CelesteP: WD symptoms from Imipramine?

CelesteP

Paxil 

Crossed over to lexapro

Lexapro 

Imipramine after lexapro taper

Added Celexa to Imipramine in 2010  

I tapered Imipramine (50mgs)  Just on Celexa now for month.  I need help understanding what I am feeling & there isn't too much out there about Imipramine WD.  AM anxiety back.  Thanks to DARE I am not afraid of it and can get passed it quickly.  I have alot of aches and pains.  Fatigue.  Tingling in lower legs and arms and hands.  No motivation.  Mind racing.  Never feel refreshed.  

Thank you

Paxil              1997 for anxiety/depression (had Epstein Barr Virus) 40mgs

Lexapro        2003 cross over from Paxil to Lexapro  40mgs)

Imipramine  2009 introduced after 2 year Lexapro taper (200mgs. Imipramine)

Celexa          2010 taken with Imipramine 40mgs.  (anxiety/depression)

Tapered from 50mgs. Imipramine for a year.  Imipramine free for a 5 weeks. (March 2018)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, CelesteP, and welcome to SA.

Before I discovered SA, I tapered Imipramine from 75mg down to 15mg and began experiencing similar WD symptoms to yours--intense anxiety, no motivation and fatigue, as well as dizziness.  Then I learned from SA I should've tapered the Lexapro first, since it is more activating and Imipramine is more sedating.  That's water under the bridge for you now (and congratulations for tapering off the Lexpro and Imipramine) but just for your information, take a look at this link.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?  

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  This information should be helpful for your Celexa taper.

To help you understand what you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal:

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Please be aware that sometime withdrawal symptoms don't appear immediately.

Healing isn't linear, it's up and down.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

While it is often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal it can be overstimulating.

Many members have found the techniques in the following two links helpful in coping with withdrawal.  
This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to CelesteP: WD symptoms from Imipramine?

Gridley
Thank you so much.  I didn't think I would meet anyone who tapered Imipramine:) I am okay with AM anxiety as it leaves quickly.  I am not depressed.  I was relieved to read that someone else had the extreme fatigue and aches and pains....not like me at all.  I was not aware of tapering the ssri first.  The Imipramine never had the (desired) effect so I thought why not let it go....it really does nothing.  Frequent UTI's from not being able to empty bladder due to urinary retention from Imipramine.  Much different now. For the better.  Thanks again

Tapered from 50mgs. Imipramine for a year.  Imipramine free for a 5 weeks. (March 2018)

Thanks for starting this, as I don't know anyone who has tapered off Imipramine either.  I have been tapering down from 75 mg and am currently at 12.5.  Feeling the morning anxiety and nausea that I have always experienced trying to come off this drug.  I thought that coming off this sedating med would refresh my energy, but I have no motivation and all I want to do is sleep.

Imipramine 50-75 mg 1979-Mid October 2018

Adderall 2.5-5 mg 2005-2018 Currently taking 2.5 once a week

Trileptal 2014-2017

Risperidone 2014-2017

Unsuccessful trials of Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Seroquel, Rexulti and more

Hi....Craftychica  It has been a good 5-6 weeks and I am finally snapping out of it (for good I hope).  My energy is slowly coming back and the pain is much better.  I am not waking up refreshed yet.  There is improvement.  When I feel a  more permanent shift I will begin a Celexa Taper.....You are not alone with the desire to sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been off Imipramine for about 2 months.  It was not a bad taper (nothing like the other meds).  I have a physically demanding job.  The migratory aches/pains/fatigue/pin/needles is actually scaring me at this point.  The last it happened it did lift and now it is back.  Can anyone relate or even explain it.......thank you.  Feeling like an old bag of bones

• 3 weeks later...

Hi CelesteP....glad to hear things are getting better with energy and pain.  It's encouraging to see improvements over time...I just get really impatient for this withdrawal to be over so I can start to heal.  I been having some really bad mornings with anxiety and nausea lately and it's tough to keep going.  I can say I am feeling less groggy in the morning and able to start the day earlier, which is wonderful.  It's a long hard road, but there are times I feel stronger for it.  My best hopes for your continued success.

Imipramine 50-75 mg 1979-Mid October 2018

Adderall 2.5-5 mg 2005-2018 Currently taking 2.5 once a week

Trileptal 2014-2017

Risperidone 2014-2017

Unsuccessful trials of Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Seroquel, Rexulti and more

• Administrator

Celeste, how are you feeling now?

Aches and pains will come in waves and windows.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi and thank you for asking....the pain went away as did the fatigue....it is good to share about things improving.  Still on Celexa and not yet ready to begin another taper.  Last week I injured my left knee (soft tissue damage).  It is painful and I think I have a road ahead of me.  The sad part of tapering and WD is that when these other issues pop up and set us back it is very frustrating and I cannot begin another taper.  Loss of time we cannot get back. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on being Imipramine-free, CelesteP.  Imipramine is on my to-do list along with Ativan once my Lexapro taper is done.  Healing Light to your knee.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Gridley thank you....it was not that bad of a taper.  Nothing like the ssri's.  After completely being off after a few weeks I got slammed with fatigue and pain...and then it went away.....:)

• 4 months later...

I was on Imipramine and Celexa since 2010.  Last year I tapered Imipramine.  Mild WD.  I figured that the Celexa was a 'buffer'.  I had been tapering Celexa (40mgs) for a for 2-3 months.  Went too fast, too soon.  Crashed.  Reinstated Celexa at full dose.  20mgs. to 40mgs.  In hindsight I wish I had tried reinstatement at 30mgs.

Anxiety went away and so did insomnia.  However........I have a drowsiness and tiredness + brain fog that is driving me crazy.  Is this a start up symptom?  Too afraid to do anything except ride this out.  I recently turned 64 and after years of the AD Merry-Go-Round I threw in the towel on tapering.  I just can't do it anymore.  Thanks 

• Administrator

Hi, Celeste. How long have you been taking 40mg Celexa this last round?

What time of day do you take it?

Please update your signature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 years later...

Oh how I wish we could revive this thread.  Being the only one on this forum at this time that’s tapering from imipramine is lonely.  Any of you still here?

94-2000 Prozac, 2000-2001 zoloft

2001-2003 paxil, 2002 1 mg klonopin

2003-2004 effexor,  ct  klonopin,  in hospital  put on Seroquel & lexapro , 2005 Ct lexapro, in the hospital again, imipramine 250mg, 2009-2010 weaned off seroquel, 2016-17tapered imipramine to 150, 2017-19 100 mg, 2020 jumped to 50 mg a week later went back up to 60. 11/22 56 mg

12-22 50mg 4/5/23 - 47mg 4/16 - 40 mg 6/27/23-35mg 

1/20 1 mg ropinirol  3/21 ropinirol 2 mg 

4/23 Ozempic .25, 6/26/23 .37mg 12/1/23 .39mg

Supplements: boron, Vitamin C, diatomaceous earth, cream of tartar  and Celtic sea salt, transdermal magnesium oil