Early-morning waking - managing the morning cortisol spike

Altostrata

I have a long history with adrenaline surges. I have experienced phases in my withdrawal when I havent experienced them and also when I experience them constantly (like now). When I experience more adrenaline surges, my sleep is usually really broken and unrefreshing and I feel constantly jittery.

Mornings used to be better for me but in the end of my taper they have been the worst. I wake up in the early hours of morning to adrenaline surges. I have somehow learned to live with them with certain strategies as:

- trying to keep my stress levels dow with things such as gentle exercise such as walking or gentle yoga and deep breathing I do every day regularly. I handle stress really poorly during wd and I need a lot of rest. Also any harder exercise, or overdoing things seems to be too much stress for my sensitive CNS and cause more adrenaline surges so there is a certain limit where exercise decrease stress instead of increasing it. I choose exercise that helps with my stress and calms my body down and try to add rest when I start to feel more fatigue in my body. Pushing things when I am tired makes my body easily start to get more adrenaline rushes. But also a bit physical exercise can help to deal with stress that is my trigger of adrenaline surges

- when I wake up to adrenaline surges few things help: electrolytes (magnesium and potassium). I spray magnesium oil to my body and it calms a bit or eat a snack such as potassium rich banana which somehow calms me down at the same time as it gives a bit energy if I am a bit hungry and can help me fall back to asleep after adrenaline surges. Potassium rich foods seem to have some kind of calming effect like coconut water or banana. Its also important what I eat before I go to bed to help me sleep better and I have to eat enough so I sleep well but not too much.

- keeping bedroom really dark because sunlight wakes me up more like it was said in this thread

- keeping daily rhytm and regular bedtime routine. Trying to avoid any too stimulating things hours before going to sleep

- weighted blanket helps my body to calm down during adrenaline surges. Its important to be able to calm my body back to sleep after waking up to adrenaline surge. A long time ago these adrenaline surges prevented me to get sleep after it but I have learned to fall asleep after them. Deep breathing and concentrating on breathing  can help to fall back to asleep.

I have had windows when I dont experience adrenaline surges almost at all (and can sleep almost all night interrupted sleep) but then some stress can again trigger a wave when in worst case I am in flight or fight mode all the time (like now) that also robbes my sleep and makes my sleep really interrupted. Also increased wd symptoms cause stress to my body and mind so it becomes easily a cycle and the wave just continues and continues.  When I am in a wave it feels like the adrenaline feeling just stays in my body all day and it feels so bad, like torture and inner terror that just doesnt stop. :( Like the adrenaline surge just stays after night. Its difficult to even relax in that state because my body feels so uncomfortable. When I am able to sleep a lot after adrenaline surge it can fix the feeling so it doesnt stay all day. It becomes easily a cycle when I feel more and more adrenaline and resting in that state is difficult. But rest and relaxation are important to manage adrenaline surges and flight or fight even though when I am in worst wave, like now, it doesnt feel like helping at all.

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2024 May 1,8 mg  Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, vitamin E occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

15 hours ago, hennie86 said:

I have had windows when I dont experience adrenaline surges almost at all (and can sleep almost all night interrupted sleep) but then some stress can again trigger a wave when in worst case I am in flight or fight mode all the time (like now) that also robbes my sleep and makes my sleep really interrupted. Also increased wd symptoms cause stress to my body and mind so it becomes easily a cycle and the wave just continues and continues.  When I am in a wave it feels like the adrenaline feeling just stays in my body all day and it feels so bad, like torture and inner terror that just doesnt stop. :( Like the adrenaline surge just stays after night. Its difficult to even relax in that state because my body feels so uncomfortable. When I am able to sleep a lot after adrenaline surge it can fix the feeling so it doesnt stay all day. It becomes easily a cycle when I feel more and more adrenaline and resting in that state is difficult. But rest and relaxation are important to manage adrenaline surges and flight or fight even though when I am in worst wave, like now, it doesnt feel like helping at all.

I also have a worse wave at the moment
I reduced my medication to 1mg 21 days ago
The wave started somewhere in 7 days (then lasted 12 days)
It was triggered by half a day of more physical work
I get tired very quickly and then I get tired that gets worse
This leads to great anxiety and weakness
As long as I work, I feel better
When I finish it, it is as if fatigue and depression keep accumulating
This exhaustion often lasts for several days
How long do you usually have a wave last before it passes?

Xanax 0,5mg 1999-2019 a Xanax 0,5mg paar korda kuus, vajadusel

Cymbalta 30mg 2012-25.04.2018 kitsenev 2-3 kuud,rasked sümptomid 1 nädal pärast viimast annust

Amitriptüliin 25mg 25.05.18-20.01.19 ,kitsenev 2-3 kuuga, unetus, paanika-ärevus, segasusseisund, iiveldus

Valdoxan 25mg 10.02.19-10.03.19, ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, Lorasepaam 10.02.19-20.02.19 vajadusel üleöö

Brintellix 5mg 10.03.19-30.06.19 ,ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, hirme, segasust ja unetust, olin haiglas 1 nädal

Olansapiin 5mg 01.03.19-02.08.19,unetuse leevendamiseks suureneb segasus, suureneb depressioon, tekib raske akatiisia Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,ei tööta enam, olukord ei stabiliseeru, jälle haiglas 2 nädalat

Levomepromasiin 5mg 03.08.19-20.12.19 aitas magada, kuid suurendas segadust ja depressiooni

Anafraniil 75mg03.08.19-15.12.19  15.12.19 , 35mg  17.05.20  , 27mg 01.01.21 16.07.21 oli päevane A19 mg 01.04.22 11mg 01.11.22 8,6mg, 01.11.23 6,5mg 01.01.24 5mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Early-morning waking - managing the morning cortisol spike
On 6/13/2020 at 8:52 AM, Estman said:

I also have a worse wave at the moment
I reduced my medication to 1mg 21 days ago
The wave started somewhere in 7 days (then lasted 12 days)
It was triggered by half a day of more physical work
I get tired very quickly and then I get tired that gets worse
This leads to great anxiety and weakness
As long as I work, I feel better
When I finish it, it is as if fatigue and depression keep accumulating
This exhaustion often lasts for several days
How long do you usually have a wave last before it passes?

Sorry to hear about your wave. That sounds really familiar. I get tired soon really easily. I can do stuff and at the moment I can feel I can do it but later I am exhausted. Too much physical activity is a major trigger for me. If I continue to do things and not rest enough it keeps accumulating and I feel more and more fatigue and more and more adrenaline surges. My body just cant handle it and I am manage to continue functioning with help of adrenaline but it can lead to a crash.

This wave is more like a setback and has lasted for weeks.  Too much stress triggered it and I have been in a cycle. I have been holding my dose.

But I have had waves that havent last for this long, and have lasted more like days. Hopefully your wave passes soon. If I would be in your situation I would avoid pushing myself to do too much, and remember to care of myself. Lost of rest especially if I would feel like that and remember to relax more than before WD.

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2024 May 1,8 mg  Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, vitamin E occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

23 minutes ago, hennie86 said:

Sorry to hear about your wave. That sounds really familiar. I get tired soon really easily. I can do stuff and at the moment I can feel I can do it but later I am exhausted. Too much physical activity is a major trigger for me. If I continue to do things and not rest enough it keeps accumulating and I feel more and more fatigue and more and more adrenaline surges. My body just cant handle it and I am manage to continue functioning with help of adrenaline but it can lead to a crash.

This wave is more like a setback and has lasted for weeks.  Too much stress triggered it and I have been in a cycle. I have been holding my dose.

But I have had waves that havent last for this long, and have lasted more like days. Hopefully your wave passes soon. If I would be in your situation I would avoid pushing myself to do too much, and remember to care of myself. Lost of rest especially if I would feel like that and remember to relax more than before WD.

Yes, just like me
I understand that such rapid fatigue is a wave
It seems to me that this is also caused by a 1mg reduction
But yes, physical or mental exertion triggers the same way
Therefore, unfortunately, physical exercise is not possible
Hopefully this will be temporary when the drugs are released

Xanax 0,5mg 1999-2019 a Xanax 0,5mg paar korda kuus, vajadusel

Cymbalta 30mg 2012-25.04.2018 kitsenev 2-3 kuud,rasked sümptomid 1 nädal pärast viimast annust

Amitriptüliin 25mg 25.05.18-20.01.19 ,kitsenev 2-3 kuuga, unetus, paanika-ärevus, segasusseisund, iiveldus

Valdoxan 25mg 10.02.19-10.03.19, ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, Lorasepaam 10.02.19-20.02.19 vajadusel üleöö

Brintellix 5mg 10.03.19-30.06.19 ,ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, hirme, segasust ja unetust, olin haiglas 1 nädal

Olansapiin 5mg 01.03.19-02.08.19,unetuse leevendamiseks suureneb segasus, suureneb depressioon, tekib raske akatiisia Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,ei tööta enam, olukord ei stabiliseeru, jälle haiglas 2 nädalat

Levomepromasiin 5mg 03.08.19-20.12.19 aitas magada, kuid suurendas segadust ja depressiooni

Anafraniil 75mg03.08.19-15.12.19  15.12.19 , 35mg  17.05.20  , 27mg 01.01.21 16.07.21 oli päevane A19 mg 01.04.22 11mg 01.11.22 8,6mg, 01.11.23 6,5mg 01.01.24 5mg

• 7 months later...

I am dealing with this for almost 2 years now.. In addition to autonomic dysfunction symptoms (temperature sensitivity and thermoregulation along with orthostatic intolerance, blurry vision and IBS. 

My mornings until 3-4PM are pretty unpredictable and it also affects me mentally (irrational fear seems to come and go as well).  Then the evenings are symptom-free most days for 5-6 hours.

One observation is that the frequency of the symptoms has increased in the last few months,  but they don't last too long, and their intensity is lower.  

Is this a typical pattern before it subsides?  Are there any signs that would indicate a worsening or healing?

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

On 1/17/2021 at 9:56 PM, tsranga said:

I am dealing with this for almost 2 years now.. In addition to autonomic dysfunction symptoms (temperature sensitivity and thermoregulation along with orthostatic intolerance, blurry vision and IBS. 

My mornings until 3-4PM are pretty unpredictable and it also affects me mentally (irrational fear seems to come and go as well).  Then the evenings are symptom-free most days for 5-6 hours.

One observation is that the frequency of the symptoms has increased in the last few months,  but they don't last too long, and their intensity is lower.  

Is this a typical pattern before it subsides?  Are there any signs that would indicate a worsening or healing?

I would also like to know as I have those same exact symptoms as I try to stabilize 

Meds: Paroxetine, Hydrocodone, k flex, Xanax, Amatriptline, Gabapentin

1998-Apr 2020 Paroxetine 30mg.  04/20 2-week taper off, 0ff 6 weeks -05/20 reinstated 20mg,  Paroxetine - Cymbalta Cross taper attempt 04/20 - 30mg - Cut CT after 6-7 weeks.   Around 06/19 started Paroxetine taper from 30mg by cutting and eyeballing - By 08/19 symptoms started 09/19 - 04/20 = 3 back surgeries thinking symptoms were spine related.  During that time was on and off opiods after each operation, Gabapentin 300 mg daily for about 6-8 weeks, K flex / Flexeril - once before bedtime 04/19 - 05/20, Xanax as needed for past 3 years - stopped 04/20, ( usually twice per week ), Amatriptline 10mg for aprox 6 weeks = off since aprox 02/20.  Currently Tapered all the way down to 1 mg Hydro daily and 20mg Paroxetine - In severe withdrawals. Was taking .5 Hydro 2 times daily.   Spread it out to 3 then 4 times daily to avoid inter dose withdrawal.   Taking .5 hydroo 4 times daily. - 2mg daily.    Spread Paroxetine to twice daily.  10 mg at 7 am and at 3:00 PM for a total of 20 mg daily.  04/13/2021 Paroxetine 10mg twice daily (total 20mg )  7:00 am and 7:00 pm.  10/22/2021 Completely OFF Hydrocodone. 10/2022 - 10mg Parox AM - 9 mg parox PM ( 19mg) 01/06/2023 18mg Paroxetine-9mg am /9 mg Pm 11/2023  - Been dropping 1% every 30 days after extended hold.  Currently at 17.2 mg Paroxetine daily.  

• Administrator

@tsranga@Albert please read this topic from the beginning. That symptom pattern you report is typical of hypersensitization to morning cortisol, wearing off towards evening.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

@tsranga@Albert please read this topic from the beginning. That symptom pattern you report is typical of hypersensitization to morning cortisol, wearing off towards evening.

@AltostrataI did. Looks like this symptom along with the temperature sensitivity ( alternatively feeling hot/cold with sensitivity to covering/fabric material etc., especially around the sleep/wake cycle) is also a hypersensitization. 

This week my temp sensitivity has increased since the gusty winds arrived and kept me awake. I was reading the thread on that as well,  trying to figure out if the temp sensitivity can be categorized as a wave or induced/aggravated by a weather change . I notice my BP increases  at these times (between 1AM - 3PM) and my mind also goes into this disoriented/agitated state, and when it returns to normal, all other symptoms resolve too.. 

Probably we stay stuck in a sympathetic activation longer during a wave? 

This can also increase my IBS activity, but last night, the gut stayed calm.

I find that myself most likely to sleep naturally around 9-10PM if I am on the couch.. As soon as I start adding layers or move to the bedroom, I get hypersensitive to the difference in temp, weight & material of the covering.. and cant get back to sleep, and if I miss going to bed before 4-5am, I go without sleep.

Looks like both these symptoms are going to be around for a while.. are the last to subside/resolve? Anything that we can do to help with it? 

Chronic IBS since 1990

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

I have also noticed if I eat sugar that it can really drive up my symptoms.  Is there anything you have found that helps with the morning cortisol spike?  My symptoms so seem to lessen at about 3:00 pm.  I still feel very weak, dizzy, and have very tight muscles most of the time

1998-Apr 2020 Paroxetine 30mg.  04/20 2-week taper off, 0ff 6 weeks -05/20 reinstated 20mg,  Paroxetine - Cymbalta Cross taper attempt 04/20 - 30mg - Cut CT after 6-7 weeks.   Around 06/19 started Paroxetine taper from 30mg by cutting and eyeballing - By 08/19 symptoms started 09/19 - 04/20 = 3 back surgeries thinking symptoms were spine related.  During that time was on and off opiods after each operation, Gabapentin 300 mg daily for about 6-8 weeks, K flex / Flexeril - once before bedtime 04/19 - 05/20, Xanax as needed for past 3 years - stopped 04/20, ( usually twice per week ), Amatriptline 10mg for aprox 6 weeks = off since aprox 02/20.  Currently Tapered all the way down to 1 mg Hydro daily and 20mg Paroxetine - In severe withdrawals. Was taking .5 Hydro 2 times daily.   Spread it out to 3 then 4 times daily to avoid inter dose withdrawal.   Taking .5 hydroo 4 times daily. - 2mg daily.    Spread Paroxetine to twice daily.  10 mg at 7 am and at 3:00 PM for a total of 20 mg daily.  04/13/2021 Paroxetine 10mg twice daily (total 20mg )  7:00 am and 7:00 pm.  10/22/2021 Completely OFF Hydrocodone. 10/2022 - 10mg Parox AM - 9 mg parox PM ( 19mg) 01/06/2023 18mg Paroxetine-9mg am /9 mg Pm 11/2023  - Been dropping 1% every 30 days after extended hold.  Currently at 17.2 mg Paroxetine daily.  

3 hours ago, Albert said:

I have also noticed if I eat sugar that it can really drive up my symptoms.  Is there anything you have found that helps with the morning cortisol spike?  My symptoms so seem to lessen at about 3:00 pm.  I still feel very weak, dizzy, and have very tight muscles most of the time

Nothing really.. I thought ashwagandha helped initially, but Iam not sure anymore. Maybe it does help reduce the intensity and duration. I have been taking it for the past 3 months 

I just get up whenever I wake up, and get some yoga stretches followed by meditation. That takes me around 2 hours by which time, I feel calm enough to tackle the day.. 

I also get an hour of walking daily, all of which helps with the dizziness and muscle tightness.. This routine has been the only thing that I can say has helped in withdrawal consistently.

Chronic IBS since 1990

I will try anything.  I my legs and muscles have been very painful lately.  Also my insomnia has increased.  I am going to try that routine and see if it helps me.  I can do a slow walk and I can also stretch . Not sure I have enough strength to do yoga though. 

Yoga is all about working with your own ability.. look up restorative yoga. 

http://blog.zenward.com/restorative-yoga-for-healthy-joints/

Chronic IBS since 1990

• 1 month later...

What does a cortisol surge feel like? I am trying to determine if this is my akathisia coming back kr a cortisol surge? I do have blackout shades and a mask but it does not help. I awake at exactly 530 rather having a good or bad dream to a racing heart , muscle twitches, and the feeling of a motor inside my body like an inner vibration\tremor. No amount of meditation or body renaming can touch it. It lasts at least an hour and the inner motor feeling and racing heart dies get a little better if I wake up.. though still lots of twitching and still some restlessness it gets slightly better by evening. 

cirtisol or return if akathisia?

2000-2017Paxil 40 mg and Zoloft usually 100 mg most these years

2018-1.5 year pooped out reinstatement of Zoloft 100.

feb 2020 lexapro 10 mg but developed tinnitus and palls. taperoff lex in June

9/22/20: dropped 2.5 mg lexapro to 0 and started 10 mg Prozac Akathisia and insomnia and worse depression began after dropping to 2.5 (be4 starting Prozac) .

9/20:  6 weeks intermittent but consistent Ativan and klonopin
10/22/20: last dose of klon

and dropped to 8 mg prozac

12-19-20: decreased Prozac to 7.4 
1-5-21: 7.68 prozac with adv effects so  1-7-21: back to 7.4 1-18/21: 7.2 and 1/25/21: 6.95 2/1: 6.8

I have this exact same thing.  I wake between 4:30 and 5:30 AM every morning.  I also have the muscle twitching as well as frequent urination in the mornings when I wake.  I also have the backs of my legs tighten up in the mornings as well  I think that it is just an overall symptom of withdrawal.  I can say that keeping the room dark helps a little.  So you are completely off of Paxil and the only drug that you have left is the Prozac?  Are these your only symptoms? 

I was on lexapro when withdrawals started trying to stabilize and taper the Prozac, but it’s not happening. Do you have an inner vibration or tremor like a motor in your nerves when waking and racing or strong heart beat too? 

2000-2017Paxil 40 mg and Zoloft usually 100 mg most these years

2018-1.5 year pooped out reinstatement of Zoloft 100.

feb 2020 lexapro 10 mg but developed tinnitus and palls. taperoff lex in June

9/22/20: dropped 2.5 mg lexapro to 0 and started 10 mg Prozac Akathisia and insomnia and worse depression began after dropping to 2.5 (be4 starting Prozac) .

9/20:  6 weeks intermittent but consistent Ativan and klonopin
10/22/20: last dose of klon

and dropped to 8 mg prozac

12-19-20: decreased Prozac to 7.4 
1-5-21: 7.68 prozac with adv effects so  1-7-21: back to 7.4 1-18/21: 7.2 and 1/25/21: 6.95 2/1: 6.8

4 hours ago, Kristinhopes said:

awake at exactly 530 rather having a good or bad dream to a racing heart , muscle twitches, and the feeling of a motor inside my body like an inner vibration\tremor. No amount of meditation or body renaming can touch it. It lasts at least an hour and the inner motor feeling and racing heart dies get a little better if I wake up

This is a typical morning cortisol spike.  I wake up at 5:30 (sometimes between 3-5am), get up and start my yoga, and after 60-90 min after awaking this subsides and I can focus calmly. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

Does the Yoga Help

8 minutes ago, Albert said:

Does the Yoga Help

Yes. Any restorative practice helps lower  the cortisol. Avoid high intensity workouts

Chronic IBS since 1990

So basically getting up and just moving around and doing stretching and minor activities will help lower the cortisol and relieve symptoms 

I go for a mild walk in the morning.  I may start to try yoga. Ok 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2011 at 2:19 PM, Altostrata said:

I also researched cortisol fighters. Here are some I found to be helpful:

- Vitamin C in controlled-release tablets or fresh fruit

- Baby aspirin (be sure to take with food)

- Vitamin B12 (good for some, not for others)

Has anyone tried the baby aspirin to fight the cortisol spike? I’m desperate. I wake up at 2 and 4am every night in addition to several other time. But I can always count on 2 and 4. 

Zoloft 100mg - June 2015-April 2018 - 2 month taper, had extreme antsiness (different from my normal anxiety) previously said 25mg, was wrong

Xanax 0.25-0.5mg - Aug 2018- Dec 2020 - Rarely took, probably less than every other month. Over 2020 holidays took 0.5mg 5-6times

Escitalopram 10mg - Aug 2018 - Nov 2020 - tapered over 5 months:

June 25 2020 - Aug 14 2020 - Can't remember what I did but assuming it was 5mg this whole time.

Aug 14 2020 - Oct 24th 2020?? - 2.5mg for awhile, then every 27 hrs. Kept trying to extend length of hrs, up to 36. This is where symptoms got bad but I was able to tolerate as it was more fatigue and irritability.

Oct 25 2020 - mid Nov 2020 - 1.25mg every 24-36 hours, then ct. These are estimates because I was cutting the pills and this is 1/8 of 10mg but by now, it was dust. Tried just having the dust toward the end.

Dec 27 2020 major crying spells and depressive, empty/hopeless feeling dead thoughts. Had a couple ok days, a couple really bad ones a week out.

Reinstated liquid Escitalopram 0.15mg - Jan 12 2021  -  Mar 5 2021 - 0.14mg. Mar 16 2021 - 2.5mg. Mar 17 2021 - 5mg. May 21 2021 - 4.8mg. May 28 2021 4.6mg. Jun 9 2021 4.5mg. Jul 7 4mg. Aug 7 2021 3.6mg. Sep 7 2021 3.2mg. Oct 7 2021 2.8mg. Nov 5 2021 2.45mg. Dec 6 2021 2.2mg. Jan 22 2022 2mg. Feb 13 2022 1.9mg. Mar 2 2022 1.8mg. Mar 18 2022 1.7mg. Apr 5 2022 1.6mg. Apr 22 2022 1.5mg. May 13 2022 1.34mg. Jun 16 2022 1.2mg. Jul 16 2022 1.08mg. Aug 13 2022 .97mg. Sep 11 2022 .87mg. Sep 21 2022 .8mg. Sep 27 2022 .7mg. Oct 8 .6mg. Oct 20 .5mg. Nov 1 .4mg. Nov 13 .34mg. Nov 17 .3mg. Nov 24 .24mg. Nov 30 .18mg. Dec 7 .14mg. Dec 8 .12mg. Dec .1mg. Dec 19 .06mg. Dec 24 .02mg. Dec 31 0mg!!

Fluoxetine bridge - Mar 31 2021 - 10mg. Still on this

Reinstated BC (Nuvaring) - Feb 21 2021. 

• Administrator

Please read this topic from the beginning.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone i think this is imporyant just reaching out if someone knows how to address early morning cortisol spikes its sending my blood pressure through the roof bp medical doesn't work its all tied in with the wd symptoms  it wakes me up i display symptoms of a tighness around my chest and arms and legs stomach nausea cramps along with all the mental debilitation i eat right i exercise i meditate no alcohol no drug no sugar no coffee and i do meditation self help therapies i went on a 6 kilometer jog this morning of which i do 3 times a week after 4 minutes my bp was close to normal then it started rising again my history I'm 65 months ct 

I've been medication free for 65 months and a half months as posted of May 30th 2021 , stopped   med's December 14th 2015,  history  20 years on  Prozac 80mg & Moclobemide 150 mg  per day,  stopped  Moclobemide sometime in 2012 then about a year later lowered Prozac  dose to 20mg  per day, then changed to Paroxetine, then change to a Mirtazapine,  then change to Lexapro,  then changed to Brintellix,  then changed to Edronax  all at 10mgs or less  over a period of about  year,   Edronax tapered 4mg to 2mg over  10 weeks, 2 mg for 8 weeks 1 mg for 10 weeks  stopped all meds completely 14 December 2015  3 months later all HELL broke loose 

18 Jan 2019 reinstated Prozac  .25 mg then ceased 8/8/20

• 1 month later...

I have a question about this. I have trouble falling and staying asleep for more then a few hours. But i don't feel anxiety or dread or anything else you guys are talking about. Granted when this wave first started ny heartrate was through the roof 24/7. Is it common to just have the physical  symptoms?  My last emotional symptoms happened right before the insomnia and passed basically the day before the insomnia started. So I am now calm but so sleepy.

???? To  early April 2021: citalopram 20mg. This was a about 12+years

April 2021: stopped taking citalopram 

6/10/2021 to 6/11/2021: started taking buspirone for anxiety . Got ringing in the ears and insomnia so I stopped

6/16/2021 reinstatement of citalopram at 10mg

8/12/2021: 4.5ml/9mg citalopram 10/11/21 4ml 11/15/21 3.5ml 12/28/2021: 3ml/6mg 1/28/2022 2.5ml/5mg  2mL/4mg 3/6/2022 1.5ml/3mg 4/12/2022  5/31/2022 1ml/2mg  7/31/2022 .5ml/1mg

9/3/2022: .4ml/.8mg citalopram. after a few days got some severe withdrawal so  .45ml/.9mg 9/8/2022 10/6/2022 1mg again .45ml/.9mg 12/9/2022

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been dealing with this am waking for other 2 years as I slow taper off of cymbalta. Is it best to hold the dose you’re at until this resolves?  Or will this continue until I’m off the drug?  It’s miserable. I wake between 4-5am with a heart rate over 100, nausea, tremors. I use an eye mask and I’ve been trying to take a supplement called “cortisol manager”, but I haven’t experienced much relief. 

1999-2012:  Zoloft 50mg

2012-Jul 2018:  cymbalta 90mg

jul 2018-nov 2020:  tapered by bead counting down to 39mg cymbalta

nov 2020:  Zoloft 50mg, buspar 10mg tid, Zofran 4mg added to 39mg cymbalta

nov 16, 2020:  buspar stopped

nov 25, 2020:  Zoloft and Zofran stopped (serotonin toxicity)

nov 26, 2020:  cymbalta 20mg bid

2021:  slow tapering cymbalta; down to 33mg

2021 - 2023:  slow tapered cymbalta by bead counting down to 8mg

June 2023-August 2023 - tapered too quickly off of the last 8mg

Aug 19, 2023 - LAST DOSE of cymbalta and officially prescription-free

I found timed release Vitamin C seemed like helpful.

Xanax 0.4mg on and off only for bedtime occasionally from 2015

2019.6 Xanax Inter-dose withdraw after 8 weeks continuous usage 

2019.6.3 100mg Zoloft

2019.6.27 CT 0.4mg Xanax cross over to 7.14mg Valium 75mg Trazodone

2019.8.29 Jumped Valium at 0.5mg

2019.12.15 Jumped Zoloft at 4mg

2020.1.4 Jumped Trazodone at 5mg

2020.6.1 95% healed with no symptoms and sleep very well

2021.4.6 Reinstated 1mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone for anxiety setback from antibiotics 2021.4.25 0.5mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone 2021.5.7 Jumped Zoloft at 0.25mg as adverse effects 2021.6.2Tapered and jumped Tandospirone as mild serotonin syndrome Couldn’t take Seremind (Lavender oil) neither it could also cause the serotonin syndrome 2021.6.13 1mg Cyproheptadine before bed and got better and better 2021.8.13 Bad wave don’t know if triggered by chocolate ice cream

4 hours ago, Shashal said:

I found timed release Vitamin C seemed like helpful.

How many mg did you take?  I usually take 1000mg at bedtime. 

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

20 hours ago, ESRoar said:

How many mg did you take?  I usually take 1000mg at bedtime. 

1000mg before sleep too, and I found timed release is better at the same dose.

Xanax 0.4mg on and off only for bedtime occasionally from 2015

2019.6 Xanax Inter-dose withdraw after 8 weeks continuous usage 

2019.6.3 100mg Zoloft

2019.6.27 CT 0.4mg Xanax cross over to 7.14mg Valium 75mg Trazodone

2019.8.29 Jumped Valium at 0.5mg

2019.12.15 Jumped Zoloft at 4mg

2020.1.4 Jumped Trazodone at 5mg

2020.6.1 95% healed with no symptoms and sleep very well

2021.4.6 Reinstated 1mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone for anxiety setback from antibiotics 2021.4.25 0.5mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone 2021.5.7 Jumped Zoloft at 0.25mg as adverse effects 2021.6.2Tapered and jumped Tandospirone as mild serotonin syndrome Couldn’t take Seremind (Lavender oil) neither it could also cause the serotonin syndrome 2021.6.13 1mg Cyproheptadine before bed and got better and better 2021.8.13 Bad wave don’t know if triggered by chocolate ice cream

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to provide an update of a supplement that is really helping me with the early morning waking. I take Life Extension Vitamin C 24-hour Liposomal Hydrogel Formula. I take it at bedtime. Other brands of time release vitamin c did not work as well for me.  Hope this can help someone. 🙏🏻

• 1 month later...

Cortisol mornings

Has anyone found something that helps with cortisol mornings? Besides darkening the room…as my room is already pretty dark. Thanks! Can anything be done for this? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

Paxil 2008 20mg 2016 40mg feb 21 2022  20mg, feb 28 0mg April 23 20mg April 24 40mg April 26 20mg April 27 10mg April 28 0mg May 7 10mg May 17 0mg

Duloxitine Feb. 21, ‘22-30mg feb 28 60mg March 14 0mg April 21. 30mg April 26 60mg April 28 30mg am/60mg pm May 7 60mg am currently still on

Lexapro 2022 April 14 5 mg April 18 10m

April 21 0mg

Trazodone April 24 50mg 

Currently on 60mg dulox and 50mg Trazadone 

taking hydroxyzine and xanax as needed

I had horrible cortisol mornings and have just started to have a version of them again, but it’s much less debilitating and I have strategies now so it’s not as bad. I’ve found that getting up and out of bed was the best medicine, as much as I hated to hear it at the time. Last year I did Wim Hof breathing followed by a short meditation as soon as I woke up and it started my day. I also got a puppy a year and a half ago and he has to be let out so I don’t have a choice anymore- also helpful.  Whatever you do, don’t lay there in “it” thinking about how awful it is if you can help it. I’ve also heard people say that a cold shower first thing helps calm the nervous system, and if you can’t stomach that maybe ice on the chest to calm the vagus nerve in a similar manner. On particularly bad days I also would sit with it mindfully and try not to let the thoughts of how horrible it was run away with me, quieting the mind (much easier said than done, I know). Let me know if any of this helps you… I have so much compassion for you. It is a tough symptom but it will lessen over time and finally pass. Have faith. Sending love. 

• On meds since 2004. Previous medications: Adderall, Ritalin XR, Concerta, Adderall XR, Prozac, Effexor, Lexapro, Abilify.
  • March 2020 tapered off 100mg Zoloft by taking 50 mg every other day, then every 2nd day, then every 3rd day. March 2020 tapered Trazodone from 50mg to 25mg. April 2020 quit Vyvanse cold turkey
  • Stopped Zoloft completely by May of 2020
  • May 22, 2020 withdrawal nightmare set in; OCD symptoms
  • Mid July 2020 reinstated 12.5mg Zoloft
  • August 2020 began TMS treatments and reinstated Trazodone 100mg
  • September 2020 reduced Trazodone down to 50-75mg 
  • Between September- November 2020 tried twice unsuccessfully to quit Zoloft cold turkey
  • 11/12/20- 12.5mg Zoloft, 75mg Trazodone
  • 5/30/21- 5mg Zoloft, 15mg Trazodone
  • 7/2/21- 3mg Zoloft, 0mg Trazodone (both done with taper) 
  • 1/2/22- .05mg Zoloft (with taper over last 6 months)
  • 5/16/22- jumped off from .019mg (with taper over last 5 months)- med free!
  • December 2020- present - Neurofeedback 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 11:37 PM, lfran said:

I had horrible cortisol mornings and have just started to have a version of them again, but it’s much less debilitating and I have strategies now so it’s not as bad. I’ve found that getting up and out of bed was the best medicine, as much as I hated to hear it at the time. Last year I did Wim Hof breathing followed by a short meditation as soon as I woke up and it started my day. I also got a puppy a year and a half ago and he has to be let out so I don’t have a choice anymore- also helpful.  Whatever you do, don’t lay there in “it” thinking about how awful it is if you can help it. I’ve also heard people say that a cold shower first thing helps calm the nervous system, and if you can’t stomach that maybe ice on the chest to calm the vagus nerve in a similar manner. On particularly bad days I also would sit with it mindfully and try not to let the thoughts of how horrible it was run away with me, quieting the mind (much easier said than done, I know). Let me know if any of this helps you… I have so much compassion for you. It is a tough symptom but it will lessen over time and finally pass. Have faith. Sending love. 

Wim Hof breathing technique is indeed wonderful, I recently found it myself.

I find that if you don't hold your breath and instead just relax on those 1-4 mins between breaths, it works much better for relaxing.

Also I started with cold showers, they seem to have some effect as well :)

27/04/21 Escitalopram x 2.5mg Clonazepam 0.375 mg | 14/05/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.5 mg | 30/05/21 Escitalopram x 7.5mg Clonazepam x 0.375 mg | 14/06/21 Escitalopram x 10mg Clonazepam x 0.25 mg | 27/08/21  Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.5 mg |

28/08/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.475 mg | 04/09/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.4 mg | 09/09/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.35 mg | 14/09/21  Escitalopram x 5 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 14/10/2021 Escitalopram x 4mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 22/10/21 Escitalopram x 4.5mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 19/11/21 Escitalopram x 4mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 29/12/21 Escitalopram x 3.92 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 2/1/2022 Escitalopram x 3.84 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 7/1/2022 Escitalopram x 3.76 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 7/1/2022 Escitalopram x 3.76 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 17/05/22  Escitalopram x 3.36 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 12/06/22 Escitalopram x 2.92 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 01/08/22 Escitalopram x 2.61 mg Diazepam x 14 mg |  29/08/22 Escitalopram x 2.46 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 1/11/22 Escitalopram x 2 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 28/11/22 Escitalopram x 1.61 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/01/23 Escitalopram x 1.30 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/02/23 Escitalopram x 1 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/03/23 Escitalopram x 0.76 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/04/23 Escitalopram x 0.54 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 08/05/23 Escitalopram x 0.31 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 06/06/23 Escitalopram x 0.15 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 04/07/23 Lexapro FREE Diazepam x 14 mg | 10/09/23 Lexapro FREE Diazepam x 13 mg | 02/10/23 Diazepam x 12 mg |  23/10/23 Diazepam x 10 mg | 

• 1 month later...

I have had chronic insomnia since going off citalopram, followed by a change to escitalopram. 16 months ago. I was on antidepressants for 27 years. 

I have tried melatonin, magnesium, sleep supplements, sleep apps, white noise, brown noise etc etc. I occasionally take a half a zopiclone or half a lorazepam when the lack of sleep is making me feel insane. That doesn't always work either.

I often wake every hour. Sometimes I only sleep for 15 minute bursts. I am trying to stay as drug free as possible. The anxiety is there almost before I wake. 

The only help I get offered is more antidepressants to take at night to help with sleep. I have been tempted to go back on, but I don't want to go through withdrawing again. If I went back on something, I wouldn't come off them again.

Has anyone found anything that works? I'm in NZ. 

Aropax 1993-2004 Citalopram 2004-2020 Lexapro 2020-2021 

Ativan Occasional use since 2017

Aspirin 100mg daily since 2015

Zopiclone 7.5mg Half a tablet When needed

Lexapro taper February 2021 10mg to 5mg then 5mg to 2.5mg then stop 16/4/21

Zopiclone 7.5mg Half a tablet 2-3 times a week.

Supplements 5HTP, Magnesium, Vitamin B Complex, Melatonin, Zinc as advised to take by Doctor.

Homeopathics Aurum, Nux vom, Aconite (Prescribed by a Homeopath)

My Taper was short on the advice of my Doctor due to my reaction to Lexapro. I took it slower than the 2 week taper he advised. 

• 1 month later...

Getting awful cortisol spikes again nearly 6 years off and out of the blue horrific symptoms have come back I normally sleep for about 3-4 hours but now at 2am I jolt awake very restless bed soaked in sweat and I am very unsettle I toss and turn it gets so bad that I have to get up my body temperature goes from being hot to shivering and I have to urinate a lot then I get complete exhaustion and fatigue and weakness this goes on through most part of the day and leaves me feeling agitated and a nervous feeling in my stomache 

I practise good sleep hygiene and have no trouble falling a sleep I had this cortisol mornings for the first 2 years of withdrawal and gradually it went away but it has come back with a vengeance can’t think of any triggers I have read this post from top to bottom and see many people get it especially in the early years are there others that have been hit like this so far out 

I read that people have found vitamin c in high doses to be beneficial but I am very sensitive to supplements I did try seriphos but it didn’t help these cortisol days are destroying me being stuck in a loop every morning I was wondering how many people found vitamin c to be helpful in fact anything would help at this moment 

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy