Online Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

Altostrata

• Administrator

Some people find CBT very effective in managing troublesome thinking. If you would like to explore CBT, registration on this site is free: http://llttf.com/.

From the site:

"Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) is an evidence-based and structured form of psychotherapy that aims to alter the unhelpful thinking (cognitions) and behaviour that commonly occur during times of distress. The model is fully compatible with the use of medication if this is indicated. The National Institute for Clinical Excellence provides an overview of the evidence supporting the effectiveness of CBT."

Also see this summary about CBT from the Royal College of Psychiatrists.

This site has been recommended by SA member kyla88.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...

This is an interactive program online called MoodGYM.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very cool. Here is a description from the website:

What is MoodGYM?

MoodGYM is an innovative, interactive web program designed to prevent depression. It consists of five modules, an interactive game, anxiety and depression assessments, downloadable relaxation audio, a workbook and feedback assessment.

Using flashed diagrams and online exercises, MoodGYM teaches the principles of cognitive behaviour therapy – a proven treatment for depression. It also demonstrates the relationship between thoughts and emotions, and works through dealing with stress and relationship break-ups, as well as teaching relaxation and meditation techniques.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 1 year later...

Free online CBT workshop, self-paced:

http://www.allaboutdepression.com/workshops/CBT_Workshop/index.html

Haven't tried it yet though, but the only one of its kind that I've found so far.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

• 3 months later...

I just came across a website www.mytherapycouch.com. It is a support forum for those struggling with depression, PTSD, anxiety, etc. This board is great for support on individual issues that can experienced after coming off the drugs and finally experiencing the emotions that have been buried so long. There is a doctor that you can speak with. I have found it helpful for my PTSD from my childhood traumas. 

Does anyone know of any books that can help you recover from PTSD? 

Mods if this is out of place or inappropriate, I am genuinely sorry. I do not mean to step on toes. 

Was on antidepressants on and off from 2000-2007 dx with MDD n anxiety.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

Went through over 50 shock treatments n put on Invega in addition

Spring 2014, made the decision to try to get off some meds.

11 weeks ago I qt quit invega

10/6 reinstated 150 mg of Wellbutrin

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

Progress not perfection!!

• 11 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

This is an interactive program online called MoodGYM.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very cool. Here is a description from the website:

What is MoodGYM?

MoodGYM is an innovative, interactive web program designed to prevent depression. It consists of five modules, an interactive game, anxiety and depression assessments, downloadable relaxation audio, a workbook and feedback assessment.

Using flashed diagrams and online exercises, MoodGYM teaches the principles of cognitive behaviour therapy – a proven treatment for depression. It also demonstrates the relationship between thoughts and emotions, and works through dealing with stress and relationship break-ups, as well as teaching relaxation and meditation techniques.

I just made an account at the above site and started some of the exercises, it looks good. Its free and you don't even have to give them your email address.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

http://llttf.com/ has also been highly recommended by our lovely mammaP.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

i found online one long and detailed CBT book, if you guys are functional enough to read, because often i'm not.
the name sounds offensive and of course doesn't mean that we are dummies.. but the book in general is good and as i said, detailed.

here is a PDF format: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy For Dummies

there are a lot of books who have in their name "for dummies", for example "depression for dummies" and similar and i think that those books are good, i'm using one of them for my struggles.

My withdrawal journey (click)

"If you're going through hell - keep going".

thanks apathic! i appreciate the share

2006-2010: various ssri. settled on effexor max dosage + addicted 2-4mg xanax + alcohol everyday

2011: Cold turkey EVERYTHING.

2011-2016  Completely sober. No ssri. nothing. no alchol. no weed

2016: Major life event. Began taking celexa for 3 months.

2017-2022december: Effexor max dosage 

*note 2019-2022  , thc everyday 80-100mg oils

*note 2022-2023Feb,  1lbs of MJ flower per month, 1oz per day almost

*quit effexor cold turkey(dec 2022) and quit thc cold turkey in feb 2023

-did cardio EVERYDAY 2-3x per day then cardio machine broke...

instantly crashed, depression etc....I ran back to THC from may 4 to may 24...

-Cold turkeyd weed on May 24th after that 3 week binge. Came to my senses.

I also use these free cognitive guided meditation practice recordings which are free.. https://www.guilford.com/companion-site/Mindfulness-Based-Cognitive-Therapy-for-Depression-Second-Edition/audio

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• 9 months later...

Hi I was looking into online therapy ,has anyone got experience in doing this .

I'm very dubious about this over the internet.

Thanks in advance for any replys 

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Powerback, there are a number of venues through which you can seek out online therapy, at least in the U.S.

I do some of this myself, as a psychologist, for people in the U.S., specifically in New York state (professional licensure is state by state here).

Check out livehealthonline.com  or AmericanWell.com for information about how this is done.

I do not know about Ireland, though, as far as their rules or coverage--sorry.  Ask your health authorities there about this.

Online therapy is an up and coming thing now and it will probably get more and more popular.

Be careful though that you don't hook up with a therapist who knows nothing about WD. They can do you more harm than good.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

24 minutes ago, DrugfreeProf said:

Powerback, there are a number of venues through which you can seek out online therapy, at least in the U.S.

I do some of this myself, as a psychologist, for people in the U.S., specifically in New York state (professional licensure is state by state here).

Check out livehealthonline.com  or AmericanWell.com for information about how this is done.

I do not know about Ireland, though, as far as their rules or coverage--sorry.  Ask your health authorities there about this.

Online therapy is an up and coming thing now and it will probably get more and more popular.

Be careful though that you don't hook up with a therapist who knows nothing about WD. They can do you more harm than good.

Thanks DP for your insight .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Songbird changed the title to Online Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy