☼ bluepm: Prozac off after nine months

bluepm

Hi Bluepm--  I'll answer here, because via PM is not a good way to get tapering advise.  Here we have all your information in one place and can keep an accurate eye on what is going on.  You are experiencing a good case of withdrawal syndrome from making too large a cut 8 weeks ago.  The symptoms you describe are pretty normal for someone who has gone too fast.  Do not go back up to 7.5mg, after eight weeks that would be much too large an increase and will probably trip off even worse symptoms. A small updose to say, 4mg possibly will help ease your symptoms.  There may be some overnight relief but it could take several days to kick in.  The big thing is to not panic and roll with it as best as you can, things will eventually settle and you'll start to feel better. For right now don't make any rash decisions.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bluepm

• Altostrata

• brassmonkey

• Erell

21 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Bluepm--  I'll answer here, because via PM is not a good way to get tapering advise.  Here we have all your information in one place and can keep an accurate eye on what is going on.  You are experiencing a good case of withdrawal syndrome from making too large a cut 8 weeks ago.  The symptoms you describe are pretty normal for someone who has gone too fast.  Do not go back up to 7.5mg, after eight weeks that would be much too large an increase and will probably trip off even worse symptoms. A small updose to say, 4mg possibly will help ease your symptoms.  There may be some overnight relief but it could take several days to kick in.  The big thing is to not panic and roll with it as best as you can, things will eventually settle and you'll start to feel better. For right now don't make any rash decisions.

I am having  another though day  I up dosed 4 mg  last via liquid    I took 15 mg pill let it  de-solve in water   pulled out 4 ml's.

buspar  7/16 to 4/17  does  45 mg, 30 mg , 15mg then 60 mg  stopped did not like the side effects  tapered 

paxil    10 mg 10 /16  11 / 16 bad reaction  stopped  

xanax  .25 mg as needed   10 /16  30 days  only stopped 

ativan  1/17 1 mg 30 days supply  tapper off   the best i could  1/16/18  stopped 
prozac  4/16 to  1/17    20 mg start   then 6 months 40 mgs then down  10/17 to 20 mgs   off 2/17 bad reaction  stopped 

klonopin  .5  three daily   as needed  took .5 for 30 days when getting   on Prozac 5/1/17 stopped   then started again  1/2/18 to 4/10 stopped by tapering over 30 days down to .125 a day. though time, but  better now stopped 

Mertizipine   11/16 to present started 15 mg  at 7.5 mg  4/17 to  7/18 ,  7/4/18   3.5 mg  skipping does  the plan was to go off it while on  Prozac  but  it never worked    back on 7.5 mg 

• Administrator

Hi, bluepm. How much water did you use to dissolve the 15mg tablet?

It can take 4 days or more for a dosage change to reach full effect.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

15 ml of water  

buspar  7/16 to 4/17  does  45 mg, 30 mg , 15mg then 60 mg  stopped did not like the side effects  tapered 

ativan  1/17 1 mg 30 days supply  tapper off   the best i could  1/16/18  stopped 
prozac  4/16 to  1/17    20 mg start   then 6 months 40 mgs then down  10/17 to 20 mgs   off 2/17 bad reaction  stopped 

klonopin  .5  three daily   as needed  took .5 for 30 days when getting   on Prozac 5/1/17 stopped   then started again  1/2/18 to 4/10 stopped by tapering over 30 days down to .125 a day. though time, but  better now stopped 

Mertizipine   11/16 to present started 15 mg  at 7.5 mg  4/17 to  7/18 ,  7/4/18   3.5 mg  skipping does  the plan was to go off it while on  Prozac  but  it never worked    back on 7.5 mg 

• Administrator

Did the 4mg have any effect? What time did you take it? Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

last night  i was fine no anxious  walked the dogs 2 miles 45 mins  and eat  a lot.   i  am anxious this morning but not as bad  not eating   i take mert. at 10 pm ever night   i have advised my  DR  what i am doing all he said take it slow  and  i am going see him on 21 st.  one thing  he has said to  me was some people do good AP and some do not.  I asked for a beta blocker  he prescribe  60 ml extended release propanol    at first he did not recommend it  after called him yesterday  he proscribe it .  i still think i might have residual effect from   the z- drug its  been 120 days  off i feel a lot better being off it  every day is getting better being off it   

So far  i did not take  megnsumum  250 mg  can this make you anxious  trying to eliminate things

I am  reading  hope and help for your nerves by  dr weeks   

i did not take any bate -blocker  still sitting the bench on this one I don't if interfere with any thing.

any words off experience out there ?   

I need help had pretty good weekend  had  a lot activities    it seemed like every day  got worse got   on 4 mg mert.  in the morning,  sleep was not bad  still eating very light.   I took the bate -blocker  60 milligrams extended  release today first  one  it seemed to take of the edge.  i wood like to increase mert dosage back 7. 5 ml grams and hold for a while  I think  my i have wd from z-drug i took for few months   i am  120 days off.  Staying mert would be helpful for additional time for  my gaba respirators to heal.

any comments 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, bluepm said:

I need help had pretty good weekend  had  a lot activities    it seemed like every day  got worse got   on 4 mg mert.  in the morning,  sleep was not bad  still eating very light.   i wood like to increase mert dosage back 7. 5 ml grams and hold for a while  I think  my i have wd from z-drug i took for few months   i am  120 days off.  Staying mert would be helpful for additional time for  my gaba respirators to heal.

Hi blue,

Holding is almost always a good idea. It allows the system to make needed repairs without added stress of additional tapering. 

In most cases, picking a dose and sticking with it is the best way to stabilize. 

And yes, there can definitely unfortunately be withdrawal from taking a z-drug for a few months. 

Glad you're reading the Claire Weeks book. She can come across as judgmental, but I think her take-home message is that rest is key, and that we all have the capacity to heal. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

I need some help    I  am still taking 3.75  mg  mert.  in the evening  at 10 pm . i am still having   anxiety in the  morning and in the evenings i feel  better with no anxiety or manageable .

I started taking propanlol   60 mg extended release on Monday has  not helped with my anxiety in the morning but has help with my sleep  more  restful. i don't plan taking it for ever .

can anyone offer  some  advise here i know nobody doctor here but might have experience with propanlol . I am going to visit my DR on Tuesday he against me taking any additional poly-drugs .    

• Moderator Emeritus

hi bluepm,,

6 hours ago, bluepm said:

I need some help    I  am still taking 3.75  mg  mert.  in the evening  at 10 pm . i am still having   anxiety in the  morning and in the evenings i feel  better with no anxiety or manageable .

I started taking propanlol   60 mg extended release on Monday has  not helped with my anxiety in the morning but has help with my sleep  more  restful. i don't plan taking it for ever .

can anyone offer  some  advise here i know nobody doctor here but might have experience with propanlol . I am going to visit my DR on Tuesday he against me taking any additional poly-drugs .    

You can search the site for information on what you're now taking. I'm not familiar with that drug.

While it's certainly your decision to change or add drugs, we really are set up for helping people who are coming off their drugs. So switching drugs, adding something new, that would really need to be monitored by your doctor.

What non-drug coping techniques are you developing to deal with anxiety?

There are many ideas on this site. 

I might not be able to check back for a few days. But please answer these questions here and continue working on non-drug coping techniques (if coming off is still your goal).

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

yes my goal is to  be drug free   

How do we  know if  we have chemical  anxiety  vs  regular anxiety ? 

off the  propanlol   60 mg extended release i told DR its really not doing anything  he told me to stop taking it. 

• Administrator
On 8/9/2018 at 2:40 PM, Altostrata said:

Did the 4mg have any effect? What time did you take it? Please let us know how you're doing.

How long did you take 4mg mirtazapine? What was the effect it had on you?

What is your daily symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Didn't you say the propanolol helped you sleep?

Please read Beta Blockers: Propranolol, Metopropol, Atenolol etc

i was 4 mg mert. for four days  nothing really changed.  

Propanolol helped you sleep yes and no  did few nights but not past few nights  i think when was taking in the  morning it causing more  problems  i think one side effect is depression. 

i think its  better change my  thinking to reduce my anxiety . please email  site link for this subject on the site.

as stated before i seem to better evenings not morings 

• Administrator

Please stop switching and changing your drugs. When you throw in drugs and drop them, it can change your symptom pattern. Some of the symptoms you attribute to one drug may be the effect of changing a different drug.

It would take at least 4 days and maybe more for an increase in mirtazapine dosage to fully register in your nervous system. You quit it too early.

If the propanolol helped you sleep, you might take it at night instead of in the morning. The point is to restore your sleep, isn't it?

If you want help here, we need your daily drug schedule and symptom pattern:

16 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What is your daily symptom pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

You may have to do this on a tablet or computer rather than a phone.

What do you mean by

6 minutes ago, bluepm said:

please email  site link for this subject.

You can change your e-mail notifications in your site Settings.

Ok  you are right  i made mistake taking propanolol  i wanted for the anxiety  did not help I  did not take  for  sleep.  i don't think it  help  at all  i did not feel effects. I get it now stop  introducing   additional  rx .  

My daily  symptoms are anxiety in the morning with negative thinking   eating less 

by the evening i fine the anxiety has subsided  

I have no psychical systems   

I take mert. at 10 pm every night. 

that how its been since 7/15/18  believe it or not i have few windows  

I got better in the may and june  as soon  as i stated cutting  on mert. in  July  around 17 of july  pounced anxiety  came back. 

what do  you suggest i do  about  taking mert.  staying 3.75 mg  and hold  ?

do you  link for anxiety tips how to reduce anxiety 

• Administrator

What is your sleep pattern?

Please keep taking 3.75mg mirtazepine at the same time each night. THIRD REQUEST:

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Also see Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

my sleep is pretty good  i go bed 10 ;pm :1030 pm  and wake  between 4;30, 5 am  sometimes wake middle of night  but go back to sleep   but i was always early riser  for  past 31 years working .

i  am working on  my anxiety  coping skills    i worried for 31 years i would lose my job  still working for the same company .  i was always anxious but  the last  3 years  i had have some trauma that caused  me  irrational thinking  anxiety .

i was just running  round to  a few stores and was anxious told my self you are no danger and that anxiety  w/d off the drugs.  it worked 

i can't believe this happening to me i  been have sober  for 33 years    .

but  i feel confident  i am going turn thing  around  i have no choice 

I need some help  i am restless  Sunday was bad Monday and Tuesday was good i took 60 ml of propanolol  i was good    at rest .   I took the propanolol today i am still restless.

any feed  back from  any one 

i am suffering from  heavy breathing is that from  w/d .

• Administrator

What do you mean by heavy breathing, when does this occur, how long does it last?

On 8/17/2018 at 4:29 PM, bluepm said:

my sleep is pretty good  i go bed 10 ;pm :1030 pm  and wake  between 4;30, 5 am  sometimes wake middle of night  but go back to sleep   but i was always early riser  for  past 31 years working .

When do you take your drugs? Do you have other symptoms during the day? I need to see your drug schedule and symptom pattern, all together, like a diary. There are too many people here for me to remember when they take their drugs.

Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:29 PM, bluepm said:

i was just running  round to  a few stores and was anxious told my self you are no danger and that anxiety  w/d off the drugs.  it worked 

That is excellent. Keep doing that.

not  the best writer all my life

this past week 

all days eating poorly

all days concentration poor 

all days inner restlessness  some not there because of the propanlol 

all wake  3;30 am 4;30  bed 10 pm  sleep 5 to 6 hours 

all days heavy breathing  off and on  in morning 

this past Saturday

8 : am barber shop  had anxiety

9 ; came  home anxiety gone 

12 pm went maceys bought  furniture for  my daughter    i am flat 

3 pm had  negative thoughts     do not engage  them

went shopping grocery store

emotional spiral  window  saying to myself what wast the past 1 1/2 year has been 

6 pm walk dogs  3miles

9 pm watch tv  relaxed 

10pm take 3.75 mert  gp sleep

sunday 

woke at 3;30 am 

bad day  one big wave  heavy breathing  off and on 

exhausting negative thoughts  don't not engage  them

11;30 am went zoo for a company picnic 

4 pm could not drive the  car back from the zoo 

7 pm walk  the dogs  4 miles

9 pm watch tv  relaxed 

Monday 

wake 4;30 am

heavy breathing  off and on 

8 ;30 am  take propanlol   60 mg extended release to settle thing down (dr ok with as need bases but take in morning 

10;30 rest off day  clam

lunch time cut grass

work utill 4 ;30 pm still clam

do house chores 

walk dogs 

9 pm watch tv  relaxed 

10pm take 3.75 mg mert  go to sleep 

Tuesday 

wake 4;30 am

8 ;30 am  take propanlol   60 mg extended release to settle thing down (

day  clam rest off day

l work util 3.00 pm still clam

see PM doctor appt.  wants me off the  meds has not problem what  I am doing  as far  tapering

do house chores 

walk dogs  3 miles

9 pm watch tv  relaxed 

10pm take 3.75 mg mert  go to sleep 

Wednesday 

woke at 3;30 am 

bad day period  one big wave  heavy breathing  off and on 

8 ;30 am  take propanlol   60 mg extended release  did  settle thing down

negative thoughts     do not engage  them

12 pm go meet my fiance consular  ( do not want go but go)

Call about doc about  propanlol   not working,  he told it does not all the time 

go shopping for grocery 

walk  the dogs  3 miles

9 pm watch tv  relaxed 

• Administrator

What do you mean by heavy breathing??

Do you feel you get enough sleep? Did you always wake in the early morning?

What symptoms do you attribute to withdrawal?

This morning I woke up at 3:30 AM and laid in bed until 4:30 AM. 

I woke up at 3:30 AM with anxiety Cortisol rush.

I slept pretty good last night to check my iPhone and I had deep sleep for about 3 hours out 6 hours

I took my beta blocker this morning has not taken any effect on me as far as calming me Down yet I’m taking it to relieve my anxiety but it has not worked the last few days the doctor told me to same thing it might not work all the time. 

I need to stabilize somehow 3.75 I’ve been taking it for over a month now it seems I’ve I’ve gotten worse instead of better 

The heavy breathing is just from the anxiety trying to calm  myself down thinking about what has caused the anxiety in the first place is these drugs. 

Right now my only concern is to stabilize and really not  concerned about geting off the drugs until I Stabilize and hold for a while

Yes I have been early riser on my life. 

They anxiety from the with drawl is a symptom as I stated before I was pretty much stabilized and a marked as a been middle of May June and early July soon as I start cutting back my anxiety came back.

i need help again     i talked over DR to reinstate to 7.5 mg mert. he said ok and said to taper as well but slowly which 1 mg a week the every other day.

I had pretty   rough weekend 

so reinstated 7.5mg  mert   8/25/18 10 pm   sleep was good 

Sunday  8/26 /18 was not a bad day at 7.5 mert. work on project  and walked the dogs slept really  well. 

Monday 8/ 27/ 18  morning anxiety started again   lasted all day

i am working all day walked the dogs this morning. 

I don't think this right time for me tapper of the mertizape  due fact that i did kind haphazard taper of z-durg  ( tapered best i could the drs were no help whats ever)  at    being of the year  5 months ago .

I think  the mert is helping counter act z-drug withdrawal effects  lingering ?

I think i need stay on mert. for awhile longer.

i need some input from someone with  experience that same  thing i am experiencing

I reinstated  7.5 mg   8/25/18 from 3.75   45 days holdng  ( fast taper not 10%)

8/26/18

5 .am  morning anxiety not bad 

2 pm better  no anxiety 

5.30 pm no anxiety

8/27 /18 

was  bad anxity  morning 

3 pm anxiety subsided

8/28/18 

was  bad anxiety  morning  heavy breathing 

7 pm anxiety subsided

eating more 

8/29/18

felt good all day like my old self again.

eating more 

by the evening i slight headach  and was tried  body aching  ( don't get headaches )   

8/30 /18 

low  anxiety  felt but no as good as  8/29/18

negative thoughts 

eating more 

its wired i am have  thoughts from the past about everything is this normal thing have't a thoughts in years  id part w/d  process ?

is possible i still  w/d from the z-drug its five months off  and mert is masking it ?

My goal is get off mert forever. 

Have question back in May and  June   also in the afternoon while i passenger in  a car  i was nodding  out   at  1 to  2 pm  i was very tried  in mornings and had to drink coffee to wake up  but now it whole different story coffee is exciting me   why ?     

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi bluepm, 

I don’t drink coffee myself but there a thread in symptoms n self care entitled Caffeine In Coffee And Tea- Tolerance Issues. 

Might be worth checking out. Everyone reacts differently to things but having a lot of caffeine probably isn’t too good when going through withdrawals as it affects the nervous system. 

Have a happy day☀️☀️☀️

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

I' m interested  to start tapering again  i back up  original dose 7.5 mg  mert. I will use the brass monkey  way at much slower pace .  i am  having  much better days since i am back up to  7.5 mg mert. since 8 25 18 

comment  please 

Hi bluepm-- you've only been at the new dose for a few weeks, it would probably be a good idea to hold for a while longer to let everything settle out before starting to taper. You need to make sure that you're good and stable first.

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

thanks  for a quick response 

have question  whats going on 

i have been keeping better notes the past couple of days  and even before the last two's days i had days were anxiety has desapated 

= anxiety in the morning

= but 3 pm  anxiety is down to 1    low  

today i  did hard work treadmill 20 mins  first one in long time 

can fish oil  cause anxiety ?  i have take last two days  as well   

whats going on ? 

please answer the question 

can my drug be causing me anxiety ?

I have keeping  daily record sysptems  take mert.  7.5 mg  10 ;30 pm  anxiety in morning in the evening i am  normal  80% of the time.   the sleep is not that great  meaning the mert does not knock me out i get up  at 3 am almost every morning.  so does this make sense to get rid of the mert.  

• 1 month later...

@brassmonkey, @Altostrata

I back i doing some what better .  i tried to get back on to  Prozac  for two weeks did not work out  to much anxiety at 5 mg and 10 mg i cut tablet apart i wanted to stabilize i have waves i think  its from z drug  I am off 8 months now do want to take any more  period .  I trying ablifiy    2 mg  split does  in half and fourths tried to take though out the day  for the past 17 days     anxiety in the morning . again some days are good and some are not i distracting as  much as possible it works. still taking mert 7.5 mg.

My goal is trying to stabilize for the  next 6 months so i get past z-drug withdrawal ?? 

I keep telling my doctor i am withdrawle  from z-durg of course he,s say   its impossible been off to long. 

going to recovery international helps whole lot "move the muscles"

My goal is trying to stabilize for the  next 6 months so i get past z-drug withdrawal ?? is this even possible ? or just bear the pain ???

Edited by ChessieCat
redcuced font

• Administrator

What symptoms do you attribute to "z-drug withdrawal"?

What happened to the mirtazapine?

When people try reinstatement of drugs such as Prozac, we recommend trying much lower dosages, such as 1mg, to start.