Maybe

Tinnitus, another ear problem. What does all that noise mean?

RealMe
2 hours ago, Dalalea said:

Do you use the organic apple cider vinegar like Bragg's? I have some in my cabinet but haven't started using it.

I hope you can find relief!

Yes, Braggs is what I use.  I haven't noticed any difference, but I'll keep trying for a while.  I've never done anything with oils.  Don't know how to begin.

Remeron88

I believe that I acquired tinnitus as a result of going off my SSRI (zoloft) in late 2016.  It didn't occur until a few months later when I was drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. I had also reinstated my zoloft after 2 months of being off it completely. I believe going off it sensitized my serotonin receptors such that any serotonergic substance (e.g. caffeine and nicotine) set the tinnitus off and again worsened when I smoked/drank coffee again later.  I am also on 2 different serotonin antagonists, risperidone and mirtazapine, when combined with a full dose of zoloft may yield an excess of serotonin in my brain, leading to continual damage over time. 

I have cut out all serotonergic behavior except light exercise and occasional spicy food, yet my tinnitus continues to fluctuate, but has been on a downward trajectory, with the bad to good day ratio growing. 

I have ringing as well as beeping, and I am afraid the latter will soon keep me awake at night.  I am clueless as to whether to reduce my meds to reduce the serotonin in my system, which may indeed worsen my tinnitus rather than improve it.  I am really lost and scared and any advice or support is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Dalalea

I've used oils for lots of other things. I signed up as a distributor for Young Living oils simply so I can get them at a discount, because the good quality ones are more expensive. I don't concentrate on selling them. They have helped me with several other struggles and conditions. I use some to help with depression, allergies, and lots of other things. Recently, I started thinking I could use some of them for my WD symptoms. Now I'm trying to research what I could do to help with that. I was too foggy to have that idea earlier!

Remeron88

I believe that I acquired tinnitus as a result of going off my SSRI (zoloft) in late 2016.  It didn't occur until a few months later when I was drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. I had also reinstated my zoloft after 2 months of being off it completely. I believe going off it sensitized my serotonin receptors such that any serotonergic substance (e.g. caffeine and nicotine) set the tinnitus off and again worsened when I smoked/drank coffee again later.  I am also on 2 different serotonin antagonists, risperidone and mirtazapine, when combined with a full dose of zoloft may yield an excess of serotonin in my brain, leading to continual damage over time. 

I have cut out all serotonergic behavior except light exercise and occasional spicy food, yet my tinnitus continues to fluctuate, but has been on a downward trajectory, with the bad to good day ratio growing. 

I have ringing as well as beeping, and I am afraid the latter will soon keep me awake at night.  I am clueless as to whether to reduce my meds to reduce the serotonin in my system, which may indeed worsen my tinnitus rather than improve it.  I am really lost and scared and any advice or support is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Bobo32

a year since i stopped xanax and ascitalopram.

Still tinnitus dont go away.

Any supplements that help? 

Last blood check i found homocysteine very high in the 20s could it be the cause? Im thinking of supplementing with B vitamins in hope to lower homocysteine and maybe tinnitus will go away

RealMe
On 2/2/2018 at 6:28 PM, Remeron88 said:

Hi Remeron88,

I'm here for support.  Mine started with a brief period of Wellbutrin.  When the doctor updosed from 150 mg. to 300 mg., the tinnitus was immediate and profound.  That was in October.  I'm trying everything I can to help myself.  The most important things I've learned is that reacting emotionally will give it more power and that almost anyone can learn to habituate in time to the point where it stops bothering you.  I don't quite believe it, but I am trying to believe it.  I looked online for support groups and found one about 25 miles from me.  They meet again at the end of March.  Even though it's far, I plan to attend.  Fortunately, I have no trouble sleeping.  I have the opposite problem.  I dread waking up to the noise, so I sleep way too much.  My muscles are atrophying because exercise ramps up the noise.  I've found that tomatoes, truvia and salt ramp it up for me.  I read that Bragg's organic vinegar with the mother helps, so I am trying that (2 teaspoons in a glass of water 3 x a day ten minutes before meals).  I read about a form of meditation where you actually concentrate on the noise, and your mind learns to wander and minimize the importance of the tinnitus.

RealMe
On 2/1/2018 at 8:07 PM, Mimi11 said:

Hey RealMe,  the tinnitus still comes and goes. It seems worse when I'm tired or stressed I think. And it's honestly more of a head noise than ringing in the ear if that makes any sense at all. How are you doing?

Not so good today, Mimi11; but I have had a few windows.  Hoping tomorrow will be better.  Hope you are well.  What kind of WD symptoms are you having or hopefully not having anymore of?

Dalalea
On 2/2/2018 at 9:54 PM, Remeron88 said:

ringing as well as beeping, and I am afraid the latter will soon keep me awake at night.

I sleep best if I keep some sound going in the room from an app on my phone. I let it run all night and it helps me ignore the tinnitus. I hope you can find some relief!

WackoSirJacko

I've had tinnitus from 2011, it progressively gets worse as hearing degrades as I get older. Sometimes it gets bad and is even louder than the TV. It doesn't really matter whether it was caused by my paroxetine, more likely my djing.

What everyone with Tinnitus needs to do is - ACCEPT. Just like we have to with the withdrawal symptoms. 

There is no cure and it will go up. down, left, right, squeek, fizz, pop, change tone. But as soon as you stop fearing it, genuinely say in your mind that 'I accept this as part of me and I do not fear it', then it will then gradually cease to be a problem. It's horrendous as long as you fear it and make attempts to quieten, treat, pay attention or give it attention. Don't do anything, don't change diet, don't take anything to help it at all. Go out and enjoy music! Tinnitus, like any other mental issue is disabled by your front brain consciousness telling your subconscious that it isn't a problem. Once that message gets through, your brain WILL sort itself out and ignore it, it then becomes background noise that you pay no or very little attention to.

I see my time dealing with Tinnitus as good training for what I'm having to do now to get over this withdrawal. It's all very simply controlling emotions, fears, physical unpleasantness etc.

Honestly, once you get it, tinnitus becomes absolutely nothing to you in your life, no matter how loud or obtrusive it gets.

robcbar1

For you T sufferers, is it possible that the low dose Lamictal I am trying could be making it worse?  I've been taking 5 mg for about 30 days and my T has been increasing week by week.  Or is this just part of my current 3-month WD wave which will get worse before it gets better?   

JanCarol

Most of what I read about tinnitus talks about "drug induced" as the major cause.  

I have been off the drugs now for 2 years, so the toxicity should be gone.

I just posted on my thread about tinnitus, here:

4 minutes ago, JanCarol said:

Unrelenting Tinnitus

There are probably a number of contributing factors to my unrelenting tinnitus, which varies from high pitched tones (one in each ear, and a third one in between) and the sound of crickets,  including:

• an accident as a child which left me nerve damage in my ears - with more damage in my right ear than my left.
  • decades of drugs
  • decades of allergies and sinus troubles
  • heavy metal toxicity?
  • damage to my nervous system?
  • lithium toxicity - damage to liver and/or kidneys?
  • The ever increasing radio waves and EMF that are closing in on my nervous system.  It used to be that a town might have a few cell towers - now we all have smart meters that do stuff all the time, wifi in the house, bluetooth, devices, etc.
  • Noise pollution  

Thus far, I have been unable to tie it to events like stress or diet.

So when I went to Tasmania recently, I was dismayed to find that the tinnitus was unrelenting in a place where the EMF was better.  There were places where we got out of the car - and there was no sound.  No traffic.  Just the sound of birds.  And my unrelenting tinnitus.  So - maybe it's not about the EMF at home.

So - I'm always talking about being curious about symptoms.

I confess - this is one symptom that I prefer to distract from, to ignore.  How can I be curious?  It's always there.

Then I read this:  Psychology Today - Is Tinnitus Really God?

Now there's something to be curious about.

Some spiritual teachers see tinnitus as a message from The Greater Self (God, Angels, Spirits, whatever you want to call it) that the receiver is too stubborn to heed.  

There is that element of "ignoring," that I mentioned earlier.  One teacher suggested that the Greater Self is surrounding one tightly when there is tinnitus, that there are messages there, lessons, support, teachings.  Others suggest that our lives are so noisy, that we rarely get quiet enough to hear the Voice of God.  Native American teachings suggest that God is only heard in Silence (and that can be confirmed by other teachings, too, such as "The Still, Small Voice").

There are traditions which teach about this symptom as a spiritual call, a need to surrender (oh that's a hard one!), a need for stillness and retreat.

So I'm developing a relationship with my tinnitus.  I'm learning to be curious.  When do I notice it most?  Are there messages I need to heed?  How can I adapt to it, what is it asking of me?

I've been watching a video series by Michael A. Singer about how our mind is a dangerous place, a big bully, and how we tend to adjust outer things when our mind is bothering us, instead of learning about the inner things to address when our mind is bothering us.  The mind is an inner thing - and yet, we so often address it by looking at outer things (maybe I need to move, or this relationship or job isn't good for me, or maybe a pet would help, or maybe there's a supplement I should try, etc. etc.) - when the real solution lies in addressing the inner distress, not the outer situation.  I'm still learning on this one - but I'm looking at the tinnitus in a new light, with a new angle, a curious perspective.  I'm hoping that it will bring me to a place of compassion for myself, for my ears, for my head - and for those around me.  By having this conversation with my tinnitus, I hope to learn and grow.

This has not improved the tinnitus, and it is as unrelenting as ever.  So far, in the conversation, I haven't gotten any answers, but I will be patient and keep asking questions.

If anyone else gets into a conversation with their tinnitus, please share what you "hear" and come up with!

I'll try and keep y'all posted as well, but this is a process, not an event (and it may be months before my tinnitus engages with me!).

ikam

Yes, Jan, curiosity helps. My tinnitus is louder when I cannot deal with the outside related matters. It seems that this is my autonomous nervous system in a type of alert response, but I cannot get it out onto others... It turns inwards... 

So with me I do need to address outside rather than inner turmoil, or both... 

In the Gestalt theory, the anger that cannot be discharged outside, turns against oneself, this is called retroflection... 

Good luck with your approach... 

Ather

Vitamin B-Complex (Neurobion tablets) increases my tinnitus to at least 2X, any other person who faces the same ?

dj2010
3 hours ago, Ather said:

Vitamin B-Complex (Neurobion tablets) increases my tinnitus to at least 2X, any other person who faces the same ?

B vitamins are often not very well tolerated for people in withdrawal and most people find them stimulating, especially B vitamin complexes, just looked at the ones you are taking and they are quite strong ones, if wanting to take B vitamins best start with a single vitamin and not complex and work your way up from a very small dose,

Ather
On 7/18/2018 at 4:59 PM, dj2010 said:

B vitamins are often not very well tolerated for people in withdrawal and most people find them stimulating, especially B vitamin complexes, just looked at the ones you are taking and they are quite strong ones, if wanting to take B vitamins best start with a single vitamin and not complex and work your way up from a very small dose,

I took 1 neurobion tablet for 3 days in a row some 20 + days ago, it triggered my tinnitus and am still having it, at a lower rate though. 

bubbles

I have wondered, for a while now, if my tinnitus is related to my bruxism. I've been looking them up and they do seem to be related. I brux anyway, but SSRIs make it worse, and I believe that they can trigger bruxism for non-bruxers.

Altostrata
11 hours ago, bubbles said:

I have wondered, for a while now, if my tinnitus is related to my bruxism. I've been looking them up and they do seem to be related. I brux anyway, but SSRIs make it worse, and I believe that they can trigger bruxism for non-bruxers.

Yes, SSRIs can cause jaw clenching, as can withdrawal, and that tension is related to tinnitus and other symptoms, such as face and neck pain. Wearing a night guard on your teeth can be very helpful.

bubbles

I'm actually curious about the night guard @Altostrata as I have one. It's horrible. Massive. I had one, which I trashed with the bruxing - which was fine. After I wrecked that one, she made me this one which I hate. She said it was primarily to avoid dental damage, not to prevent the bruxing. She said occasionally there was a patient for whom they prevented the bruxing entirely, but that was not to be expected. It certainly didn't happen for me!

I wonder if the splint (night guard, I think they're the same thing) changes the effect on the muscles etc enough to prevent the headaches and muscle tension. Long before SSRIs I had tinnitus, but was unaware that I was bruxing until the dentist told me I was doing it.

I will ask her next time I see her, but for now my bruxing is so minor that I'm just ignoring it.

Altostrata

Yes, the night guard will keep you from cramping your jaw muscles as well. If you don't like the one you have, get another. We have people who have used the cheap ones from Amazon.

bubbles

I'll look into it. Thanks. It's so minor now that an Amazon one is probably all I need.

brassmonkey

Go to the local sporting good store and get a footballers or wrestlers mouth guard.  They only cost a few dollars and are very easy to fit at home. I used mine for years.

jonnypeters1234567

Does anyone suffer from this and had it diminish over time?

Its a loud vibrating noise, sounds like an engine

Its so loud it keeps me awake at night and wakes me up in the night..

Ather
On 8/4/2018 at 12:33 AM, jonnypeters1234567 said:

Does anyone suffer from this and had it diminish over time?

Its a loud vibrating noise, sounds like an engine

Its so loud it keeps me awake at night and wakes me up in the night..

Do you take any antidepressant ?

Ather
On 2/13/2012 at 5:19 AM, stillwithdrawing said:

I experienced constant ringing in my ears since starting to withdraw from benzos. It stuck around for about 1.5 years post-withdrawal. It was awful! It's completely gone now, thank god.

That's encouraging for me :)

Ather
On 4/30/2017 at 7:40 PM, ikam said:

Hopeful:

Does tinnitus ever go away?

Studies have indicated that, even without any ‘treatment’, the noises disappear or at least diminish in the majority of cases, as the brain loses interest in and stops surveying the signal. This process is called ‘habituation’ and it can take several months or years.

Tinnitus can become emotionally distressing in the initial period. This is commonly due to misconceptions as to the cause, prognosis and management of tinnitus.

There is also a general feeling of not being taken seriously by the medical profession. Many are told: ‘It is not serious, there is no cure, and you have to learn to live with it’. It can be argued that this is, to a certain extent true.

In most cases there is not a serious underlying medical condition and you will gradually learn to stop paying attention to the tinnitus noises, in the same way that you ignore all the other ‘predictable’ noises of daily life. Reaction to these sounds are more dependent on your frame of mind and reaction, than the actual sound itself.

Thanks for giving me hope :)

Here is a thing I want to share with you guys I feel the noise literally going up and down while I am walking, with every step it goes up and down, chemicals moving in the head ? This happens when I take notice of it. 

ikam

I had pulsatile tinnitus on walking. I try to ignore it, as it was bothering me so much. I had my ears checked, everything OK, so I try to disconnect from The noise 

Ather

I woke up around 2:30 am and the ring was quite high, I have one blocked nostril, so I started to blew it with full pressure, after 10 - 20 strong blows I noticed that the ring went down substantially, then I boiled some water and added Vicks balm to it and took that hot steam through my mouth and through my nose now I feel a lot better Ma-Sha-Allah, what do you guys say about this ?

I just found out:

https://www.verywellmind.com/it-might-not-be-the-flu-1065528

discreteUser

Hey all,

I think I've got my T onset with Zoloft. I am wondering if this side-effect is just persistent and the sound may fade out after enough time of withdrawal. Can you share your experiences?

NiteOwl49

Hello 'discreteUser.'  I have tinnitus from stopping clonazepam (Klonopin) 3 years ago.  It is a steady hissing sound known as "cicada."  It hasn't worsened.  In fact, it lessened over time.  There are many drugs that cause it.  The brain eventually gets used to it.  It's best to see an ear-nose-throat (ENT) doctor and have a hearing test.  May ease your concern.

Edited by ChessieCat
font size

discreteUser

Hey! Nice to hear that your T has lessened! 

The brain eventually gets used to it.

I am familiar with habituation, but do you think the brain can recovery itself to the point that the sound fades away, not just our perception from getting used?

It's so hard to decide if I should keep the drug or start tappering off: right now, my OCD is kinda severe and I do need to control it, but I am not up to pay the price of any persistent or permanent increase in T.

Edited by ChessieCat
font size in quote

discreteUser

Are success stories of this symptom that rare? 🙁

discreteUser

I think it's worth mentioning that there are some tinnitus treatments coming to the market in the next years. You can see more about them on the TinnitusTalk forum or then in this reddit sub: https://www.reddit.com/r/tinnitusresearch/

VincentV

I have tinnitus from my first Sertraline /Zoloft withdrawal. It's never fully gone a way, but the good news is I habituated to it and some days struggle to pick out the sound. The vast majority of the time, 98% or so it doesn't bother me, even in really quiet rooms. That really is they key with tinnitus, you just get used to it. 

yviroundtheworld

I have this very lightly, never had it before. It's not strong, not everyday but it happens suddenly during the day for a few minutes. I hope it will stop and not get stronger. 

icequeen

If you haven't noticed any hearing loss, don't worry about the tinnitus yet!  Mine got slightly better a few years ago but then got worse again  and unfortunately it has now caused right ear deafness and impaired hearing on my left ear. I now have to use hearing aids in both ears. Thank you very much GSK and  Pfizer! 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3357564/

Wellbutrinsucks

I had ringing in my ears occasionally, but now it’s becoming more and more frequent. Should I be worried? Is this gonna become permanent? I’m only 27 (almost 28) and I can’t believe all this stuff is happening to me right now. My other symptoms have also gotten worse. Will I ever see a window? I’ve been in a straight wave for 9 months. I just want to cry.