Tao of the Brassmonkey

Rosetta

Thinking of you. I’m sorry about your sister in law.  I’m sure that having such a caring soul around will help both her and your wife.  They are lucky to have you.  Have a safe trip.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brassmonkey

• Rabe

• Longroadhome

• Happy2Heal

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Link to BrassMonkey's Intro topic     Brassmonkey- A Success Story     To some people six and a half years is a very long time to take to accomplish a goal.  For me it’s

It all ended three years ago today.   After tapering for five and a half years I finally made the jump to "0", and haven't looked back. All those years are finally starting to fade in the di

Congrats Brass! 4 years drug-free is a huge milestone, WOW! ☺️ And happy belly button birthday too 😉 It's been clear to me in my recovery that there really is no going back to where I was . . . I can

Cocopuffz17

Sorry to hear Brass. All the best to you in this difficult time. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• Mentor

So sorry to read this.

Sending thoughts, prayers and ((((((HUGS))))) to you, your wife and family.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal and Prilosec from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 2 weeks later...
brassmonkey

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and (((HUGS))), they are quite comforting.  

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Gridley
Posted (edited)

My heart and prayers are with you, your wife and sister-in-law.  I can't think of another person who could bring more solace into this situation. 

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg 1986-1991 CT, soon reinstated.  CT 2000. RI 1 mg 2011-2016.  Sept. 2016  0.625mg X 3

Nov.27, 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover + change to one 18.75mg dose, w/1 month hold.

Feb. 9, 2021, begin 10% every 4 weeks taper.  Current dose as of March 22: 14.4mgai.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan. 2016 began every 3-weeks 10% taper, down to 16mgai (0.44mgpw).  Aug 2016, discovered SA, holding at 16mg.  Taper is 78% complete.  

Supplements: omega, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg.

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Longroadhome

It’s lovely that Monica has such strong support by her side.  

October 2004 Paxil 20mg - October 2018, 14 years

Nov 2018 Pregabalin -  2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD

August 2019 Pregabalin -  2 x 25mg a day 

April 2020 Pregabalin -  45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, beg July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg 

October 2018 Paxil - 20 mg, November 15mg, December 10mg  

February 2019 Paxil- 7.5mg crashed, February 8.5mg, Nov 8mg 

March 2020 Paxil - 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, December 4.5mg 

Jan 2021 Paxil - 4mg, February 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg

these dates are approximate 

• 2 weeks later...
brassmonkey

Today marks the 4th anniversary of my making the jump to "0". It was a major accomplishment requiring a five and a half year taper. It has been a very eventful, exciting and at times stressful four years. I wouldn't have missed them for the world.

After congratulations, the first thing everyone is going to ask is "are you fully recovered?". 

To which I will have to answer, "I haven't got a clue", but I'm functioning well in society, generally feel well, am in good health according to my doctor, and all in all enjoying life. But I do forget things, have body aches and pains, have trouble finding my words in conversation, get tired easily nd the like. I honestly can't remember what I felt like physically and mentally all those years ago before I started taking the paxil. I do know I was in a condition that turning to psych drugs was a viable alternative. I'm very glad I did and really wish I hadn't.

Today marks 28 1/2 years since that all began. Having spent almost a third of my life involved with ADs it only make sense to say that they have had an affect on my life and body. In the beginning they seemed to be quite helpful.  That was followed by a period of helping me get through some really tough times by making me feel very little and then it all went south.  Regaining control of my life took a huge effort and a lot of pain both physically and mentally. At each step of the journey it came down to my doing what had to be done to get through. Even if they are no longer directly making changes to my body what they have changed in the past has directly placed me where I am today.

Last week I turned 68. I still think of myself as in my mid forties, but my body is letting me know otherwise. Are the things I'm experiencing the result of getting older or of the ware and tear of the drugs?  There really is no way of telling, and frankly I don't care. My current existence is the sum total of everything I have experienced in my life and when it comes down to it we have very little control over what has happened. We make choices based on the information available at the time and then work our way through the consequences. When one event is over, it becomes part of the past and is no longer directly related to the present or future, but is relegated to the storehouse of experiences that we draw from to make our decisions.

Moving on from the past is a very important part of personal growth and recovery from any trauma. At some point it is necessary to say "it's over and done with, time to move on".

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Brass! 4 years drug-free is a huge milestone, WOW! ☺️ And happy belly button birthday too 😉 It's been clear to me in my recovery that there really is no going back to where I was . . . I can only move forward to a place I've not yet been. And if in that place I can find some peace, connection, purpose, and wholeness -- then perhaps I'm living well. Recovery is a journey, not a destination.

Best wishes on each new step forward you take 🙏❤️

My suggestions are not medical advice. They are my opinions based on my own experience, strength and hope.

You are in charge of your own medical / healing / recovery choices.

My success story |  My introduction thread

ZOLOFT FREE - COMPLETELY DRUG FREE 4/28/2019! - total time on 28+ years

BENZO FREE! 4/7/2018 - total time on 27+ years

REMERON FREE! 12/11/2016 - total time on 15 months

Caffeine & Nicotine Free 2014 / 2015 - smoked for 28 years

Alcohol Free 4/1/2014 - drank for 30 years

Cocopuffz17

Congrats on 4 years post zero! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• Mentor

@brassmonkey

Congratulations on your four year anniversary!

And a very happy birthday to you as well😊

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal and Prilosec from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

getofflex

Brassmonkey you are an inspiration to me, and to many of us here.  You give me a lot of hope.  Thank you for all your contributions to this forum.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 02 - 10 mg;  Apr 2 20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10 

Trazodone.  used 50 mg once every 4-7 days for sleep, stopped

Xanax. used 0.5 mg once every 4-7 days for sleep, stopped

Benadryl 50 mg, Ibuprofen 800 mg, or Tylenol 1000 mg

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, multivitamin, vit C, vit E, calcium

suppl PM: magnesium 350 mg, GABA 750 mg, Estroven, melatonin 3 mg, calcium

Moonpie

Congratulations brassmonkey!  A true accomplishment you worked hard for.  Thank you for all the support and help you have given me since I have come to SA. 

I am 67 and I appreciate your sharing.  Especially, "We make choices based on the information available at the time and then work our way through the consequences. When one event is over, it becomes part of the past and is no longer directly related to the present or future, but is relegated to the storehouse of experiences that we draw from to make our decisions.

Moving on from the past is a very important part of personal growth and recovery from any trauma. At some point it is necessary to say "it's over and done with, time to move on".

Such wise advice and some I was badly needing!   

1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16 - taper start 2/17.  1/07/2017 tapering A.m. and pm doses .001 every 4 days.  Prescribed for a thyroid medication mess up made thyroid go crazy for 8 months. Was very sensitive to Ativan.  OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018

10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 mg every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021
5 mg. Buspar  divided into two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM- Start date 9/26/2016 .

N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  12-22-17 reduced  from  75 mg. to 67.5 daily,  dose now 60 mg a day

Bioidentical hormones. Bi-est/Prog cream, 1/4 tsp.  1 time daily

My intro: Moonpie:. Need help and supporting tapering off of Ativan

My benzo thread: Moonpie: Need help Ativan weight tapering

Rosetta

Ha! Ha! Well, more or less 4 years since my “jump to zero,” too — off a cliff.  So glad you were here for me.  

Congrats on a nice anniversary, Brassmonkey.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Happy anniversary and congratulations! 

md

🌞

1989-2002 Prozac/Zoloft

2002 Escitalopram 20 mg.

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide

CURRENT 1.15 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

• Moderator Emeritus

Finally caught up on your story.  I still have some poking around to do, but it is so heart warming to read how well you are at this point, so many years after your final dose. 

I am sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. I hope her experience is pain free and smooth. I send warm wishes to you, your wife, and her family.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg to treat an eating disorder. Several unsuccessful attempts to discontinue.Fall 2012: Failed attempt to discontinue then -> 40mg Prozac and added 150mg Wellbutrin.Late summer 2013:Began slower Prozac taper.Spring 2014:Got to 10mg Prozac, 75mg of Wellbutrin -April 2014: 9mg Prozac & 37.5mg Wellbutrin 2x/day -> 9mg Prozac & 25 mg Wellbutrin 2x/day->9mg Prozac 1x/day & ~8mg Wellbutrin 2x/day -> 8.1mg Prozac, 0 WellbutrinSept '14: 8.1mg Prozac -> crashed hardOct '14: 10mg ProzacNov '14: 20mg -> 30mgDec '14: 30mg, Feb 10: 27mg. Mar 7: 25mg Mar 21, 2015: 20mg. May 21, 2016: 20mg and holding strong.

My experience: http://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

((((Hugs))))

2006 : 20mg Paroxetine + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 2008 : cold turkey of both

2010 : 20mg Deroxat + Bromazepam

2013: Switch from Bromazepam To Prazepam

2014-June2017 : Prazepam taper

2018 to August 2019 : Paroxetine 20mg taper (3% every 15 days).

- 22nd August updosed To 10mg (was at 8.4mg)

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paroxetine. 

April 2020 : Paxil to Prozac bridge. Details topic/21457-

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate/ fish oil/ evening primrose oil 

Current medication :  7mg Fluoxetine (since 20 Aug 2020)

+ 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

(Toothpick Paroxetine from September 2020 to 17th March 2021)