☼ Lloyd: Effexor withdrawal - 2 months in

Lloyd

@Lostinwonderland Heya, have seen some improvements.

Visual snow (was mild) - gone

Akathisia - Not gone but not as bad as what it was.

Derealization has improved - have occasional moments of clarity (almost).

Brain zaps - lasted around 8 months. Gone now - although I still experience almost was could be called a waking seizure occasionally when I'm drowsy - intense electrical buzzing like my head is being hit with a cattle prod. Always happened if I forgot to take the Effexor.

These seem to have been replaced with other symptoms over time though which is frustrating. Dizziness, Tinnitus, nystagmus / vision problems, dystonia etc.

Doctor thought it was MS. Saw a neurologist who said it wasn't but honestly didn't perform much of an assessment and seem totally disinterested when I mentioned mental health problems. Honest to god if I could rewind back to when i decided to come off this drug I would not have done it. What scares me most is the possibility of never being well again. I mean how long can i person white knuckle this ****? Fear is a powerful thing and its fear that's stopping me from going back in the Effexor. I'm just terrified of it now but its possibly the only thing that will stop this misery. Or it will just make it worse.

Would love to hear from people who re-instated years later during protracted withdrawl.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

Effexor XR 75mg 2006 - 2016 (Discontinued Feb 2016) - Withdrawal for 6 months.

Effexor XR 75mg Re-instated June 2017 (Discontinued Dec 2017)

Effexor XR 2-3 mg Re-instated March 10 2018 - 1 day (Didn't work)

Effexor XR 2mg Reinstated (Again) May 11 2018. 6 Beads

July 2018 - 0.0mg of Effexor. Zilch

• Mentor

Ehi @lloyd, I'm sorry you are struggling for all this time!

I saw that you did many medical tests for understanding better your situation but they didn't show something which can explain your issues, is that so? 

Do the new issues follow the pattern of windows and waves? In that case, it seems to me that they are related to WD... 

July 2015: the 20mg citalopram for great stress begins

After two years I start tapering (slow but without medical advice) and I guess wrongly. First up to 10 mg, then 5 mg and 2 mg (liquid solution) and skips

January 2020 (I don't remember exactly the day): off citalopram (last dose 2mg).

June 2020: adrenal crash. The beginning of Hell on Earth

Current supplement:

- saffron pill (20 mg) + vit. E, omega 3 (EPA + DHA) 2g, magnesium bisglycinate 300 mg, iron , vitamin D3 (2500ui) +K7 (50 ui), vitamin C (1g) + quercitin (25 mg), theanine (as necessary).

Try meditating / mindfulness, walking every day, CBT/ACT, massage.

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" ("And so we went out to see the stars again")

(Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy , Inferno, XXXIV, 139)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

hope you’re doing well, I have read your story and I feel really sorry to hear what you have been through.

I was on multiple ADs in my life and have CTed from most of the drugs and I didn’t know what’s wrong with me as you mentioned I forgot how To feel normal as I had protracted withdrawals from SNRIs specially. 
i changed medication and didn’t work at all until they shifted me to dopamine category which destroyed me into a part I ended up in psych hospital with psychosis when I quitted the “concerta”.

I suffered around 7-8 years and I didn’t have a healthy lifestyle and didn’t know how to live normal like everyone does.

I ended up taking antipsychotic medication for almost 5 months to be specific “invega” the worst one ever and thanks god I quitted I am still going through withdrawals.

I am trying to say it’s neurological issue and it will be cured soon.

I think I destroyed my serotonin nerves were terribly destroyed from list of medication I used in my life.

when read your story I knew I had problem I understood why my life was a mess. 
just wanted to encourage you to stay strong and leave all the crap behind your back recovery is happening as baby step, you’re hero you stood all these 3 years and I am very proud of you. 

- 2013-2014 zoloft 100 mg  xanax 1 mg

- 2015 prozac 40mg/ Xanax 1 mg / zopiclone 7.5

- 2016  brintellix 20mg /Pristiq 50mg / xanax 1 mg

- 2017  Cymbalta / xanax 1 mg / zopiclone 7.5 mg

- 2018 cibralex 10mg/ lexotanil 1.5/ 

- 2019 Effexor 150mg / lexotanil 1.5 

- December 2019  Concerta 36 mg/ zyban 300 mg/ lexotanil 1.5  / zopiclone 7.5 mg / quit on June 2020

- July 2020  Invega Sustenna XR 100 mg shot / lexotanil 1.5 mg  / zopiclone 7.5 mg

- October 2020 reduced the dose to 75 mg shot and Quit

i am still on lexotanil 1.5  / zopiclone 7.5 mg 

• 5 weeks later...

Hey @Lloyd. I'd like to check in with you and see how things have been going, even though I've never posted here before. I'm a big fan of the excel chart you made. I have a bit of a problem with follow-through these days, but I'd like to continue your research and maybe update the excel file too. It is interesting how many people do experience "rapid improvement", but also that they seem to be generally when taking slightly closer to "normal" doses. Of course, the dozen or so cases here isn't really enough data for comprehensive conclusions, but it is helpful for those of us caught in the hell of trying to decide whether to reinstate, updose, or whether or not the reinstatement has had a negative impact. The initial thread from 2011 about reinstatement talks (wisely) about the need to reinstate at lower doses, how sooner is better than later, and how ultimately it is a bit of a crap shoot. But if we are vigilant in collecting and assessing the data from the last 10 years, maybe we can make it a little less crap shooty and help people make good decisions. So maybe I'll try to add to your file, if I have your permission? I'd also like to see how many people slowly updosed to the amounts listed, and how many just jumped in at that level...

Anyway, I'd also love to hear how you are getting on, if you are feeling up to posting! Thanks for all your efforts to help others!

15+ years Citalopram 10mg (sometimes 20?)

2019 Citalopram 5mg. No problem reduction.

2020 Citalopram 5mg to zero. (Feb)

2020 (Feb - mid Oct): Very rare use of 0.125 or .25mg Xanax for really bad symptoms

2020 (Feb - Nov): Occasional use of "Nytol" sleep aid (an antihistamine). 

2020 Failed reinstatement: Escitalopram by accident (not Citalopram).  

-- using a scale, started July 27 0.5mg, doubled every week or so to reach 5mg by Aug 30. Too fast - terrible depression, quit.

2020 (Oct-current): Supplements:

-- Morning: Magnesium 300mg, Omega 3(483 EPA, 360 DHA +Vit E) Night: Liquid Valerian/Passiflore/Escholtzia - French organic herbal sleep aid, 1.9mg LD Melatonin 

2020 Current - new Citalopram reinstatement. (Accidentally started with Escitalopram before realizing and switching to Citalopram Oct. 30)

-- using pipette method: Oct 30, 0.25mg; Nov. 4th, 0.375; Dec. 1st 0.5mg, Dec. 21st 0.75mg Jan 19: Decide reinstatement fail: Jan 21 0.625mg, Jan 28: 0.5mg Feb 8 0mg

Hiya @HardTimes thanks for checking in. Happy for you to keep updating the spreadsheet - PM if you need a copy. I think I still have it laying around (hope). Overall when doing the assessment I did notice that on the majority re-instatement resulted in improvements. It's a shame there's no (not that I'm aware of) long term studies of anti-depressant use or withdrawal syndrome. I suspect that no respectable institution would be granted research funds to go looking under the rug.

I'm over 3 years out now from cessation of Effexor. My symptoms are pretty constant now and i don't seem to be going through windows / waves anymore. The anxiety is pretty bad these days along with vision, balance & tinnitus among others. I may end up re-instating myself. I know if there is a major upset in my life I probably wouldn't survive without something. Its a sad truth.

How are you handling things at the moment?

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

• 8 months later...

Just wondering how are u doing and if u ended up reinstating?

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• 3 weeks later...

Well time for an update.

I survived Akathisia!!!! Of all the horrible things this was by far the worst part of withdrawal - the experience was truly the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Words can't describe how horrible it is to live with it 24x7. It eased up suddenly early this year quite dramatically and then vanished. Occasionally I feel fidgety but that seems to be anxiety more than anything else. I have no idea why it suddenly stopped - nothing changed, diet, medications, environment etc. But either way I am thankful that it has. I do feel loss and grief over the impact it's had on me and how it affected my life these past few years. I've missed allot in life and it was a massive impact on my wife and I guess that's where these feelings come from.

I've made some changes in life and removed a couple of things from it that were affecting me in a negative way and having an impact on my family life. I'm spending more time with my family and re-focusing. I still have allot of residual issues and am still in withdrawal but am seeing gradual some improvements over time.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

• Moderator Emeritus

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for coming back to update.  I am really pleased that you are feeling so much better.

SA would really appreciate it if you would continue to return occasionally to update and when you feel that you have recovered, to write your success story.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 10 months later...

Hi, @Lloyd, how are You doing lately?

I'm sure many people here would be very happy to know if You are good ;)

Wishing You a lifelong window!

V.

Duloxetine 2016/17 - 30/60mg/30mg, c/t, light WD.

Sertraline June 2019 50mg ADR

Clorazepate June 2019 20-15-10mg for 3 weeks then sparsely until 2022, 2 times per month max and very low dose (5mg)

Clorazepate Jan2022 10mg 5 days 2,5mg 2 days then off

Venlafaxine June 2019 75mg ADR, 17,5mg, titrated to 37,5mg

Venlafaxine Jan 2022 Covid, hard ADR on 37,5mg, reduced to 20mg ADR, tried ct, crash,

Venlafaxine 22Jan22 reinstated 9,4mg, too low/ 01Feb22- 12mg/ 12Feb- 11,25mg/ 16Feb- 11mg/ 20Feb- 10,8mg/ 24Feb22-10,575mg/ 16Mar22- 10,46mg/ 26Mar22- 10,35mg/ 26Apr22- 10mg/ 01Oct- 9,9mg/ 13Nov- 9,7mg

01Jan24-7,5mg

MAR24

Due to another sudden intolerance had to fast taper venlafaxine to 1,14mg 

Seems like all of this time I was in benzo withdrawal, because when I took it now in desperation to help it made me feel worse, tried reinstatement first 1mg, then 0,05mg both made me feel worse.

• 3 months later...

Hi! Is your akathisia still gone??? 

2000-2018 150-200mg Sertraline and Vyvanse

2018- vyvanse 60mg to 0 over 6mo. 200mg Sertraline to 150mg. 2019- 150mg Sertraline to 100mg. Early 2021- 100mg to 87.5, two weeks later 87.5 to 75mg, 1.25-4mg bromazepam PRN. Mid 2021 - Feb 2022 taper 2.5%-5% 75mg to 50mg. March 2022 bromazepam for 3 weeks. May 9th 2022 started Propranolol, 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. July 2022- off propranolol Oct 2022- off birth control. Dec 2022- updose sertraline 100mg, benztropine 1mg and Ativan 1mg. March 2023- stop benztropine. May 2023 - ativan taper finished. May 2023 - updose Sertraline to 125mg added propranolol 40mg added Ativan 1mg. July 5- sertraline 112.5mg propranolol 60mg, quick 2 week Ativan taper. Current meds: propranolol 60mg, sertraline 106.25mg, Ativan .025mg, B6, CoQ10, Magnesium Glycinate