MountainManGuy: Escitalopram 10mg

MountainManGuy

Hello,

I recently stopped taking Escitalopram and wanted to share my experiences with you all, as well as receive any advice you may have for me on this journey to proper mental health. 

My old doctor told me I was tightly wound, which makes me a good candidate for anxiety.  A few years ago my older sister had a heart attack at the age of 27 (I was 24 at the time), and I quickly became a hypochondriac.  I thought I was next.  I started getting bad acid reflux(anxiety increases stomach acid production), which over time irritated my esophagus causing chest pain and heartburn.  Any time I would experience chest pain my body would freak out thinking I was having a heart attack.  The anxiety quickly escalated to random pins and needles type nerve pains all over my body.  It was about 1 needle prick every 3 seconds when it was at it's worst.    I had a full blown panic attack at work and passed out, woke up laying on the floor with paramedics standing over me...

I was put on 5 mg Escitalopram at first, and then not long after that my doctor upped it to 10mg.  He actually wanted me to take 20mg, but I refused because the dose felt high to me and I don't really like taking medicines.  They also prescribed me lorazepam, which I only took a handful of times because I read about the dangers of benzos.  I took the Escitalopram daily for 4 ish years, and was generally pretty stable and happy.  Recently I started feeling like the Escitalopram was making it so that I didn't really experience true emotions anymore.  It felt like this blanket was placed over my brain and I wasn't my true self, so I started weening off it.  Also, I accidentally went on a vacation without my medicine and was without it for an entire week, and that was awful.  The dizzy spells(brain zaps) were intense.  This dependency made me want to stop taking the medicine. 

My doctor told me to just start taking it every other day for a week or two, and then move it to every 2 days, etc..  During this taper process I experienced INTENSE mood swings, and I was worried for those around me.  It felt like I could explode with anger or sadness at any given moment.  Fast forward to now, I last took the med on Jan 31st of this year and I still don't feel normal.  

Here is what I'm currently dealing with. 

-Brain fog.  I feel like I'm looking through a thick fog.  I can't write sentences as well as I used to, can't speak as fluently as I used to, and I'm just slower in general.  Sometimes when I speak now I may stutter my way through the sentence.  My vision doesn't seem as clear either.  

-Insomnia.  Sleep has become difficult after coming off the medicine.  I have to take melatonin to even fall asleep at all, and I wake up a lot more than I used to.  This is actually the same sleep patterns I've been dealing with my whole life.  The Escitalopram actually helped my sleeping drastically.  I feel tired all the time now which is probably due to not sleeping deeply all night like I was before.

-Appetite.  I have lost a LOT of my appetite after stopping the medicine, and in turn have lost 15 lbs.  This is currently my number 1 concern.  I am underweight and need to get that weight put back on, but it's hard for me to eat enough calories per day.  When I was on the medicine it was easy, but now I'm hardly ever hungry and I can't eat very much when I do eat.

-Headaches.  I don't know if this is related to the med or not, but I've recently experienced some workout induced ocular migraines, where after I do cardio my vision goes blurry and later I'll have a minor headache for the entire next day.  The blurry vision lasts about an hour.  

My brain is so foggy right now I can't really write anything else even though there's more to write.  I just wanted to share and get some feedback from you.

I took 10mg Escitalopram once a day for 4 years, last dose on January 31st, 2018.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, MountainManGuy, and welcome to SA.

The symptoms you are experiencing are typical withdrawal symptoms from a too-fast taper.  To help you understand what you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal:

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Please be aware that sometime withdrawal symptoms don't appear immediately after a too-fast taper.

We don't recommend tapering by alternating doses, which is equivalent to dropping your dose by 50%.   The half-lives of almost all psychiatric drugs are too short for this to make any sense. It causes the amount of the medication in your bloodstream to go up and down, battering your nervous system, and makes withdrawal worse. It is like playing ping-pong with your brain.

Your brain likes stability, to be treated gently.  It is ideal if you can accommodate it to lower and lower dosages. Move it slowly down a ramp by gradually decreasing dosage by an amount it may hardly notice. SA recommends tapering by 10% of your current dose with a hold of at least 4 weeks before your next decrease.The 10% taper method is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.
 This is explained in the attached links:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

This link explains the importance of a slow taper.

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Reinstatement isn’t a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone, but it’s the best tactic available.  You’re still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to three month after last dose or dose reduction.  We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when updosig/reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase of symptoms remain unbearable.  If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  

After you complete the drug signature described in the next paragraph, we can give you a suggestion as to what dosage of Lexapro we recommend you reinstate.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

While it is often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal it can be overstimulating.

Many members have found the techniques in the following two links helpful in coping with withdrawal.  
This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed white space

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you so much Gridley!!  I've been browsing through these links you posted and that one about "What is happening in your brain" is one of the most reassuring things I've read since I started this journey.  Holy crap, it just resonates with me so well on the part of the physical symptoms during nerve regeneration.  

It makes me so mad that out of all the doctors I've seen, none of them have given me any solid info like you have here.  Why do they even prescribe the medicine if they don't fully understand it, or do they just not have the time to fully explain it all to me?  

Also, I really wish I would have stumbled upon a post like yours prior to my rapid taper, because I don't think I can get back on the escitalopram now, even if trying to reinstate to lessen the withdrawals.  I think I'm just going to try and stick it out unless things just get really bad.  I would love it if I was mostly back to normal by summer time, because that's my favorite time of year.  

I've done a little reading on the magnesium and fish oil and that may be something I try and see if it helps.  There's a trader joe's about 5 minutes from where I live so it wouldn't be hard to acquire.   

I'll try and add dates to my signature here in a bit.

I took 10mg Escitalopram once a day for 4 years, last dose on January 31st, 2018.

• ChessieCat changed the title to MountainManGuy: Escitalopram 10mg
  • Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, MountainManGuy said:

Why do they even prescribe the medicine if they don't fully understand it, or do they just not have the time to fully explain it all to me?  

Because the information they have is what the pharmaceutical companies tell them.  Gwen Olsen was a drug representative for 15 years:

We are trained to misinform (6 minutes)

Manipulating Doctors (10 minutes)

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

You might find these topics helpful/interesting:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand your decision to stick it out without reinstating.  It is an individual decision.

Please keep in mind the previous links about non-drug methods of coping.

The withdrawal symptoms will come and go. Unfortunately, in the beginning it will be more come than go, but it will shift after a time.  This link will explain more:

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.