Violetsi10: introduction

Violetsi10

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Violetsi10,

It does sound reasonable.

What was the date, day of your last injection and dose?

When did you start the 2 mg(1/2 of a 4 mg tablet) of risperidone?  Date and day.

I see that the injectible continues to be released for 126 days, so you have some overlap going on now, as far as the steady dose in your system.

Can you get the liquid risperidone now?

I might, if I were you, continue with the 2 mg dose by tablet, and add 1 mg of the liquid risperidone to it.  For a total of 3 mg risperidone each day.

That might better cover for when the injection amount stops releasing in your system.

It would be good to have the liquid available, as well, for when you get to further tapering. 

Good to see you posting.  Okay is good.  Any symptoms of concern Violetsi10?

I'm also going to confer with the other mods on this, as to hopefully, minimize any symptoms, that may arise going forward.   

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
conferring

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator
On 11/19/2018 at 3:43 AM, Violetsi10 said:

Hi,

I am now currently on Risperidone tablets 1/2 a 4mg tablet / day = 2mg / day. The doctor I see also said that he is ok to switch to the liquid oral solution but he would like to see me in a meeting first. I am ok.

Thanks. 

How are you feeling, Violet? How did you feel when you started takng risperidone?

If you only started taking risperidone, you may want to stabilize on it before changing the dose to liquid or reducing it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi,

My last injection was sometime around early october and I started the 2mg early november.

I can not get the liquid now because I am abroad.

Do you think I could crush half a tablet and divise into two to make two one mg and add one to the half I take to make 3 mg?

I am feeling ok. I felt that it had maybe partly a different effect taking it orally daily than monthly.

Xeplion (paliperidone) intramuscular injections monthly)) 75mg approx.Sep 2014 - Jan 2016 ----50mg approx. Jan 2016 - Mar 2016 ----25mg approx. Apr 2016 - Jun 2016 Stopped (0mg) approx. Jun 2016 - Apr 2017

---- 25mg approx. Apr 2017 - May 2017 ----75mg approx. May 2017 - Jun 2017 ----50mg approx. Jun 2017 - Mar 2018  ----25mg . Mar 2018 - Nov 2018

----Risperidone tablets 1/2 4mg tablet /day = 2mg/day Nov 2018 - Jul 2019

----Risperidone 1mg/ml oral solution - 2ml daily reducing by 0.1ml every 2 weeks until down to 1ml per day - Jul 2019 - Present  

• Administrator

If you're feeling okay, why do you want to change your dosage? Feeling okay is good. Maybe what you're taking now is fine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I am writing to update and give you my news.

I am ok, I am now living in the UK, where I was born, and I have found a doctor (Gp) who is willing to support me reducing and stopping the drug.

I have recently agreed and decided with him to change form to oral liquid solution (1mg = 1ml) and to aim to reduce to 1 mg /day in a period of about 5 months time, reducing every two weeks by 0.1ml until I have reached 1ml/day to see how I am.

I have talked to him about thing I have learnt about withdrawal and other things and I have made sure that he understood that withdrawal could and might be rough in a way but that withdrawal symptoms do not neccessarily mean relapse or that I need to go back on the drug and I have expressed that it may mean that I need to take it more slowly.

Some of the people that I see like family etc around me have their worries about things but they are also understanding in ways and I have talked with them about things I can do for myself and alternatives etc.

I am keeping reasonably busy with things and am beginning to settle since I have quite recently moved.

I have also applied for a kind of disability benefit and I have made sure in advance that it can be a temporary thing and that I could stop if I wanted and that it does not commit me to anything.

Thank you.

Xeplion (paliperidone) intramuscular injections monthly)) 75mg approx.Sep 2014 - Jan 2016 ----50mg approx. Jan 2016 - Mar 2016 ----25mg approx. Apr 2016 - Jun 2016 Stopped (0mg) approx. Jun 2016 - Apr 2017

---- 25mg approx. Apr 2017 - May 2017 ----75mg approx. May 2017 - Jun 2017 ----50mg approx. Jun 2017 - Mar 2018  ----25mg . Mar 2018 - Nov 2018

----Risperidone 1mg/ml oral solution - 2ml daily reducing by 0.1ml every 2 weeks until down to 1ml per day - Jul 2019 - Present  

• ChessieCat changed the title to Violetsi10: introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Violetsi10,

This sounds good, your update.  Very happy for you.  And you have found a doctor who will help.

12 hours ago, Violetsi10 said:

I have recently agreed and decided with him to change form to oral liquid solution (1mg = 1ml) and to aim to reduce to 1 mg /day in a period of about 5 months time, reducing every two weeks by 0.1ml until I have reached 1ml/day to see how I am.

You might consider going just a bit slower.  For example, if you are starting with a 2 mg dose.  Each 10%(or sometimes less) dosage drop, is based on the previous dose.

2 mg X .90 = 1.8 mg

1.8 mg  X .90 = 1.62 mg

Sometimes members further dilute their liquid solutions, to be able to measure the doses too.  We would need to check on solubility of your solution before having you do that too.

Doing a straight 0.1 mL taper every 2 weeks, might eventually be too much, as cummulatively, you might wind up going too fast.  I have not done the math on your plan though and am not certain what, if any WD you might be experiencing now.

I do, however, applaud your patient approach to this all.  And not rushing into anything too fast.  I also get the feeling that you know your own body/mind quite well and, do things accordingly to that wisdom.

Also, I have to mention, that when switching from pill form to a liquid solution we recommend a cross over as sometimes this will change the absorption of your medication a bit.  Which could result in some WD symptoms too.

This is the usual formula for crossing over from pill to liquid:

Keeping the dose the same during this period.

Day 1-3  Take 3/4 of your dose in pill form + 1/4 of your dose in liquid

Day 4- 6  Take 1/2 in pill form + 1/2 in liquid

Day 7- 10  Take 1/4 of your dose in pill form + 3/4 of your dose in liquid

And then go to taking your full dose in liquid.

Then hold for a bit longer too, just to let your body adjust to the possible changed dosage.

Are you experiencing any WD symptoms now?

And let me know what you think on the above?

So good to hear from you Violetsi10!

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

apologies for the loose ends on the solubility statement I made.  Just noticed your post and can take a look, at another time, to find out more, if needed.

Best

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi,

I may be experiencing some WD symptoms now, but nothing very serious I don't think.

I think it sounds reasonable. I was thinking to do it, I would need to crush up the pill and weigh it on precise jewellers scales or something to measure the quantities and then it should be reasonably simple.

Do you think this would be the best way of doing it?

Best 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Violetsi10,

Are you still taking 1/2 of a 4 mg risperidone tablet each day?

Tips for tapering off Risperdal(risperidone)

Use the Risperdal liquid solution
Titrating using a liquid is very good for very small measured decreases in dosage, allowing more precise measurements.

While bioequivalent to the tablets, the liquid may be absorbed faster. This might cause odd symptoms. To make a change from tablets to liquid, we recommend taking part of the dose in tablet and part in liquid form if possible, then gradually convert to all-liquid, if that is desired.

Using a combination of tablets and liquid

Rather than switch directly to an all-liquid dose, you may wish to take part of your dose in liquid and part in tablets, gradually converting to all-liquid as you get to lower dosages. This can be very convenient and reduce any problems switching from one form of the drug to another. 

(extracted from the link)

And of course, there is more in there, the Tips for tapering link, that should be useful now, too.

So take a look through.

I'll go ahead and confer on this too.  Get some other moderator, and Altostrata input.

Thanks Violetsi10.

Love, peace, healing, and growth, Best to you too!

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Violetsi10,

Okay.  I got some input and I think you are heading forward nicely.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:41 PM, Violetsi10 said:

I think it sounds reasonable. I was thinking to do it, I would need to crush up the pill and weigh it on precise jewellers scales or something to measure the quantities and then it should be reasonably simple.

Yes, this ^ is an option.  Most members use the Gemini20 scale, USA version.   I got one from Amazon for about $20.00 US dollars.  Or the American Weigh - Gemini 20 scale.

Using a digital scale to measure doses

And I'm thinking that you could use the cross over formula, to get down to taking your 2 mg  daily dosage with 1 mg in pill/tablet/or crushed form and then 1 mg in liquid form.

Then just HOLD there for a bit.

Then begin tapering at 10% of each previous dose, using the pill form.  Once you are off the pill form, then the rest of your taper will just be with the liquid.

I think the liquid will be great for tapering when you get to the lower doses.

All for now.

Questions?  Please ask.

And update too. 🤓

Thanks Violetsi10,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

I think I will just do how you said first as I do not have the models of scales you mentionned and it is more work.

Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I am okay. I have been reducing by 0.1ml every two weeks until down to 1ml = 1mg, which I have reached now. I have got around to reading the things showed me earlier and I think it is interesting.

Do you think that reducing this amount every two weeks is too fast and maybe every 3-4 weeks would be better, after what I have been reading?

I may be experiencing some WD symptoms now but I am okay.

Thank you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Violeti10!

And so good to see you here and updating.

How good is okay?  Any WD symptoms apparent after tapering drops or cumulatively.  What symptoms arrive, if any?

Do you recall when you began the taper down from 2 mg/2 mL with the risperidone?  Was it in November 2018, as your signature notes?  And then perhaps you reached the 1 mg or 1 mL(in your case) in July 2019.

Just correct me if I am misinterpreting your signature information.

On 1/9/2020 at 4:23 PM, Violetsi10 said:

Do you think that reducing this amount every two weeks is too fast and maybe every 3-4 weeks would be better, after what I have been reading?

It might be a little too fast.  Give us an idea of how it's gone to date.

Yes, you could increase the interval of time between tapering drops.  I might do that, if I were you.  We often go with 4-6 weeks between tapering drops.

And/or you could begin to do your tapers based on a percentage of each previous dose.

For example:

1 mg X .90 = .9 mg

.9 mg X .90 = .81 mg

.81 mg X .90 = .73 mg

.73 mg X .90 = .66 mg

Each time I multiply the dose by .90 I get the amount in mg that represents a 10% drop from each previous dose. 

So you can see how if you continue with just the .1 mg or .1 mL drop, over time, it may be a greater percentage drop than even 10%

Generally, at the lower doses, one needs to go even more cautiously with the tapers.  And although with risperidone, some of the typical doses are not real high,  they are usually just a single digit,  I think this still applies.   As you get lower, go slower.   Best to be cautious, careful, and hopefully maintain a WD(withdrawal) stability, as much as is possible.

And oh my, so good to see your update(s) Violets10.

Let me know your thoughts.  And a little more about how you are doing, now, since July 2019's update.  Which all sounded really good.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Hello,

Yes I am okay, I have probably had some WD symptoms, I have had muscle aches, some tiredness and maybe feeling stressed and not sleeping well.   

I began to taper from 2mg/2ml around August 2019. I reached the 1mg around December.    

Yes I think it sounds reasonable what you have said.

Thank you.