SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Mare: I have not taken any Duloxetine for past two weeks

Mare

I was put on 120 mg of Duloxetine to help me with my Fibromyalgia. It worked wonderfully. Back in November I was working out and burning 600 calories at the gym each day. Then I caught a cold. If I don’t take my Duloxetine before 10am I am unable to sleep that night. My body does not tolerate sleeping meds. So I don’t take Duloxetine after 10 am. I tried to take it daily but kept missing doses due to feeling miserable and not being able to wake up. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well and sleep about 16-20 hours a day. I also suffer from Meniere’s Disease - bi-lateral hearing loss, dizziness, nausea, and vertigo. I went to see my medical doctor due to feeling like I was dying. Diarrhea 3-6 times a day, not being able to get out of bed, feeling like I am going to faint if I push myself, and actually fainting a couple of times. constant dizziness, vertigo if I move too much, joint aches and pain. She believes it is due to withdrawal from Duloxetine. She wants me to restart it. Now that I am two weeks into total abstinence, I am afraid to restart because I have done so poorly at being able to take it, in spite of my best efforts. I met with doctor that has been giving it to me for the past year and she wants me to start taking it again regularly and will give me 30 mg pills to start me out gently but then wants me to go back up to 120mg daily. After four months of feeling horrible I am afraid to go through withdrawal again yet can’t always take it. I also can’t read through this whole site as my symptoms are horrible right now and have been since January. If you were me, what would you do? Should I tough it out and keep going cold turkey or should I go back on it and risk accidental withdrawal again.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mare: I have not taken any Duloxetine for past two weeks

I was put on duloxetine 3-4 years ago for Fibromyalgia. Due to illnesses I have failed to take it as prescribed. Back in November I caught a cold and was so fatigued I could not even reach my pills or water on my nightstand. I was unable o take my pills consistently. I continued to feel like garbage. I finally seen a doctor. She says I am in withdrawal from Duloxetine and wants me to go back on it. I have not taken it for two weeks. I feel very sick: extreme fatigue, nausea, dizziness, feeling like I am going to faint when I try to do anything, occasional vertigo and syncope. Now that I am experiencing all this I am afraid to go back on it because I am not capable of taking it daily and am afraid of withdrawals. What would you do, if you were me?

• Administrator

Welcome, Mare.

You have classic withdrawal symptoms from going off duloxetine. If they have not decreased in intensity over the last 2 weeks, you have severe withdrawal syndrome.

If I were you, I'd immediately take a partial dose. How much were you taking? If it was 20mg, I might try 5mg. Withdrawal syndrome makes your nervous system hypersensitive and you might react badly to a full dose.

This topic explains how to take a small dose of duloxetine Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Is it your intention to go off it eventually?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My symptoms have decreased a lot over the past two weeks. I am now able to stay awake most of the day, I am able to sleep through the night again, I am able to tolerate getting out of bed during the day, going up and down stairs. I still struggle with extreme dizziness, nausea, and feeling like I am going to faint. It is my intention to safely stop duloxetine, if at all possible.

I only have 60 mg capsules, I broke one open and there are too many pellets for me to count when I am not  dizzy and impossible to count when I experience extreme dizzy spells. It is my intention to go of duloxetine, as I am unable to reliably comply with taking it. I eat a 95% organic vegetarian diet, I don’t drink or do drugs and generally live a healthy lifestyle in spite of Fibromyalgia. 

I greatly appreciate your input. I hope I have answered your questions. I am so dizzy right now.

• Administrator

It's good your withdrawal symptoms are lessening. You might take 10 beads from the capsule every day at the same time for a while, this might make the symptoms go away.

Please let us know how you're doing.

After they go away and you're feeling stable, you might taper off by one bead every week or two.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I can count out ten beads. I will try that tomorrow morning. Thank you so much for your response. I am so grateful to you and this  site. 💐😃💐