Lloyd59: Zyprexa withdrawals

Lloyd59

Hi everyone. im into my 4th wk of Withdrawals after coming down off Zyprexa Wafers 15mg. I did cut down from 15mg then 2wks later 10mg then another 2wks later 5mg then 2wks later i quit. So here i am for the past 4 an a halve wks still suffering Withdrawals plenty aches an pains mostly in my legs some headaches an some Dissy Spells an terrible insomnia for which ive been taking Melatonin for past 2wks with very little effect. Would like to know if my Withdrawal Symptoms are the norm and for how long will i expect to have these ?? I was on Zyprexa for 7-8yrs. Since coming off Zyprexa my mind is very clear and while it's tough i think this is what is keeping me going to see it thru. Any advice on how long i can expect to have my symptoms etc. Take care   Lloyd 

I was treated for major depression some 7-8yrs ago and put on Mertazipine 30mg my PDr increased this to 60mg some 2yrs later and at this time she put me on ZyprexaWafers 5mg then a yr later increased to 10mg. And just 2yrs ago my Dr said i could take 15mg if i felt i needed it and i only used this dose from time to time. I decided that afew months ago that i didnt need my meds an decided to drop my Mirtazapine 5mths ago from 60mg to 30mg. No major adverse effects. 3mths ago i decided to come off Zyprexa and went in 2-3wkly steps from 15mg to 10mg to 5mg to zero 3wks later. My only Antidepressant tablet im currently taking is 30mg Mirtazapine. I am on other medications for my physical health. Lloyd 

• Altostrata changed the title to Lloyd59 Zyprexa Withdrawals
  • Administrator

Welcome, Lloyd.

You have withdrawal symptoms from tapering Zyprexa too fast. If I were you, I'd reinstate 2.5mg right away, stabilize, then taper off much more slowly. See

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, Lloyd59 said:

Hi everyone. im into my 4th wk of Withdrawals after coming down off Zyprexa Wafers 15mg. I did cut down from 15mg then 2wks later 10mg then another 2wks later 5mg then 2wks later i quit. So here i am for the past 4 an a halve wks still suffering Withdrawals plenty aches an pains mostly in my legs some headaches an some Dissy Spells an terrible insomnia for which ive been taking Melatonin for past 2wks with very little effect. Would like to know if my Withdrawal Symptoms are the norm and for how long will i expect to have these ?? I was on Zyprexa for 7-8yrs. Since coming off Zyprexa my mind is very clear and while it's tough i think this is what is keeping me going to see it thru. Any advice on how long i can expect to have my symptoms etc. Take care   Lloyd 

Hi Lloyd,

i did a pretty fast taper of Zyprexa too.  i had been on 17.5 mg for 14 years and finally quit the drug in 2014 .   i cut the dose to 10 mg and then 7.5mg about 3 years before i stopped taking the pill and later just quit the drug from the 7.5mg dose.  the first couple weeks were traumatic for me- lots of projectile vomiting and blood sugar drops that had me crawling around my apartment on my hands and knees to the refrigerator to drink down bottles of oyster sauce or salad dressings for proteins and sugars so that i wouldn't black out and collapse. 

being off of zyprexa was the same with me-  i felt better mentally and had more energy, but the sleep issues/insomnia were terrible and the poor sleep quality and non restorative sleep i still struggle with 4 years later.  Melatonin didn't really work for me either, but i did find that long fast walks, between 4-6 miles a night were helpful for sleep.  i even managed to lose 40 lbs of weight i had put on from the pill. 

Derek (Poetjester)  

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Hi Derek , sounds like you had some of the same symptoms as me mate. I to like you not giving in to these Withdrawals as terrible as they are. I do get some exercise by going to shops every day and that helps keep my mind of the Withdrawals. I also have other physical health issues which i have treatment for an Zyprexa was only hampering these plus i don't need it anymore and i should got rid of it long time ago. Anyway im sure I'll be just like you an beat this Drug forever. Take care mate  Lloyd 

I was treated for major depression some 7-8yrs ago and put on Mertazipine 30mg my PDr increased this to 60mg some 2yrs later and at this time she put me on ZyprexaWafers 5mg then a yr later increased to 10mg. And just 2yrs ago my Dr said i could take 15mg if i felt i needed it and i only used this dose from time to time. I decided that afew months ago that i didnt need my meds an decided to drop my Mirtazapine 5mths ago from 60mg to 30mg. No major adverse effects. 3mths ago i decided to come off Zyprexa and went in 2-3wkly steps from 15mg to 10mg to 5mg to zero 3wks later. My only Antidepressant tablet im currently taking is 30mg Mirtazapine. I am on other medications for my physical health. Lloyd 

On 22 April 2018 at 5:15 PM, Lloyd59 said:

Hi Derek , sounds like you had some of the same symptoms as me mate. I to like you not giving in to these Withdrawals as terrible as they are. I do get some exercise by going to shops every day and that helps keep my mind of the Withdrawals. I also have other physical health issues which i have treatment for an Zyprexa was only hampering these plus i don't need it anymore and i should got rid of it long time ago. Anyway im sure I'll be just like you an beat this Drug forever. Take care mate  Lloyd 

You need to follow Altostrata's advice ASAP.If you wait for more days, reinstatement will not work. As soon as you reinstate small dose you will feel much better.

Trust me tapering from low dose is cake walk.

I am writing this because 5mg of olanzapine is not a small dose and it can cause alteration in brain.

Iam still suffering 1 mg coldturkey of risperidone after usage of just one month.

It is 2 years and I am still suffering hypnopompic hallucinations.

I am believing that my REM sleep messed up and permenantly changed.

So please take care.

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Withdrawal symptoms settled at dreamful,disturbing sleep.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

Tapering olanzapine 10 m.g from February 2017.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

Almost no symptoms and sleep is better,So started 0.5 ml from 17-12-2018.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, Lloyd59 said:

Hi everyone. im into my 4th wk of Withdrawals after coming down off Zyprexa Wafers 15mg. 

Lloyd, when you get a chance, please create a "signature" so people can see at a glance what your recent dosages and changes are:

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.

Welcome to SA. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 2 months later...

@Lloyd59, hows it going? 

IF yourre curious about future you can look into my threads and/or posts. Hopefully you have faster recovery. Wish you best luck. 

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lloyd59: Zyprexa withdrawals