mia: Tapering off Wellbutrin, Tegretol, lorazepam

mia

• Administrator

You have to measure the gabapentin, mia. That topic contains instructions. Is there someone there who can help you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mia

• Altostrata

• Shep

• Rhiannon

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You have to measure the gabapentin, mia. That topic contains instructions. Is there someone there who can help you?

Altostrata how do I measure the gabapentin.The only one that’s here is my husband,and he leaves to work at 3:00 pm,but I can’t count on him to help me with this,he doesn’t have the patience. Altostrata the gabapentin are in capsules.

I've been taking lorazepam 4 mg,since December 20,2017.I started taking gabapentin again in January 27 for the pain in my back,and i'm still taking it,i'm taking 100 mg twice a day.But i want to get off it because the side effects.I take the first dosage of gabapentin at 12:00 noon,the side effects are diarrhea,tremors,i don't feel like doing anything, no motivation,forgetfulness,trouble concentrating,irritated,feeling down,sometimes i feel space out with this medication.My second dosage of 100 of  gabapentin is at 8:00 pm,the symptoms are the same as the one i take at noon,except for the diarrhea.I take 2 mg off lorazepam at 1:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,i start to shake( hands,head,sometimes my whole body.The next dosage i take is at 6:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,and the same symptoms when i take the 1:00 pm dosage.

• Administrator

mia, you're going to have to find someone to help you. If I could come to your house to do this for you, I would, but I cannot.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

mia, you're going to have to find someone to help you. If I could come to your house to do this for you, I would, but I cannot.

Can you just please tell me what i have to do,or someone that has weaned off gabapentin,please help me with the things i have to do,please i need help,i need to get off this medicine. I dont want my husband to take me to a detox center,this is not going to help me. I already have the scale,i have the cylinder and the syringe.How should I start tapering off?

I've been taking lorazepam 4 mg,since December 20,2017.I started taking gabapentin again in January 27 for the pain in my back,and i'm still taking it,i'm taking 100 mg twice a day.But i want to get off it because the side effects.I take the first dosage of gabapentin at 12:00 noon,the side effects are diarrhea,tremors,i don't feel like doing anything, no motivation,forgetfulness,trouble concentrating,irritated,feeling down,sometimes i feel space out with this medication.My second dosage of 100 of  gabapentin is at 8:00 pm,the symptoms are the same as the one i take at noon,except for the diarrhea.I take 2 mg off lorazepam at 1:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,i start to shake( hands,head,sometimes my whole body.The next dosage i take is at 6:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,and the same symptoms when i take the 1:00 pm dosage.

• Moderator Emeritus
25 minutes ago, mia said:

I already have the scale,i have the cylinder and the syringe.How should I start tapering off?

Mia, which method are you using, the scale or the liquid taper method? Looks like you've got supplies for both methods. 

If you are using liquid, please see:

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

If you are using the scale, please see:

Using a digital scale to measure doses

It may be easier to get liquid gabapentin. You'll need to get your doctor to write you a prescription. 

13 minutes ago, Shep said:

Mia, which method are you using, the scale or the liquid taper method? Looks like you've got supplies for both methods. 

If you are using liquid, please see:

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

If you are using the scale, please see:

It may be easier to get liquid gabapentin. You'll need to get your doctor to write you a prescription. 

Hi Shep.Shep I’m still not using any method because I don’t know how to do the taper. I doubt that he will give me a script for liquid gabapentin .The last time i saw him and my husband told him about the side effects i was having from gabapentin,my husband told him that she needs to get off this medicine,and the doctor told us,reduce 100 mg for a week and then reduce the other one for a week and thats it,you’re off of it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Mia, if using a scale or measuring by liquid isn't an option for you, you could split out the capsule and estimate a 10% reduction. This is not ideal, but from reading your thread, that's what Alto recommended for you to do with your Wellbutrin back in 2012. 

Since your total daily dose of gabapentin is 200 mg, a 10% reduction would be 180 mg. 

To do this using 100 mg capsules: 

1. Take your first capsules of the day and empty out the powder. Divide it into 5 piles as evenly as possible so that you have 5 piles with 20 mg each. You will swallow 4 of the piles for a total of 80 mg as your first dose. You may want to keep the rest of the powder either in an empty pill container, plastic bag, empty gel capsules (you can buy them on Amazon if you don't already have them - if you have questions, ask and we can get you a link). Clearly label the container so that you know how much is in it to use later. 

2. Take your full 100 mg at night.

Do this for the next few days and let us know how you feel. 

4 hours ago, Shep said:

Mia, if using a scale or measuring by liquid isn't an option for you, you could split out the capsule and estimate a 10% reduction. This is not ideal, but from reading your thread, that's what Alto recommended for you to do with your Wellbutrin back in 2012. 

Since your total daily dose of gabapentin is 200 mg, a 10% reduction would be 180 mg. 

To do this using 100 mg capsules: 

1. Take your first capsules of the day and empty out the powder. Divide it into 5 piles as evenly as possible so that you have 5 piles with 20 mg each. You will swallow 4 of the piles for a total of 80 mg as your first dose. You may want to keep the rest of the powder either in an empty pill container, plastic bag, empty gel capsules (you can buy them on Amazon if you don't already have them - if you have questions, ask and we can get you a link). Clearly label the container so that you know how much is in it to use later. 

2. Take your full 100 mg at night.

Do this for the next few days and let us know how you feel. 

Thank you Shep.Shep i measure the powder in the scale or how i do it?

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, mia said:

Thank you Shep.Shep i measure the powder in the scale or how i do it?

Sure, if you want to use your scale, please do so. The instructions are in this link:

And a video: 

Scale use video (6.5 minutes)

If you need help with the math, you'll need to weigh your capsule (I would empty the powder out in the little metal tray) and let us know the weight. 

Let us know what the powder in your capsule weighs. 

2 hours ago, Shep said:

Sure, if you want to use your scale, please do so. The instructions are in this link:

And a video: 

Scale use video (6.5 minutes)

If you need help with the math, you'll need to weigh your capsule (I would empty the powder out in the little metal tray) and let us know the weight. 

Let us know what the powder in your capsule weighs. 

Thank you Shep. I will let you know what the powder in the capsule weighs?

21 hours ago, mia said:

Hi Shep

21 hours ago, mia said:

Hi Shep.Shep the power in the capsule weights 0.136 

• Moderator Emeritus
44 minutes ago, mia said:

Hi Shep.Shep the power in the capsule weights 0.136 

Good job, MIa.

Your total daily dose is 200 mg, taken  in two 100 mg capsule doses. Since your reduction is only being taken off of one dose, you would take 80% off that one dose:

0.136 x .80 = .109 

You'll need to remove a small amount of powder until your scale reads .109. 

1. Take .109 of the powder in the morning.

2. Take a full 100 mg capsule at night.

Please let me know if this makes sense. 

2 hours ago, Shep said:

Good job, MIa.

Your total daily dose is 200 mg, taken  in two 100 mg capsule doses. Since your reduction is only being taken off of one dose, you would take 80% off that one dose:

0.136 x .80 = .109 

You'll need to remove a small amount of powder until your scale reads .109. 

1. Take .109 of the powder in the morning.

2. Take a full 100 mg capsule at night.

Please let me know if this makes sense. 

Thank you Shep. I does make sense Shep.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please post the weight of your next pill if you still need help with the math. 

Let us know how you're feeling. 

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing, Mia? 

Remember that each pill weighs a different amount, so if you still need help with the math, please post the weight of your pills.

Let us know how you do over the coming days and if the symptoms / side effects decrease.