The only thing that worked - Jesus

ReturningToHope

To anyone who reads this,

If you're feeling desperate or at your breaking point please read this and have an open mind because I know I was on the verge of giving up and this saved my life. 

I grew up believing in new age spirituality because my mother was involved in it and in general I thought Christians were narrow minded hypocrites.. and many are.. but those aren't real Christians at all. 

I thought Jesus had just been an incredible 'teacher'. I'd never read the Bible and thought it was dogmatic and flawed because it had been written by men. 

.. if it hadn't been for antidepressant drug withdrawal that broke me to a point I emotionally and physically couldn't bear I would probably still believe this.

But I count this nightmare we've all had to endure as a gift now because it made me desperate enough to say "God if you're real, show me somehow.. show me what the Truth is.." practically with my face touching the floor. I'm not even sure where those words came from exactly but over the next week or so I came to the most profound understanding (I was lead to one thing after another) that this Bible I'd written off my whole life and this man whose name I heard a million times and I used as a casual swear word was actually who He said He was.... and I am the least likely human being to ever come to that conclusion and believe me I didn't even want to. But once I did and asked for forgiveness and for Jesus to come into my heart I have had a level of strength I have improved enough and gained a huge amount of endurance to handle this.

you have nothing to lose by getting humble like I did and calling out to him and asking to be shown.. the worst that can happen is nothing. But I promise you He answers 

2011: Started Zoloft (Sertraline, 25 mg) 

2013: Added Strattera and CT'd after about 2 months because of adverse reaction 

2017: Began slow taper of sertraline at 2 mg per month.. got to 5 month mark. Made mistakes and missed doses.

W/D destabilization caused adverse reaction upon taking it. Was forced to CT remaining 15 mg 

Now (Jan. 2018): 3 months off (psych med free) and in the depths of severe W/D

• ChessieCat changed the title to The only thing that worked - Jesus
  • Moderator Emeritus

Here is the link to ReturningToHope's intro topic:  

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 5 months later...

Great post! I love Jesus too.  I believe he is real and is amazing.  I pray to god everynight and I imagine him on my side praying with me along with Paramahansa Yogananda, and Baba Neem Karoli.  I use to feel like everytime I would go to church I would always find the negatives with it.  Why it is wrong and what I do and dont believe.  Now I just find the love and beautiful side of it all.  Its all a learning experience and I think when people let Jesus into there hearts (not the church dogma but the love he endures) alot of people can find true peace.  When I have been focused on God and my spiritual journey I have been my happiest.  Not sure how sometimes I get dragged back into the nonsense.

My whole problem was health anxiety that lead me into my mess and I think maybe and I was fearful of death or anything going wrong with me.  Once you know in your heart that our body only dies and not the true "self" it brings alot of comfort and sometimes I get excited to think what will come on the other side.  We are all here for a reason, some say to progress our soul and to learn, some say to love, but whatever the reason is WE are MORE then depression or anxiety.  We are growing and learning for something bigger and better then anything we can possibly imagine.

February 2017 started Ambien (Whatever the highest dose was) and Ativan 1.5mg

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

April 2018 started reduced Lexapro.  15mg-12.5mg.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

On 4/8/2018 at 1:35 AM, ReturningToHope said:

To anyone who reads this,

If you're feeling desperate or at your breaking point please read this and have an open mind because I know I was on the verge of giving up and this saved my life. 

I grew up believing in new age spirituality because my mother was involved in it and in general I thought Christians were narrow minded hypocrites.. and many are.. but those aren't real Christians at all. 

I thought Jesus had just been an incredible 'teacher'. I'd never read the Bible and thought it was dogmatic and flawed because it had been written by men. 

.. if it hadn't been for antidepressant drug withdrawal that broke me to a point I emotionally and physically couldn't bear I would probably still believe this.

But I count this nightmare we've all had to endure as a gift now because it made me desperate enough to say "God if you're real, show me somehow.. show me what the Truth is.." practically with my face touching the floor. I'm not even sure where those words came from exactly but over the next week or so I came to the most profound understanding (I was lead to one thing after another) that this Bible I'd written off my whole life and this man whose name I heard a million times and I used as a casual swear word was actually who He said He was.... and I am the least likely human being to ever come to that conclusion and believe me I didn't even want to. But once I did and asked for forgiveness and for Jesus to come into my heart I have had a level of strength I have improved enough and gained a huge amount of endurance to handle this.

you have nothing to lose by getting humble like I did and calling out to him and asking to be shown.. the worst that can happen is nothing. But I promise you He answers 

Thank you for this wonderful post. I’m struggling more than ever! I can’t seem to get my head right after ADs and maybe this is just how I live after ADs? I was on for 2.5 yrs and stopped a few months ago and I’m literally at my lowest point right now. I don’t know what to do and I’m thinking maybe I should get back on Celexa bc at least I was happier. I mean are they sooo bad? 

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

• 4 weeks later...

wondering the same thing.

September 2014 to July 2015 - 20 mg Lexapro, 30mg Mirtazipine

August 2015 to November 2016- 10mg Lexapro, 30 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 - 10mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2017 to Mach 2018 - 5mg/2.5mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Mach 2018 to Dec. 2018 - 0mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Hey, I'm happy you've been able to open your heart in the depths of suffering. I've been there a few times this year, literally on my knees begging to be saved. I was never religious at all, and only felt an urge to connect spiritually after years of mental suffering. At that time it was mostly through Buddhism. Since the withdrawal episodes, Jesus has come into my mind a lot more, which was surprising at first. Now in the throws of w/d I often call upon him, Buddha, Neem Karoli Baba (as @Idlehnds mentioned too!), archangel Michael, or sometimes Source itself. It's interesting how your guru can appear in different forms in different powerful experiences. Thank you for sharing x

2008-2013 - Various meds on and off since age 18 incl. Sertraline, Prozac, Mirtazipine, Abilify. Prescribed for severe OCD.

CT'd several times over these years and reinstated after subsequent psych hospitalisations.

2014-2015 - Clomipramine, quetiapine and Epilum

2015-Jan 2017 - Prozac 40mg (stopped contraceptive pill, most stable period of time)

(Beginning of taper) Jan-October 2017 - Tapered Prozac to zero.

15 Jan 2018 - Reinstated Prozac at 2mg due to acute w/d symptoms

February 2018 - tapered to 1.8mg

May 2018 - reinstated at 5mg due to severe w/d symptoms. 9 month hold, stabilized well at around 6/7 months.

March 2019 - Tapered to 4.9mg

Current supplements: fish oils, probiotic, ashwaganda, colostrum powder, cannabis

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 4/8/2018 at 1:35 AM, ReturningToHope said:

I'm not even sure where those words came from exactly but over the next week or so I came to the most profound understanding (I was lead to one thing after another) that this Bible I'd written off my whole life and this man whose name I heard a million times and I used as a casual swear word was actually who He said He was.... and I am the least likely human being to ever come to that conclusion and believe me I didn't even want to. But once I did and asked for forgiveness and for Jesus to come into my heart I have had a level of strength I have improved enough and gained a huge amount of endurance to handle this.

I totally am on the same page with you, ReturningToHope.  I believe in Jesus, that he came to this earth, lived the perfect sinless life, and died a horrific death on a cross to pay the punishment for our sins, then rose again to life in 3 days, and is now in heaven.  He has given me the strength to get through this very tough withdrawal from these horrible drugs.  I believe that someday I'll have a wonderful life in heaven that will make up for all the suffering we go through with this process.  Praying and reading the Bible really helps me cope.  I feel His love, peace and joy, and that gives me the ability to endure.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy