MamaFlower: Paxil withdrawal or PTSD or what?

MamaFlower

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, MamaFlower said:

I have a few questions:

Is it the belief of the mods on this forum that SSRI withdrawal causes brain/CNS damage that is permanent? 

Is it the belief of the mods on this forum that taking SSRIs for 20+ years causes brain/CNS damage that is permanent? 

I'm confused because you often say "there is no cure" and "humpty dumpty" but then you say that with time people heal. 

So, "no cure" to me says I have a terminal condition where I will have adrenaline surges and intrusive images/thoughts nonstop for the rest of my life from a .5 decrease of paxil. That thought causes me an enormous amount of terror and grief. Having someone tell you that your suffering will never end is unbearable. 

My belief is that it is somewhere in between.  People do heal and recover with time, although it's possible that some of the changes may not be completely reversed.  We may never go back to exactly how we were before.  In general we see that severe symptoms ease off over time, so please stop frightening yourself by imagining a future of unbearable suffering.  You are more likely to do better by repeating positive affirmations of healing.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MamaFlower

• Skeeter

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic