SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Citalopram16: citalopram withdrawal

Citalopram16

Hi, so I am about to start my journey of slow withdrawal. I aim to contact my GP tomorrow to make an appointment to ask him for some support. Firstly I need him to take me seriously about the severity of two previous attempts at withdrawal and secondly I need him to be able to provide me with liquid form citalopram which is doubt more difficult to get. Any support and advice is greatly appreciated. I’m desperate and also determined.

Edited by mammaP
Added name to title

10mg citalopram initiated aged 16

increased to 20mg approx age 20

Rapid withdrawal attempt two years ago (disaster)

taking 20mg until aged 30. Now using citalopram liquid and slowly reducing by 2mg every 5 weeks approx. 

Currently down to 10mg. Determined to succeed with complete withdrawal. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Citalopram16: citalopram withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Citalopram16 and welcome to SA,

It's really fantastic that you have found and joined SA before you even start tapering.  Please read the doctor topics before speaking to your doctor.  They are in green.

I'm going to give you lots of links to check out.  Please don't feel overwhelmed, just work your way through them one at a time as you feel able.

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold at that dose for about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  This is because psychiatric drugs create a physiological dependence, not physical like caffeine or nicotine.

Patience is needed to get off these drugs.  We suggest throwing out the calendar and listening to your body and your symptoms.  If after 4 weeks you don't feel stable or life circumstances are a bit more stressful than usual (for example the Christmas period, winter time, or job change) it is better to stay at that dose for a bit longer until things settle down.

We ask all members to create a drug signature.  This appears below every post you make.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  This is the preferred format which makes it easier for us to see your drug history at a glance:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

It is easy to make your own liquid from Celexa tablets.  You can use a combination of tablet and DIY liquid to get your dose.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Keep Notes on Paper

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

Tapering Calculator

It is best to make only 1 change at a time.  It is also better not to start taking a complex vitamin because if you experience issues you will not know what exactly is causing it.  B vitamins can be stimulating especially B6.  hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex  If trying anything new, start with a small amount to see how you react and build up to the recommended amount.  The only supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  Try a small amount one at a time to see how you react.

Even with a careful and slow taper you will most likely experience times of discomfort.  It is best to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

As a word of encouragement, I had been on an AD for 25 years and joined SA 2.5 years ago, after experiencing 3 weeks of bad cog fog when I reduced from 100mg Pristiq to 50mg.  I have following SA's tapering protocol and have managed to reduce from 100mg Pristiq to 12mg in that time.  I have only suffered minor withdrawal symptoms.  I am working 3 days per week.

There are many existing topics and discussions on this site.  You can use the site search function at the top right, or use a search engine and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search string.

As I said, lots of information, but I really want you to have what you need so you can have a successful taper.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  We suggest that members visit each others Intro topics so that can support and encourage each other.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi citalopram6, welcome to SA.  I am pleased that you joined us before staring your taper, most of us ended up here in withdrawal after tapering too fast on doctors orders or quitting cold turkey. It is possible to get free of the drugs safely by going slowly. Doctors don't often understand the need to take so much time and recommend tapers that last only a month or so. Thankfully this is slowly changing as there is more and more awareness of withdrawal. 

I have a friend in the UK who gets the citalopram liquid, but doctors don't always know it is available, or think it will be too costly  so they refuse it. You could go to the chemist and speak to the pharmacist, ask them for the name and dose details so you can give it to the doctor.  My friend did this for citalopram, she was surprised to find that it wasn't very expensive and the doctor was happy for her to have it. If you can't get the liquid it is easy to make your own from tablets.   I see Chessie has replied while I was typing so will leave you in her very capable hands, she will have posted some links for you. You might have already seen them but it is good to have them right there at the top of your topic so they are easy for you to find as you taper. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you so much. I am brand new to this site so just working out how to use it etc as doing so from a mobile. Really appreciate your reply, I can already see this has been a good move.xx

taking 20mg until aged 30. Now using citalopram liquid and slowly reducing by 2mg every 5 weeks approx. 

Hi! I’m really new to this so please bare with me. I’d like to taper using the 10% method from 20mg citalopram (taken for 15 years!) however I don’t understand how to measure out some of the figures given on the tapering calculator. It looks really complex! Sorry, i’m not the greatest with numbers. Please help! 

• Moderator Emeritus

An easy way to work out your next taper dose is to multiply the current dose by 0.9.  This will be the dose you need to take.  If you want to double check your calculations you can also multiply the dose by 0.1 and then deduct that from the previous dose.

Current dose = 20mg

1st reduction:     20mg x 0.9 = 18mg       double check:     20mg x 0.1 = 2mg   so   20mg - 2mg = 18mg

2nd reduction:    18mg x 0.9 = 16.2mg   (if you can't easily measure 16.2mg round up to 16.25mg or 16.5mg - NOTE always round up)

Please note that the next reduction needs to be calculated on the dose you took:

3rd reduction (choose one of these doses):

16.2mg x 0.9 = 14.58mg         (eg round up to 14.6mg or 14.75mg)

16.25mg x 0.9 = 14.625mg    (eg round up to 14.75mg)

16.5mg x 0.9 = 14.85mg         (eg round up to 15mg)

Remember that the next reduction needs to be calculated on the dose you took on your 3rd reduction.

I hope that helps.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Citalopram16 -- I've been tapering off Citalopram/Celexa for the last three and half years. I've been using the liquid solution.

The following might be helpful:  In the Citalopram oral solution (250 mL) I get from my pharmacy every 5 mL contains 10 mg of Citalopram. So, you will need to make a simple conversion to get the right amount of the liquid. Here's the formula: (Volume [in mL] Citalopram solution) X 2 = (mg Citalopram drug). 

There are three different non-needle syringes out there/available (that I know of): a 10 mL, a 1.0 mL, and a 0.5 mL. You should try to make your drops/reductions as precisely as you can, and to do that you might sometimes need to use all three syringes for the same drop/reduction.

If you were starting from 20 mg a day you would be taking 10 mL of the oral solution a day.  20 mg of Celexa in the oral solution would amount to 10 mL (using the simple formula stated above). Your first drop/reduction would be a reduction of 10% from 10 mL (90% of 10 mL), or 9 mL (that one's easy to calculate). Your next 10% drop/reduction would be from 9 mL (90% of 9 mL), or 9 mL X 0.9 = 8.1 mL. Your next drop/reduction would be calculated 8.1 mL X 0.9 = 7.29 mL. The next drop/reduction would be calculated 7.29 mL X 0.9 = 6.56. Etc. Etc. The first drops/reductions are quite large in volume compared to the tiny ones you'll make later.

Please check my math! I hope this helps.

Myndfull 

Edited by ChessieCat
added alternative words for clarity

I had tried and failed to stop Paxil several times (though never using a long, slow taper) and thought Celexa might be easier, so I shifted to Celexa in 2012. In August of 2014 I began a serious tapered withdrawal from Celexa (20 mg.), making monthly drops, mostly 10% of the last dose, sometimes more, sometimes less.  In July of 2016 I took an early retirement at 59 in large part because of my intense withdrawal  symptoms.

Three years and eight months after beginning my taper, I stopped taking Celexa on 5/12/18.

I am currently in recovery and I am very slowly getting better. I still have waves and some are quite bad. But overall the trend is toward healing.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. May I ask why it has taken 3.5 years? Is it because you have chosen to do it so slowly? I have made the error of doing it far too quickly (advice of gp). And it was absolutely savage. I just hope my Gp is understanding and supportive. 

Thank you both! 

9 hours ago, Citalopram16 said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. May I ask why it has taken 3.5 years? Is it because you have chosen to do it so slowly? I have made the error of doing it far too quickly (advice of gp). And it was absolutely savage. I just hope my Gp is understanding and supportive. 

I tried to get off Paxil, which I'd taken for about 17 years, before switching to Celexa, but I'd attempted it not know what I was doing. I felt horrible--vaguely suicidal (not me at all). So, I eventually found this site and figured out I was doing it all wrong and then started a slow taper. 

I'll probably finish or "jump" off completely sometime this summer, so it'll be closer to four years since I started. That time period seems to be par for the course for a slow taper. There are those who have taken longer, five to six years. The fact that I've come this far strongly suggests that dropping 10% of the last dose is the way to go. As I wrote someone on the site, if I had to do it all over again, I'd take even more time.

I hope your Gp is supportive, too. As you proceed, you might have to teach him/her a thing or two about the process. So many of them really don't understand what we're all going through.

I had tried and failed to stop Paxil several times (though never using a long, slow taper) and thought Celexa might be easier, so I shifted to Celexa in 2012. In August of 2014 I began a serious tapered withdrawal from Celexa (20 mg.), making monthly drops, mostly 10% of the last dose, sometimes more, sometimes less.  In July of 2016 I took an early retirement at 59 in large part because of my intense withdrawal  symptoms.

Three years and eight months after beginning my taper, I stopped taking Celexa on 5/12/18.

I am currently in recovery and I am very slowly getting better. I still have waves and some are quite bad. But overall the trend is toward healing.

its fantastic to hear that you’re almost there. Well done! It has truly given me a sense of hope. I am terrified due to past experience I must admit. 

• 3 weeks later...

So my GP was reasonably supportive and provided me with citalopram liquid. 20mg= 8 drops. Therefore i’m Taking 7. It all feels a bit unreliable to me. I dropped it into an egg cup and could barely get it out and it wasn’t peppermint flavoured at all it tastes worse than beat vodka! Are they trying to put me off or what?! 

• Moderator Emeritus

I have merged the new Intro topic you created with your original Intro topic.  Each member has only 1 Intro topic where they can ask questions about their own situation and journal their progress.  This keeps your history in one place.

Please do not start any more Intro topics.  Thank you.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn’t aware as I am new to the site and it’s not the easiest to navigate. 

Hi Citalopram16,

I'm interested in your journey because I too have had attempts at withdrawing under doctor's supervision and then crashed. I think the longest I tapered was 3 months, after 7 years on 40mg citalopram.

I'm nearly 15 months into this taper, and down to 6mg. I've been virtually symptom-free. I've concentrated on adjusting to the 'med-free' me and building habits that support emotional health. 

On the length of tapers – it can be alarming to encounter this site and see people putting four, five and six years into a taper.  But the advice is to go slow and listen to your body. If you feel okay, then try a little quicker. I think I remember a few members tapering for 18 month/ a year, and it seemed to go ok. We do tend to get the more intractable and difficult cases represented here, so that's worth remembering. You may be lucky. 

Good luck with it, and it's great you found SA. You will be well-prepared for the journey.

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

Thank you Tikitiki. That’s fantastic that you  are down to 6mg and really gives me hope!  I have had terrrible withdrawal historically so my only option now is to try doing it slowly or face being on them for life. I am on day 2 of 7 drops (20mg to 8 drops). I’ve chosen to drop into an egg cup, add dilute juice then draw up with a syringe so I don’t miss any! You’re right, I’m so pleased i’ve found this site. Can I ask what kind of habits you have developed? 

• 3 months later...

Apologies if this is not the right way to ask a question on this site.. I am having difficulty navigating the site. I would like to share my experience. 

Currently on 10mg of liquid citalopram, noticing that the first week after a 2mg reduction is quite hard and it slowly gets easier. I am determined to come off citalopram after a very long time (too long, clinically inappropriate). I’m also absolutely terrified of what lies ahead. Can anybody offer any reassurance? Or point me in the direction of where to get some. On a lighter note, if anyone is struggling- I strongly advise using the liquid! If only I had known about its availability 10 years ago. Thanks in advance. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post to your Intro topic  which is the place where you ask questions about your own situation.  This keeps your history in one place.

Many members find that the lower their dose gets the slower they need to go by reducing less and/or holding for longer.  Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

SA's recommended tapering protocol is no more than 10% of the current dose and hold for at least 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Each reduction you make is less than the previous one.

10% of 20mg is 2mg.  When you got to 18mg your reduction should have been 1.8mg  to 16.2mg.  You have just gone from 12mg to 10mg so you have made a larger reduction than 10%.  Your new reduction should have been 1.2mg so the new dose of 10.8mg (calculation:  12 x 0.90 = 10.8).

If you are finding that the WD symptoms are unbearable you could try updosing to 10.25mg.  You might find that tiny bit extra enough to take the edge off your symptoms.  If you decide not to updose, my suggestion would be to do a nice long hold before reducing again.  My thought would be at least 2 months from the reduction date.  Three months would be even better.  Some members are doing the Brass Monkey Slide which is a gentler way of tapering.

Remember, the goal is to get of the drug as comfortably as possible, not as quickly as possible.  Patience is needed.  We all want to get off the drug as soon as we can.  Instead of looking at how far you still have to go, look at how far you have already come.

Thanks so much. I’m going to take your advice and hold for at least a couple of months. 

Hi Citalpram16

I'm also about to have a long hold. I think it's good to do that from time to time, but I feel like I need it now. I agree with ChessieCat - my goal is to get off with as few symptoms as possible, not as quickly as possible.

Best

B

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Well done for coming as far as you have! Keep going at a pace that is right for you. I must admit the liquid is a far smoother reduction than when I tried with tablets. I a going to hold at 10mg for two to three months

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! I am now down to 10mg of citalopram. I’m finding it hard but determined to keep going. Strange question- since tapering, I have noticed a lot of hair fall. Far more than usual, large clumps numerous times a day. I never initially linked it to tapering but have never had this before and it co-incides with the withdrawal. Initially I thought it seemed very unlikely, but I guess antidepressants do affect hormonal balances. Any thoughts? 

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on this site.  Please use either the site search function or a search engine and add survivingantidepressants.org to your search term before creating a new topic.  Thank you.

Your post has been moved to this topic:  hair-problems-hair-loss-poor-condition-body-hair-excessive-growth