Jemima

The Off-label Uses of ADs and Antipsychotics

Jemima

Here's a really horrifying quote from Wikipedia:

"Desvenlafaxine (brand name: Pristiq), also known as O-desmethylvenlafaxine, is an antidepressant of the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor class developed and marketed by Wyeth (now part of Pfizer). Desvenlafaxine is a synthetic form of the major active metabolite of venlafaxine (sold under the brand names Effexor and Efexor). It is being targeted as the first non-hormonal based treatment for menopause.[1]"

I've been reading a book called Dying for a Cure by Rebekah Beddoe, and it seems physicians are freely using lots of psychotropic drugs for purposes other than that for which they were intended. So it's more important than ever to research *any* prescription you are given before getting it filled or swallowing anything.

I don't remember who orignally recommended this book, but it's definitely worth reading. The author was treated for postnatal depression with ADs when she was merely fatigued and lonely, as her husband worked long hours and her mother was also full-time employed, although both helped out as they could. With a few tweaks, Stephen King could make her story into a spine-chilling horror tale, but it's for real.

Altostrata

Lots of antidepressants have been marketed to physicians as treatment for symptoms of menopause. I believe Prozac was the first, around 15 years ago.

Pristiq is a recent variation of Effexor that was rebranded with a more feminine-sounding name to be more appealing to women for this purpose.

Yep, it's disgusting that doctors think widespread hormonal disruption, frequently inducing sexual dysfunction and increasing risk of diabetes, osteoporosis, and stroke is an appropriate treatment for hot flashes in older women.

Jemima

It first of all infuriates me that menopause is being treated as a disease. I find that quite chauvinistic - "Just give the little lady a pretty pink pill and she'll quit fussing so much." But to give a woman a strong AD like Pristiq is outrageous! Do they give men ADs for an enlarged prostate? I doubt it.

Rebecca Beddoe cites several antipsychotics being used for off-label purchases in her book, Dying for a Cure. Can't remember which ones or for what at the moment or maybe I was so shocked I simply didn't absorb it. Imagine going to the doctor for, say, gall stones, and being put on Thorazine!

Trust no one who carries a prescription pad. :wacko:

Whatever

Seroquel for insomnia is pretty popular or so I read.

Insommnia pick a door:

Door A: Ambien or Lunesta (Lunesta is safe for long-term use - of course it is nice pharma sales lady)

Door B: Benzo

Door C: Saber Tooth Tiger

Door D: Antipyschotic

I would chose Door C: Saber Tooth Tiger

LoveMissesG

I hate how antidepressants are basically used for any ailment that a person has: headache, backache, 'my child is going off to school & I'm feeling tearful' etc. etc. Honestly, it's all a way for the drug companies to cash in wherever they can & then when you really need help getting off of the poison they have no idea what to tell you or what to do.

It should be illegal!

Barbarannamated

Sarafem is fluoxetine (Prozac) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. I especially hate when they rename for new indication and get a patent extension. Zyban (bupropion) for smoking cessation.

Risperidone is FDA approved for irritability in children with autism (age 5+). APs being used for ADHD now.

It's also frightening that SNRIs, especially Cymbalta, are being used in many pain patients because docs want to minimize opiates.

They are the no-brainer drugs--docs don't have to think or determine an underlying cause when every symptom can be attributed to depression.

compsports

During my psych med days, my psychiatrist would tell me to increase my SSRI dose prior to my period. This led to monthly agitation which led to benzos PRN. Thank god, I was so afraid of getting addicted, I barely touched them.

All I can say is d-m, -d-m, d-m. Oops I had better be careful or I will get diagnosed with intermittent explosive disorder.

CS

Onmyway
On 2/21/2012 at 12:36 AM, Barbarannamated said:

Sarafem is fluoxetine (Prozac) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. I especially hate when they rename for new indication and get a patent extension. Zyban (bupropion) for smoking cessation.

Risperidone is FDA approved for irritability in children with autism (age 5+). APs being used for ADHD now.

It's also frightening that SNRIs, especially Cymbalta, are being used in many pain patients because docs want to minimize opiates.

They are the no-brainer drugs--docs don't have to think or determine an underlying cause when every symptom can be attributed to depression.

Hi Barbarannamated, they can't get patent extensions for that (thankfully!) but can get a new patent for a new use. Those are rarely useful though as any doc can prescribe prozac rather than Sarafem. But the branding really helps in this case. 

I just found this patent for the use of prozac: 

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=47&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=fluoxetine.ABTX.&OS=ABST/fluoxetine&RS=ABST/fluoxetine

"There is disclosed a method for treating certain psychiatric symptoms including anger, rejection sensitivity and a lack of mental or physical energy with administration of a nontoxic dose of a serotonin re-uptake blocker. Preferably, the serotonin re-uptake blocker is fluoxetine or norfluoxetine."

Since when did anger, a normal human emotion become a psychiatric symptom? Or lack of physical and mental energy? Or rejection sensitivity... Arghhhhh

"