SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MamaFlower: Paxil withdrawal or PTSD or what?

MamaFlower

I have spent the last week in bed reading this site over and over, combing through the words, looking for some sign of hope. 

In 1997 I was placed on Paxil 20mg after a traumatic event; I was 16 at the time.

At the time my parents were told I could come off anytime, no risk of anything. As soon as I was put on, I started experiencing very intense side effects but I was also in the throws of severe PTSD with constant panic attacks, insomnia, terror... So it was hard to say which was which. 

I remained on the Paxil until 2009. In 2009, I decided I wanted to go off. I never thought to google or look online, I just asked my OBGYN. She said that it's best to go slow, and gave me liquid paxil. She said to go down 5mg a month. I wish I could recall the details of how I tapered down between 20 and 8 but I honestly cannot. All I know is that I never had any side effects at all. Sometimes I would have brain zaps, and weird dreams that started just as I dozed off, but for the most part I was A-OK. NO other side effects at all and the ones I did have only lasted a few days at most. 

Fast forward to this year. After being on 8mg for years, I decided I wanted to try coming off because I was feeling chubby (if I'm being honest). Let me also state that this last year has been, without a doubt the most stressful time of my entire life. We moved, started new jobs, I was sexually harassed at work, I ended up working 3 jobs, nonstop SNS in overdrive. I say this, because I'm honestly not sure if what I am experiencing is Paxil related so I want to give the full details and story here. 

On February 3rd 2018 I took my liquid Paxil dose from 8mg - 7.5mg. Again, I had never googled this, I just kind of made it up in my head. I didn't know there was anything to even google because other than my OBGYN saying briefly to go down slow, I didn't even know withdrawal was a thing. 

Everything was great. ZERO side effects. However, in my life, everything fell apart. My 8 year old daughter get very, very ill, I had to quit one of my jobs due to extreme stress and abuse from a man, and money troubles were up. I was truly in a state of full blown stress - even more hormones were a mess. 

But still, I was going going going because I just don't know when to quit I suppose. Then, on March 5th, I went to bed and couldn't sleep. Each time I would lay down, I'd get a HUGE surge of adrenaline through my entire body. I'd drift to sleep but be woken by these intense jolts that would leave me throwing up. The first night I was afraid, but I was OK. But then when this happened again the second night, and 3rd night, I began to develop second fears and began to become terrified that something was wrong with me. I went straight to the doctor and begged her to help me. She said my chronic stress had caused me SNS to go into extreme haywire and told me to take Xanax to sleep. That night I took the xanax (I think it was .5) and it didn't help me sleep. Instead I just laid there terrified that I wasn't sleeping. At this point, the ONLY thing I was experiencing was insomnia and anxiety related to the insomnia because I am terrified of not sleeping since I was a little girl. I went to my doctor again, and she said it was just the extreme stress from the year and asked me about my Paxil. I told her I was on 7.5 and she said to go to 14mg. I have since read the incredibly informative post about how this is a horrible idea, but again, I had no reason to even suspect anything at all is wrong with Paxil or with the doctor. None. 

I went home and took the 14mg liquid Paxil on March 28th. On April 2nd I felt great. April 3rd- 9th I was back to my old self 100%, sleeping nonstop, going about my life. I was still a bit worried by the lack of sleep that happened, but tried not to think about it. And then BOOM two days before my period on April 10th, (sorry if TMI) the insomnia came roaring back - same with the adrenaline surges. I have not been able to sleep more than 1 hour at a time since, and when I do sleep I'm not really sleeping. It's like a half awake thing with adrenaline flashes constantly going off in my body. I'm exhausted. Beyond. I thought it was just my hormones going bananas due to the stress. I called a hormone doctor and she said it sounded just like peri-menopause and to come right in. I went two days ago and she said my hormones were crazy and these symptoms sounded like they were hormonal. 

But something wasn't right. It wasn't just the insomnia anymore - although I'm wondering if the insomnia is what is causing all of my other symptoms. Possible severe Adrenal Fatigue? Nervous breakdown? PTSD with my SNS stuck on? When I read the list of symptoms of Paxil withdrawal every single one fits - but those same symptoms are in line with SNS response from PTSD as well. Sounds, smells, dizzy, insomnia, burning skin, numb hands and feet, severe depersonalization, OCD obsession with looking up symptoms and possible causes all day every single day... 

I'm coming to you with my heart broken. I miss my beautiful children. I miss my life. I miss my husband and our family. I wish I could go back in time and figure out where I went wrong. 

• Do you think it is possible that going from 8-7.5 on February 3rd could suddenly cause insomnia on March 5th? Even though it was such a tiny decrease and I'd never had any symptoms of withdrawal before? 

• Also, I *know* I made a HUGE mistake taking the Paxil 14mg on March 28th. I hadn't slept since March 4th and I promise I had no clue this could even be bad. I thought Paxil was like a vitamin that fixed a deficiency I had. (Which I've since read on here, is not the truth). Will I eventually stabilize at 14mg? And then go down again from there? How long until I stabilize? 
  • If I go down on the 14mg at this point I'll just freak out my body even more, right? 
  • If this is adrenal fatigue or PTSD my SNS won't stabilize on the Paxil until those things are remedied? But this whole thing is causing even more PTSD. The nightmares and visions at night are the most horrifying things I have ever experienced. Night after night. Ugh. 

• What do I do now? I SO respect and appreciate the moderators who give such careful and direct advice on here, and I am wondering how they would approach my situation

Thank you. I know this is long. I just want to get it all on here to get the best advice for me and my little family. 

Thank you so much. 

Been on Paxil since 1997
Went down from 8mg-7.5mg (less than 10%) Liquid Paxil on February 3rd 2018

Went down another .5mg (less than 10%) Liquid Paxil in March 2018

Went up to 14mg Paxil March 2018

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MamaFlower

• Skeeter

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Welcome, MamaFlower.

You haven't made a terrible mistake. 14mg Paxil helped you sleep. After a change, it takes about 4 days for a drug to get to steady-state in your bloodstream. It could be 14mg might be a bit too much for you.

Going on and off drugs makes our bodies hypersensitive to all kinds of things. This is could be what happened after the reduction to 7.5mg Paxil. Is it possible you accidentally skipped a dose? Did you take an antibiotic or any other drug?

What time of day do you take Paxil? How do you feel afterward? How often have you taken Xanax?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for your kind reply. 

I have never missed a dose. I did not take any other drugs. I was working out hard nonstop and skipping meals. I know, I know. I KNOW. 

I take the Paxil each night at 7:30pm. I only took the Xanax that one night when it didn't help me. 

Ever since the insomnia happened, I have been searching all over the web and in books and books trying to find out what is the matter with me. I just want all of the anxiety/insomnia/PTSD to just GO AWAY. Honestly, mostly just the insomnia. I feel like I could deal with every single other thing with therapy and yoga. 

But the not sleeping makes me convinced there is something broken. That's why I am thinking maybe it was the Paxil withdrawl from 8-7.5 that made me lose my marbles. When I read and read and read this forum, other people's posts, I found nobody who went up that high and then was stable. And that made me have a massive anxiety attack for days. The increase did help me sleep, but then it didn't - and when I didn't sleep again my severe PTSD and anxiety around not sleeping came rushing back full force. I thought - OH GOD I thought the Paxil increase would help and it didn't. AHHH! 

I guess I just am at a loss. I've diagnosed myself with everything you could imagine trying to comfort myself. 

The solution is to not stress. But I stress about not stressing. 

Again, I just want relief. Somehow. Someway. 

Thank you again for being here for me. I cannot tell you how incredible I think you are for doing all of this hard work to help others. I don't know how you do it, but my goodness we are all SO LUCKY that you do! 

Been on Paxil since 1997

MamaFlower,

Welcome hun,

Your not alone in this and you have come to a wonderful place

((((((hugs))))))

1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg until 2014

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

-2015 tried tapering again and crashed

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

24/09/23  14.47mg Seroquel.  16.19mg Paxil 

27/11/23.  12.13mg. Seroquel.   13.85mg Paxil

• Administrator
2 hours ago, MamaFlower said:

I went home and took the 14mg liquid Paxil on March 28th. On April 2nd I felt great. April 3rd- 9th I was back to my old self 100%, sleeping nonstop,

MamaFlower, the way I read that ^ is a slight increase in Paxil from 7.5mg was helpful, but after the 14mg ramped up -- which takes about 4 days to a week -- your nervous system said "too much."

If I were you, I would reduce by 1mg and see what happens. Don't overthink this. Situational stress doesn't help, but sleeplessness is an extremely common result of drug reductions.

Also, you're taking Paxil at night. It might help if you started moving it earlier in the day, by an hour at a time, so if it ramps after your dose, it won't disturb your sleep.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you again for your insight. I don't know how you do it.

At this point I am terrified to move it down. Last time I only moved .5 and it sent my entire system into this whole chaos so now I'm frozen. 

Do you think if I leave it at 14mg, eventually my body will adjust? 

Been on Paxil since 1997

I guess my basic question is this: 

Is it possible to go into such massive and severe withdrawal from moving from 8mg to 7.5mg? I was at 8 for years and years so it wasn't a big drop. I mean I only went down .5 --- 

Part of me is honestly hoping it's not withdrawal because if it's not I will be able to treat this bananas time with counseling and nutritional means - and then go back to my withdrawal that was so smooth and free of anything like this. With the rest of my withdrawals throughout the years I NEVER had anything like this ever happen so I am just baffled. 

I hope this makes sense! 

Michelle 

Been on Paxil since 1997

• Administrator

Withdrawal sleeplessness is grueling but withdrawal syndrome can be a lot more massive!

Yes, a relatively small decrease can cause sleeplessness. Your history of going on and off drugs makes your nervous system more vulnerable. If you ever took Paxil irregularly, that could be part of it, too.

It may take some time for recovery, but you will be able to attempt another reduction. You might be a candidate for micro-tapering, decreases less than 10%.

The way I do it is by having looked at thousands of case histories since 2004. Many of our moderators are also very experienced.

• Altostrata changed the title to MamaFlower Paxil Withdrawal or PTSD or???

Here is where I am. 

Each night I go to sleep praying that I won't have the horrific symptoms at night and each night they return. 

Then I wake up and everything feels raw. That's the only way I can explain it. It feels like every sound, every smell, even just the air on my skin is torture. The nausea is unbearable. 

I get out of bed and force myself to eat although I've lost 15 pounds since this all began a month ago. 

I shake and sweat and feel terror nonstop. 

But then I use my tools and try and build myself back up so that I can make it through the day. I am having full blown withdrawal syndrome. I had to quit my job, and cannot drive. It takes everything in me just to go for a walk to get the mail. 

I am so sad that the reinstatement didn't work for me. I was clinging to hope. I wanted SO BADLY to restabilize so that I could start fresh with a proper withdrawal. 

Now I have no clue how to proceed. What's the point of staying at 14? If I go down will everything get ten times worse? 

If I didn't have children I might be able to accept, "You will heal "in time!" But from what I've read on here, that time is 7-10 YEARS - if that. Sometimes 10 years and people are still not functioning. If I take a 6-7 year withdrawal, and then add prolonged withdrawal to that, I'm looking at what... 15 years? 

So, how do I accept that my life with my babies (ages 8, 15) who I love more than anything in this world - is over? And my husband? Do I sit them down and explain that mommy took a medicine that gave her brain damage and she can no longer function as a human being? Do I explain that maybe when they are older and with their own children I *might* be able to function, then? But that until then I'll just be a sweating, shaking, sick skinny hallow version of myself? 

I'm so angry at this drug. I'm so angry at the fact that I wasn't one of the lucky ones who reinstatement worked for. I'm so angry that I had no warning. Just one day I woke up and my life was over. Just like that, everything was taken away from me. Everything. Add in the insane hormonal changes that will be happening to me during this time as well, and it's impossible to feel any sense of joy here. I'm being honest. 

15 years is a long time to tell people to keep up hope. I will miss so many sports games, graduations, weddings... 

If I could just stop the adrenaline surges at night I feel like I'd be able to move through everything else - not easily but at least move. Not stuck in my house like the new neighborhood whack-job. My three neighbors all know what's going on and they feel so bad for me. Every day they ask if I'm better -- I guess I'll have to also tell them - ask my in 15 years. 

I want to be wrong. PLEASE if I am wrong here, correct me. Maybe I have misread things. But it seems like because the reinstatement didn't work for me at all, I have no choice but to withdrawal. And, based on what I read here (MapleLeafGirl...) even after going down SLOWLY over YEARS everything can still come roaring back years later. 

I've been on this drug for over 20 years. So, my prognosis is hopeless, correct? 

At this point I just want to reach a place of honesty with myself so that I can go to my therapist and say, OK, this is my prognosis here. Let's see if there is any way to move through this. 

I hope this makes sense. I hope this is not interpreted as attacking or mean in ANY way. I love this community and appreciate everything you do. I just can't be in denial anymore. I won't let myself be in denial anymore. I need to look at the reality of things and move from there. 

Thank you so much, 

MamaFLower

Been on Paxil since 1997

I just found this and it makes sense:

"

For what it's worth, I do not believe we can say recovery from withdrawal takes place in stages of x number of months or that there is any pattern of post-discontinuation symptom severity after 6 months or 10 months or any number of months.

What happens is that people go along feeling fairly stable and not knowing their nervous system have become hypersensitive, but then do something, such as take an antibiotic, have some drinks, or undergo a stressful life event which destabilizes them for a time."

I went through the most stressful event of my entire life just before everything shot to the surface. 

I just want to be STABLE again and have no clue if that will be possible in under 7 years... I need some hope to get me out of bed. :/

Been on Paxil since 1997

• Administrator

That looks familiar.

I believe your expectation that your recovery will take 7-10 years is an exaggeration that might be called catastrophizing. No one can tell the future.

I am sorry you are now part of the enormous scandal that is withdrawal injury from psychiatric drugs. But there you are.

If you read some Introduction topics, you will see many people start out being in despair as you are but find ways to cope with their condition and, much to their surprise, start to report slow improvement. You will need to be patient and see what happens.

I wish I could find traces of positivity on here, maybe I'm not looking in the right places. A lot of what I see are people really really struggling after years and years. 

If only I could SLEEP. Or at least be awake without constant adrenaline surges all night leaving me vomiting. How do I get my kids ready for school in the morning? How do I cook for them when the smells are so much? I also don't see many posts from Mothers which is hard. Any hope/links/people you think would be helpful for me to link up with would be wonderful! Thank you so much. 

Been on Paxil since 1997

DO you think it's possible that I have serotonin syndrome from the jump from 7.5-14mg? If so, will it resolve itself if I stay at 14mg? Or would I need to taper to get relief? If I taper, wouldn't my withdrawals just kick in times ten? Sorry - it's just so much

Been on Paxil since 1997

SO I did what you said, and I went and read a thread by a Mother/daughter. And now I am in a state of pure terror. When the daughter first wrote she was like me, and then she got WORSE and ended up going totally delusional and in and out of hospitals. 

My daughter sobbed all morning that she misses her Mama. I cannot imagine being totally delusional and in hospitals and what that would do to my family. I'm trying so hard to hold onto hope but I'm really, really having a hard time when I visit this forum. 

I need HOPE not more FEAR. 

Been on Paxil since 1997

• Moderator Emeritus

Mama,

I have had serotonin syndrome, and it was nothing like this. I had full body tremors, but absolutely no adrenaline of feeling raw, I was more out of it than anything else, I did not sleep for 3 days, but it was all very toned down I felt like I was walking on stilts, with wobbly legs, it was hard to see, but I could feel it, and my legs were sore for days after.  I have actually talked to several people who had it, and none of them sound like the issues you are having.  You may be having a reaction to the drug, possibly.  You have 2/3 choices, as 2 of them can be done in succession: 

1. Taper down 1mg like Alto advised

2. Move your dose to earlier in the day by an hour at a time to see if your symptoms happen at a different time, or to make sure any decrease or change in dose will not further affect your sleep (as Alto advised)

3. Stay right where you are, and see if your body will calm on its own.

1mg is not so much that it should kick your WD into overdrive more than right now, but we cannot tell how each person will respond.  Do you feel better about trying a .5mg reduction?

Success Stories under the main forum page is where to find good stories. 

You may not be in the right mental place to read anything but what is on YOUR PAGE. You tried doing what Alto said but for you it was not good. Many people have had issues reading others stories in the beginning, they find it triggering, and made them worry more, and have felt worse for doing so.  I suggest you stick to Success Stories or here for right now, until you are up to that.  I see you taking in all of this information, ruminating, and catastrophizing.  & years is generally for people who have quit cold turkey.  To do a slow, correct taper, and have it hit your years later is NOT what we see.  There is only one person I know who had that happen, but i have not read every story here, but out of the great many I have, it is not the case.

I hope you sleep stabilizes soon.  It sounds horrible. I am truly sorry you find yourself in this position.

I do hope things calm down soon.

Skeeter

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Thank you, Skeeter. 

This is why I am wondering if what I am having is truly withdrawal because I didn't go cold turkey. All I did was inch from 8mg to 7.5mg after being stable at 8mg for 3 years - no moving and taking it at the exact same time.  

Then extreme stress happened and then BAM no sleep with adrenaline surges. It seems PTSD might mimic withdrawal syndrome so I'm honestly not sure what I have going on. 

That's why I initially asked if you've seen this before, because I found it so baffling that such a teeny tiny nudge would cause such a HUGE reaction. 

The thing that really stuck out to me that you just said was, "I see you taking in all of this information, ruminating, and catastrophizing (which is exactly correct) & years is generally for people who have quit cold turkey.  To do a slow, correct taper, and have it hit your years later is NOT what we see...out of the great many I have, it is not the case." 

In reading everything here, I have also not seen anyone have such a major violent reaction to such a tiny decrease. Have you seen many people inch .5mg and go into full blown withdrawal syndrome? 

So, I'm thinking that perhaps my body was just incredibly stressed and my PTSD is back (because honestly this feels exactly like my PTSD) and I also have diagnosed hypochondria. So maybe I'm convincing myself that I have withdrawal syndrome when I don't? When in reality I am just having severe anxiety and PTSD? 

Each day I talk myself up and positive. And then night hits and I'm up all night with these crazy adrenaline surges and I absolutely cannot sleep. And then I am frozen in terror and what if and catastrophic ruminations. 

When I had my original PTSD episode, I was drugged and left for dead. All of the symptoms that people describe here as withdrawal syndrome were the EXACT symptoms I experienced for a month afterwards. No sleep. Hyper vigilance. Terror. Shaking. Can't see. Severe depersonalization to the point I couldn't even see my own face in the mirror. On and on and on. Panic attacks. 

So maybe that's what this is, coming back up? 

I can't read more threads, you are right. So I will ask you from the bottom of my heart and for the sake of my sweet babies: 

Have you seen many people inch .5mg and go into full blown withdrawal syndrome from that after being stable on the exact same dose for years? They were totally stable and inched .5mg and then 4 weeks later with no other changes went totally into a full blown spiral of disregulation? It doesn't seem very likely, after everything I have read but I would really love some input here so I know where to turn and what to do for myself and my children next. Please, I know this site hates SSRIs and I PROMISE YOU nobody hates them more than me, I promise, but I also really want you to be honest and let me know if you have seen many instances of what happened to me, before? And if you have, were they able to stabilize? 

Side note, is their a donations page on here? I feel like I need to make a heavy donation after being so needy these last few days. 

Mama

Been on Paxil since 1997

• Moderator Emeritus

Mama,

I feel your terror, I really do.  I am so sad that you are going through this.

No, to answer your question, I have never seen as severe of a reaction of yours with such a small drop, but I have to say everyone is different.  I have seen severe reactions, but still nothing like yours, and not so severe like this.

Can you see your doctor and see if they will try a sleep study on you?  They can see what your brain waves are doing.  When I was choosing careers, I sat in a sleep clinic for a night seeing what they do.  It is not painful, and could be helpful.

I really, truly hope this info helps. It could be your PTSD.  There is no way for me or us to know.  I am so very sorry about what happened to you.  You did not deserve that, and you do not deserve what is happening now.

I hope this resolves soon.  In my spare time, I will look up sleeping disorders.  I have medical training under my belt, I do not give medical advice here, but I am very adept at research.  If you hear nothing, I have found nothing.  Can you tell me how long is the longest amount of time you sleep at once? How long do these terrors last before you can lay down again?  This info may help, no promises.

Best to you.

Skeeter

Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Hi MamaFlower,

I wanted to tell you how very sorry I am for everything you have been through in the past and are currently experiencing. Our stories are not the same but there may be some similarities in that I have had many tapers derailed by stress and it (stress) inducing full blown withdrawal.  Usually updosing the AD - in my case, citalopram - would calm things down over time. However, more recently,  I didn't change anything for over one year with my dose, experienced stress and once again started having withdrawal, or withdrawal-like symptoms. Increasing the AD did not help me so now I am slowly trying to reduce citalopram all the while feeling withdrawal symptoms.  I think there must be some link with stress and that these medications reduce our ability to handle stress over time, causing some of us to go into withdrawal when hit with something stressful, at least that has been my experience now several times.

I have read through here too trying to find someone who has had my exact experience, but as Skeeter said, we are all different.  However, we do have something in common with these drugs playing some role in where we find ourselves today.

I so hope you do find some relief as you work your way through your next steps.  You are not alone, MamaFlower.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

Thank you both for these replies. 

Skeeter, I have a feeling it's related to blood sugar/stress/adrenals. I like your idea of a sleep study, and think I might go that route next. My fear is that they will try and throw benzos at me, which I refuse to do. There HAS to be some other way than poisoning myself, to get some sleep.  I fall asleep for maybe 2 minutes and then BAM a surge of adrenaline. I am able to breathe and walk around and it will away within 10 minutes. They are often accompanied by a huge anxious thought as well- like someone shouting, "THIS IS NEVER GOING AWAY!" And the physical reaction. 

Then, when I try to sleep again, it starts again. Sometimes I am able to sleep an hour or 2. I think the max I've been able to sleep in the last two has been 3 hours. It happens even when I try to nap. 

Part of me thinks my brain has developed a fear of the surges, thus causing the surges- my brain associates sleep with being life threatening and terrifying instead of restful and safe. I don't know. I'm just confused. 

Wantrelief - for me because my initial diagnosis was severe PTSD, when I get stressed and am not using my skills, my PTSD comes back - not necessarily withdrawal. If that makes sense. Because the symptoms of PTSD mimic the symptoms of withdrawal so closely, it can be hard for me to tell. 

But with this last occurrence I was baffled because I have never had these weird insomnia surges before. When I google them, there are hundreds and hundreds of posts on forums of all kinds about them, but zero solutions or medical explanations.  

Thank you for all of your patience with me. I know I'm not your typical poster on here. It's just really tricky to find answers in a medical world where the solution to everything is to throw more drugs at the problem. Thank you, a million times. 

One more question, because I'm not allowed to look on the other threads just yet, if the insomnia IS from withdrawal, what do others do about it aside from benzos or sleeping pills? Thanks again. 

Been on Paxil since 1997

• Moderator Emeritus

Mama,

Let me change that, you are not supposed to read other peoples threads right now, however, you may read the threads under Forums> Symptoms and Self Care.  I have already started researching for you, but that i one of the reasons they like me here, I know how to tease out just the info i want.  I am never 100% successful, but sometimes I can find something. If you want to search insomnia, for example, the best way to do that is to go to your favorite Google.com, whatever), and type in: survivingantidepressants, insomnia and hit enter.  Sometimes our search bar here is not so good.  Just be careful to look for information posts (you can try our search bar first while in the Symptoms and Self Care area to be safe.

I was actually wondering about something with the adrenals or something myself, but I need to remind myself and tell you (but remember, you are not our typical member, with your significant history, and how your symptoms came on), most medical tests come out negative for those with WD related things.  SO please look at any negative test as a *POSITIVE* thing.  With PTSD, that is some different territory.  The body can do all of these things itself.  Sleep study came to mind because I remember a person that came in the night I was working, who just kept waking up.  For them they were able to dx it based on the brain waves.  This only works if you have insurance to cover, of course.  Sleep studies are expensive. It if is PTSD, they will not find anything wrong as well, possibly. 

I am worried about your mind making it worse, because you had a fear of not sleeping since you were a child, so in other words, this is your worst nightmare, right?  It sounds like you are familiar with therapy, so if you have a therapist, that is another route you can choose to take. Maybe they can tease out what we cannot?  If it is PTSD, or suspected to be that, there are al sorts of therapies they can try now.  Please empower yourself in case this is it.

Please tell me about your days.  how do you feel, how do you spend your time.  Are you staying busy, or are you worried about your symptoms?  If the latter, there are all sorts of activities in the Symptoms and Self Care threads.

Thanks for all of the info!!

Skeeter

My main symptom is the insomnia. When I sleep normally, like I did for a full week this month, every single other ailment goes away. 

When I don't sleep, I spend my days reading blogs nonstop terrified in my bed. Searching and searching and searching for WHY this is happening. And looking for some magical way to sleep that isn't taking an evil pill. 

Is there a place on here with sleep solutions that aren't part of Big Pharma? 

I start therapy on Monday. I am praying it helps. :)

Thank you again times a million. I truly am beyond grateful. If only I had this site in 1997 ;) 

Been on Paxil since 1997

I guess I just mean - since insomnia is one of the major symptoms of withdrawal, what do others do? Just not sleep? 

Been on Paxil since 1997

• Moderator Emeritus

Mama,

You made me grin!

Any depression, GI symptoms, cardiac, anxiety, etc?  That is what I meant...lol!  If this is your only issue, the sleep, I am thinking les that it is the drug, though another mod may not agree with me on this.  I have not yet run into issues with sleep and NOTHING else.  Let me restate it, I have never seen a person with severe sllep issues such as yours, waking up after 5 minutes feeling "raw", as you described, multiple times a night, like someone is maybe hmmm, plugging you into an electrical socket perhaps (If that is not quite right, you can give me an example of yours, this is how I imagine it to be), and then be asymptomatic the rest of the time.  I think a sleep study is a good start, and if nothing there, and maybe a second opinion at an endocrinologist, if your therapist agrees, and your GP, of course.  These are just options, of course, do not have to take my advice, of course!!  If you liked the first Endo, and feel they were thorough, great, no need!

Thanks!

Skeeter

• Moderator Emeritus

Mama,

How about all of this stuff, "Sounds, smells, dizzy, insomnia, burning skin, numb hands and feet, severe depersonalization, OCD obsession with looking up symptoms and possible causes all day every single day...  "

BTW, you need to stop looking on the web for things, it will make you worry more.  if you want to watch something, go to youtube and watch funny videos!!  Okay?

Be Well,

Skeeter

Skeeter, 

The insomnia causes me to have profound anxiety attacks. Because of my PTSD and me being SO afraid of not sleeping, when I don't sleep I end up in a tangle of violent nausea, anxiety, heart pounding, adrenaline surges when I think of the word "sleep." But on the nights when I sleep, every single other symptom seems to go away. That's why I truly think I'm having some sort of PTSD adrenal crash or something. Because if it was the drugs, I wouldn't be able to control the symptoms just by sleeping. Or maybe I would... I have no clue. On the nights when I slept, the next day I had zero, and I mean ZERO symptoms. But then when I don't sleep my entire body goes into a constant panic, rumination, catastrophic, PTSD tornado about not sleeping. The nightly surges are just honest terrifying and feel like torture!! 

My pms and period time have always been horrific - and I've always had tremendous anxiety around those times as well. I went to my endocrinologist and gyno when they first happened and she told me this is classic perimenopause and when I asked what the cure is she said Birth Control Pills or major sleeping aids. UGH! WHY!???

It's funny you mentioned plugging into an electrical socket because that is exactly what it feels like and my neighbor tried telling me there are people who are zapping other people with electrical devices. And I was like listen pal, I have the WORST anxiety you can imagine, you do NOT want to tell me that. haha! 

Been on Paxil since 1997

I hope I'm being clear. 

I have a million other symptoms (especially in the morning) that include: "Sounds, smells, dizzy, insomnia, burning skin, numb hands and feet, severe depersonalization, OCD obsession with looking up symptoms and possible causes all day every single day...  " Like just the sound of my kids getting their cereal bowls shocks through my body -- but ONLY on nights when I don't sleep and I am up all night having these nonstop panic adrenal surges. 

I hope that makes better sense. 

Been on Paxil since 1997

• Moderator Emeritus

Mama,

Perfect, THAT is what I was looking for. symptoms wise.  I am so pleased you are seeing your therapist.  Your fear of not sleeping has to make this even worse.  Do you know where that came from?  It is a rational fear, but sometimes it comes from events. I just figured out last week where my fear of police pulling me over came from!  I have worked with the police for years doing 911 EMS, never afraid there, but if I get pulled over, I WIG! I have friends who are cops even, sheesh! The police stormed my house with guns blazing when I was 4, when I was 8, my Aunt's car got pulled over.  I was literally climbing over other people to get away from him, but I saved her from getting a ticket, the poor officer felt just terrible that I was so terrified of him...lol.  I though the 8 year old event as what caused my fear, but no, it was the events before that at 4 which caused the police to come to my house.  See what I mean!?!? Now you know a bit about me!

Be a good Mama to your babies on your good days, okay?  You will feel better, and so will they!

Your symptoms are related to lack of sleep, it seems, right? So you actually have one problem that causes a host of symptoms when it rears its ugly head.  AT this point you know more about PTSD than I, are these things common with PTSD survivors (surviving a horrific event, I mean), does WD and PTSD have these things in common?  WIth WD, usually sleep does not relieve these things, note I said USUALLY! Hmmm.  Will check some more research.  I know, probably no more than you have found, but I love to learn, so even this has possibilities, actually.

I agree with you on the benzo's.  It may not be a bad thing to try for one night, if they wish to do a trial, but I would call it at that- if they were to try it for diagnostic purposes, I mean. Not to turn you into a lab rat!!

Be well!!

Skeeter

• Moderator Emeritus

Mama,"

JACKPOT!  Search "adrenaline surges at night." I found one person that was able to stop the adrenaline surges  that woke her up multiple times at night after suffering for 2 weeks by using visualization and relaxation. She developed a fear of sleeping, which only made things worse, sound familiar?  Press the blue arrow below the little intro of this person's story to see the rest...

https://www.medhelp.org/posts/Anxiety/possible-answer-to-adrenaline-surges-at-night/show/1421268

NOTE: READ THE FIRST 2 COMMENTS ONLY BELOW THE STORY!! The first one gives a diagnosis one lady had (had your iron levels checked lately?).  She had this happen too her from having too much iron in her blood, and was fine after having that issue taken care of  medically(yay!), the second found relief with an OTC product, but please do your research, or ask me to help if you are going to try this, as anything you put in your body can easily backfire on you.  Click below this persons story on "read 187 responses" -  but only read the first 2, beyond that, it is other people in yo ur situation. Anything you wish to try (OTC), let me know, if you want, and I will help research it for you. 

I do suggest just reading the medical articles you find, as the personal stories and comments after can scare you more1

Be well!

Skeeter

Edited by Skeeter
Added info.

• Moderator Emeritus

Mama,

Continuation of above message...

Here are other helpful comments from the above link, far too many people are suggesting benzo's. or had not found anything that works, but who knows what they tried, if anything, right?:

"After dealing with these horrible sensations for almost five years, seeing numerous doctors, many sleepless nights, reading countless posts from people with the same issues...I have FINALLY found out what it is. It's an inner ear issue and vertigo. One easy test to see if it is - if the the sensations disappear after sitting up and you can fall asleep like that, go see an ENT. I feel for anyone who has to deal with this crap - it's horrible, but even moreso because doctors have no idea what it is because we are all saying it's adrenaline because there's no other way to describe it so they start passing out Xanax and the like. "

I do not suggest this, as it can be dangerous, but anything helpful, I do want to bring to your attention, so take with a grain of salt, other reports say regular cervical (neck) adjustments were enough, not specialty chiro's...

"I had this adrenaline surge problem for a long time and FINALLY found the source of the problem and the solution.  Two words: atlas subluxation!  Three more words: upper cervical chiropractor!  I think there is an epidemic that most doctors fail to recognize or simply don't know about that is causing all sorts of unexplainable health problems for people.  If your atlas bone (the topmost vertabrae) is misaligned (mine was due to a past head or neck injury), it puts pressure on your brainstem and affects your nervous system (google it).  Ordinary chiroprators aren't trained to adjust the top two vertebrae, so you must seek out an upper cervical chiropractor.  Most of them offer a free consultation.  Trust me, and look into it! "

Diet related:

"Guys, try these:
1) Do not eat anything 5-6 hours before going to bed, only drink pure water if you want
2) Experiment with your diet, exclude a group of products and see how it works for you. I have felt a lot better without milk and it's derivatives
3) Eat healthy, exclude caffeine and junk food
The most important thing is number 1.
I've visited numerous docs, with no effect at all - they all told me it is stress related thing.
I was trying to find a pattern myself, it took me two years and a lot of trouble to figure it out. One day I took a huge milk protein shake right before going to bed, and powerful rushes & sleepless night followed.
After excluding milk and not eating 5-6 hours before going to bed I am fine, no rushes. "

Multiple posts about sleeping on your back:

"Well, what I am about to say, might surprise you, like it surprised my  wife and I.
My wife had a sleeping problem: when she about just about to fall asleep, she would get a rush of adrenaline, heart palpitations, etc. No doctors could exactly pinpoint the cause... until she met this woman doctor of 34 years of experience... and she immediately told her that it was caused by her NECK. But my wife had no sore neck. The doctor told her to buy an orthopedic pillow and to sleep on her back with a pillow under her knees.
WELL IT WORKS!!  That cured my wife problems! No more anxiety and sleeping pills!
I hope this will help some of you! If it does, let me know. "

***Many people say cutting out caffeine was a big key in stopping this from happening.  I would gradually cut it out rather than all at once.  If you drink soda, please know Root Beer does not have caffeine in it. I assume you do not smoke, that never is good.

Hope I did not make your head spin.  Know that personal stories where they have not yet figured out what is causing it, and not considering that their mind and fears can cause bigger problems at times can be detrimental if we do not think maybe our fears can cause things to get worse.  Sometimes it is a heart issue.  Sometimes sleep apnea (This is where a sleep study is helpful!). Whatever you do, know I am not saying this is in your head,  how you react to this can change things in SOME circumstances, but not all, for sure!  That sis one thing I noticed in reading so many comments, the ones really struggling did not talk about therapy, or working on relaxation, or learning not to fear these surges, the people who accepted them, and stopped being afraid to go to bed are the ones that fared so much better, IMHO.

• 1 month later...

Hello.

Here I am, again. 

June 16th and still experiencing what feels like hell. 

My doctor's and therapists all diagnosed me with severe PTSD. However, I cannot shake my belief that this is all caused by Paxil withdrawal. Now, because I read so many horror stories on here, and one in particular about a mother posting about her daughter, the thought of this being paxil withdrawal is terrifying for me. 

I am still on 14mg of Paxil. I still have nights of constant adrenaline surges. And I still read online nonstop trying to find out what the heck is causing them. My therapists and doctors say the surges are caused by trauma and my body trying to process the trauma. 

They want me to let go of the fear that this is all related to paxil withdrawal. So, that is what I am here for. I know this goes against what most mods are comfortable answering, but myself and my family need to let this go OR face it head-on and try and make sure I don't get worse like the mother who posted about her daughter who kept deteriorating to the point of psychosis. That is what I am most afraid of happening. 

I am asking only for feedback and information from the mods on this one, please. 

You can read my initial post for the full story/history, but briefly:

1) February, went down .5 (but it might have been 1mg some nights if I'm not sure) from 8 - 7.5 - had minor symptoms (tiny brain zaps for a few days that passed)

2) March adrenaline surges when trying to sleep - severe insomnia 

3) Went up to 14mg Paxil in early March - insomnia got worse and night terrors and severe body symptoms after these sleepless nights but then I got better

4) Came on here and posted and felt calmer being told it was not Paxil withdrawal 

5) Here I am, 4 months after going down .5mg and now AGAIN suffering severe anxiety, adrenaline surges, night terrors, PTSD symptoms related to my trauma - It went away and now it's back! Would a .5 decrease followed by a big reinstatement cause me to get WORSE 3 months after reinstatement? If so, can you link the other people who have been through this so I can relate to someone? 

I cannot let go of the possibility that I am having paxil withdrawal syndrome because the symptoms are exactly the same as PTSD. I compared the lists and honestly they are identical. The thing is, on here, and even on your reinstatement page, you always say that the strong withdrawal symptoms and severe nervous system breakdown happen after the discontinuation is done.

Have you ever seen someone have severe nervous symptom breakdown and psychosis from going down only .5 or even 1mg after years and years and years of stablity???? That is the answer I am looking for. Please. I am begging you. If you have seen this on here, PLEASE help me find them so that I can connect and not feel SO ALONE. 

I'm stuck. No doctor knows enough about paxil withdrawal to help me. 

So, Skeeter, I know you have never seen a severe reaction like the one I am describing from such a tiny decrease, and I am so grateful you said that. I think what got me scared again was the person who posted after you saying that it happened to her (although not exactly my circumstances because she didn't mention if she had been stable for years and then just barely decreased like me). 

I feel like I am losing my mind. My anxiety about this has caused me and my family severe suffering. I have panic attacks all day and depersonalize and am really, really struggling. We need your help so that I can stabalize my anxiety SO THAT I CAN TRY AND GET OFF THIS POISON AGAIN someday. I cannot get there unless I have some answers. I hope this makes sense. 

I cannot read everything on here, so, I am asking you. 

Have you ever seen someone else, in all of these posts, be totally stable for years and years, move down .5mg, reinstate, and then months later get worse and worse and worse and worse? Like I am? 

Is this paxil withdrawal or PTSD? In your opinion? 

Thank you, 

Michelle 

Been on Paxil since 1997

I have been waiting 3 months for my reinstatement to stabilize but I am getting worse and worse and worse withdrawal symptoms every single day. Is this possible??? 

Been on Paxil since 1997

Let me make this simpler. 

If I went down from 8mg - 7mg in early February (let's say worst case scenario based on my fuzzy memory) after being stable for many years at 8, and let's say I didn't reinstate, based on the accounts on this website forum and your experience, I would be stabilized by now, 4 months later, correct? Even if I was not stabilized by now, I would not be getting worse, correct? 

If you have other accounts to prove your answers, this would be very helpful to me and my family. Thank you. 

8mg was my initial dose. I used your formula and went even MORE delicate and decreased 6.25%.  I had NO side effects at all. The next month, I went down 6.6% and arrived at 7mg. At this point I had a complete and severe nervous breakdown. 

Have you ever seen anyone have prolonged, extreme receptor loss from this? If so, please show us so we can get support. 

That is the information I am looking for. It's been 4 months now, and I'm getting worse. 

Thank you. 

Edited by MamaFlower
clarification

Been on Paxil since 1997

• ChessieCat changed the title to MamaFlower: Paxil withdrawal or PTSD or ???
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi MamaFlower,

To help us out please create your drug signature.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.  Dates, drugs, doses ONLY - no symptoms or diagnoses.  If we need the information about symptoms and diagnoses we will read your topic.

Please provide the answer to the following questions in an easy to read format.  The mods are experiencing their own withdrawal (as well as dealing with many members on the site) and it can be difficult and frustrating trying to find the needed information when we have to read a lot of text - thank you:

Q1:  Are you taking any other drugs and/or supplements (prescription/OTC), even if only taken occasionally?

Q2:  What time of day do you take your drug?

Q3:  What is your current daily symptom pattern, ie please tell us the symptom and the approximate time that the symptom happens?

Q4:  Please also list what symptoms have worsened, what has stayed the same and what has improved (if any), since you reinstated.

The answer to these questions might help the mods be able to work out what is happening.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hello. I did create a drug signature when I first joined. Not sure where it went. Hmmm. 

I will keep my questions as straight forward as humanly possible (yes or no is perfect): 

1) Has anyone followed your suggested 10% program, gone down their initial 1mg of Paxil over 2 months and not had any stability in the next 4 month period, and in fact, gotten much much worse? 

2) Have you seen anyone follow your 10% program, go down their initial 2 drops, and never stabilize? 

Thank you, 

Michelle

Been on Paxil since 1997

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MF,

Thank you for creating your drug signature.  When we join SA we are asked about the drugs we are taking but it for the admins.  I did the same thing and was surprised when I was asked to create my drug signature.  I thought I was going a bit crazy.

Please respond to these questions:

On 6/17/2018 at 9:00 AM, ChessieCat said:

Q2:  What time of day do you take your drug?

Q3:  What is your current daily symptom pattern, ie please tell us the symptom and the approximate time that the symptom happens?

Q4:  Please also list what symptoms have worsened, what has stayed the same and what has improved (if any), since you reinstated.

The answer to these questions might help the mods be able to work out what is happening.

7 minutes ago, MamaFlower said:

Hi, Cheeky. 

I have been on paxil since 1997. I was on a very low dose of 8mg. 

In February I wanted to try and wean so I went from 8.0 to 7.5 and felt nothing for a month. I then went from 7.5 - 7.0. 

I then went completely insane. No sleep for 12 days, panic attacks nonstop, couldn't eat, sleep or stop horrifying racing thoughts. Thought I needed to go to the hospital and be locked away forever. 

It's been 4 months and I am getting worse. No stabilization. So now I am wondering if it's not paxil withdrawal. 

My therapist believes I am having PTSD from a trauma that took place in February, but I cannot stop thinking it's the paxil and I will never, ever stabilize. 

Have you ever heard of someone dropping such a tiny amount and not being able to stabilize? 

I want to move forward with healing from my PTSD, but I cannot shake this belief that this is all from paxil withdrawal and I will forever be like this. 

Four months is a long, long, long time to feel so awful and not be getting any improvements at all. Have you seen this before on here? 

Thanks, 

Michelle

The fact that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms means that you have reduced too much.  SA's 10% reduction is on the current dose, not the starting dose, so your reduction was more than 10%.

Please answer the questions I asked above.  The mods need this information to try and work out what is happening and whether you should stay at the dose you are on or increase your dose by a very tiny amount.

Many members find that as their dose gets lower they need to go slower.  Please see this topic which might help you to understand why this is:  Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

"so your reduction was more than 10%."

I'm sorry but I disagree with your math. 

I went from 8.0 to 7.5mg. 

10% of 8.0 is .8 which would mean going 10% would be 7.2mg. I didn't want to go that far, so I did 7.5mg which is less of a 10% drop. 

I am begging you to please answer my two questions. I'm not clear why you need more information from me to answer these two questions. 

I am begging you. In your, or other mod's experiences:

1) Has anyone followed your suggested 10% program, gone down their initial 1mg of Paxil over 2 months and not had any stability in the next 4 month period, and in fact, gotten much much worse? 

2) Have you seen anyone follow your 10% program, go down their initial 2 drops, and never stabilize? 

I need this information for my CBT therapy that is helping me work through my PTSD and withdrawal. 

Please. I am begging you. I need facts so that I can move forward with hope. 

Michelle

Been on Paxil since 1997