SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

• Moderator Emeritus
22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Should I take a chance to lessen these horrible symptoms, or just plod stoically on in the hope that eventually this wave must end?

Unfortunately this is a decision that only you can make.  It would be great if someone could give you the answer knowing what will happen but nobody knows that.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. To recap, I’m four and a half months drug-free after a too-quick taper off 25mg Zoloft. Deep into a frightening and debilitating wave. Last night was the worst yet - lay for hours somewhere between sleep and wakefulness, engulfed by a sense of doom and despair. And today so far the worst yet - hard to believe anyone can feel this dreadful and stay alive. It’s so bad I think reinstatement is my only option as Alto and Chessie Cat advised. Alto, you suggested I ask the psychiatrist for some liquid Zoloft. Not easy - he is hard to approach outside appointments (very protective receptionist) and I can’t get another one for over 6 weeks. Is the liquid essential for tiny amounts, or is it possible for me to cut down these tiny amounts from the tablets? If yes, are there any techniques listed on the website? Thanks...

2002 - April - prescribed Zoloft 100mg. 2007 - began very slow taper. 2009 - down to 50mg. Dose raised back to 100mg due to anxiety provoked by stressful events. Continued on this dose until approx. 2016 then began another very slow taper. By approx January 2017 down to 25mg. 5 October 2017 - GP increased dose to 50mg. Suffered immediate and severe adverse reaction. Diagnosed with seretonin syndrome. Dose cut back to 25mg. Stayed on this until February 2018 - reduced to 20mg. 3 March - reduced to 15 mg. 10 March - increased to 17.5 mg to ease symptoms. 12 March - returned to 15 mg. Continued to taper down in approx 2 - 3 mg. increments. 1 June 2018 - ceased taking Zoloft altogether.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's possible to make a liquid from a tablet.  Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

If your tablets are 25mg you could dissolve one in 25mL of water.  Each 1mL of liquid would equal 1mg dose of Zoloft.

If you put 25mg tablet into 250mL of water each 10mL of liquid would equal 1mg dose of Zoloft.  To take 0.5mg Zoloft you would take 5mL liquid.

Be sure to do everything the same way each time and use the same equipment.  The liquid can be kept for several days in a covered container in the fridge.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks so much Chessie Cat...your support means a lot. Can I ask...did you ever feel despair during the worst times...really doubt that you actually could get through this?

2002 - April - prescribed Zoloft 100mg. 2007 - began very slow taper. 2009 - down to 50mg. Dose raised back to 100mg due to anxiety provoked by stressful events. Continued on this dose until approx. 2016 then began another very slow taper. By approx January 2017 down to 25mg. 5 October 2017 - GP increased dose to 50mg. Suffered immediate and severe adverse reaction. Diagnosed with seretonin syndrome. Dose cut back to 25mg. Stayed on this until February 2018 - reduced to 20mg. 3 March - reduced to 15 mg. 10 March - increased to 17.5 mg to ease symptoms. 12 March - returned to 15 mg. Continued to taper down in approx 2 - 3 mg. increments. 1 June 2018 - ceased taking Zoloft altogether.

• Moderator Emeritus

SA members report feeling many different emotions or lack of them and at various degrees for various lengths of time.  Understanding what is happening in your brain can help to take some of the fear away and help you to be kind and patient with yourself.  There are times when just getting through a day can be hard, and sometimes it's a case of getting through an hour at a time, and sometimes minute by minute.  It's helpful to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

There are many topics on this site.  I use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.  Searching despair brought up this:

neuro-emotions-deep-despair-dread-doom-horror

Check out the topics here:

finding-meaning

symptoms-and-self-care

Once again many thanks - these resources look very helpful.

• 2 months later...

Questions about exercise. 

Hi everyone. Last time I posted about how hard it was to decide whether to reinstate or not after 5 months drug-free. Eventually I did not, perhaps more as a result of dithering and uncertainty rather than because I made a firm decision. In any case I continued to tough it out and am now 7 months completely off Zoloft. I have had a few encouraging windows, the longest lasting 3 days, which I cling to like a talisman when the next wave hits. Mornings are generally pretty dreadful, but by evening I often feel quite well and normal, which provides a welcome respite.

Meanwhile I have many anxieties about my general health lurking in the back of my mind. A major worry is the consequences of complete lack of exercise - diabetes & cholesterol levels to name but two. I was relatively fit before the adverse reaction hit over a year ago, walking at least an hour every day. So yesterday  I ventured out for a walk, my first in many months. This morning I felt much worse than usual. Was this just coincidence?

So my questions are: is there any consensus about whether exercise makes symptoms worse? Are there any types of gentle exercise that people have found doable and beneficial? Finally, I’d be grateful if someone could direct me to any sections of the site specifically about exercise. 

Many thanks and kind regards, Scotty.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's really good that you are noticing improvements.  Not sure if you've seen this.  It's easier to give the link than to check through your posts.  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

And yes, strenuous exercise can increase withdrawal symptoms.  Alto always suggests a gentle half an hour of exercise.

exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

Many thanks for your response Chessie Cat...those references were really helpful. Much appreciated. 

Hope you didn't have much damage from the hailstorm - looked incredible!

Regards, Scotty.

Hi Scotty, 

To me, it sounds like you are having reactions to cortisol, you’re either making a lot or are more sensitive to it right now.  This also happened to me after going off an AD, it still does to some extent.  This is a very common thing. Cortisol also raises blood sugar, therefore more insulin, and it all feeds on each other.  I was very sensitive to exercise in those days.  

A supplement that that really helps me is phosphadidyl serine ( but others too). It is an essential part of cell membranes and their signaling processes, but also is a cortisol blocker in some way.  I don’t know if it is available in Australia.

i think the biggest help with cortisol issues is to keep a very regular schedule with very lowintensity, but regular, exercise, Alto has written extensively about this.  You’re trying to convince your brain that the world is indeed safe and predictable, despite recent chemical upheavals :)

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi Meimeiquest

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. What you said about cortisol and exercise makes a lot of sense to me, and I will certainly research it further...likewise the supplement you mentioned. I guess gentle walks would be the simplest form of low-intensity exercise, but I will search out Altostrata's recommendations on the site. Thanks again...your response was much appreciated.

Scotty.

• 1 month later...

Hello out there.

A bit of a miserable start to the new year for me, sadly.

I’m coming up to 8 months completely off Zoloft, and the first few weeks of 2019 were looking promising. I was sleeping better, and the dreaded anxiety - my most hated symptom - had almost disappeared. Even took the grandchildren to a movie - my first in 6 months. I’ve been feeling foolishly optimistic even chirpy during this window - picturing an imminent return to my old life free from this affliction.

Guess this annoyed the withdrawal gods because last Friday I was blindsided by a massive wave with symptoms more severe than I’ve ever experienced. A toxic combination of anxiety and akathisia which feels like a sort of alien possession....lasting all day and well into the evening which has usually been a respite of feeling reasonably normal. The anxiety is accompanied by a deep burning flushing which is also fearful.

I’ve experienced many waves and windows before, but nothing as severe as this. And the hopelessness that goes with it is hard to bear. Last year a psychiatrist told me that these symptoms could not possibly be connected to any withdrawal process because the ssri was long out of my system. I rejected this at the time of course, but now I’m hearing her voice in my head and thinking...maybe she was right. Maybe I do have ‘a severe anxiety disorder’. Maybe I should start again and seek alternative diagnoses. And another disturbing thought has entered the mix...I’m 70....perhaps just too old to recover?

Has anyone else experienced such a wave with their worst symptoms ever many months after stopping their ssri? I’d be most grateful for any comments, shared experiences or suggestions for hopeful self-talk. And if there are any other senior citizens out there struggling through this, I’d love to hear how you’re going.

Thanks and cheers...

Edited by ChessieCat
spacing

• Moderator Emeritus

It's not unusual.

It doesn’t end at “0”

Edited by ChessieCat

Thanks again Chessie Cat - really appreciate your response. I’ve read most of Brassmonkey’s fantastic post - not sure why this bit passed me by. About the most relevant info I could get and so helpful. Hope you’re travelling ok - cheers.

Hi Scotty, I just wanted to reach out as another fellow Aussie and Melbournian and tell you that even at 8 months off things can seem like they are getting worse as they did for me and many others that i know of. But its just the symptoms getting worse its a part of the healing process we are in fact getting better everyday even if it doesn't feel like it. You will see some improvements again soon especially if you were doing so well recently. Hopefully you're having a better day today. Best wishes, Hope

May 2014 - July 2015 0.5 Clonazapam (cold turkey off)

October 2014 - November 2014 took Beta Blocker Propranolol (fast taper off)

December 2014 - began 2.5mg Lexapro worked up to 30mg Lexapro over 3 months

December 2014 - 2 mg Valium started sometimes took up to 6 mg Valium

April 2015 - started 25mg Lamictal worked up to 100mg Lamictal

April 2015  - began taper 4mg Valium. Stopped Valium 

July 2015 - stopped crumb of 2mg Valium

September 2017 began taper 30mg Lexapro.

February 2018 last dose Lexapro 1.25mg

October 2020 - Began 10% taper of Lamictal Dec 2019. was going ok until tapered from 45mg - 40mg. 

September 2023 - on the 13th of September 2023 I took my last dose of Lamictal 0.1mg. Finally psych med free!!

Hi Hope. Thanks so much for reaching out and getting in touch with this fellow Melbournian. Don't know if this makes sense, but it's somehow consoling to have a fellow-sufferer in my own city. Most members of the forum are based overseas, and I've sometimes had the rather bleak thought that maybe I'm the only person in Melbourne going through this nightmare....which just serves to make my sense of isolation worse. What you said about the symptoms returning and the healing process was very helpful...I have to keep reminding myself of that. Not easy though. I guess all we've known before is a gradual  progressive recovery, from flu or any other normal illness - a bit better every day. So hard to get used to the highs and lows of this thing...one day a great window, calm, enjoying life...next day on the couch overwhelmed by anxiety. So thanks again. I wish you well for your journey...would love to get in touch again to share stories and experiences...it really helps. Cheers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Scotty, 

I’m sorry you had a bad wave recently. You’ve had good windows too, which shows that your body is healing. It’s certainly a rollercoaster ride🎢🎢🎢. We will all get there in the end, but it’s just a really slow process. One day at a time does it, Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hi Carmie. Many thanks indeed for your kind post - very much appreciated. As you say, it's a rollercoaster ride...sometimes hard not to panic in the midst of a bad wave, or to remember that the next window will inevitably open. I'm actually feeling a lot better tonight which is great - but I'll reread your encouraging words when the next wave comes. Thanks again and very best wishes for your recovery. Scotty.

• 1 month later...

For the past few weeks I’ve been suffering from a symptom which is strange mostly because of its timing!

I’m about 9 months completely off Zoloft, and by far the most difficult symptom to endure so far is what I call weird anxiety. Certainly never experienced anything like it in normal ie. pre-withdrawal life. I’m not sure whether it’s true akathisia as there’s no compulsion to move around - but it’s a poisonous evil feeling of dread or doom which seems to take over every cell in my body. I guess it’s the closest I’ll ever come to demonic possession! Often there are none of the physical signs normally associated with anxiety - raised heartbeat, shallow breathing and so on - I may seem outwardly quite calm.  What’s been unusual recently is that this hated symptom has started appearing at a regular time each morning - approximately 11am. It’s not linked to any external pressures or events. Often it lasts a couple of hours, sometimes longer. I guess the obvious reason is that now by fear and anticipation I’m pre-programming the thing I hate most....classical conditioning. 

I’ve tried a few techniques to make it lift off...the most effective is to induce really intense weeping (so easy in withdrawal ) - for example by playing hymns I loved as a child which now deeply move me. This somehow seems to shift the brain chemicals. The opposite - laughter - also helps....playing routines by Billy Connolly or Bill Bailey online. Also driving around singing along to boppy music, the cornier the better. Often however the thing will spontaneously lift and a sane even mood miraculously returns. It’s puzzling but fascinating too - how can the brain switch gear abruptly in that way? I so wish I could understand the neurological explanation, if such a thing exists. 

Has anyone else experienced a regular ‘scheduled’ symptom like this....and if so, did you find anything that helped to de-program it? Or did it simply fade out in time? Thanks and cheers....

• Moderator Emeritus

I moved your post to your Introduction topic so that it keeps your history in one place.

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

It doesn’t end at “0”

It might also be a cortisol spike:

waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-the-morning-cortisol-spike

or

neuro-emotions-deep-despair-dread-doom-horror

Thanks for that...I'm still not quite sure how the site works or where to best place things. Thanks also for the useful resources.

• Moderator Emeritus

SA works differently to most other forums.  Each member has an Introduction topic which is where they ask questions about their own situation and journal their progress.  This keeps the history in one place and it also becomes a case study for any medical professionals visiting the site.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2011 at 5:22 AM, Altostrata said:

MISSION OF SURVIVINGANTIDEPRESSANTS.ORG

Surviving Antidepressants is a site for peer support, documentation, and education of withdrawal symptoms and withdrawal syndrome caused by psychiatric drugs, specifically antidepressants.

The participants on this site have all experienced or are experiencing difficulty in withdrawal from psychiatric medications. We offer peer support to those who are similarly suffering, drawing from our personal experiences.

(No posting on this site should be construed as medical advice. For medical advice, consult a trusted medical caregiver.)

The personal stories on this site are documentation of an iatrogenic condition -- suffering caused by medical treatment -- that is almost always ignored, misdiagnosed, or denied by the medical establishment. Given the widespread prescription of antidepressants to tens of millions of people worldwide, withdrawal syndrome probably affects hundreds of thousands if not millions -- including newborns and children.

Antidepressant withdrawal syndrome can last weeks, months, or years. It can be distressing, debilitating, or even disabling. It may be adding to an increase in what is termed disabling mental illness.

With our documentation of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, we hope to educate the medical establishment about this problem. Case studies are essential; they are evidence understood by doctors, the psychiatric industry, and government regulatory agencies.

Our hope is, eventually, antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs will be prescribed rarely, and only in cases of extremely severe mental illness after less invasive treatments have been tried.

Please join Surviving Antidepressants in its mission to support, document, and educate about psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome.

Hello Scotty - since also having an adverse reaction to a med I once loved! I follow your thread to see how you are doing. 

I wanted to chime in about your “weird anxiety” I get some pretty strange symptoms too that really scare me so much ....and during my adverse reaction I also had Akathisia - 

i also am usually better in the evenings - 

i dont get symptoms at a certain time but I know others do- I’ve seen it an awful lot on here. 

I just  want you to know as I continue to taper I am rooting for you! I am always watching your posts and have faith! 

Also so the more I learn about serotonin receptors and actual serotonin, it makes sense why we have windows and waves - 

As your brain heals it has to repair and make new auto receptors and your med has basically pruned back these receptors to allow serotonin to sit in the brain longer - but the only way we make new receptors is when we have less serotonin - so you need those bad feelings to make new receptors! It’s crazy and it’s horrible but it’s true - fixing a brain takes a long time and a lot of work- but yours is doing just that! 

Stay hopeful! It’s easier said than done, but your not alone ❤️🙏 

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

56 minutes ago, Vonnegutjunky said:

As your brain heals it has to repair and make new auto receptors and your med has basically pruned back these receptors to allow serotonin to sit in the brain longer - but the only way we make new receptors is when we have less serotonin - so you need those bad feelings to make new receptors!

❤️🙏

I admit I don't understand this at all.   But then I can't comprehend how an airplane engine works either.   

Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg, Multi vit., Calcium, D3,  Magnesium, Fish Oil, Melatonin,  Ambien 3.3 mg 1 or 2X/mo.  Benadryl-seldom, .......2002 - eliminated alcohol

2002- Paxil - 20 mg (3 WD attempts: 2005, 2008, 2010)

2011 - 30 mg 

2018 - 40 mg- Sept to Nov} {Dec - 37.5}

Jan 2, 2019 - 35 mg

Jan 11 -  33.75 mg

Jan 28 - 32.5 mg

Feb 4 -  33.75 mg 

Mar 4 - 32 mg

Mar 30 - 30 mg

I didn’t understand it at all either Grace, but after reading more about auto receptors and post synaptic receptors it started to make sense. A little. 

What I have gathered, and this is a very basic elementary understanding, your auto receptors send the signal (somehow) for serotonin to be transported. 

it then somehow sends that serotonin to the cleft, where it sits...

well if the auto receptors keep feeling that there is enough or too much serotonin, some of them recognize that they are no longer  needed because  their neighbors are taking care of serotonin signaling...and so some of them either die off or sleep, I don’t know, but they don’t work and we will have less of them...

and new ones are not made until you actually start running low on serotonin, that’s when they are signaled again to make more serotonin...so they are awake and working and populating when the body (not sure exactly how this works) signals that the serotonin is low. 

So when the drug is removed your left with less receptors, and it takes a while for them to recognize the low serotonin and it takes time for them to repopulate....once a few pop up, it transports a little serotonin....and you get a window....but as soon as those few new ones transport, they are like, ok, we’re done cause there is only 10 of us when there should be 20 auto receptors signaling for serotonin( that’s an example I don’t know how many there are) ..so then you go back to your wave waitng for your body to wake those receptors  up and populate a little more.....

so they aren’t signaled until your serotonin is low. 

If im incorrect about the basic idea of this I encourage anyone to correct me, this is just from the little bit that I’ve read, and I’m reading with withdrawal and menopause brain.

ive looked at possibilities of supplements to help with auto receptor upregulation, I have read many ideas, but I’m too afraid to get worse so I’m not really willing to try anything but Berberine is one of the things I’ve been reading about lately to help with auto receptor upregluation....I won’t ever take it and I wouldn’t  suggest anyone take it, just reading more out of curiosity. 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

Blank.pdf

• Administrator

Interesting way of looking at it, VJ.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Interesting way of looking at it, VJ.

Do you think it’s in the realm of what’s happening? 

Blank.pdf

Hi Vonnegutjunky

Many thanks for your posts...it means a lot to know that there is someone on the other side of the world who is concerned about my plight. I will now follow your posts as well.

Thanks also for your detailed explanation of the neurological processes of recovery. I've tried to read and understand quite a bit of material on this but brain fog always gets in the way. Your account really did clarify it...and it helps to think that the worst symptoms may be part of the fertiliser for recovery.

Warmest best wishes to you for your successful taper.

Thanks Scotty. 

I have been doing some looking into fasting, and there is a lot of research into how good it is for the brain. I am going to try fasting during waves to see if I can calm them down at all. I know some people do a ketogenic diet and feel worse, but I’m going to try pure 24/48 hours fasts with intermittent fasting during waves. 

There is good research about the neuro protective factors for fasting, a rise in BNDF and serotonin after just 1 day of fasting and it will continue to rise. The reaearch to back up the sciences was done on people celebrating Ramadan. 

Also so if you search fasting in the group others have written and reasesrched it. 

Could be a a way to tame the waves a bit? At the very least I don’t think it will hurt any thing 

Blank.pdf

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Vonnegutjunky said:

Do you think it’s in the realm of what’s happening? 

Downregulation does occur because of the artificial serotonin situation. The nervous system and hormonal systems have sensors everywhere to send feedback to regulate neurotransmitter and hormonal release. This signaling controls upregulation, but I don't think anyone knows how long that takes. There's an assumption that the serotonin receptors upregulate within days, but I have been unable to find the source for this (if there is any). 

Drug effects are so widespread, all the other hormonal systems have adapted to the artificial homeostasis. When the drugs are removed, it's hard to say a window might occur simply because some receptors repopulated, so many other systems need to rebalance, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi VJ - I’m impressed that you’re embarking on a fasting program - quite a scientific experiment.  I tried it several years ago when the 5:2 diet was all the rage - I did lose some weight and felt better. Best of luck - I’ll be interested to hear how you go. Cheers.

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Downregulation does occur because of the artificial serotonin situation. The nervous system and hormonal systems have sensors everywhere to send feedback to regulate neurotransmitter and hormonal release. This signaling controls upregulation, but I don't think anyone knows how long that takes. There's an assumption that the serotonin receptors upregulate within days, but I have been unable to find the source for this (if there is any). 

Drug effects are so widespread, all the other hormonal systems have adapted to the artificial homeostasis. When the drugs are removed, it's hard to say a window might occur simply because some receptors repopulated, so many other systems need to rebalance, too.

I see - that makes sense - thanks for that clarification- I am thinking about it much too simply,  that’s for sure. 

Blank.pdf

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Hi VJ - I’m impressed that you’re embarking on a fasting program - quite a scientific experiment.  I tried it several years ago when the 5:2 diet was all the rage - I did lose some weight and felt better. Best of luck - I’ll be interested to hear how you go. Cheers.

I will let you know if this has any effect at all! I started yesterday and am so hungry today-  I was not/ am not in a real knock me down wave, so any positive effect may just be from a natural window - but this is just the beginning! So I will keep my thread up to date with results! 

Blank.pdf

Hi. I’ve just been prescribed fluconazole for a thrush infection. I’ve googled it of course, and discovered that it can interact with ssris. The warnings are aimed at people currently taking them - however I’m ten months off. Would it be risky for me to take the fluconazole at this stage? Grateful for any insights.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Scotty, 

Anything that can interact with the psych meds while you’re on them can still affect you while you’re going withdrawals, even if you’re no longer on the meds. I’ve heard of people who had been off the meds for ages and they drank one glass of alcohol which ended them straight back into withdrawals.

In the search section on the top of this page put in fluconazole and you’ll see other people’s experiences with it. 

Take care💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Many thanks for your reply and your advice Carmie. Looks like I'm best to avoid a medication I need.  It's scary to confront yet again the extent to which these drugs continue to affect our bodies months and years after we stopped taking them. 

I'll start researching natural methods of treating candida. Wonder if anyone out there has any suggestions!