Ellvis: Restless arms and legs

Ellvis

Hi, I tapered down from 75mg (already down from 150mg a year ago) in the last few months. Took my last pill last saturday. The symptoms are ok to handle, but the worst thing is the itching pain in my legs and arms. It feels like there is not enough blood circulation. I have to keep moving them, mostly at night. As soon as I lay down it is unbearable and I can’t sleep. Does anyone have tips or knows what this is? I tried taking asperine, tiger balm, massage, sauna... I also have very low muscle strenght and endurance. I can only walk for about ten minutes and then exhausted. Maybe also related to blood circulation and O2 in the blood?

thanks,

Edited by ChessieCat
removed name

Venlafaxine 150mg since 2014

Tapered down to 75mg end 2016

Startet again begin October 2017

Last steps:

2/6/2018 to 18,75mg

2/13/2018 to 5mg

3/3/2018 to zero

7/3/2018 to 5mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ellvis: Restless arms and legs
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ellvis and welcome to SA,

It sounds like you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from tapering too quickly.  Here is a list of withdrawal symptoms:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

"I tapered down from 75mg in the last few months" 

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold at that dose for about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  This is because psychiatric drugs create a physiological dependence, not physical like caffeine or nicotine.

I will tell you of my own experience trying to reduce my drug.  I was taking 100mg Pristiq and reduced by 1/2 to 50mg.  I experienced extreme cog fog for 3 weeks.  At the end of the 3 weeks I was unable to type.  Because I have been a typist for about 40 years or so I knew that something was wrong.  I had joined SA a few days before this happened and they had suggested updosing.  When I couldn't type I took extra Pristiq and about 4 hours later the cog fog was lifting and I was able to type again.  I knew it was because of the drug.  I have been following SA's tapering protocol and have managed to reduce from 100mg Pristiq to 12mg in that time.  I have only suffered minor withdrawal symptoms.

Tapering from 75mg using SA's tapering protocol would take about 3 years.  I found that as my drug dose got lower (somewhere between 50mg to 25mg) I started feeling more like my old self before taking an antidepressant.  Many members find that as their dose gets lower they need to go slower by reducing by less than 10% and/or holding for longer.

The only known way to reduce the withdrawal symptoms is to take the drug which your brain has adapted to.  Please read Post #1 of this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You didn't mention the dose which you were last taking.  Because you have only been off the drug since Saturday (4 days?) it would probably be okay for you to start taking the same dose that you last took.  Or you could try taking about 1/2 to 3/4 of the last dose you took.  It may take 2 or 3 months for things to stabilise and then you could do a slow taper.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please Keep Notes on Paper  so that we can see if reinstatement is working.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

We ask all members to create a drug signature.  This appears below every post you make.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  This is the preferred format which makes it easier for us to see your drug history at a glance:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

And some further information:

Patience is needed to get off these drugs.  We suggest throwing out the calendar and listening to your body and your symptoms.  If after 4 weeks you don't feel stable or life circumstances are a bit more stressful than usual (for example the Christmas period, winter time, or job change) it is better to stay at that dose for a bit longer until things settle down.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ  (the first post in this topic has links to tips for tapering specific drugs)

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms  Excel spreadsheets and pages to print off

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

Tapering Calculator - Online

It is best to make only 1 change at a time.  It is also better not to start taking a complex vitamin because if you experience issues you will not know what exactly is causing it.  B vitamins can be stimulating especially B6.  hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex  If trying anything new, start with a small amount to see how you react and build up to the recommended amount.  The only supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  Try a small amount one at a time to see how you react.

Even with a careful and slow taper you will most likely experience times of discomfort.  It is best to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

There are many existing topics and discussions on this site.  You can use the site search function on the main page of the site at the top right, or use a search engine and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search string.

Lots of information, but I really want you to have what you need so you can have a successful taper.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  We suggest that members visit each others Intro topics so that can support and encourage each other.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I have to get back to 18,75 them or a bit leds...that’s when most of the symptoms starten. My last steps were:

2/6/2018 to 18,75mg

2/13/2018 to 5mg

3/3/2018 to zero

Edited by ChessieCat
changed font size

Last steps:

2/6/2018 to 18,75mg

2/13/2018 to 5mg

3/3/2018 to zero

7/3/2018 to 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find that going back to 5mg is enough.

• Moderator Emeritus

Could you please reduce the font size of the text in your signature?  Thank you.

Maybe it's a pseudo-Restless Leg Syndrome (which can involve the arms as well) related to your withdrawal. Akathisia came first to mind but it's an all-day affair.

Did you have this problem at 5 mg?

April / 2016: Cipralex 10 mg, Mirtazapine 30 mg, Lyrica 600 mg, Diazepam 20 mg, Bystolic 5 mg

2018: Lots of polypharmacy which is undocumented here. Started and stopped several drugs and changed doses of existing ones

August / 2018: Back on track! Cipralex 15 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg, Diazepam 15 mg

September 2018: Cipralex 15 mg -> 12.5 mg

October 2018: Cipralex 12.5 mg -> 10 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg -> 3.75 mg -> Stopped, Diazepam 15 mg

November 2019: Cipralex 5 mg, Diazepam 10 mg

Yes also at 5mg. I’ve had restless legs syndrom before, with CFS. Feels like that only arms are new and it’s much worse. And the muscle weakness/shortness of breath starten with 5mg

Last steps:

2/6/2018 to 18,75mg

2/13/2018 to 5mg

3/3/2018 to zero

7/3/2018 to 5mg

'RESTFUL LEGS' AT WHOLE FOOD OR LIKE.  REALLY WORKS.  MUST TAKE PELLETS EVERY 5 OR 10 MINUTES UNTIL IT IS BETTER.  KEEP TAKING IT EVERY NIGHT BEFORE BED UNTIL YOU KNOW YOU HAVE IT STAMPED OUT.   IT YOU HAVE TO TAKE A QUARTER BOTTLE OR MORE THE FIRST NIGHT IT WON'T HURT YOU AT ALL. 

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ellvis, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.