LostWaves: Few questions about Risperidone

LostWaves

I've updated my signature to show the general understanding of what's going on with me. I was on antipsychotics for a week prior to August 14, but I believe I was given varying dosages during that time. Additional information is in my previous post, if needed.

Summary: I went to the hospital because I was hearing voices. The voices came immediately after smoking weed. Me and Doc both think weed played a major factor with causing the visit. I've felt recovered for weeks. I plan on taking 1 mg of Risperidone, then taking .5 mg of Risperidone to taper off. I'm being prescribed the 1mg, and I have .5 mg pills leftover, from when I was prescribed them months ago. I'm currently being monitored while taking the pills, but I can still hide them and spit them out after.

Mainly what I'm wondering is: Should I take 1 mg risperidone for two weeks, then .5 mg for two weeks; or should I take 1 mg for a month, and then .5 mg for two weeks? I only have enough .5 mg pills to last me a little more than two weeks.

I remember having 'small movements,' two to three months after my rapid taper last time, and I'd rather prevent that if possible this time. However, last time I was on antipsychotics for two and a half months when I decided to taper (for two weeks on 1mg risperidone). Also, for almost two of those months, I had been on 4 mg risperidone with no change in dosage (which might have built a stronger dependency). This time, I've been on antipsychotics for one month and one week in total. Also, I was never on any single dosage for an entire month. The longest dosage I stayed with was the 3.3 mg of Haldol, for two weeks and two days. In truth, it should probably be even shorter than that, because half the injection was given four to five days earlier, I believe. So again, I'm asking you: Should I take 1 mg for two weeks, then .5 mg for two weeks; or should I take 1 mg for a month, and then .5 mg for two weeks?

Risperidone, 10 MG-1 MG. Stopped at 1MG. Dec 2017-Mar 2018.

Had slight dyskinesia or dystonia 3 mo later.

Haldol injection, unknown dose. Early August 2018. 1 mo.

Risperidone 1MG two weeks Sept 2018.

Risperidone .5MG two weeks Sept 2018. No Withdrawal.

Ziprasidone 40 MG late Oct 2019. ~8 days. No withdrawal.

Paliperidone injection, unknown dose. Early January 2020. 1 mo. Mild sleeping withdrawal?

Risperidone 3-4MG Mar 2-9 2020. Intense insomnia withdrawal. Risperidone 4-3 MG Mar 27-31 2020.

Aripiprazole 10MG April 8-May 18 2020. Aripiprazole 7.5MG May 19 2020-May 26 2020.

Risperidone 1MG May 27 2020-Now.

Finasteride 1.25 MG, Minocycline 100MG

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LostWaves

• Altostrata

• Shep

• inextinguishableconfidence

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lost Waves,

"Past performance is not an indicator of future success"  I want nothing but success for you in getting off risperidone but your plan is concerning since it is a rapid taper.  Even though you have been on it for a short time, it is not an indicator that it will be 'easy to come off.'  Nor is it guaranteed that your withdrawal pattern will be the same as last time.  Systems can get sensitized from going on and off of medication.  Do you have a  plan if you have unbearable withdrawal symptoms (inclucing rebound psychosis)?  Can you ask to switch to liquid and then if something goes awry you can taper more slowly?  You pdoc doens't need to know you are lowering from 1mg if you move to a liquid.  Of course i am not a doctor nor am I a mod. So maybe they have better/different advice. I am just a concerned supporter who wants you to succeed....please be careful and take the time you need to come off this drug safely.  Glosmom 

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

Glosmom,

I don't think I'll be able to go on liquid. Also, I stated that the Doc and I both strongly believe the Cannabis played a major factor in my problem. As long as I avoid that, I shouldn't have to worry about psychosis.

Paliperidone injection, unknown dose. Early January 2020. 1 mo. Mild sleeping withdrawal?

Risperidone 3-4MG Mar 2-9 2020. Intense insomnia withdrawal. Risperidone 4-3 MG Mar 27-31 2020.

Aripiprazole 10MG April 8-May 18 2020. Aripiprazole 7.5MG May 19 2020-May 26 2020.

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, LostWaves said:

Mainly what I'm wondering is: Should I take 1 mg risperidone for two weeks, then .5 mg for two weeks; or should I take 1 mg for a month, and then .5 mg for two weeks? I only have enough .5 mg pills to last me a little more than two weeks.

Short answer: probably not. 

Please read Shep's post (second post on page 1 of this thread) on why 10% (of current dosage) is best. 

You've been on R for several months now. 

The main question here is, why hurry? If you're wanting to be off it ASAP, that's definitely understandable. We all do!! But that's not the way safe tapering works. 

If you're having trouble w/access to refills, that is another problem. Is that the case?

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

SkyBlue, I was on risperidone for three months in total, and that was as of March. I'm on risperidone again right now, and that's only been for a few days. I stated already that I have a limited amount of .5 mg pills, from when I was prescribed them months ago. That doctor is not going to give me .5mg pills now, after I've already been put on 1 mg.

I have read the thread on tapering by 10%. I understand that the 10% is a guideline to minimize harm, because doctors allegedly advise tapers that are too fast. However, I also read that if you have minor, or no withdrawal symptoms, from tapering, then you may taper at a faster rate.

My psychiatrist at the time, reduced the dosage by 50%, twice. In the second instance, she reduced my dosage after only two weeks of being on the previous dosage. I never had any adverse reactions to either of the dosage changes. I also went off the drug completely, after taking my lowest dose (1mg) for two weeks. After two and a half months, I started having a minor symptom.

When I tapered last time, Shep himself had told me that I could 'get away with a much more rapid taper.' He also spoke to another moderator, and they both agreed that I shouldn't reinstate, even though my taper was considered rapid to an extent. Even when I started reporting my minor symptom, months later, Shep still said that it would be better for me to wait it out, rather than reinstate.

Considering the fact that Shep said that I could get away with an even more rapid taper, and also considering the fact that I'm doing a more gradual taper this time, I don't understand why either of you are reacting the way you are.

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, LostWaves said:

Considering the fact that Shep said that I could get away with an even more rapid taper, and also considering the fact that I'm doing a more gradual taper this time, I don't understand why either of you are reacting the way you are.

You asked for help and this was my suggestion. I encourage you to proceed as you see fit.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

Everyone has to find their own way. No judgement here..... only support for you to be able to get off successfully. Wishing you the best!

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I was on 1mg risperidone for two weeks, and in a few days, I will have been on .5 mg for two weeks. I then plan on taking .25mg for two weeks. However, I only have enough .25 mg pills to last me eight days, so I tried cutting my leftover .5mg pills, to cover the last six days.

fohk4m.jpg

Unfortunately, I wasn't precise.

I'm wondering if I should:

A. Take six of these pills, for the last six days of my .25 mg taper. These were originally .5 mg pills, and a whole .5mg pill is shown at the left for reference. Please specify which pills, if so.

B. Take .25mg for one week, and do not taper the following week (this is if the difference in pill sizes is enough to have a negative effect on the taper).

C. Do not take the .25mg at all, and simply stop tapering after .5mg (this is if the pill size differences would have a negative effect, and if you believe one week for a taper is not a good idea for my particular situation [Reminder: Surviving Antidepressants actually says some people can taper, by staying on a dose for only a week.])

Any help is appreciated (but please explain your rationale).

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

• Moderator Emeritus

I've let the mods know that you need assistance.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/10/2018 at 11:31 PM, LostWaves said:

My current psychiatrist thinks both of my episodes may have been caused by Cannabis use.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:52 PM, LostWaves said:

Summary: I went to the hospital because I was hearing voices. The voices came immediately after smoking weed. Me and Doc both think weed played a major factor with causing the visit. I've felt recovered for weeks.

LostWaves, have you stopped using weed? When you first came to the site back in March, you were completely off the antipsychotic and were not having any withdrawal symptoms. 

Whether or not you will need to continue with psychiatric drugs is contingent on whether or not you are able to stay away from marijuana and considering how this affects you, I would avoid all recreational drugs and even alcohol until you are completely healed. 

You have now been on antispychotics in either an injection and / or pill form for nearly 3 months. You may be dependent on them at this point, so a rapid taper may not be in your best interest. 

Before giving tapering advice, we need a drug and symptoms journal. Please use this format:

Drug and Symptoms Journal

Please also include:

• any supplements you are taking
  • when you eat
  • how much sleep you are getting each night

Once you have a few days of your symptoms journal, we will be better able to guide you off.

On 10/8/2018 at 6:54 PM, LostWaves said:

[Reminder: Surviving Antidepressants actually says some people can taper, by staying on a dose for only a week.])

Any help is appreciated (but please explain your rationale).

You may need to get another prescription and prepare for a longer taper,  depending on the severity of your symptoms.  Please note, my previous advice to you regarding a rapid taper was back in March after your first short time on an AP and having zero withdrawal symptoms.  That may not be the case now, so you may be looking at holding until you are more stable to taper. 

Also, from the picture you posted, the way you are cutting your pills is giving you very uneven dosing. Please see:

How to cut up tablets or pills

Thank you, ChessieCat.

And Shep, my supplements are listed in my signature. 

Finasteride 1.25 mg (hair growth, no interaction), Fexofenadine HCI 180 mg (allergy pill), Amoxicillin 875 mg (skin care).
I believe that I eat at around 11 AM to 12 PM, then again around 4 PM, then again around 7-8 PM, and also around 11PM-12 AM.
I believe I sleep from 8-10 hours every night.

My sleeping, eating, and supplements have been this way for at least two weeks now.
I have no symptoms, aside from what I believe to be minor movements, which I believe might have been caused by Haldol (I feel like it started in the hospital), and which I am going to see my Psychiatrist about soon.

I have stopped using Cannabis.

Shep, the last time you advised a rapid taper, which you said I could get away with a much more rapid taper, I had been on antipsychotics for three months in total. I have now been on antipsychotics for 2 months and 2 weeks, and for the past three weeks, I've been on lower doses than I ever have been before. Also, I previously had issues with small movements, and you had told me to just wait it out, instead of reinstating. Seeing how I've been on antipsychotics for a shorter amount of time than last time, and since I've been gradually tapering during this time, I would imagine that I should be fine. Obviously you're allowed to disagree, but I want to make sure all the details are out there.

Also, Shep, would recommend me not using those uneven pills for my last six days of tapering? I've taken .25 mg pills of Risperidone for the last 8 days. I cannot get the prescription refilled. I would imagine that I would be fine if I stopped now, considering I've been on antipsychotics for a shorter amount of time than last time, and I've spent the last five weeks tapering (compared to two weeks last time).

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, LostWaves said:

And Shep, my supplements are listed in my signature. 

Finasteride 1.25 mg (hair growth, no interaction), Fexofenadine HCI 180 mg (allergy pill), Amoxicillin 875 mg (skin care).

LostWaves, these aren't supplements. Finasteride (Propecia) and amoxicillin are prescription drugs. And fexofenadine (Allegra) is an OTC drug.

Supplements are vitamins such as vitamin B12.

Shep, the last time you advised a rapid taper, which you said I could get away with a much more rapid taper, I had been on antipsychotics for three months in total. I have now been on antipsychotics for 2 months and 2 weeks, and for the past three weeks, I've been on lower doses than I ever have been before. Also, I previously had issues with small movements, and you had told me to just wait it out, instead of reinstating. Seeing how I've been on antipsychotics for a shorter amount of time than last time, and since I've been gradually tapering during this time, I would imagine that I should be fine. Obviously you're allowed to disagree, but I want to make sure all the details are out there.

You may be fine with a rapid taper. And you may not be. There's no way for anyone to know for sure.

From About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This applies to tapering too quickly: 

On 10/8/2012 at 7:17 PM, Altostrata said:

Don't suddenly go off medication assuming that reinstatement is a safety net. This is one of the reasons we advocate gradual tapering to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Once the nervous system is destabilized by withdrawal, all bets are off Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall.

In the past 11 months, you have been on antipsychotics for 5.5 months. Your nervous system may be kindled now. For more on kindling, see:

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

Also, Shep, would recommend me not using those uneven pills for my last six days of tapering? I've taken .25 mg pills of Risperidone for the last 8 days. I cannot get the prescription refilled. I would imagine that I would be fine if I stopped now, considering I've been on antipsychotics for a shorter amount of time than last time, and I've spent the last five weeks tapering (compared to two weeks last time).

If you are going to continue to rapid taper off, it probably doesn't matter that your pills are uneven. If you decide to stay on a low dose of Risperidone and do a slow taper, than you'll want to get a scale or learn how to do a liquid titration. 

Hopefully, you will continue doing well with only minor symptoms. 

At this point, LW, you'll have to decide which way to go. You have the information you need should you decide to taper longer. If not, these are great skills to develop should you need them:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

• 1 year later...

Anxiety from withdrawal, or something else?

Hi. I was on Risperidone 3 MG from 3/3-3/4, then 4MG to 3/5-3/8, then 2MG on 3/9. I then went off completely, from 3/10-3/27. In the days that I went off, I noticed the effects of the Risperidone fade away, but I still felt this anxiety. I still feel this anxiety to this day. At the time, I thought it was a lingering effect of the Risperidone that hadn't yet faded away. Sometimes I think that I simply hadn't waited long enough for the effects of the Risperidone to fade, and other times, I think its prolonged withdrawal syndrome. However, I think I read that in the case of prolonged withdrawal syndrome (is it the same as post acute withdrawal syndrome?), the symptoms take a few weeks to appear. It feels like the anxiety was just much more intense when I was on the Risperidone, and as I stopped taking it, it just simply got weaker, but never left. 

I'm on Aripiprazole 7.5 MG right now, was on 10MG before last week. I know Geodon had given me anxiety in the past, and I've read that Aripiprazole can cause anxiety, so sometimes I really think the anxiety has constantly been coming from the drugs. However, I've been on a lower dose of Aripiprazole as of 5/19, and I'm wondering if I should have noticed the change in dose by now. I worry that if this is enough time to have noticed a change, then my anxiety may not be caused by the Aripiprazole.

Bottom line:

1. Is this prolonged withdrawal syndrome?

2. Is this post acute withdrawal syndrome?

3. Is this enough time for me to have noticed a change in my Aripiprazole dosage?

4. Will taking Risperidone at a lower dose help at all?

5. If no to the first 2, what is causing my anxiety?

Any help to any of the questions is immensely appreciated.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Bump

• Administrator

Hello, LostWaves.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:01 PM, LostWaves said:

Hi. I was on Risperidone 3 MG from 3/3-3/4, then 4MG to 3/5-3/8, then 2MG on 3/9. I then went off completely, from 3/10-3/27.

Did this happen this year? Why were you taking risperidone?

On 5/25/2020 at 6:01 PM, LostWaves said:

I'm on Aripiprazole 7.5 MG right now, was on 10MG before last week. I know Geodon had given me anxiety in the past, and I've read that Aripiprazole can cause anxiety, so sometimes I really think the anxiety has constantly been coming from the drugs. However, I've been on a lower dose of Aripiprazole as of 5/19, and I'm wondering if I should have noticed the change in dose by now. I worry that if this is enough time to have noticed a change, then my anxiety may not be caused by the Aripiprazole.

When did you start aripiprazole, and why?

As Shep explained in 2018, going on and off psychotropics can cause your nervous system to become sensitized, with kindling potentially an adverse reaction from additional drugs. It's very possible your nervous system is not reacting to drugs, such as aripiprazole, the same way now that it did years ago.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

47 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, LostWaves.

Did this happen this year? Why were you taking risperidone?

When did you start aripiprazole, and why?

As Shep explained in 2018, going on and off psychotropics can cause your nervous system to become sensitized, with kindling potentially an adverse reaction from additional drugs. It's very possible your nervous system is not reacting to drugs, such as aripiprazole, the same way now that it did years ago.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Yes, that happened this year. I was taking Risperidone because I was in the hospital. I was having a mild psychotic episode from using Cannabis.

I started Aripiprazole on April 8, 2020, because I chose to go back on medicine, for fear of withdrawal landing me in the hospital. I switched to Aripiprazole because the fear of going back on Risperidone 4 MG was making me suicidal.

I have updated my signature. This is my first time taking Aripiprazole. Are you saying the Aripiprazole is causing my anxiety? I still felt the anxiety while I was on the Risperidone, and still did for the 17 days that I went off of it. I suppose that I was still feeling the effects of Risperidone in those 17 days, before being put back on antipsychotics (which could have caused additional anxiety), but is this the stance that you are taking, or do you mean something else?

After the 17 days, I took Risperidone 4-3 MG from Mar 28- Mar 31, and then 4 MG from April 5-6. I know I felt some effects from taking it Mar 28-31.

Edited by LostWaves
Added few details

• Administrator

I don't know what is causing your anxiety, I don't have enough information.

But if your goal is to find a drug to take, that's not what we do here. This is a site for going off drugs.

If you're having an adverse reaction to whatever you're taking, you need to talk to your doctor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 5/27/2020 at 2:33 AM, Altostrata said:

I don't know what is causing your anxiety, I don't have enough information.

But if your goal is to find a drug to take, that's not what we do here. This is a site for going off drugs.

If you're having an adverse reaction to whatever you're taking, you need to talk to your doctor.

What information do you need?

I was talking about reinstating to potentially reduce a symptom. I dislike drugs just as much as the rest of you, but I'd rather feel relief from withdrawal first (if that is what I'm experiencing). Shep talked about reinstating in this thread, and I've read in another thread about reinstating, so I thought it would be okay for me to ask questions about it.

I've read on here that doctors don't believe in antipsychotic withdrawal, and I know for a fact that mine doesn't believe in Risperidone withdrawal. Moreover, his answer is to simply put me on Lexapro, and I really don't want to do that.

I'm sorry if I'm being difficult, but I'm begging for you to help me. I really want to figure this out. Let me try to be more clear.

I went on Risperidone (3-4MG) in March for auditory hallucinations and insomnia. I stopped taking it, and as time went on, the more intense effects of the Risperidone wore off, but I still felt this anxiety. I still feel this anxiety now.

I had been off of it for 17 days at one point, and I still was feeling the anxiety.

I was thinking that either a) I hadn't waited long enough for the effects of Risperidone to wear off, before going back on anxiety inducing medication; or b) I'm experiencing prolonged withdrawal syndrome.

If anyone thinks there's a third answer, I'm also willing to hear that. If anyone could provide any help, I would be immensely grateful.

• Administrator

How do you feel the anxiety? Is the anxiety stronger at any particular times of day? What effects do you feel from risperidone? What times of day do you take it? Are you taking any other drugs?

30 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

How do you feel the anxiety? Is the anxiety stronger at any particular times of day? What effects do you feel from risperidone? What times of day do you take it? Are you taking any other drugs?

I believe I feel the anxiety as a worrisome feeling in my torso area. It is not stronger at particular times of the day. I feel that it's possible that my emotions are also a little muted, but if they are, it has been happening for as long as the anxiety. I take it at 9:30 PM every night. I am taking Minocycline and Finasteride, but I was taking those before I started having this problem.

Thank you so much for responding.

Edited by LostWaves
Added time

• Administrator

What is the "worrisome feeling"? Pain? Tingling? Pressure?

ALL OF YOUR DRUGS may contribute to an adverse reaction to a new drug. It doesn't matter if you've taken them before without a problem. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

You should also look up the adverse effects of each of your drugs on drugs.com and consider whether you are feeling any of them.

Hi LostWaves, I just wanted to say that I read this thread, and I was very impressed with your progress. I can tell the marijuana set you back a lot. Also having an abusive family is not a great start to life either. I've been through both these issues. I think we both have sensitive brains, and thank you for reminding me how dangerous any drug can be to my mental health. I will continue to avoid them, and I hope you can stay away as well. I can tell you are bright and outgoing. I want you to succeed. I believe you can, and with our guidance hopefully better outcomes can be had. Your path may be different from others, so is mine and everyone else's on this site. I just noticed some similarities and I had to give compliments and reassurances where they were due. All the best and take care. Hope to hear more positive news again soon, LW.

Risperidone 2mg 2007-2013

Abilify 10mg 2013-2017

Multiple Rx's 2017-2019

Loxapine 100mg, trazadone 100mg, atomoxetine 40mg, lorazepam 1mg 2019 CT 2020

Loxapine slow taper to 0mg May 2022

No meds May-October 2022 and

January-August 2023 in Europe
Currently: 200mg clopixol biweekly

Working to reduce to 150 w/ doc 

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

What is the "worrisome feeling"? Pain? Tingling? Pressure?

ALL OF YOUR DRUGS may contribute to an adverse reaction to a new drug. It doesn't matter if you've taken them before without a problem. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

You should also look up the adverse effects of each of your drugs on drugs.com and consider whether you are feeling any of them.

I feel that it may be pressure.

"No interactions were found between your selected drugs. This does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider."

Also, I looked up the side effects the drugs, and the only one that fits is anxiety from Risperidone. Moreover, I've read from testimonials, and have been told by a therapist that Risperidone numbs your emotions. Like I said before, I believe it's possible that I may be feeling that to some degree.

1 hour ago, inextinguishableconfidence said:

Hi LostWaves, I just wanted to say that I read this thread, and I was very impressed with your progress. I can tell the marijuana set you back a lot. Also having an abusive family is not a great start to life either. I've been through both these issues. I think we both have sensitive brains, and thank you for reminding me how dangerous any drug can be to my mental health. I will continue to avoid them, and I hope you can stay away as well. I can tell you are bright and outgoing. I want you to succeed. I believe you can, and with our guidance hopefully better outcomes can be had. Your path may be different from others, so is mine and everyone else's on this site. I just noticed some similarities and I had to give compliments and reassurances where they were due. All the best and take care. Hope to hear more positive news again soon, LW.

Cannabis use raises your chances of having psychosis, and can also cause you to develop Schizophrenia. As hard as it is, I'm afraid I'm going to have to swear off of it for life.

Thank you for your support. I hope you are able to have a positive outcome as well.

• Administrator

What times of day do you take risperidone? How do you feel before and afterwards?

The pressure in your midriff, could it be indigestion?

6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What times of day do you take risperidone? How do you feel before and afterwards?

The pressure in your midriff, could it be indigestion?

I take it at 9:30 PM every night. I don't notice any difference in how I feel, before and after I take it.

I don't think I'm experiencing indigestion. I actually feel like I'm more worrisome.

Edited by LostWaves

• Administrator

Is this feeling better or worse after you take each of your other drugs, which should added to your signature?

When did this feeling first appear? Is this feeling what you have been trying to treat since December 2017? Do you sit at the computer a lot?

How is your sleep?

3 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Is this feeling better or worse after you take each of your other drugs, which should added to your signature?

When did this feeling first appear? Is this feeling what you have been trying to treat since December 2017? Do you sit at the computer a lot?

How is your sleep?

I don't notice any difference in how I feel, before and after I take the drugs.

This feeling first appeared in early March of this year. This is not the feeling I have been trying to treat since December 2017. I hardly sit at the computer at all.

My sleep is good.

• Administrator

What I see in early March is a higher dosage of risperidone. Could be this feeling is related to that.

If it's drug-related, this does not sound like a very serious adverse drug reaction or withdrawal reaction. Either way, it should fade with time. You might do some stretching or breathing exercises. If I were you, I would stop changing drugs and let your nervous system settle down.

If it's not drug-related, you might consider that you have a touch of health anxiety Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms and use Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms or see a psychotherapist for coaching.

Also see

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What I see in early March is a higher dosage of risperidone. Could be this feeling is related to that.

If it's drug-related, this does not sound like a very serious adverse drug reaction or withdrawal reaction. Either way, it should fade with time. You might do some stretching or breathing exercises. If I were you, I would stop changing drugs and let your nervous system settle down.

If it's not drug-related, you might consider that you have a touch of health anxiety Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms and use Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms or see a psychotherapist for coaching.

Also see

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Thank you so much for your answer. I truly do appreciate it.

If a person had some Aripiprazole in their body, but they had become dependent on another drug, is there a chance that they would experience withdrawal symptoms from the Aripiprazole, upon stopping the newer drug? I've read that Aripiprazole can stay in your body for over a month.

• Administrator

If the newer drug, such as a benzodiazepine, was masking withdrawal symptoms from aripiprazole, you may feel the withdrawal symptoms if you go off the second drug. You might also get withdrawal symptoms from the second drug.

Did you change drugs again?

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

If the newer drug, such as a benzodiazepine, was masking withdrawal symptoms from aripiprazole, you may feel the withdrawal symptoms if you go off the second drug. You might also get withdrawal symptoms from the second drug.

Did you change drugs again?

By becoming dependent on another drug, I meant switching drugs. I was planning on going cold turkey from my Risperidone, after being on it for two weeks. To my understanding, there would definitely be less than half of the last dosage of Aripiprazole, left in my body. But I'm wondering that if that amount can cause me to experience tachycardia (aripiprazole withdrawal symptom), when I cold turkey from Risperidone.

• Administrator

Sorry, no comment on you going onto another drug.

This site is for going off drugs. We believe the fewer switches in drugs, the better. Seems like you've been bouncing around in the antipsychotics for a long time. Talk to your doctor about switching drugs.

4 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Sorry, no comment on you going onto another drug.

This site is for going off drugs. We believe the fewer switches in drugs, the better. Seems like you've been bouncing around in the antipsychotics for a long time. Talk to your doctor about switching drugs.

No no, I mislead you.

I don't plan to switch drugs anymore. I already switched from Aripiprazole to Risperidone, because I believe the withdrawal will be less severe, if I experience it at all. Sorry if I upset you.

• Administrator

It's a very bad idea to cold turkey risperidone. If you do that and get withdrawal symptoms, we will not help you again.