Duffer: wife's protracted withdrawal

Duffer

HI,

My wife was on antidepressants starting with prozac for 20 years. As time went on she had side effects that were treated as independent issues, so was given meds for each such as antipsychotics, headache meds, ambien for sleep, pain meds, muscle relaxers, etc.. and finally benzos for a few years.

Eventually she read a book written by someone who said a vagal nerve implant helped. She had the implant for a few years, going in to have it adjusted regularly, and never helped, so had it removed. Unfortunately the wire around her vagal nerve could not be removed so it still there.

Finally we were told the ECT actually worked for everyone but was only as a last resort due to the nature of the process. So she had 13 ECT treatments. What a nightmare. They were not a cure.

Lastly she found the book Your Drug May Be Your Problem and decided to stop ALL meds cold turkey, except noted that benzos should be tapered. So 7.5 years ago she stopped all other drugs and started a nightmare 18 month taper off benzoes. It was probably a nightmare due to cold turkey off all the other meds, but we did not know or understand.

Shortly she will have been off benzos for 6 years and therefore 7.5 years off all other meds.

She is still  what we describe as acute in her suffering. 

I was on benzo buddies for a few years and we also communicated with an internationally known therapist who was in England, came to USA for a while so we had her visit us and help us, but recently she went back to UK. She has published books, has website, etc and everyone probably knows who it is,

Anyway, of everything I ever read, the symptoms reported by Alto Strata were the closest I ever noted to what suffering my wife is experiencing.

Above is the background. 

My wife believes she will never heal so I am trying to find any information that I can give her that people that have been protracted withdrawal for 7.5 years off all other drugs, and 6 years off the benzos, do actually heal. We cannot find any success stories by people going this long. There is a Monica who has videos and blogs who went on about this long , but that is all we can find of long term withdrawal.

Does anyone have any helpful information?

Thank you,

Dufffer

• ChessieCat changed the title to Duffer: healing time
  • Moderator Emeritus

Duffer -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry to learn of your wife's experience.  It's might have been better if Dr. Breggin put full-page bold-face warnings at random intervals throughout his books, "Do not stop taking your medication all at once. Taper gradually to avoid symptoms." Your wife wouldn't have needed Breggin's books and such warnings had her doctor(s) and pharmacist(s) DONE their job -- informing their patient not treating her as if she were an inanimate object to tweak and fix, or be prudent and cautious in prescribing.

We have a success stories forum, link, where people post their recovery stories.  I can't give you any specific topics for the recovery time frame your wife has experienced (or any other timeline, for that matter).

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

HI,

Thanks. Maybe someone else can comment on whether this will end for my wife and is not permanent.

Yours,

Duffer

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am trying to locate any post from Monica Cassini or any other way that I can message her and ask if she is going to post a success story as many have been following her progress and need to hear some success.

Thank you

Duffer

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is the link to Monica aka Gia's topic on SA:  giak-radical-transformative-healing-of-bodymindspirit

NEW!!!     INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder    NEW!!! 

Plodding along inch by inch:  12" = 1',  3' =  36 " or 1 yard,  1760 yards  = 63,360" or 1 mile

Current from 17 Apr 2021:  Pristiq 0.2665mg  now holding each dose for 3 weeks

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015 

My tapering program   My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)  My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

We appreciate your concern and response.

If you follow Monica's website she recently closed it down causing many to have great distress. I think she opened it again but said she was moving on and would not be monitoring as she now has post traumatic stress syndrome, and basicly said " have at it", or something similar.

This caused my wife even greater distress as the one person of similar profile is apparently not healed. It is not clear to me whether she has healed and the PTSS is separate, or she has not healed.

Anyway, does ANYONE know of ANYONE who healed after being polydrugged for 20 years? We need healed / success stories badly and am sure others need same.

I am IT challenged so I havw trouble finding anything,  but i have noticed other's concern that there seem to be no success / healing stories for people who were drugged 20+ years. Some say they moved on when healed and did not post any success story as they wanted to MOVE ON.

I would gladly pay someone to research and collect success stories if anyone knows any or how to find them.

Thanks

Duffer

• 2 months later...

HI,

My wife is now 8 years cold turkey off 20 years of psych meds, sleep meds, pain  meds, muscle relaxers, etc, and 6.5 years off Benzos after 1.5 year taper, and remains in acute withdrawal without abatement of any symptoms. Was on meds similar to Monica?, who recently closed out her website and at 7.5 years indicated she was experiencing post traumatic stresss syndrome.

**Does anyone know of any person who was on these meds for around 20 years and healed AND posted a success story somewhere?

Just looking for hope.

Thanks

Duffer

19 minutes ago, Duffer said:

Does anyone know of any person who was on these meds for around 20 years and healed AND posted a success story somewhere?

Just looking for hope.

Hi, Duffer.  Sorry that you and your wife are going through this.  It's a very difficult situation.

Since you are posting on the "Success Stories" thread I assume you went through them and saw there are several stories of people with 20 year histories with one or two drugs that have gotten off and are doing well.  People like Pug and Hudgens come to mind. Others who have not yet written on that thread include people like Happy2Heal and AliG.

If, however, you are looking for someone in the exact same situation, i.e., cold turkey off of multiple different meds, including benzos and the others you list, I'm not sure I can provide you anything that specific since it would be hard to match drug histories.  I would, however, point you to Rhiannon who was getting off of 4 different meds by simultaneous tapering (different situation but multiple psych meds).

Best of luck to both of you.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• ChessieCat changed the title to Duffer: Wife's protracted withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

☼-rhiannons-intro-by-rhi

rhi-incremental-success

☼-alig-surviving

pug-my-story-including-ct-twice

pug-your-miracle-is-coming-hang-on

☼-hudgenss-story

hudgens-success-story

☼-happy2heal-hope-im-doing-this-right

And in the general forum Introductions and updates any member with a sun symbol  at the beginning of their topic name is healing.

Edited by ChessieCat

Plodding along inch by inch:  12" = 1',  3' =  36 " or 1 yard,  1760 yards  = 63,360" or 1 mile

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015 

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

Thanks, CC.  You are awesome!

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

The physical symptoms can be horrible and I sympathize greatly with your wife and you.  I am wondering if therapy, ie cognitve behavioural therapy and mindfulness could help her deal with the symptoms and the memories of all that happened? 

Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg
Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pw4tjImAJ92OIVyRvZoZYjqxiKMk7wvp-ljiIi1olRo/edit#gid=0

• 1 month later...

HI,

After about 20 years on drugs, my wife stopped several psychiatric, pain, headache, muscle relaxant, sleeping, etc. medications, basicly cold turkey, 8 years ago,  and at that time started a 1.5 year benzo taper, which was completed over 6.5 years ago. So no benzos 6.5+ years and no other meds 8.0+ years, and still in acute protracted withdrawal.

None of the success stories seem to be be about anyone being on drugs that long and then being off that long!

Is anyone aware of such stories or know ANYONE who healed from a similar situation?

Is there any evidence, new or otherwise, that everyone does eventually heal, or do some never heal?

Thanks for your time,

Duffer

35 minutes ago, Duffer said:

HI,

After about 20 years on drugs, my wife stopped several psychiatric, pain, headache, muscle relaxant, sleeping, etc. medications, basicly cold turkey, 8 years ago,  and at that time started a 1.5 year benzo taper, which was completed over 6.5 years ago. So no benzos 6.5+ years and no other meds 8.0+ years, and still in acute protracted withdrawal.

None of the success stories seem to be be about anyone being on drugs that long and then being off that long!

Is anyone aware of such stories or know ANYONE who healed from a similar situation?

Is there any evidence, new or otherwise, that everyone does eventually heal, or do some never heal?

Thanks for your time,

Duffer

I was on every known antidepressant for 28 years and always went on and off them in a matter of days on psych drs advice.. I finally decided to get off all psych meds n Jan 2017 I essentially CT off olanzipine and 200mg of Zoloft within days and a couple of weeks by the end of Feb 2017 again in advice of psych dr...Since I was on 450 mg if effexor xr -- in addition to the olanzipine and Zoloft I thought I would slowly taper from that last about in seven months which I mistakenly thought was a slow taper since my psych dr wanted to taper from that dose in a month!  I was suicidal and it was hell.. I m going into my tenth month off all meds and I m still not right.. bad anxiety attacks no motivation no joy in life in general.. I still hope I will recover but I dont know if I ever will after my CT reduction... Sometimes I think I f$@?Ked myself forever... 

Zoloft . On 10-15 years started 100 mg last dose 200mg tapered to zero in one month.. psych dr advise Last dose:  50mg Zoloft in February 2017

5mg  Olanzipine - 1 -2 yrs last dose 5 mg in Jan 2017 told to stop within a weEk

NOTE:  had very bad withdrawal symptoms with discontinuation of Zoloft and Olanzipine.. very very seriously suicidal... 

450mg Effexor XR - started at 75mg a couple of years ago, increasing every few months until I got to 450mg

beginning in February to July 22 - 450, 300, 150, 75, 37.5 , 16.5 mg

hi Duffer,

what are her remaining symptoms?

did her symptoms ease up at all?

how is her sleep? how is her personality now?

what meds was she on?

On what benzo dosage was she on?

i have read a success story on BB of someone who healed after 12 years. it was inspiring.

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

april to june 2016- valium 4mg, xanax as needed, lunesta 3mg

june 2016 - valium 4mg, lexapro 10mg

oct 2016- valium 2mg, lexapro 10mg- hold

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

LAST dose of Lexapro: 0.05mg on 05/17/19

LAST dose of valium: 0.04mg on 08/18/19

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

coldturkmama
On 2018-04-23 at 5:01 AM, xyz said:

hi Duffer,

what are her remaining symptoms?

did her symptoms ease up at all?

how is her sleep? how is her personality now?

what meds was she on?

On what benzo dosage was she on?

i have read a success story on BB of someone who healed after 12 years. it was inspiring.

I read that as well. :) 

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Administrator

Hello, Duffer.

I combined all your threads about your wife here. In the future, please post in this topic. Bookmark it or follow it so you can find it again.

Our moderators Scallwag, ChessieCat. and apace41 already attempted to answer your question.

xyz is asking the right questions: Exactly what are her symptoms now? How have they changed? Do they follow any daily pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Duffer, here is a link to a success story of someone who took 12 years to fully recover. Thought it might give your wife some hope.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=178596.0

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

• 9 months later...
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Duffer: wife's protracted withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Altostrata is this site's founder, which was started in about 2011.  I suggest you check out her story.  As she tells members, if she didn't believe that people can heal she wouldn't keep running the site, which is free, is hard work and requires many volunteer hours to keep going.  She has done a lot of research and is familiar with the experiences of many members.

There is a link to a video at the top of Post #1.  ☼-about-altostrata-withdrawal-syndrome-since-2004

Please also see this topic which has been written by one of the mods who is now 1+ year Paxil free and was a member of another, now closed website, and is also familiar with the experiences of many members of this and the other website.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

And then we have this forum too: 

Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Most websites i know and all those i have contacted indicate everyone heals in their own time.

On CEPUK.ORG there is a video where Peter Bregin is giving a seminar. Almost at the end of the video a person in the audience asked DOES EVERYONE HEAL. His response was NO, everyone does not heal. My wife wanted me to  find the video and cut and paste the link but i am too IT challenged and some reading this can probably do this and add it to this stream.

Dr Bregin seems to be very knowledgeable. Can anyone dispute his comment that some do NOT heal?

Thanks

Duffer

• Administrator

You're quoting something Dr. Breggin might have said -- or not -- out of context. For him to be able to make a "never" statement, he would have to be following people with withdrawal symptoms to the ends of their lives. To my knowledge, he doesn't do that.

We see people tend to heal, but it can take a long time and be very frustrating.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

HI,

I thought the same but that is why my wife said to include the link to the video because he states clearly  not everyone  heals and not of context, he responds to the direct question DOES EVERYONE  HEAL. i will try to learn how to cut paste or whatever and include the link on this stream.

Yours

Duffer

• Administrator

If you don't mind, I'm not going to watch a video of Dr. Breggin no matter what he said. I wish Dr. Breggin actually was the authority on withdrawal syndrome he claims to be, but I've never found his observations to be informative. His main message is don't go on the drugs in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Duffer said:

I thought the same but that is why my wife said to include the link to the video because he states clearly  not everyone  heals and not of context, he responds to the direct question DOES EVERYONE  HEAL.

If you look at what Alto said, which is spot on, there is NO WAY Breggin can know whether everyone heals because he doesn't follow everyone to the end of their run.  The possibilities with neuroplasticity make it impossible to say that anyone can't heal.

Continuing to press on with line of discussion serves no purpose other than to upset an already fragile membership group.

If you listen to Breggin's most recent material -- primarily from his podcast/radio show -- I would suggest that the thrust of his position is that people heal but that healing takes place in different ways and you need to learn to adapt during the process.

Best,

Andy

On 3/22/2019 at 2:29 AM, Duffer said:

HI,

I thought the same but that is why my wife said to include the link to the video because he states clearly  not everyone  heals and not of context, he responds to the direct question DOES EVERYONE  HEAL. i will try to learn how to cut paste or whatever and include the link on this stream.

Yours

Duffer

Breggin does talk about people going on to live fufilled lives. I think healing can be conceptualised differently for everyone. I have a friend who has lost use of his legs due to a rate autoimmune condition of the nerves, the doctors are still perplexed. He is in a similar situation, since there is no one like him and no diagnosis, he continues on with is attempts with physio. He still is currently living life albeit, he does suffer immensely as he is confined to a wheelchair, but he tries to work around it and he believes he can heal. He initially was paralysed up to the neck but has regained upper body use. Also, I know ppl with chronic pain who have sadly had to adapt to their suffering but do manage to find moments of respite or life. It is a bitter pill to swallow, to suffer so much from something unwanted. Maybe your wife has to go through this process of losing belief in order to find it again? It is great you believe in her ability to heal and that is why you are here on this board, fighting for hope. It's because you haven't given up. I'm only 8 months in, and boy have I suffered, so I can't imagine your wife's suffering ( which we can only approximate since none of us know what each other are experiencing) after all these years. Easier said than done to adapt to unfortunate life circumstance.

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse manic reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     

2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

HI,

i always appreciate everyone's comment on this difficult subject.

Maybe i need a different approach as we are just looking for hope.

**i have asked before if anyone knows ANY success stories where someone polydrugged for 20 years or more got off the drugs and actually healed. Every time i have asked this question well meaning people have referred me to success stories that have  nothing to do with anyone having been polydrugged for 20 years+ and actually  healed.

Does anyone know of any such success stories?

Thanks again.

Duffer.

coldturkmama

I don’t know of any personally, but I know I’ve read of them after 15 years. 

I myself was on Paxil almost 15 years and cold turkeyed and I am healing more and more all the time. I have had a long hard road but I think people heal even after 20 years. Good luck!! 

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• 9 months later...

HI,

My wife is now 3 months past 8 years post 18 month benzo taper and 9.5 years cold turkey from all other meds and still no improvement,

Baylissa, Mr. Whitaker, Alto Strata and  many others have not been able to give us the name of anyone healing after 20 years on multiple psych drugs. 

Another highly knowledgeable moderator from this website who offered detailed comment on the process even said they did not know of anyone with this profile ""but they must be out there",

Dr.Peter Bregin, during a CEPUK video presentation, near the end, was asked specifically if everyone healed. He said not everyone heals, but in the same sentence said something similar to " but they live happy lives". We have no clue what that means, and no one to ask. If they hadn't healed from the suffering my wife experiences, they could not be happy.

Anyway, some time has passed since my last post so I am still asking if anything changed and someone can now refer us to anyone who healed after ceasing 20 years of medication.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time and we hope ALL are doing better than we are.

Sincerely,

Duffer

sunnysideup69

Hi @Duffer, I was just looking at Dr Kelly Brogan's website this morning, and she has testimonials from people who've healed from 20 plus years on psych meds. Also if you check out her YouTube channel.

Plus my very own dad. He took psych meds for roughly that length of time, tons.of them, finally ending up on benzos, which he cold turkeyed, and lithium, which he also cold turkeyed. That was after cold turkeying several older style antideps over the years.

Not gonna lie, his anxiety flares up from time to time, but he is now 87 and just lives with it. I do notice he seems to have quite bad memory loss in his old age. 

He has been psych drug free since his late fifties.

I can't put you in touch with him, I'm afraid, if that's what you meant. But he is an antidepressant and benzo long term survivor.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 200mg Magnesium Glycinate

• 1 month later...

I thought Happy2Heal was 40 years of medication? She has a success story and says she's 100%! 

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 

• 1 year later...

HI,

My wife is now 10.5 years off being polydrugged, COLD TURKEY,  and 9 years off benzos after a horrendous 18 months taper.

So the benzo taper started the same day she COLD TURKEYED all the other psych meds.

She is still in acute protracted withdrawal or is permanently damaged, no one knows.

We are becoming VEGAN and are considering JUICE FASTING.

Does anyone have any experience with JUICE FASTING, and in particular, and success in healing from such?

Thanks,

Duffer

Hello @Duffer,

There a lot of existing threads : you can use Google and do a search with "survivingantidepressants.org" + "your search".

You might find these threads interesting  :

1. juicing

2. fasting

Take care.

2006 : 20mg Paroxetine + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 2008 : cold turkey of both

2010 : 20mg Deroxat + Bromazepam

2013: Switch from Bromazepam To Prazepam

2014-June2017 : Prazepam taper

2018 to August 2019 : Paroxetine 20mg taper (3% every 15 days).

- 22nd August updosed To 10mg (was at 8.4mg)

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paroxetine. 

April 2020 : Paxil to Prozac bridge. Details topic/21457-

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate/ fish oil/ evening primrose oil 

Current medication :  7mg Fluoxetine (since 20 Aug 2020)

+ 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

(Toothpick Paroxetine from September 2020 to 17th March 2021)

Rosetta

Duffer,

Perhaps your wife is suffering more physical issues than mental or is it both? It would be helpful if you could list her symptoms here.  I would like to know which symptoms have resolved, which have lessened, and which have remained.  Have you seen Dr. Glenmullen’s list of withdrawal symptoms?  You could use it as a checklist to jog your memory and list all the symptoms.  There is even a template here somewhere that can be printed.

I’m terribly sorry your wife has struggled with this at all let alone for over 10 years.  I am often surprised by how many different substances can make the symptoms of WD return.  Once the nervous system is destabilized, many allergens, as well as many medical procedures, can bring it all rushing back.  I’m wondering if your wife has any known conditions that require testing or medicine.  Does she have diabetes or lupus — something along those lines? Does she take medicine for Parkinson’s perhaps?  Has she had MRIs or procedures which require benzos like colonoscopies or cameras put in her esophagus?  If you could list the approximate dates of any procedures that required ingestion or medicines or injections, perhaps I could see a pattern.  Has she had antibiotics for infections? Dental work?    You may not want to put that info here, but I encourage you to list it for yourself and then ask yourself: could any of these meds cause PWS to worsen or continue?  

It seems to me that people can be destabilized by psych drugs and then further injured by the search for a medical reason for their odd symptoms.  Is it possible that has happened?  The time period for recovery from each instance of injury can be 4 years or more.  I can track every surgery, every pain med, every psych med I have ever had and see how my attempts to treat what I thought were separate, unrelated illnesses or injuries that required pain medication or anesthesia interspersed with repeated psych meds kept me in post withdrawal for decades.  

I recovered from a surgery at the age of 10, and I became depressed, but I recovered to an extent.  Then at 18, the anesthesia from an emergency surgery caused mental health issues for me.  I believe I could have healed from that if I had not been prescribed Nortriptyline for depression.  I took that for only a few days or a couple of weeks.  It made everything worse.  I won’t go through my entire history, but pain medication after a cracked vertebrae at the age of 25 affected my mental health greatly.  I never had trouble stopping any pain med.  I just quit and dealt with the pain, but I had no idea that my mental health problems could be caused by a post withdrawal syndrome if I did not exhibit addiction behavior.  It never occurred to me that I was addicted if I could just stop the drug CT and never go back.

I can now see that I had PWS and 

— just a few sleeping pills and a very short try with Paxil caused me a lot of distress.  Throughout all this time, from 18 to 30, I had dental work every few years which included Adrenalin based numbing agents.  They can restart the clock.

By the age of 31, I decided I needed ADs.  I took Celexa.  I was burned in a fire not much later and given a short course of pain meds.  Again, the prescription ran out and I recovered from the pain, but my depression was awful.

I recovered and fell back, recovered and fell back.  I do not think I ever had the chance to recover from the dysautonomia of PWS before another pain med or psych drug or sleeping pill knocked me back down again.  Alcohol is yet another drug that people don’t think of as a danger to people who have had surgery or an adverse reaction to a medication.  Alcohol knocks people back so easily. Antibiotics such as Cipro can have mental health side effects.  Dental work is never thought of as an event that can affect people with PWS.  It’s very surprising, but true.  Drugs for Parkinson’s have some very concerning effects on mental health.  How many others do as well?  Some drugs we need.  What can we do?  But you are looking for answers.

So, for example, if pain meds can perpetuate dysautonomia, I wonder if almost any drug can perpetuate it.  That’s why I’m asking if your wife has had any unfortunate need to take anything at all for any reason throughout these years she has been suffering.  I know you need hope and to find a reason why this has gone on so long.  I wonder if there could be many different reasons for the fact that she hasn’t progressed to better health.

(I believe that veganism is too restrictive for most people who need amino acids to heal their brains.  Even vegetarianism is less than ideal because it’s complicated and difficult to get what the body needs that way, but I understand your desperation.  I hope you can find a way to practice veganism that is also a brain healthy way to live.  I think it’s a very big challenge that I would not want to take on in the midst of PWS.)

Your devotion to finding help for your wife is touching.  I’m so sorry you have both been through this awful experience.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Wife has too many symptoms to list and for  many there are apparently no words to describe. They are similar to those listed in the Ashton manual on Benzos, but most of those symptoms,if not all, are the same for antidepressant withdrawal. She has not take anything except tylenol for the last 9 years.

We have done this for so long that I need to try to stay focused for now on these two questions:

Has anyone healed or improved by Juice fasting and Juice - vegan diets?

Does anyone know someone who has?

Thanks in advance, 

Duffer

Rosetta

Ok.  I hope you find someone to answer that question.  

Be aware that with juice fasting, the care of one’s teeth must be rigorous.  People tend to lose enamel if they don’t brush after each juice meal, and that can increase the risk of harm to the nervous system from dental numbing agents.  There are non-adrenline numbing agents.  Dentists have to give shots more than once during lengthier procedures, but it’s worth it to avoid adrenaline.  

You have insist and even check the color of the cartridge before the shot.  Look up the colors  - I don’t remember which is which, but I was misled recently by my dentist about the type he used or he was careless.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Rosetta

http://drglenmullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AS-Appendix-1.pdf

To help you track symptoms.  You can print many copies or download it to an iPad and use the “mark up” function to annotate a blame copy and save it with a date in the name.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy