SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

awellformanywishes: Lingering effects of risperidon?

awellformanywishes

Hello, everyone!

I found this useful forum during an internet search, and I am very happy because of it. I will go straight to the question.

I have been taking fluanxol (floupentixol) and Esobel (ascitalopram) for about three months now. 
Recently my pdoctor, prescribed me Medorisper (risperidone) in the place of fluanxol . I tried it (risperidone) for two days on a dosage of 2mg and I felt awful: unfocused, lack of motivation or interest in anything, zoning out, fatigue, very long sleeping sessions, just wanting to lay in bed all the time. Now I called her and told her, that I am feeling god awful I and want to get back on fluanxol, she replied that I have to continue taking risperidone on lower dosage but I don't want to feel dead again.
Since I read that it permanently blocks some kind of receptor forever, should I expect any permanent effects on me after just 2 days of usage?

All answers are greatly appreciated!

• ChessieCat changed the title to awellformanywishes: Lingering effects of risperidon?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to SA.  Is this your first time you have been prescribed psychiatric drugs?  

It is very doubtful that you would be permanently damaged from 2 doses of risperidone, but you could be suffering withdrawal from fluanxol. 

What are the doses of risperidone and fluanxol?  

We ask all our members to fill in their signature with drugs and doses, start and stop dates.  

You can find instructions how to do that by computer, tablet or phone here... 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I am sorry to see that your doctor is refusing to give you the fluanxol back. Do you want to taper off the drugs or are you happy to stay on them?  If you want to taper off you could mention that to your doctor and ask him to prescribe then for you to taper. 

We don't have a topic for fuanxol but do have one for risperidone and the tapering guide will be the same. To start tapering 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks.  If you have a limited supply you could try tapering 10% every 2 weeks and see how you get along.  If there are any withdrawal symptoms you would need to hold until they have settled. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1716-tips-for-tapering-off-risperdal-risperidone/

If you are thinking about tapering escitalopram, (lexapro), you will find the tapering guidelines here.... 

We advise tapering one drug at a time, that way you know which drug is causing withdrawal if you have symptoms. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi a wellformanywishes and welcome from me too.

Please create your drug signature as requested above.  Thank you.

We ask all members to create a drug signature.  This appears below every post you make.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  This is the preferred format which makes it easier for us to see your drug history at a glance:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management