The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

brassmonkey

• Mentor
21 hours ago, VaultOne said:

I just began my re-taper after a late reinstatement that has been partially successful. I was quite taken aback by the adverse reaction I had to my first 5% drop. I must have been very lucky when I weaned from 100 mg of Zoloft before I jumped off in January. I did a 10% a month taper with minimal WD symptoms aside from brain zaps and lightheadedness which only lasted a day or two after my reduction. Of course I hit protracted withdrawal two weeks after my jump and have been there ever since. I wonder if I’m going to have a much more difficult time with my drops now that my system has been sensitized and my reinstatement as never really settled my WD symptoms. Although they have improved. Perhaps I should wait longer before proceeding with more  drops . @brassmonkey I am going to drop down to the slide method and begin my 2.5% drops in 4 to 6 weeks once my system settles. Out of curiosity if I have an adverse reaction do you recommend up-dosing a small amount or holding until I settle?  Thanks. 

I'd wait a bit before reducing further aiming to stabilize.

6 months at the same dose go by quick, would help you stabilize week by week and your body would thank you for being gentle.

The thing is, we all want to be out and away from this as quick as possible - still, it's much better and smarter to go slow and once you're off, you're done with it for good.

Don't rush it!

Peace and healing

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 3 weeks later...

i have a question about this method.

I don't know if its informed on the post, but the reduction is always the same rate of 2.5% of the full dose, or you reduce 2.5% of the last dose?

Like if u start with 10mg u start by removing 0.25mg peer week, this 0.25 will be followed till the end?

Being under several meds, most antipsychotics, benzos in small periods as mood regulators. (reason: the usage of cannabis induced me severe psychosis 7 times in my life)

12 year under meds, Haldol, Risperidone (2 years), Seroquel (2 years), Aripiprazole (6-7 years) as main meds.

Clonazepam, depakene ,lithium, alprazolam in short periods, at hospitalizations (6) was under several meds at time.

2019 went cold turkey on aripiprazole after years taking it, 4 months of intense suffering, recovered after month 4-5, was doing pretty well till going back on the use of cannabis and got psychotic again

november 2019 - april 2020 spent on drug clinic, got out of it under the use of Lithium (1200mg) Depakene (700mg) Clonazapam (2mg) Olanzapine (5mg)

Between May-July 2020 i tapered of completely Clonazepam and Depakene not much problem from where i was already standing

19/10 2020 started tapering lithium - 300mg morning 600mg night

26/10 2020 lithium 300mg morning 300 mg night

30/11 2020 lithium 150mg morning 300 mg night

*Planning to start liquid 10% taper with Olanzapine in 2021 few months after ending lithium tapper.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Mahadeva The reduction is based on the current dose, not the original or starting dose.  So if you are taking 100mg the first reduction is 90mg, the next reduction is 10% off 90mg (not 100mg) so it would be 81mg.

Please see Post #1 of this topic.  At the bottom of the post you will see 2 graphs, one is the graph of a 10% hyperbolic taper (calculated on previous dose) and the other one is a 10% linear taper (calculated on the original/starting dose).

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions. 

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

3 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

@Mahadeva The reduction is based on the current dose, not the original or starting dose.  So if you are taking 100mg the first reduction is 90mg, the next reduction is 10% off 90mg (not 100mg) so it would be 81mg.

Please see Post #1 of this topic.  At the bottom of the post you will see 2 graphs, one is the graph of a 10% hyperbolic taper (calculated on previous dose) and the other one is a 10% linear taper (calculated on the original/starting dose).

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

Ty Chessie,

It's really not safe in my case were i'm doing the standart 10% month liquid suspension taper at 5mg of Olanzapine, and when i reach 1mg following the schedule, to reduce from 1mg to 0 in 12 months? I'm afraid of needing to do the whole process for 6 years, when i will be 36 years old, and not being able to have a job and study because of this meds, i have been taking them many kinds, mostly anti psychotics for 12 years, and i'm unable to sleep well, wake up before 12 pm, cognitive and memory problems, so i cant have a job or study right now.

3 years ago after a psychotic outbreak , when the crisis went off i went cold turkey on 10mg aripirazole, i went throught a hell for 4 months, not psychotic, but a living nightmare, and on the 5 month i started to take back magnesium and valerian capsules, and i very quickly improved , on the 6-7 month i was feeling great and my life was back really quick.  I stayed like that for 1 year before going back to smoking weed and having another psychotic outbreak and put on meds again, so i think my brain had a good reset for 1 years,dunno, i don't want to mess the taper, but 6-8 years seems so much .

Being under several meds, most antipsychotics, benzos in small periods as mood regulators. (reason: the usage of cannabis induced me severe psychosis 7 times in my life)

12 year under meds, Haldol, Risperidone (2 years), Seroquel (2 years), Aripiprazole (6-7 years) as main meds.

Clonazepam, depakene ,lithium, alprazolam in short periods, at hospitalizations (6) was under several meds at time.

2019 went cold turkey on aripiprazole after years taking it, 4 months of intense suffering, recovered after month 4-5, was doing pretty well till going back on the use of cannabis and got psychotic again

november 2019 - april 2020 spent on drug clinic, got out of it under the use of Lithium (1200mg) Depakene (700mg) Clonazapam (2mg) Olanzapine (5mg)

Between May-July 2020 i tapered of completely Clonazepam and Depakene not much problem from where i was already standing

19/10 2020 started tapering lithium - 300mg morning 600mg night

26/10 2020 lithium 300mg morning 300 mg night

30/11 2020 lithium 150mg morning 300 mg night

*Planning to start liquid 10% taper with Olanzapine in 2021 few months after ending lithium tapper.

The Brassmonkey Slide calculates the reduction in both ways. The overall 10% reduction is calculated off of the previous dose to provide the hyperbolic taper. While the 2.5% reductions are calculated off of the current dose.

If your previous does was 10mg a 10% reduction would give you a new total dose of 9mg. 

That reduction is broken into 4 equal parts of 2.5% each giving doses of 9.75mg, 9.5mg, 9.25mg and 9mg. Which are taken on successive weeks. The 9mg is then held for an additional 2 weeks. 

the next reduction cycle is calculated based on 9mg (9 X 0.9= new total reduction) and that reduction is divided into 4 equal parts of 2.5%.

Do not smoke weed while tapering psych drugs, it is almost guaranteed to derail your tapering process and set you back many months.

Tapering these drugs is a long and sometime difficult process, but it cant be rushed. The Brassmonkey Slide Method has a basic half life of 9 months. So if you are currently taking 10mg, nine months from now you will be taking 5mg and nine months after that 2.5mg. And so on until you reach about 0.02mg where it will be safe to make the jump to "0". If you try to speed things up it will more than likely take even longer.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I have been tapering for two years now using this method and it has saved me. I am almost done and thanks to this I went from thinking I wasn’t going to make it through to having almost no withdrawal symptoms the entire time, so thank you so much for coming up with this amazing method @brassmonkey, it’s been amazing. 

2009-2018: 15mg Celexa

June 2018-January 2019: .5mg-1mg Ativan

2010-June 2021: Marvelon (Birth Control) 

September 2018-December 2021: Prozac reinstated 1mg (.25ml) April 21st 2019 , updosed to .32ml June 19, 2019 & started taper in October 2019.

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

I have been doing this method since June 2020 and am now at 2/3 of my original dose with no loss of stability and a continual, gradual improvement in how I'm feeling. I also have more energy. At first I was reluctant to do the two week hold but I did it and have come to realise it's vital to give me a break from all the drops which do take a toll in the 3rd and 4th weeks. I now appreciate the two week hold very much as a time to adjust, start feeling a lot better and preparing to go again. Thanks @brassmonkey🙂

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019

April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine 7.5

October 2019 - about 4 Nov 6mg Mirtazepine 

4-13 Nov anxiety & sleep problems caused by change of brand & jumping around with doses

13 Nov 2019 to 7 Dec 2019 10mg Mirtazepine 

8-10 Dec 2019 15mg Mirtazepine 

11 Dec 2019 to 14 Dec 12.5mg Mirtazepine 

15 December 2019 to 13 June 2021 15mg Mirtazepine 

14 June 2021 started brass monkey Slide.  
2021: 23 August 12.3mg, 28 October 11.1mg, 6 Dec 10mg

2022: 12 Feb 8.5, 27 Feb 8.1, 22 March 7.7, 5 May 6.9, 25 July 5.7, 12 Sept 5mg (yayyyy)

• 3 months later...

This taper  is interesting i might do this with seroquel

I had psychosis supersensitivity from going 50 to 0 cold turkey ,i hope it will resolve with a slow taper like this

April 2020 Zuclopenthixol decanoate    quetiapine,sertraline 150 mg

march or april 2021  st john worth (highest strenght),nicotine

2021  tapered Quetiapine   once a month  reductions  300mg, 200mg  ,100 , april 50 mg stopped  Cold turkey, april st john worth

May  sertraline 150 mg, st john worth (highest strenght),nicotine,loratadine

may:experienced  symtoms i never had before treatment (intense delusion,intense paranoia)

Rehospitalization

Sertraline  150 mg stopped cold turkey during rehospitalization

Zuclopenthixol decanoate  depot injection (in june)2021 and restarted 400 mg,200mg quetiapine.curently tapering.On 263mgpw(taken 2x day)

May neuroplasticity help me finalize the taper safely

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@bastringue

The discussion has been moved to your Intro topic here:

bastringue-is-my-tapering-strategy-good

Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions. 

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy