having bouts of extreme fatigue that last about a week, where I can barely get out of bed, and my mind is so foggy I can barely get words out. Even coffee is no help. I'm very weak, having trouble keeping my eyes open, but don't have any other flu-like symtpoms.  Odd thing is - this only started a year into protracted withdrawal, and it doesn't seem to correspond with my waves or windows - it happens sporadically in both.  It also has nothing to do with how much sleep I get, and tends to be worse when I actually get 8 hrs (though maybe I'm just sleeping more because of the fatigue)... 

Could I be having new withdrawal symptoms after a year, esp if they don't align with windows/waves?

Trazadone:  

January 2000 - September 2013:  150mg

September 2013 - March 24, 2014:  75mg

March 24 - April 7:  50mg

April 7 - April 14:  25mg

April 14- May 1:  12.5mg

May 1:  off

Currently taking:  Levothyroxine & Liothyronine (for hypo-thyroid), Estrogen patch (post total hysterectomy), see second post for detailed list of supplements. 

Guys I have the exact same symptoms of jelly legs. Somedays I have trouble holding myself up. Its not consistent every day. General weakness has been consistent since month 7 or 8 for me but the extreme weakness id say a few times a week rears its ugly head.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I have the same thing thing going on regards the fatigue and knees feeling wobbly.

My doctor said these are the last symptoms to go and can be very persistent.

I just started wearing compression bands on my knees and it seems to help my knee instability.

I am able to go up and downstairs without feeling like my knees will give out.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Hey Lexy good idea with the bands! Im okay on the stairs aswell. It seems tougher to go out to a mall or a grocery store. Im surprised your doctor even knows that its a symptom of WD.

Many antidepressants reduce sodium levels in the body which can cause fatigue, nausea, et cetera. See:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/417785-signs-of-sodium-deficiency/

Lexapro dropped mine below desirable levels and two months later, off of Lexapro, my sodium level is still at the rock bottom number of the desirable range. It might be worth having sodium levels checked for those who are experiencing chronic fatigue.

My doctor had me take a blood test after complaining of feeling very faint and tired. The only thing that he saw was that my sodium level was low.

On a recent trip out of town my Mom suggested a salt cave at a spa like setting. I had been extremely tired and feeling so much leg pain from having gone out the night before (first time in years) and staying up until 5am. I didn't expect anything from the salt bath however was curious. I thought it would just be a regular bath. I was wrong it literally looked like a Himalayan salt cabe with salt rocks on walls and ceiling. The floor was made of salt crystals. We took off our shoes and walked in barefoot. They turned on a mist fan and all I felt was a cool breeze. Soft music played in the background as we lied down in a lounge chair with soft music playing in the background. I felt very relaxed and almost fell asleep. To my surprise right after I felt less pain and not as tired. The positive effects lasted for about 5 days. I've been searching for a salt cabe nearby without any success. I did purchase some salt stones that i use to kneed my legs with. It helps a little. I have done Epsom salt baths it helps to relax but only takes leg pain away while in bath and as soon I come out it's still there.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Very interesting I must say. I've had a million blood tests but I wouldn't be surprised if my sodium levels were not checked. I will ask to get that checked next time. Ive never heard of a salt cave before. I will see if any exists In Toronto where I am. I know salt can play a major part in health. I soak my feet in epson salts and its good for relaxing but It hasnt taken away the weakness in my knees and legs. I really think once this weakness goes away I would be at 80% healed.

Today is one of those days. I have 0 strength to do anything. My body feels triple the weight. Cant wait for the fatigue/weakness to lift!

Today is one of those days. I have 0 strength to do anything. My body feels triple the weight. Cant wait for the fatigue/weakness to lift!

Sorry about that. Those times when the symptoms are really bad are so difficult to get through. I hope it passes for you soon

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

Thanks Cressida! Lots of rest for me I guess

I went through protracted WD from Prozac years ago. 

The worst symptom was the exhausting, chronic daily fatigue. I also had sensitivity to light.

Both symptoms persisted very long, but both went away after three years.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Clearday I was curious did anything help when you were that weak? When did you start to notice an improvement? Did it gradually go away? Or did it go away fast once you started to get a bit stronger?

Nothing helped or hindered it. It settled in and seemed it would never go away. It had its own timetable.

After three years of the fatigue, it finally went away, gradually. 

During those three years, stress was hard to handle, multi-tasking was out. I got mentally tired very easily. Physically, I exercised a lot, lifted weights, went running. That usually made me feel good. It was the mental fatigue that was horrible. I couldn't handle stress. 

I didn't know it was SSRI WD at the time, so I did not manage it well. I thought I had some mysterious illness, so I lost hope and gave up six years of hard earned sobriety and returned to drinking alcohol. The stress reducing component of alcohol helped my symptoms in the short term, but were detrimental in the long-term.  I do not recommend alcohol or nicotine as treatment for SSRI WD, because of the obvious risk of abuse and complications.

I also flirted with two other SSRIs during that time, trying to treat the symptoms of what I now realize was SSRI WD. That probably did not help my healing.

Perhaps if I knew what was going on, I would have taken better steps to heal, knowing that it was just protracted SSRI WD. I certainly would have never taken SSRIs again if I knew it caused me all that fatigue and disability. 

I have struggled with hypoglycemia on a daily basis my whole life. Six years ago I eliminated all bagels, cakes, cookies, ice cream, and candy. Replaced the breakfast bagels with much more complex carbohydrates (buckwheat groats). That has given my overactive pancreas a break and stabilized my blood sugar levels, definitely helping to increase my physical and mental energy levels.

It has also decreased anxiety levels significantly, since sugary foods ultimately increase adrenaline (and adrenaline gives us stress). I absolutely miss ice cream and candy, and pastries etc; but much better to be healthy and feeling more energy than to slowly kill myself with sugary foods. Fruit is an excellent replacement for those sugary foods, and for the first year or so after stopping the sugary foods, I ate a lot of fruit. I became a Mango expert and ate lots of apples. 

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Thanks for the response and tips clearday! Sorry that was such a long haul for you and Im glad it went away for you.

Like you If I knew what was going on earlier I could have treated things differently. I think so many of us on here dont figure things out for awhile. We usually listen to our doctor's who are blind about the whole thing. My only vice is coffee which is tricky in WD. It raises my mood but sometimes not so good. I used to love to have a few beers a week expecially after hockey with my friends but thats out of the question for me. I don't miss the alcohol at all just the sports.

My fatigue symptoms seem to differ alot from yours. Mentally Im not fatigued but physically Im pretty much house bound. I am huge into fitness and sports. I personally trained for 4 yrs. I mean not being able to do anything physically has at times destroyed my mood. Exercise was a huge part of who I was. I Played multiple sports but I don't have the strength to walk around my block. And if I try and push even a little bit I get a headache and am bed ridden. 10 minutes of an exercise bike even bothers me. Its the weirdest thing. If this would only clear up Id be back at work and probably 80% healed.

Like you Ive given up most of those simple carbs and sugars. My first symptom and worst symptom for 10 months was stomach pain so Ive had to really change my diet. My stomach has improved 70-80% over the course of a year. I love fruit and mangoes and apples are too of my favs. I wish we grew mangoes up here in Canada. I went apple picking for the first time in my life and the apples were unbelievable. Getting fruit when its in season and local is unreal.

Strange, how differently we can be affected by these SSRIs. I have read so many people being physically tired out during withdrawal.

I was always able to exercise, yet the mental fatigue was so brutal that it was enough to take me down. I would lay around on the floor many days, taking care of my toddler in those days. If I pushed myself I could always get the workout in, but always the mental fatigue ruining everything.

Coffee was never a problem for me, and isn't a problem now. It does trigger waves in some folks during WD. 

In SSRI WD, each of us spins the "Wheel of MIsfortune", and we find out what affliction we will be cursed with for the duration.

Hope your physical energy returns soon - BTW, benzodiazepines used to sap my physical energy when I was on them. Klonopin has tiredness as side effect. Not sure if that has anything to do with your fatigue. Maybe you've already made a connection between Lexapro WD and the serious fatigue.

When I went from 10 mg Lexapro to 5 mg, I had some physical fatigue for two weeks, then I stabilized. When I went from 5 mg Lexapro to 0 mg, I had physical fatigue for three months. But not as bad as you do. After doing that, serious WD symptoms did not hit me until 7 months after my last dose (insomnia) and then at ten months (persistent, severe head noise for ten months now).

I see you've chosen a rapid taper off the Lexapro.  I guess folks have already urged you to slow down with that?

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus
I absolutely miss ice cream and candy, and pastries etc; but much better to be healthy and feeling more energy than to slowly kill myself with sugary foods.

I picked up on this because I've had to change most of my diet too - but I can't really change things unless I have an alternative to fill the gap.  Have you made ice-cream?  It can be really healthy and yummy.  We make ours with cream, egg-yolks, maple syrup, vanilla and berries.  It's so good that these days we don't really like shop ice-cream anymore.  And it doesn't matter if you don't have a machine, just freeze it in a container, and soften it for 10mins before you eat it. 

Enjoy,

Karen

8 month hold.

Thanks for the recipe, Karen - sounds great!

24 months SSRI-free  

In a couple days I'll be at 4 months after stopping Paxil 20mg. I suffered from fatigue and weakness the entire time I was on it. Some days were better than others, but overall it was a constant thing I dealt with. After stopping, obviously I've been dealing with good handful of other withdrawal symptoms, but my energy has improved slightly. Not a huge amount, but it's definitely noticeable compared to when I was taking Paxil.

My energy level throughout the day is average I'd say, with ups and downs because I still take Ritalin 30-40mg daily for depression and energy, but it's mainly in the morning when I have to be up for work. I usually feel demolished upon waking, even after 7-8 hours of sleep. If I sleep about 10 hours, I feel a little better but it annoys me that I need more sleep than the average person, or so I've heard 7-8 hours a night is average for an adult.

At the end of the day though, while on Paxil my fatigue was a lot worse.

Thanks Clearday I really do hope it goes away soon! Oh Ive been SSRI free for about 13 months .That was my taper my Doc had me on. It nearly killed me! However like most on here when I compained of the pain and symtoms I was having I was told had nothing to do with stopping meds. The wheel of misfortune couldnt be more accurate!  About 100 different Debilitating symptoms to choose from ! 

Coffee sometimes is the only thing that gives me a bit of energy . Id drink cans of redbull if that would work ! but Im sure it wouldnt.  Im on 0.125 mg of the Benzo so I think it might effect it a bit but not to the extent Im feeling. I feel like Im on about 5mg of the Benzo. I would have 100% linked my weakness to WD if I didnt recently get a blood test that suggested my white blood cells are normal but one aspect of it Lympocytes Has been slightly elavated over normal the last two months. Avg is up to 3.5 and mine is 4.7 so only a bit high. However its enough to really gimme a hard time with having peace of mind. I mean I googled it and oh boy what a mistake. Sometimes research is helpful like I did 6 months of googling all the symptoms I had originally from WD and basically it  scared the daylights out of me , thought I was dying. However it led me to this site which informed me Im not dying and im not crazy .

I saw my Doc today and I have way more tests booked in the next few months to get to the bottom of my weakness. I had been through the same gamet when this first started for my stomach which was originally my worst symptom.  I saw 2 specialists and did every test in the book. So now onto the next set of doctors.   

I was 100% sure that 30 mg of Lexapro for 8 yrs with my fast taper obviously could cause this horrible temporary weakness. But this blood test is spooking me and putting some fear back in my mind.  

Sorry about the headnoise ! I got some of that a bit last month but its settled down since . It came on strong for about two weeks . It will definatly pass in time , maybe its the last thing to go for you ! Hows your sleep now ?

Sorry about the headnoise ! I got some of that a bit last month but its settled down since . It came on strong for about two weeks . It will definatly pass in time , maybe its the last thing to go for you ! Hows your sleep now ?

My sleep is good.

For you, it is good to get those tests done, you never know what you might find. 

But I've been through this extended withdrawal twice.

My experience tells me, when in doubt, blame the withdrawal.

I did so many tests years ago to try to figure out what was making me so tired.

I had high Epstein-Barr numbers during that time. But that means nothing; most people have high EBV numbers during times of stress.

Doctor thought I had "mono", but 90% of people are exposed to EBV ("mono") when young, and are positive for it for the rest of their lives, asymptomatic.

Doctor was quite ignorant, simplistic. Mono doesn't last for 3 years, More like 2 - 3 weeks. 

That result was just misleading. It was the protracted Prozac withdrawal, no doubt about it.

We are tempted to blame any blood test result that may be a little off, as the cause of our affliction.

For you, coming off 30 mg Lexapro for 7 years is a big shock to your system.

I was on 10 mg for two years, then only on 5 mg Lexapro for three years, and I've been hit pretty hard. 

It makes sense that you would be feeling this way during protracted Lexapro WD.

Feel better -

24 months SSRI-free  

Glad your sleep is good that's a key component to healing I believe. I can sleep 7 or 8 hours at most right now. Weird Nightmares used to completely disrupt my sleep schedule. Now its gradually getting better

I just noticed in your signature that your head noise is ringing in ears. Originally I thought you meant racing thoughts. I actually have had ringing and static in my ears off and on for 10 yrs. It has gotten stronger in the last few months. I sleep with a radio and fan to block it out. In fact I always have background noise when im able to do so. To be honest though it almost completely went away for yrs and only recently came back strong. Yours will continue to get better

Your definitely right and I have read it also that people have elevated levels during times of stress. And I have never been under more stress in my life. Your doctor definitely was ignorant no doubt. 99% of them are the same. I think if my blood levels come down next test Ill stop worrying about everything. My levels are only slightly off so im not sure why I've been so worried. Maybe because we feel so different and beaten down from WD we are susceptible and vulnerable to believing anything and everything is wrong with us.

I just noticed in your signature that your head noise is ringing in ears. Originally I thought you meant racing thoughts.

Maybe because we feel so different and beaten down from WD we are susceptible and vulnerable to believing anything and everything is wrong with us.

My worst ringing is often accompanied by head pressure, ear pressure, some increased anxiety and some racing thoughts. That little package of symptoms is my main withdrawal.

I spent so many years trying to figure out what my symptoms were back in my Prozac WD years, not even suspecting it was connected to stopping Prozac.

So all those tests came back negative, and for all appearances, I was in excellent health.

So once I finally found out that WD from SSRIs can be so severe, and cause the exact weird set of symptoms that I was having, and so many others who stopped SSRIs, it quickly became clear to me that the only thing causing my symptoms was SSRI WD.

If you list all the symptoms that you have together, as a package, there really isn't any other illnesses that commonly cause such a strange affliction. 

And if you couple that with the fact that it happens during a fast taper or cold turkey, then it becomes pretty obvious.

All these people with akathisia, or paresthesia such as numbness, burning, itching skin all over their bodies, along with tinnitus, unusual anxiety, abnormal sweating, strange nightmares, etc. Many of these people getting it "out of nowhere" with a delayed response of WD, between 3 - 12 months after their last dose. These are the fingerprints of SSRI WD. 

The only other illnesses that are comparative are other dysautonomic afflictions, such as:

Gulf War Syndrome and 9/11 First Responder syndromes (exposure to neurotoxins)

Fibromyalgia (due to stress or neurotoxins)

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (due to exposure to virus)

Irritable Bowel syndrome (stress)

For me, all my symptoms, that I never had before in my life, appeared suddenly during the months after I stopped the SSRI. Cause and effect was very clear.

24 months SSRI-free  

You explain and summarize it so well. When I list the 10-15 symptoms that suddenly appeared after cutting my dose fast they're is nothing else it could be. My symptoms started when I started to cut my medication, every single one of them. It's very obvious to those of us going through it. Yet almost everyone one of these DR will not put the blame on the meds.Its very weird, alot of the time I felt like I was in a twilight zone? I tell friends and family about it and they always ask what does the DR say which in turn makes me look nuts. I was more vulnerable at first and scared /upset with the lack of knowledge now I'm just angry and pissed off. Hopefully soon I can shed the anger aswell.

The only thing I won't abide by is taking more meds. My old psychiatrist who I saw when my WD started prescribed me Lyrica on several occasions. I went to him in so much pain in my body looking for answers. I took the script but never filled it.

My stomach symptoms mimicked plenty of disorders. I got tested for every one that it could possibly be. My GP diagnosed me with Irritable Bowel syndrome. The first GI doctor diagnosed me with minor gastroparasis and gave me a script for a drug that helps move food through the digestive track. I did take it and it didn't work.The second GI doctor diagnosed me with psychosis and said my symptoms were in my head. And my Psychiatrist also diagnosed me with gastroparasis and chronic headache pain . After the 10 month mark it magically went away. I have residual stomach pain and discomfort/sensitivity but it gets better every month. All of this occurred when i hit the 5 mg mark of Lexapro cutting from 30mg and all these idiots diagnosed me with something I never had.

I'm sure the same thing will happen with my weakness in the coming months unless it starts to clear up

Yes, the majority of people on here seem to have the same experience with their doctors.

It's like listening to a broken record. Sad, tragic, frustrating - there are many words to describe the situation, and we are stuck carrying the bag.

BTW, there are some stories of bad reactions to Lyrica on this website.

After what I've been through, and am going through, I'm very leery of any medications. I was never like that.

Strong antibiotics saved my life from a serious staph infection once, and other times from illnesses that could have killed me, so obviously there are times when we must take certain medications.

Our nervous systems will be sensitive for a least a few years, so we have to be careful regarding taking different medications.

If a doctor tells me I should take a medication, I won't just trust him like I used to. I'll think twice, and do some research first. 

24 months SSRI-free  

Has anyone been told to check for lyme? I've had several people including ones here that believe I my case maybe Lyme disease. They feel I've been tapering slowly for such a long time that I should be better by now. Some symptoms have subsided except for fatigue and joint pains especially knee pain.. Has your body aches and fatigue subsided as you got to lower doses?