Purely for fun. We are both retired and travel had always been a big thing for us. We've done a number of single destination trips and wanted to try something a bit more complex. So around the world we go. We are just pulling out of port so well be losing contact soon

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Brassmonkey.  Your travels sound wonderful.  I'm happy for you and your wife, that after all you've been through, you're able to enjoy life so much.  I really hope you enjoy this time together.

I have a question for you,  if you find some down time to answer.  You stated in an earlier post, "The recovery story doesn’t stop at reaching “0”.  In fact, it’s only beginning. Once the drugs have totally left the body it can actually start the real job of recovery.  That’s why we like to wait a year before declaring a success story, and that year is up as of April 15, 2018"

Waiting a year for what to occur?  To determine if protracted withdrawal symptoms will arise?  

I am coming off Escitalopram after almost 30 years.  One doctor (Shipko) has cautioned that he has long time AD user patients who slowly tapered only to have lapsed into what he calls an incurable akithisia like state.  I am very concerned about stopping if this is the risk.

Thanks.

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.34 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

The past "0" experience is something that is not as well documented as we would like. All to often people get very excited about reaching "0" but have not taken the proper care during the taper. After a few months it all goes south and a number of them end up reenstating. The is a lot that goes on in that first year off that can trip a person up. That is why we recommend waiting a year. 

There is a bit of controversy over tapering long term users.  But we have had a very good success rate. I was on for about 25 years all together and have had no problems. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hello from Cartagena Spain. Beautiful day, soft breeze,warm sun. We sail to Rome tonight and catch a plan plane to Kenya the next day. Tha cruise has been fun but I'm excited to get on safari. 

1 hour ago, brassmonkey said:

The past "0" experience is something that is not as well documented as we would like. All to often people get very excited about reaching "0" but have not taken the proper care during the taper. After a few months it all goes south and a number of them end up reenstating. The is a lot that goes on in that first year off that can trip a person up. That is why we recommend waiting a year. 

There is a bit of controversy over tapering long term users.  But we have had a very good success rate. I was on for about 25 years all together and have had no problems. 

Thank you for you direct response.  How does one take the proper care during taper to insure it doesn't go south?  I know there aren't guarantees but I'm willing to do whatever to make certain I minimize the risks.  

I think after a few months, reinstatement is iffy. So that means it's a HUGE risk if it does go south. What types of things can trip a person up the first year?  

I know you are a success story (congratulations, I can't tell you how happy I am for you!!!  You must feel so relieved and it seems you're loving life💜) But what are other very good success stories? I don't need links or anything, I just have not seen them on this site and frankly, as bad as I want off this drug, I'm as afraid to risk permanent disability by suffering a form of akithisia the rest of my life.  I'm sure anyone can understand that. I don't mean to monopolize your time on your lovely trip.  I'm nowhere near stopping as you can see from my signature.  I'm hoping after your return, you'll be back on this site and we can correspond further.  By then, I also hope to have resumed tapering.  

Thanks again and enjoy your well-deserved time.

mdwstrx

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.34 mg 🌼

There's a ton of good information on the site. Read the tapering threads and self care threads for a starter. We'll talk later. 

Sitting in the Rome airport on a long layover. Catch the flight to Nairobi this evening. 

Hello from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Only a few minutes in the airport on our way to Nairobi, Kenya. 

We made it to Nairobi and are exhausted. By the time we finally got settled in the room we had been awake for about 38 hours. All for a 12 hour flight. There were some problems with the room that took some time to sort but we have a wonderful place to spend the night. Start with the safari drives in the morning.

• Moderator Emeritus

You are an inspiration.  Enjoy!

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

19 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Start with the safari drives in the morning.

oh, my goodness that is wonderful, can't wait to hear about all the wildlife you see. 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

We are sitting on the porch of our tent in the m middle of KEnya watching an elephant about 200 feethe away when an impala walked a few feet in front of us as the baboons scream behind us. 

This afternoon we spent several hours with a crush of rhinos a herd of elephants several lions and a bunch of other animals. It was amazing. 

Sounds amazing!  Enjoy every minute and keep sharing your journeys for us.  It’s fun to read on these cold wintry housebound days.  Be careful too!  🐒

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.34 mg 🌼

Crush of Rhinos....that sounds painful!!! 🤪  Did not know that was what they are called.  Continue to enjoy bm...and take care!!

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-Feb '18 Amiloride .25mg  5/18 off Amiloride d/t react. Clonaz compounded  

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

@brassmonkey : hope ur vacation is going good , loved ur intro , 

Had some questions , please answer them once you get time .

Did u have vision problems when  u were withdrawing from drug ?

1. Grainy Vision 

2. tinnitus 

I have asked many people here and all have been helpful :)  for some both the symptoms have gone over time for others it lingers around 

Could you tell me your experience on it

Sept 28 : nov 10 amitriptyline 10 mg

no history of drugs in past 

symptoms 

mild grainy vision , visual snow 

tinnitus 

dizziness

floters 

difficult in focusin 

muscle pain

Hi Shawny  yes I had both. The vision is pretty much cleared up,  but I think my age is beginning to show by my needing new glasses. The tinnitus has cleared for the most part but there is still a bit due to years of working wit power tools. 

Hello from Lake Naivasha. Very poor WiFi the last few days. Spent the day chasing hippos on the lake. Tonight they are meant to come right up to the patio. Can't wait for that. I took my 6000th picture this afternoon. As the sun is setting the Crown Cranes are starting to make a lot of noise. Supper time.

Edited by brassmonkey

12 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Shawny  yes I had both. The vision is pretty much cleared up,  but I think my age is beginning to show by my needing new glasses. The tinnitus has cleared for the most part but there is still a bit due to years of working wit power tools. 

But tinnitus does fade or disappear over a period o time ? 

I got it after stopping the amitriptyline for one month .

its been 2 months and tinnitus is still there :( 

symptoms 

tinnitus 

dizziness

floters 

difficult in focusin 

muscle pain

Wasn't until I was totally of four several months that it really started to clear up. It did decrease as my dose decreased though. 

Awesome so mine will also decrease over a period ? N urs disappeared over time ? 

symptoms 

tinnitus 

dizziness

floters 

difficult in focusin 

muscle pain

Hi Shawny,

My experience has been that tinnitus dissipates with time once the med has been discontinued.

Please be patient, know you are continually improving and that this recovery period may take up to a year - of course your recovery may be sooner.

All the Best,

Woof☺️

If on a Benzo for a relatively short period of time, such as less than 6-12 months, one may want to consider tapering off their Benzo first (please see Will Hall's book on Harm Reduction)

Prior to commencing with an AD taper please consider what problems the AD is causing, as tapering is an extremely serious endeavor.   

If one has been on an AD for more than 10 yrs. please consider the potential long term negative consequences of AD withdrawal prior to tapering. (please see Drs. Healy, Glenmullen and Shipko) 

Prior to re-starting an AD taper, please do not resume tapering until all w/d sx's from any prior taper, especially CT, have resolved. 

2004 - Dec. 2015,  Cymbalta 20mg/d  for neck pain - Never had problems with Cymbalta.   Dec 2015, CT 20mg/d Cymbalta.  5 weeks later reinstated 20mg/d Cymbalta - without increase in CT sx's.   

Feb 2016 STARTED VALIUM 25mg/d for CT Cymbalta wd sxs.    Jan-April 2016 Held Cymbalta 20mg/d - doing pretty well (AM 3/10 anxiety and 3/10 tinnitus)

April 2016, CT Cymbalta sx's had not yet resolved and I prematurely tapered 10% q 4 wks x 3 mos.  After 3rd cut developed 10/10 wd sx's of Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Panic attacks, dark, incresaed Valium to 28mg/d. 

November 2016, after 3 cuts, UP-DOSED all (41 beads) back up to 20mg (193 beads total) Cymbalta - from , dark to light.

VALIUM TAPER: Jan 2017 28mg to March 2019 Zero   Cymbalta has partially stabilized and helped with the Valium taper.  The only sx I have now is 3/10 Tinnitus, which I only notice when it is quiet.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11900-woof-cymbalta-re-stabilization-after-cold-turkey-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11951-woof-valium-scheduling-and-dosage-with-cymbalta-wd-symptoms/

Tanx brass 🐒 

symptoms 

tinnitus 

dizziness

floters 

difficult in focusin 

muscle pain

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/15/2019 at 11:07 AM, brassmonkey said:

Hello from Lake Naivasha.

I enjoy reading your "travel log" brass . . . thanks for the updates :)

My suggestions are not medical advice. They are my opinions based on my own experience, strength and hope.

You are in charge of your own medical / healing / recovery choices.

My success story |  My introduction thread

ZOLOFT FREE - COMPLETELY DRUG FREE 4/28/2019! - total time on 28+ years

BENZO FREE! 4/7/2018 - total time on 27+ years

REMERON FREE! 12/11/2016 - total time on 15 months

Caffeine & Nicotine Free 2014 / 2015 - smoked for 28 years

Alcohol Free 4/1/2014 - drank for 30 years

Spent the afternoon watching three lions about 10 feet from the truck as they ate their dinner which they had just caught. Very exciting day we saw 10 lions, 5 cheetahs and a ton of other animals. I can't believe we were able to get that close to the Lions for so long. Minutes after we got bag to the tent it started to pour rain, now it's nice and dry. 

I'm sitting in the lounge of the Ashnil tent camp, over looking the hippo river. Had a very emotional day viewing the entire circle of life. Watched a pair of lions trying to create the next generation, saw young hippos and elephants at play and a clan of hyenas cleaning up after someone else's dinner. All in all quite a powerful day that will require some reflection to fully appreciate. Can't believe tomorrow is the last day before moving on to the next stage of the trip. 

Greetings from the Dubai airport.  On a stopover on our way to Oz. Just finished a 5 hour flight have to wait 4 hours and then another 10 hours of flying.

We made it to Oz. Had fun getting my herbal supplements through customs, but the lady officer was real nice and had a good sense of humor, so no problems. Rented a car then had to remember how to drive on the proper side of the road, it's been a while. Found the lovely little flat we have rented for a few days and went to sleep for 14 hours. Woke up to a bunch of multi colored parrots in the tree outside the window. Took it easy today but will go exploring tomorrow. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/22/2019 at 10:45 PM, brassmonkey said:

Woke up to a bunch of multi colored parrots in the tree outside the window.

Parrot Fashion

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Flew to the other end of the country today. 

Over the last several months I have had very poor Internet availability and have tried to post updates whenever possible. I have not been able to make answers to people who have asked some rather complicated questions. For the forsee able future this will be the case. Once I get back from holiday there will be a lot of personal matters that will need attending to plus at least one hospital stay. I apologize for not getting back to people, but I want to be able to give proper answers. Please bear with and I'll get to it when I can. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure you are back?  Hmmm.  In any case could you please tell me how much water I would have to use to dissolve the Viibryd?  I think it was 30mg?  I didnt put it on my sheet because I was going to weigh...but am finding the scale to be really inaccurate the more I use it seems.  So I thought I would at least take a dry run so to speak at dissolving some tablets of both meds and see how they do...what that looks like.  not going to do anything this moment but i have to think to something more stable....I am really realizing this.  The world destabilizes on its own...I need to do the best I can to keep myself and my meds as stable as I can.  The compounding has not improved...I sit in the morning and wonder...do I take the .258 V capsule that is full or the .228 one that is 3/4 full...or the one left that I have that is in between?  A bit crazy.  Since the pharmacy doesnt seem to acknowledge it is a problem then have to go around it.  

I have read over the scale information and dont know how to make it more accurate...its probably me but I dont know.  I wanted to write and ask  this before I start taking meds and eating as then the anxiety starts and I am a bit of a mess.  Thank you so much.

If you are home I hope you had a safe trip...if not I hope you have a safe and wonderful rest of your trip!!

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

Sorry Rabe but I don't have any of my records available as I'm lost somewhere on the south island of New Zealand and won't be available for another couple of months. 

thats ok. im not doing well since go procedure anyway, take care. thank you for letting me know. have fallen off a cliff here seems

On 4/17/2018 at 8:21 PM, brassmonkey said:

This is the third journal thread that I have had during my travels with the drug Paxil.  Each one has been indicative of the state I was in at the time I was posting.  My first, "Letters from the Island of Anhedonia", documented my early years of learning about tapering and the variety of experiences, feeling and lack there of and surviving one day at a time until thing started to improve.  Sadly it was lost with the closing of PaxilProgress.

My second journal, "Brassmonkey- Talking About Myself", is still available here and is about to be closed to further posting.  In it I have chronicled the day to day experiences of a long taper.  I have also added bits of wit and wisdom about "life, the universe and everything".  It has served well as a record of my thoughts, but it's time has come to a close also.  

Having reached a full year of being drug free it is time to move on. No, I'm not leaving, you can't get rid of me that easy. Rather it is time to start a new discussion documenting the post "0" experience, how I got here, what worked and what didn't during my taper.  I am also going to throw in a lot of my philosophy of life, beliefs and ways of living that have gotten me to this point of my life. Which is why I'm titling it "Tao of the Brassmonkey".

Have you documented the post “0” Brassmonkey I’d love to read it as I’m just beginning my journey off Paxil after 15 years . Well done you ! 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

The first year of my post 0 experience is documented in the thread Brassmonkey, talking about myself. After that is all here in Tao of the Brassmonkey.  Then as CC pointed out we have a lot of discussion of the general subject in the thread Are we there yet.