SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

PollyJ: Hello - I am tapering Effexor

PollyJ

I have been on Lamactil and Effexor for 11 years. Two years ago I stated saying to my Dr. that I want to go off meds, etc.  I think I fell into the belief system that if I went off meds my life would spiral out of control. I was genuinely scared. After reading different accounts of tapering (good and bad) I decided to start with getting off of Effexor. Every two weeks I've reduced by 37.5 mgs.  I was taking 225 mgs. I am now down to 37.5 per day and notice irritation and being quick to anger. I'm positive that exercise and good sleep are critical to this process. I've had days that I've felt amazing. The closer I get to zero though the more irritated I am. I'm going to stay on 37.5 for 3 weeks and then stop completely. I'm wobbly through this whole catharsis. I'm also excited and scared.  I look forward to being off Effexor completely.  I can't say exactly when I could have stopped taking this drug yet my gut tells me it was probably a while ago.  Back to present moment... I'm elated to have found this forum.  Any input on the last bits of tapering off Effexor are welcomed and encouraged.  Thank you very much.

250 mgs of Lamactil from 2007 to present

Systematically tapered for 7 months off 225 mgs of Effexor 

OFF EFFEXOR COMPLETELY JULY 11, 2018

• ChessieCat changed the title to PollyJ: Hello - I am tapering Effexor
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi PollyJ and welcome to SA,

It's great that you have been tapering your Effexor and haven't gone off it cold turkey.  However you are going a lot quicker than SA's recommended protocol.  The fact that you are experiencing irritation and quick tempered are withdrawal symptoms and are signs that you are going too fast.  You may be experiencing other withdrawal symptoms which you aren't attributing to reducing your drug too quickly.  Please see the withdrawal symptoms in the list of links below.

We ask all members to create a drug signature.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  Please keep it nice and simple.  We only need details for the last 2 years.  Date, drug and dose only, no symptoms or diagnoses.  The other years can just be an overview.  

This is the preferred format which is helpful for the mods.  Thank you.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 2 years particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold at that dose for about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  This is because psychiatric drugs create a physiological dependence, not physical like caffeine or nicotine.  We have members here who have gone too quickly off their drug and some have ended up having to leave work, some have ended up bed bound, some have had to move in with family and some have had their relationship break up.  I'm not telling this to frighten you, but to help you to understand that getting off psychiatric drugs needs to be taken seriously.

If your symptoms are unbearable you could make a small updose to reduce the withdrawal symptoms.  If you would like to do this we can suggest how much to increase by.  If you feel that you can tolerate your symptoms it is strongly recommended that you hold on your current dose for a while.  Possibly anywhere from 3-6 months to allow your brain to catch up.  After this time you could then commence tapering by 10% every 4 weeks.

Also, jumping off from 37.5mg is way too high.  Many members find that the lower their dose gets the slower they need to go, tapering by less than 10% and/or holding for longer.

Patience is needed to get off these drugs.  We suggest throwing out the calendar and listening to your body and your symptoms.  If after 4 weeks you don't feel stable, are unwell or life circumstances are a bit more stressful than usual (for example the Christmas period, winter time, or job change) it is better to stay at that dose for a bit longer until things settle down.

I'm going to give you lots of links to check out.  Please don't feel overwhelmed, just work your way through them one at a time as you feel able.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

When to end the taper and jump to zero?

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Keep Notes on Paper

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

Tapering Calculator - Online

The only supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  Try a small amount one at a time to see how you react.  It is best to make only 1 change at a time.  It is also better not to start taking a complex vitamin because if you experience issues you will not know what exactly is causing it.  B vitamins can be stimulating especially B6.  hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex  If trying anything new, start with a small amount to see how you react and build up to the recommended amount.  

Even with a careful and slow taper you will most likely experience times of discomfort.  It is best to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

There are many existing topics and discussions on this site.  You can use the site search function on the main page of the site at the top right, or use a search engine and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search string.

As I said, lots of information, but I really want you to have what you need so you can have a successful taper.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  We suggest that members visit each others Intro topics so that can support and encourage each other.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you very much. I appreciate all of your input. I just spent time creating my signature with dosages and dates, etc. 

I'll stay at this dose for a while.

• Administrator

Welcome, PollyJ.

Yes, please take a break from drug changes and let us know how you're doing over the weeks.

The last leg can be the most difficult. Let your nervous system rest up for the journey. You probably will want to count beads for your next reduction, see Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I would certainly hold, Polly J.

I have over 15 years experience of effexor.  Have a look at my graphs on my own thread.  I went down to zero - too fast - in c2006 before the knowledge available on this site was accessible.  One of the snags of reduction is that you can feel really good & a bit manic and energetic on projects, etc, then you are hit by a downer and crash.

We are all different, of course, and I hope you will be further on in getting better before long.

Best wishes.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Wishing you the best. I am also tapering off Effexor and I have heard its a really tough one because it leaves your system so quickly. Highly recommend just buying a scale because counting beads is nonsense (I tried this for a day or so and they ended up everywhere!) 

2014 Effexor 225 mg, 2015- Paxil then back to Effexor (attempted to taper too quickly by half for 2 weeks) returned to 150 mg of Effexor, 2016 -March 2018 Effexor XR 150 mg (generic), March 2018– 135 mg Effexor XR,  4/9/18- 121.5 mg, 5/12/18- 101.25 mg, 5/29/18- 91.12, 6/9/18- 75 mg, 6/30/18- 60 mg, 7/12/18- 45 mg, 10/8/18-40.5 mg, 10/29/18 36.45 mg, 11/1/18- 30.25 mg, 12/9/18 25.7 mg
2/24/19- 20.56 mg, 3/16/19- 45 mg, 5/6/19-40.5, 6/8/19-36.45 7/19- 32.8- 8/19-29.5

My scale arrived yesterday and I can already see how those tiny little beads are tough to wrangle. I look forward to using it late next week. Will keep everyone posted! 

@Grayskies Can you tell me how you are tapering with the scale?  When you went from 135 mg to 121.5, how did you come up with that # of mgs ?  Also, I've noticed that at higher doses tapering does not feel that challenging. I noticed feeling wonky and slightly out of it.  Yet, no terrible withdrawal symptoms like I've read here. I'm still committed to going slowly to zero

I've also read here that people taper off of more than one drug at a time. Instinctively, I feel going off one at a time makes the most sense. I'm tapering off Effexor and am still taking 250 mgs lamictal. Has anyone gone off this combo at the same time?

Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

As others have advised, you need to hold for quite a while to let your system stabilize after dropping from 75 to 37.5.

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time.  Otherwise, if problems develop you won't know which drug taper is causing it.  Effexor is an activating drug (or accelerator) as explained in the following link, and it is the drug you should be tapering first.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Tapering the higher doses is often easier than at the low end.  Even so, you don't need a challenge but rather to be gentle with yourself.  I'm reposting a link that ChessieCar provided earlier.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please be aware that sometime withdrawal symptoms don't appear immediately after a too-fast taper.

In sum,
1. Hold for several months to stabilize.
2. Taper by no more than 10% per month.
3. Don't taper Lamictal now.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Gridley - Thanks so much for your message. Staying at 37.5 for a month has been my plan since joining this forum. This isn't set in stone and if I feel like more time is needed I'm not in a rush. If I followed my psychiatrists advice I'd be at 0 already two weeks ago. Your response makes total sense regarding the second taper off lamictal. Another general question is: how long do people generally wait in-between tapering off one drug and starting a taper on the second drug? Thank you.

2 hours ago, PollyJ said:

@Grayskies Can you tell me how you are tapering with the scale?  When you went from 135 mg to 121.5, how did you come up with that # of mgs ?  Also, I've noticed that at higher doses tapering does not feel that challenging. I noticed feeling wonky and slightly out of it.  Yet, no terrible withdrawal symptoms like I've read here. I'm still committed to going slowly to zero

I've also read here that people taper off of more than one drug at a time. Instinctively, I feel going off one at a time makes the most sense. I'm tapering off Effexor and am still taking 250 mgs lamictal. Has anyone gone off this combo at the same time?

Thanks!

Hi pollyj

this is 10% of the current dose (that is the recommendation of this site). So I went 150 - 135 -121.5. Even at this slow rate I notice how easy it is for me to feel more affected emotionally. Physical symptoms have been minimal for me. I often find myself fearful that maybe I just need these meds after all.. just one day at a time.. my therapist suggested I try to sweat more which helps the detox (sauna, exercise). Hoping it gets easier in the summer then?

2014 Effexor 225 mg, 2015- Paxil then back to Effexor (attempted to taper too quickly by half for 2 weeks) returned to 150 mg of Effexor, 2016 -March 2018 Effexor XR 150 mg (generic), March 2018– 135 mg Effexor XR,  4/9/18- 121.5 mg, 5/12/18- 101.25 mg, 5/29/18- 91.12, 6/9/18- 75 mg, 6/30/18- 60 mg, 7/12/18- 45 mg, 10/8/18-40.5 mg, 10/29/18 36.45 mg, 11/1/18- 30.25 mg, 12/9/18 25.7 mg
2/24/19- 20.56 mg, 3/16/19- 45 mg, 5/6/19-40.5, 6/8/19-36.45 7/19- 32.8- 8/19-29.5

I can't remember the last time I was this active. I have to sweat and sweat a lot almost every day. It's an amazing release and helps me feel more balanced. Don't give up to the belief system that you are doomed to meds for your whole life. It truly may not be the case. Fear is what kept me from starting this process for far too long.  Thanks very much for your responses. You help and I appreciate it. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Regarding how long to wait after finishing one taper and starting another, at least three months.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you!

• 3 months later...

After 11 years of being on Effexor, I am done. 0 mgs. No Mas. I, like so many here, had the shocking realization that my doctor didn't know that her recommended 37.5 mg taper every two weeks was harmful. It was reckless and unprofessional.

Thank you for this forum, I am deeply grateful. Thank you for being here, period.  I learned how to taper because of SSAD. It was hard though. I had the luxury of not having to work during this time because of my husband's medical issues. Everything came down to food, exercise and sleep. I had to sweat a lot. I learned to meditate. Had some terrible days. I mean truly crap days. Often I would extend tapers at a certain mg. I listened to my body even when I didn't want to. I feel cautiously optimistic. I'm really looking forward to the next 3-4 months to see how balanced and peaceful I am. Eventually, probably in 6 months or so, and I am in no rush, I will start to taper off of Lamictal. That's a whole new adventure on the horizon.  I'll be back. 

5 minutes ago, Liamb123456 said:

Well done 👍🏻 do you have any withdrawals symptoms now 

I don't! I did have about 4 days of very light brain zaps. For some reason, daily, around 4 PM,  I felt slightly off and experienced the last of the zap sensations. This faded to no zaps and the afternoon dip disappeared altogether. I can not stress how awful I used to feel if I missed a dose by mistake when I was at 225 mgs.- the brain zaps were debilitating. My day was wrecked and it took 24 hours to stabilize. Not anymore, though. Not anymore.

Congrats Polly! 

À question for you...did you have fluctuations with your emotions? Like going from being numb and dead to feeling things again? 

OK, I lied... Two questions... How long did you taper and at what rate? 

Thanks!

Dec 2016 Risperidone 1 mg, Seroquel 25mg, Latuda 40mg 

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Mar - Apr 2017 Aripiprazole (abilify) 10 mg

Apr 2017 - July 2017 Olanzapine (zyprexa) 5 mg tapered to 0mg

Oct 2017 - Present Effexor 37.5mg and Prozac 10mg 

Thank you! 

I tapered over a 5.5 month period. Everyone is different - this is my personal experience. I'm not recommending anything, just sharing what I did. The rate of taper initially was per my Dr.'s recommendation of decreasing 37.5 mgs every two weeks. Once I got below 150 mgs I needed to intensely focus on self care. Some of the tapers lasted a month while others were two weeks. My timeline on my signature is unclear because I wasn't recording every taper.  I found the closer I got too zero that harder it was. I did experience fluctuations with my emotions. Through this forum I understood this to be a red flag and to slow my taper. I definitely went from numb to feeling again and it was and is amazing. I didn't realize what a thick grey curtain had surrounded and digested me for many years. To feel again was and is incredible. I bought a jeweler's scale and started weighing out the beads when I went below 37.5 mgs. You can buy gel caps on amazon, too. I also learned this from this forum. This was critical. I highly recommend this route. The 10% always worked for me. However, there were some dosage's that were 2 week periods because I felt stabilized - and others went for a month. This is the part of tapering that is subjective and so personal I feel it warrants the same disclaimer as above; this is what I did and it may not work for others. The great news is I'm off! I had no idea of the difficulty and how toxic Effexor is. I've learned so much in a short period of time. I've attached an article from the New York Times that I found revealing. If you have any other questions I'll respond as soon as I can. This can be done!

Many People Taking Antidepressants Discover They Cannot Quit - The New York Times.pdf

Well, I was delighted to see this, Polly, and have my fingers firmly crossed for you.

Please do be cautious, though.  I got down to zero Effexor once, 12 years ago, but had to reinstate due to the nasty con this treacherous drug plays.

Anecdotally, and from my own experience, too-rapid tapering regularly appears to come back and bite.

I felt euphoric and was more active than I had been, too.

Currently, I am on 75mg having tapered from 225mg two years ago.

Best wishes.

Born 1945. 

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Thank you, Peng, very much. What was your timeframe when you tapered last? It’s extraordinary how powerful Effexor is. Who knew?  I guess “rapid” is a relative term for people. Of course I hope to never see another capsule or bead of this drug ever again. How long were you off completely before you reinstated? 

Congratulations PollyJ.  What an achievement. 

I am wishing you on going healing over the next few months.

Hibari

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Thank you very much, Hbari. 

**hibari. 

PollyJ,  I think I was at zero in 2006- ish for only a short time - maybe a month or less.  (See my graph on page 3 of my own thread.) Of course, I did not know anything about tapering, via, say, SA website in those days.

My most recent taper over the last 2 years has been from 225mg to c56mg with updose back to 75mg after a relapse in May and June.

Hoping to maintain at 75mg at the most.  Been on this dose since 1st July.

Born 1945. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to PollyJ: Effexor free!
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 7/22/2018 at 10:00 AM, PollyJ said:

After 11 years of being on Effexor, I am done. 0 mgs.

Congratulations!  This is certainly worth celebrating.  Because you have gone off Effexor so quickly it would probably be worthwhile not commencing your Lamictal taper for at least 3 months.  Holding for 6 months would possibly be even better.

The topic you posted in the Success forum has been merged with your Intro because you are still taking Lamictal and it keeps your history in one place.

I wish you well with your Lamictal taper.  At least now you have the knowledge and support that you need to do this more slowly than your Effexor taper.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you! And yes, I planned on 6 months...  

"Eventually, probably in 6 months or so, and I am in no rush, I will start to taper off of Lamictal. That's a whole new adventure on the horizon.  I'll be back." 

Hi Chessie Cat - Your post...  Why not just keep it to congratulations? 

well done on becoming effexor free but make sure you keep your guard up as effexor is known for its delayed withdrawal, I tapered it for almost a year and was fine for 3 months after the last dose and then withdrawal hit, if i was you I would not taper the lamactil until you know you are clear of any effexor withdrawals,

keep up the healing and take care

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

10 minutes ago, dj2010 said:

well done on becoming effexor free but make sure you keep your guard up as effexor is known for its delayed withdrawal

So true. I tapered off 37.5 mg Effexor over six months last year and realise now that the problems I encountered after being off it were most likely directly related to Effexor withdrawal.

Effexor XR 75mg 1997-2012 

Effexor XR 37.5mg 2012-2017 (tapered off over six months - finished taper July 2017)

SCA Aug 12th, 2017

Cymbalta 30mg Aug 2017 - Nov 2017 (CT Nov. 17th for medical reasons)

Metoprolol 50mg Aug 2017 - Feb 2019 tapered down to 25mg June 2019 then tapered down to zero. Off Metoprolol as of Jan 2020        

Amiodarone (anti-arrhythmic med) 200mg Nov 2017- May 2018

Supplements: Omega 3, vitamin D3, magnesium

What helps me: Manual lymphatic drainage massage, acupressure, meditation, homeopathy (my psychiatrist is also a certified homeopath), a healthy diet when possible organic, yoga, walking my dogs every day and gardening.

9 hours ago, PollyJ said:

Hi Chessie Cat - Your post...  Why not just keep it to congratulations? 

PollyJ,

many of us on here will regard ChessieCat's advice as sound and with only your best interests at heart.  We know where she is coming from.  Just sayin'.

Love & best wishes.

Born 1945. 

• Altostrata changed the title to PollyJ: Hello - I am tapering Effexor
  • Administrator

Congratulations, Polly!

What is your lamotrigine schedule now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you very much!! I’m not going to start tapering again for at least 5-6 months from now. Are you in a taper now?

• 1 month later...

I'm off Effexor for 2 months now. All of the self care I implemented while tapering is as critical now as it was before. Tapering off antidepressants has truly been a lifestyle change. There is no resting on my laurels.  The great news is life has been quite good. I feel good. As long as I keep exercising, eating well and meditating my day to day mental state is balanced. Being human, of course I don't do things perfectly all the time. However, I'm reminded I've learned what I need to do to feel better and eventually I do that.   I just wanted to check in and say hi. I'm forever grateful to this forum.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks is a great report, PollyJ.  Please keep us updated.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• 10 months later...

I'll be a year tomorrow that I've been Effexor free. I haven't missed it. While tapering off was awful, I've been doing well. I feel good. I'm relieved not to have Effexor in my life. I've reduced lamictal from 225 to 200.  For me, lamictal could be a long term medication. As enthusiastic as I was to be med free I'm not so sure how I'd do without lamictal.  Going down 25 mgs was hard so I have stayed at 200 for 7 months now. I'm ok with it. If there is a time when I want to start lowering my daily intake I feel confident I'll know whether or not  I can tolerate it and be heathy.