SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

AuntieBea: tapering Celexa and Wellbutrin

AuntieBea

Day 10 Daily Symptom Chart 10/30/19 (spacing out Wellbutrin and Celexa dose)

8:30 PM. Sleep (previous night).

1:30 AM. Woke up. Got up. Strong palpitations.

3:00 AM. Back to bed. Troubled sleep.

5:00 AM. Woke up. Strong palpitations. Headache. Agitation. Pulsing sensation throughout body.

5:30 AM. Get up. Symptoms continue.

8:00 AM. Took 100mg Wellbutrin.

8:15 AM. Breakfast.

10:30 AM. Symptoms continue. Agitation ramping up.

11:00 AM. Took 5.4mg Celexa. Intense palpitations. Agitation continues.

This is the end of notes for this day. Continued relationship issues, plus the increase of symptoms after my mistaken double dose of Wellbutrin on Monday, took me right down into a depression. I was feeling hopeless and unable to think or write. Also terrified, anticipating my appointment next day with the retinologist, wondering if I am going to be told I will lose my vision. I was catastrophizing and completely shut down by fear, anger, and despair. I did not keep my symptom notes the next day either. Was on the edge and barely able to function all morning prior to my appointment, and spent the whole afternoon actually at the appointment.

Meanwhile, as this note is written in retrospect, I am grateful and relieved to report that I received hopeful news about my eyes. In addition to my retina issue (CSC), I have secondary cataracts which are also contributing to my vision loss. I won’t know to what extent that is until that condition is remedied (laser surgery, in-office procedure). My hope of course is that there will be significant improvement in my vision. I will have to be patient now, and am challenged to remain hopeful without becoming super, overly optimistic as there is no way of knowing until the procedure is done. 

Next post will  be my symptom notes for 11/01/19 and 11/02/19.  I have continued to have increased symptoms as a result of my inadvertent overdose. The depression has backed off, but the other symptoms are quite intense at times. I know I have to give this the time it needs to resolve...but it has been a very frustrating setback. I will be grateful finally to be able to begin tapering the Wellbutrin. 

1991: Start Prozac / 1993: Stop Prozac / 1995: Restart Prozac

1997: Add Wellbutrin / 2002: CT Prozac & Wellbutrin

2004-2017: Start 10mg Celexa & 150mg Wellbutrin 

2007: Add Ativan / 2009: Stop Ativan, start Klonopin & Seroquel

2012-2013: Taper off Klonopin & Seroquel

Aug 2017: Start tapering 10mg Celexa & 150mg Wellbutrin

Apr 2018: 6.5mg Celexa & 100mg Wellbutrin

Apr 2019: 5.4mg Celexa & 100mg Wellbutrin

Nov 2019: Start tapering Wellbutrin

Sept 2020: 5.4mg Celexa & 50mg Wellbutrin

June 5, 2021: 5.4mg Celexa & 32mg Wellbutrin

Dec 2021: 5.2mg Celexa & 30mg Wellbutrin

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, AuntieBea said:

very frustrating setback

It will resolve, AuntieBea.  I'm sorry you're feeling bad.  It will resolve.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks Gridley. 

I’m having to really be patient with this....your encouragement means a lot!

Hello AuntieBea,

Sorry to see your setback is taking a little longer tna you'd like to resolve. I feel terribly for you. It is going to get better. The heart palpitations are very unpleasan t- even though we know they are part of WD.  I have had them a lot the past 10 days or so.

44 minutes ago, AuntieBea said:

I am grateful and relieved to report that I received hopeful news about my eyes.

I am happy that you have received encouraging news on your vision! That is a cause for joy. :)

I am holding positive thoughts for you.

Giulietta

Hi Bea.

First, wish you good luck with your current taper.

Your story below from 2018 is so similar to mine that it's scary, wd symptoms and patterns + isolation + outer stressors.

I too have chosen to updose to try and tackle mainly the insomnia.

Just wanted to know how long it took for the effect of the updose to kick in?

Thanks

On 4/25/2018 at 9:29 PM, AuntieBea said:

Good for you! Going out to run even with the rain!! It’s raining here as well but I haven’t had it in me to get out and do my usual walking. I hardly slept at all last night, so I’m feeling pretty low energy overall. I’ve been blind sided by this start of WD symptoms—I was eight months into this taper and doing really well when all of a sudden I started having symptoms. I’ve been proceeding very cautiously because I was aware of this possibility, but the reality of it is something else—disconcerting at best, and downright scary at worst. I’m feeling “disconnected” and emotionally numb today...it’s very strange and uncomfortable.

I made a plan today to go and stay with a friend for a while. I’m very isolated here at home, as well as exposed to many emotional triggers which are compounding my anxiety and inability to sleep. So I’m thinking that being in a neutral environment and in the company of a loving friend will probably help. 

Question...Did I read somewhere on one of your posts about there being a connection between antihistamines and UTI’s or interstitial cystitis?

Since 2009, Been on 10mg Lexapro 5 years for GAD.

CT summer 2013 - severe symptoms for 2 months but back to almost normal quickly after that.

Was on Paxil 20mg since then.

Tapering Paxil since Jul 18' using a scale- 

15mg-8.1mg - 10% every average of 3 weeks - very tolerable 

8.1mg-6.5mg 5% every 4 weeks - increase in symptoms but could manage

6.5mg-5.5mg  - 1-1.5% every week - much harder, deciding to hold from 9/29/19. Improved after a month but then outer big stressor came, so considering my acts now.

11/1/19- updosed 4% to 5.72 because of severe insomnia.

Supplements: 

Omega 3, vitamin d, iron +b12+folate, magnesium bisglycinate, b6, taurine

Meds:

Promethazine 12.5mg a day PRN.

Hello again!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I haven’t actually tapered Wellbutrin before, but I did stop taking it once CT along with Prozac in 2002 or 2003. I don’t remember how it affected me at the time, but I do remember that by 2004 I was in a crisis again and was re-started on it along with Celexa (instead of Prozac). 

One thing I have noticed for sure is that at this point because my history includes so many different drugs, on and offs, CT’s, tapering a benzo and antipsychotic, and long term use (since 1990 approx), my nervous system reacts to virtually every pharmaceutical drug that I try to use including antibiotics, dental anesthesia, steroid eye drops, blood pressure meds, etc. My CNS is so extremely sensitized that I am very cautious going forward with tapering.

Wondering...did you actually taper the Wellbutrin or just stop taking it? In you history it looks like you stopped taking it in July....

In any case, your experience of it being easier to come off of than other drugs sure does coincide with what other people have said. Still, I know that I have to approach it very conservatively to start, and then if I can comfortably speed up the process I will.

I don’t mean to be pushy at all, but want to encourage you again to go to “Introductions and updates” under “Forums”, and start a topic for yourself there. One of the moderators will welcome you to the site, introduce you to lots of helpful information, and be there to answer questions you may have and support you with your tapering process. They are incredibly knowledgeable about Antidepressant Withdrawal  Syndrome and tapering. I see that you did write up a very complete history, “About Me”. I guess it’s part of your profile or something.... Respector, I am relatively inexperienced here myself, I don’t really know my way around that well even though I have been a member for over a year and a half. I just want you to have the best possible experience here and to get the support that I imagine you are wanting, otherwise you probably wouldn’t be here! 

If you start your your own topic it will be easy for you to reach out and really take advantage of what this forum has to offer. I would love to stay in touch...we have a lot in common with our drug histories and can be helpful to one another I’m sure.  I just would like you to have the best possible experience here so that you can get to feeling better ASAP. It looks like you are suffering terribly with extreme anxiety, fatigue, etc.

Please stay in touch. We’re all here supporting one another through this terribly difficult process. You are not alone with it.

❤️ AuntieBea

Hi again aunty B!

I'm still figuring out how to use this site. I did start a topic last night just waiting for the moderators to approve it I think.

I did taper off wellbutrin but over a few weeks. It was during a cross taper attempt between celexa and zoloft and the zoloft increase was increasing my anxiety. I went from 300 to 150 for a week and felt much anxiety relief. Then went to 75 by cutting the XL 150 in half per the psychiatrist. Then 37.5 and then off from there. I cant remember how long I did each step but the whole thing was less than a month I think. I wonder if wellbutrin affects serotonin less than the SSRI's and that's what makes the taper easier. Just a theory.

Hang in there! We got this ❤️

2017-2018: 75 to 300 wellbutrin, 15mg to 7.5 mg celexa.

Jan-Apr 2019: 5mg celexa down to 2.5 mg.

May 2019: switch to zoloft 12.5 mg then 25mg. 

June 2019: zoloft up to 50 mg 

July 2019: Zoloft up to 75 mg. Anxiety through the roof. Stopped zoloft Stopped wellbutrin.

August 2019: Liquid cross taper back to zoloft. 2mg celexa, 4mg zoloft.

September 2019: 1.5mg celexa 6mg zoloft.

October 2019: 1.0 mg celexa 8mg zoloft.

November 2019: 2.5mg celexa hold no zoloft

Hi @Respector,Good morning!

I’m so relieved to hear that you got a topic started for yourself...the moderators are really busy, so I guess it’s just taking them a while to get back to you. We’ll just have to be patient....

I’m guessing that it will take me many months to finally taper off the Wellbutrin, even if it does end up going at a faster pace than the other drugs. The fast tapering pace that doctors generally recommend maybe works OK for some people, sometimes, but I have learned for myself that slow and steady wins the race in the end. Maintaining stability is the bottom line for a safe taper. At the moment my bigger frustration is not being able to start the taper at all until symptoms settle down from an inadvertent double dose last Monday. 

Thanks for your encouragement! We will get through this, all of us, I know.

I hope you hear from a moderator today....

i was up really early...not getting very much sleep lately...and then realized it was even an hour earlier than that because of the time change!!! 

I hope that you get some relief from symptoms today. You hang in there too!!!

❤️ AuntieBea

Hi @StrongEnough

Good morning!

It’s really early here. I am not getting too much sleep lately. Insomnia is such a difficult symptom in WD. It’s been going on so long for me that I have actually gotten better at coping with it...but still, it’s quite debilitating at times. Everyone on this site understands about insomnia I think.... so you are in excellent company here. 😋

9 hours ago, StrongEnough said:

Just wanted to know how long it took for the effect of the updose to kick in?

I don’t honestly remember how long it took for that updose to kick in.... I think I stabilized fairly quickly though. 

Alto will really help you with this updosing business, and everything else.... She’s been working with you I see...try to answer her questions as specifically and simply as you can...I know she’ll be able to guide you through this.

I’m so sorry for what you are going through in relationship to your twin sister. That’s got to be really heart wrenching. You’re right, we do have that in common, (as well as many other things), the on-going, outside emotional stressors/triggers. After reading through your thread I have gotten a real confirmation for how much they really do exacerbate WD. I think I am underestimating how much they continue to affect me right at the moment....

Thanks for being in touch with me. 

I know you’re going to find your way through this. You’re in the right place here at SA!

❤️  AuntieBea

@AuntieBea

I'm sure the mods are so busy with how many of us are struggling! I'm so thankful I found this site because I was starting to lose hope that I could get better and feeling I was running out of things to try. I've been eating healthy and exercising (though the last weeks has been tough with w/d symptoms getting in the way of sleep and the gym). I was feeling like if I had to updose it would be a sign of failure but after reading so many stories on here of people who had to up dose ot hold but still got off their meds has given me much hope. Just need to stabilize after the darn zoloft fiasco you'll read when my intro goes up.

I definitely relate to the insomnia as I fell asleep at first last night then once the boyfriend came to bed it woke me up and was up for hrs 🙄. I double dosed before on the 300xl wellbutrin. Not fun! Luckily wellbutrin clears from the system pretty quickly so I hope you get stable again quick. Have you tried any small reductions in the wellbutrin before? If so what was your experience? I have a lot of hope you will be able to taper it much easier than celexa. Slow and steady of course! I thought it was going to take me much longer to taper it but I felt instant relief in my anxiety after the first reduction and made the subsequent reductions as I felt good enough to. 

Thank you for the encouragement! I hope you have an easier day today as well. ♡

Respector

July 2019: Zoloft up to 75 mg. Anxiety through the roof. Stopped zoloft Stopped wellbutrin.

Dear @Guilietta

Thank you so much for your positive thoughts and prayers (for all of us here on SA). I really mean that. You are the best...!

I’ve been out of touch for a while now. I am actually really struggling with symptoms again, as bad as they were several weeks ago. Ever since my overdose.... I also think I am underestimating to what extent highly charged emotional triggers are contributing to them.

11 hours ago, Guilietta said:

The heart palpitations are very unpleasan t- even though we know they are part of WD.  I have had them a lot the past 10 days or so.

I know, right...?!!! They are more intense than ever right this minute, and for the last several days. Well, at least I’m in excellent company....😋 So sorry you also have this going on, Guilietta.

11 hours ago, Guilietta said:

I am happy that you have received encouraging news on your vision! That is a cause for joy. :)

Yes, I am feeling a real sense of relief. It is a cause for joy!! Thanks for sharing in that with me.

I woke up really early this morning and then realized it was even an hour earlier than I thought because of the time change!🤔That takes me by surprise every time!!! But now with a precise medication schedule it’s gotten really complicated. A while back you mentioned something about that. You were anticipating this day a week or so ago. Anyway, I decided to transition slowly over three or four days, just gradually delaying the dose time by 15 minutes a day until I catch it up to the new (non day light savings) time. My thinking is not at its best right now, so it’s a bit of a challenge. Wonder how you’re going to make the switch...?

I'm going to keep my watch set to the old time until I get settled on the new time...so at least I have a solid reference point. My own thinking is not such a solid reference point at the moment...if you know what I mean! 😊

I’m thinking of you this morning heading off to church. I’m glad you have that source of comfort and support. 

I’ll be headed over to your thread later on to see how you are doing. I check in on you often although I’m not always able to write.

I’d like to get more practiced at sending the short, little messages that people often do, just to let others know they are being thought of and cared about. I tend to write long messages, but not so often. Thanks to your encouragement and care early on...I have been getting SO much better at connecting with people! It’s a huge thing for me to be able to reach out, not only ask for support but to respond to others as well. I am feeling so much less isolated, especially in WD, which is inherently so isolating because the only people who “get” it are those of us experiencing it. Well, I’m definitely preaching to the choir here!!!😋

I’ll say goodbye for now then, dear Guilietta.

And I am holding positive thoughts for YOU!

AuntieBea🐝

Hi again @Respector

Ugh! That’s miserable being up for hours like that.... But one thing’s for sure, you had lots of company from others of us here on SA!😋

1 hour ago, Respector said:

I was starting to lose hope that I could get better and feeling I was running out of things to try.

I know...we feel so alone “out there” and in fact we are. Especially when you realize that your doctor (my doctor) doesn’t have a clue how to help. He thinks he does, that’s the problem, but it’s usually just throwing more drugs at it, and then things get worse and worse. Yes, it’s a godsend having found SA!

I was feeling like if I had to updose it would be a sign of failure but after reading so many stories on here of people who had to up dose ot hold but still got off their meds has given me much hope.

It’s good that you’re reading a bunch about other people’s stories. I know that the more I understand about all this the more empowered I am to advocate for myself. And we really do have to be able to do that. WD/tapering is not a logical, linear process...logic tells you to just stop taking the drug if you want to get off it. Well-meaning people often ask me if that isn’t an option.... Well it absolutely isn’t, in fact we’ve often got go backwards (updose) instead of going forwards. Totally illogical. The healing process is convoluted and unpredictable as you already know. And each of us is different just to make it more complicated! When a moderator reaches you you’ll be given lots of links and other information that will really help you to understand what’s going on

Have you tried any small reductions in the wellbutrin before? If so what was your experience? I have a lot of hope you will be able to taper it much easier than celexa.

Yes, I started at 150mg and am now down to 100mg. I was doing a 10% reduction per month. Then I began running into complications. At the time I was alternating tapering the Wellbutrin and Celexa...not recommended in general on SA. That may be why I started running into problems. Not entirely sure. Anyway, I’m having to be real patient right now to stabilize after my double dose mishap. Ugh! I was just starting to feel pretty stable so it is frustrating. Thanks for giving me hope. I need to get off this stuff ASAP because of serious adverse effects.

Well, I’m going to say goodbye for now. 

Hope your day goes well despite the lack of sleep. I am sometimes happily surprised at how well I do in a day, even though sleep deprived....😊

AuntieBea🐝

Day 11 Symptom Chart 11/01/19 ( spacing out Wellbutrin and Celexa doses)

7:30 PM. Sleep (previous night).

12:30 AM. Wake up. Get up. Agitation. Can’t rest, relax, lie still.

3:00 AM. Back to bed. Dozed off and on.

5:30 AM. Woke up. Got up. Intense palpitations, throbbing sensation. Hot feet, flushing overall. Agitation 7-10. Anxiety 7-10.

8:00 AM. Took 100mg Wellbutrin. Breakfast.

9:30 AM. Agitation 7-10. Palpitations.

11:00 AM. Took 5.4mg Celexa.

1:00 PM. Intense palpitations, throbbing sensation. Agitation. Headache.

2:00 PM. Agitation, palpitations. Lunch.

6:00 PM. Palpitations, headache.

7:00 PM. Dinner.

9:30 PM. Palpitations. Minimal symptoms overall.

10:00 PM. Bed.

Day 12 Symptom Chart 11/02/19 (spacing out Wellbutrin and Celexa doses)

10:00 PM. Sleep (previous night).

4:00 AM. Woke up with a jolt. Intense palpitations. Hot, flushing sensation throughout body. Headache.

5:00 AM. Got up.

6:00 AM. Back to bed. Did not sleep.

7:00 AM. Got up. Intense palpitations, hot flushing continue. Headache. Some agitation.

8:15 AM. (Starting to adjust timing for going off daylight savings) Took 100mg Wellbutrin.

9:00 AM. Head throbbing. Other symptoms less intense.

11:15 AM. (Timing adjusted) Took 5.4mg Celexa.

12:00 PM. Increased anxiety, agitation.

2:00 PM. Agitation 8-10, anxiety, headache, palpitations.

3:00 PM. Walk. Gentle walk in woods for 1 hour.

4:30 PM. Palpitations, headache, anxiety, agitation beginning to diminish. Some brain fog.

5:30 PM. Palpitations, headache. Some brain fog. Anxiety, agitation continue to diminish.

8:30 PM. Intense palpitations. Other symptoms diminished.

10:00 PM. Bed.

• Administrator

Are you ready to start reducing Wellbutrin? Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Day 13 Symptom Chart 11/03/19 (spacing out Wellbutrin and Celexa)

New time/Old time

9:00 PM/10:00 PM. Sleep.

2:00 AM/  3:00 AM. Woke up. Intense palpitations. Hot flushing sensation. Headache.

2:30 AM/  3:30 AM. Got up. Symptoms continue. Up and down rest of night. Did not sleep.

5:00 AM/  6:00 AM. Got up for the day. Intense palpitations, flushing, agitation. 

7:30 AM/  8:30 AM. Took 100mg Wellbutrin. Breakfast.

9:30 AM/10:30 AM. Intense agitation, flushing, palpitations.

10:30 AM/11:30 AM. Took 5.4mg Celexa. Continued intense agitation, flushing, palpitations, plus headache.

12:30 AM/  1:30 PM. Intense palpitations, throbbing sensation.

1:00 PM/  2:00 PM. Lunch.

3:00 PM/  4:00 PM. Walk.

4:00 PM/  5:00 PM. Palpitations, agitation, brain fog, depression.

9:00 PM/10:00 PM. Sleep.

Exhausted all day from on-going lack of adequate sleep. Symptoms seemed particularly intense today, but I suspect it may not have felt so debilitating if I hadn’t been so exhausted. Also, on-going emotional stressor is also affecting symptoms.

Hello @Altostrata

On 11/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, Altostrata said:

Are you ready to start reducing Wellbutrin?

Yes, I am ready to start tapering. 

I have been stabilizing for one week after my inadvertent double dose of Wellbutrin last Monday. Symptoms were intense all week. Symptoms today are significantly reduced. 

Gridley suggested I start with the Brassmonkey Slide for the first six weeks (total 10% reduction). Then possibly step up the pace depending on how I am doing with that.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, AuntieBea said:

Then possibly step up the pace depending on how I am doing with that.

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi @Gridley

Would you say that an increase in symptoms is fairly typical for the first few days after a reduction? 

I am trying to anticipate what to expect so that I don’t become alarmed and immediately think I have to back off like I did a few weeks ago. 

@Gridley

Also wondering...should I continue to post my symptom charts?

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, AuntieBea said:

I have been stabilizing for one week after my inadvertent double dose of Wellbutrin last Monday. Symptoms were intense all week. Symptoms today are significantly reduced.

Oh! So pleased To read this!! ❤

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, AuntieBea said:

an increase in symptoms is fairly typical for the first few days

Yes, that would be normal.  

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain, so an increase could occur anywhere along that spectrum.

I would continue the symptom charts for a few more days so you can get an idea how the taper is working.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Hi Bea, thanks for the support, you lovely (=

Since 2009, Been on 10mg Lexapro 5 years for GAD.

CT summer 2013 - severe symptoms for 2 months but back to almost normal quickly after that.

Was on Paxil 20mg since then.

Tapering Paxil since Jul 18' using a scale- 

15mg-8.1mg - 10% every average of 3 weeks - very tolerable 

8.1mg-6.5mg 5% every 4 weeks - increase in symptoms but could manage

6.5mg-5.5mg  - 1-1.5% every week - much harder, deciding to hold from 9/29/19. Improved after a month but then outer big stressor came, so considering my acts now.

11/1/19- updosed 4% to 5.72 because of severe insomnia.

Supplements: 

Omega 3, vitamin d, iron +b12+folate, magnesium bisglycinate, b6, taurine

Meds:

Promethazine 12.5mg a day PRN.

Hi @AuntieBea hope you are doing well with the wellbutrin taper ❤

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear AuntieBea

How are you doing ?

Big hugs ❤

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@AuntieBea

How have you been doing?

Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @Gridley

Thank you for checking in on me...I haven’t  been on the forum for a couple of months. 

I am into the ninth week of my Wellbutrin taper (Brassmonkey Slide), but am a bit behind schedule from holding longer than called for a couple of times. Emotional stress at home was significantly increasing symptoms. I have now relocated to a calmer environment for the winter where it is easier for me to manage the symptoms as I get established on the taper.

I started on 100mg Wellbutrin and am now down to 87.75mg after five, 2.5% cuts. Today is day 7 of the last cut and I am just now feeling back to what feels like my WDnormal. I am planning to hold for 3-4 days rather than start the next cut tomorrow. I feel like I need a few days of WDnormal before starting up the round of symptoms again. At this rate I will be doing four, 2.5% cuts over the course of six weeks instead of four weeks, and followed by a two week hold. It will slow me down a bit but will bolster my sense of stability I hope. Anyway, that’s my plan as of today.

I hope you are well Gridley, and wish you all the best in the New Year!

• Moderator Emeritus
12 hours ago, AuntieBea said:

a bit behind schedule from holding longer than called for a couple of times.

That sounds great, AuntieB.  Always go by what your body tells you rather than a schedule.  You are doing it just right.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Thanks for your encouragement @Gridley 

Slow but steady....

I had hoped to be able to progress faster with this taper, but I think I’m especially sensitive because of my past drug history. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, AuntieBea said:

I think I’m especially sensitive because of my past drug history. 

I agree.  Take it slowly.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• 1 year later...

@Gridley

Hello to everyone here on SA!

I haven’t posted for quite a while, almost 2 years. I was slowly and steadily tapering and making good progress until six months ago (June) when I started having a series of serious health issues. I stopped tapering at that time because of the added stress of being exposed to so many pharmaceutical drugs and medical procedures, including surgery in October. I have been holding at 5.2 mg Celexa and 30 mg Wellbutrin for several months.

As of six weeks ago I am experiencing severe withdrawal-like symptoms. I am not sure if these are an adverse reaction to the Celexa and Wellbutrin or if my body is in extreme reactivity to all the additional drugs/procedures I have been exposed to in recent months. I am in a quandary as to how to proceed with tapering and am hoping for some help from the moderators to sort it out.

Later...

I have now read over all my past history and recognize that the same pattern of intense symptoms was going on then. It makes me wonder if my body is no longer tolerating holding at 30 mg Wellbutrin. I am experiencing extreme brain fog, lightheadedness, dizziness, agitation and panic attacks. Blood pressure is spiking up and vision loss is increasing. Symptoms typically start up two hours after taking my dose and taper off 7 to 8 hours later.

As a result of this I did start tapering the Wellbutrin with a 2% drop two weeks ago. One week in it felt like it may have been too much so I backed it up to a 1% drop. I have been steady at the 1% drop for a week.

As of today...

I am now experiencing extreme symptoms from the Celexa as well as the Wellbutrin. I’ve been holding Celexa at 5.2 mg for a very long time and I’m puzzled as to why it would be flaring up all of a sudden. I started radiation treatments this week for my breast cancer and I’m wondering if there’s any possible connection with an increase in symptoms. Does radiation affect the way the drugs are metabolized?

I took fluconazole this fall which reacted badly with the Celexa and did cause an increase in its level in my blood. This lead ultimately to a dangerous drop in sodium (a recurrent condition) for which I had to be hospitalized. My nephrologist is confident that the Celexa is the cause of this condition and wants me off it ASAP. I am leery of this drastic increase in symptoms which clearly doesn’t have to do with lowering the dose.

I’m going to post this message now. Not sure it’s terribly clear, but I will fill in with details as needed. The moment my concern has to do with this drastic increase in symptoms which I cannot explain, coupled with an increasingly urgent need to get off the drugs. I am surely hoping for some help with this and thank you in advance for any direction you’re able to get me.

Just noticed that Gridley is taking a break from moderating at the moment.

Hoping there’s another moderator who would have a look at what I have going on....

Thanks so much!

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for assistance.  I am not familiar with the treatment/s you had/are having.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks so much!

Hi @AuntieBea

Please start posting a daily symptoms chart like you have done previously and we will see if that can help shed some light on this.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

Yes, I will do that. Thank you. 

• Administrator

Hello, @AuntieBea Since January 2020, are you taking other drugs in addition to Celexa and Wellbutrin? Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.