Altostrata

Waking with panic or anxiety - managing cortisol spikes

jeremy1069

This happens to me on and off. It happened this morning. Glad I came across this topic. Now I know the cause of this too. 

peng
On 8/14/2018 at 5:51 PM, IanM said:

Hi all. 

I just wanted to point out that morning anxiety is not always drug related, and happens to lots of people that aren't on/withdrawing from drugs. Case in point: My brother is in the middle of a divorce, and he is waking early with bad anxiety. He is not now, nor has he ever been on psychiatric meds. But he is definitely thinking of going on something, and who am I to stop him? Anxiety is a killer.

Absolutely, IanM.

From my personal experience in 1977, I view these non-drug related earlywaking/anxiety attacks as two of the classic symptoms of one "having a nervous breakdown".

This was the terminology used in the 1960s/70s, maybe longer, in the popular media.

One's first experiences can be likened to the sudden feeling of shock and panic as if a large, roaring lion had entered the room.

I was prescribed Ativan, then, and signed off shift-work which I had been doing for the first 14 years of my career (1964-1977).  Not the best overall solution from the elderly doctor with a very comforting bedside manner, but, clearly, Roche/Wyeth (IIRC) had been incredibly convincing.

Later, I believe the benzo, whilst holding off acute anxiety for a few hours, (I slept through the battle scene of the Star Wars movie's premiere in Edinburgh!) did not prevent a full-blown plunge into clinical depression and may even have exacerbated it.

Look after your brother, and best wishes.

JanCarol

Just saw a study about probiotics Lactobacillus helviticus and Bifidobacterium longum used in combination reduced cortisol in urine.

Whether this is good for spikes or not, is unknown.  However, simple lactobacillus rhamnosis (available in kefir or yogurt) can improve GABA regulation, and anxiety scores.

From this talk:

The probiotic research is getting really good.  I'd rather take bugs than drugs! 

Edited by JanCarol

Mewmewkitty

Half a cup of coffee decrease the surges for me. Any input on this? 

Edit:obviously I don't use this method for early wakings *giggle*

trenace

This happens to me every morning and every time I try to nap I wake up immediately scared out of my mind. If I could sleep without this I'd just sleep everyday lol. My families like if you don't feel well why don't you just go to sleep? 

I'm like I'm scared to sleep and they look at me like Im crazy.... 

xyz
On 11/14/2018 at 10:34 AM, Mewmewkitty said:

Half a cup of coffee decrease the surges for me. Any input on this? 

Edit:obviously I don't use this method for early wakings *giggle*

yoh, me. the cortisol surge ends every morning after my first cup of coffee. i think it is worse when i am not fully awake.

elbee
14 hours ago, trenace said:

I'm like I'm scared to sleep and they look at me like Im crazy....

Trenace . . . I think for me part of my being scared to sleep is from being scared to awaken. I know as a kid, waking up to the new day was a scary proposition for me. I've carried that into adulthood and I'm now learning to work with that. Also, for me, dreaming is like a portal to the unconscious . . . an extremely vulnerable place. Waking up can be a raw transition from such vulnerability into "the real world" and the cause of a lot of anxiety to start my day. Luckily I've found ways to work with this and my situation has improved greatly. It CAN be done :) 

Happy2Heal
On 11/27/2018 at 9:09 PM, elbee said:

Trenace . . . I think for me part of my being scared to sleep is from being scared to awaken. I know as a kid, waking up to the new day was a scary proposition for me. I've carried that into adulthood and I'm now learning to work with that. Also, for me, dreaming is like a portal to the unconscious . . . an extremely vulnerable place. Waking up can be a raw transition from such vulnerability into "the real world" and the cause of a lot of anxiety to start my day. Luckily I've found ways to work with this and my situation has improved greatly. It CAN be done :) 

I am so glad I read this thread and saw your posts elbee!
I have a trauma history as well and have been experiencing a lot of what you talk about, eps the waking up with the memories of how scary the daytime was as a child

I have to try hard to remind myself that these feelings are rooted in the past and that time no longer exists

it's hard though.

I just started having more cortisol spikes and was starting to worry that it was from adding back vit D3 (I only take in during fall and winter due to the lack of sunlight where I live in New England)
I just upped the dose of vit D3 and am going to try backing down on that to see if there's a difference.... I am not sure I need the D3 at all.

I like your ideas about self care....I am having trouble convincing myself that I am worth it though. It feels too selfish to me.

I've got to come back to this thread when I have more time and my head is clearer,  but just wanted to bookmark it for now and to thank you for sharing your experiences and tips

elbee
1 hour ago, Happy2Heal said:

I like your ideas about self care....I am having trouble convincing myself that I am worth it though. It feels too selfish to me.

Happy2Heal, learning self-care for me has come through the context of an "inner child" / "reparenting" framework. Like you, I've had incredible resistance in numerous ways, including feeling "selfish" as you mention, but also overwhelmed, resentful, angry, scared, frustrated, etc. The focus of this topic thread is more biological in nature (cortisol spikes) when dealing with morning anxiety, but I do talk about my "reparenting" work on my own thread, and at some point I'll create a topic specific to the subject ;)