Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred/dimmed vision, twitching, dry eyes and pain

Maybe

2 hours ago, Edmunds said:

you can't procrastinate at the risk of losing your sight in the affected eye. That loss can happen within a very short time of noticing symptoms.

@Sleepan don't delay! Go tomorrow! 🙂

Thank you, Edmunds. I learned something new and very valuable.

2 hours ago, Edmunds said:

"I can't do this!" But I did it, and though it never felt like an enjoyable vacation, I got through it and saw sights I had always wanted to see.

This is an important point about WD - that you don't always have to succumb to it and activities or actions may not be the setback we fear they may or will be. What do you think?

On 2/29/2020 at 9:34 PM, Giulietta said:

Why do you have to commit to a procedure when you meet with the MD?  Even if you do, you have the right to change your mind.   😉  Might you also get a 2nd opinion?

On 3/1/2020 at 10:17 PM, Giulietta said:

@Sleepan don't delay! Go tomorrow! 🙂

Great update!  The eye doctor's secretary did not called back yet and it does not matter as the zig zag floater on my left eye is gone!!!!!  😲 

Few hours ago, I practiced meditation with a guided meditation video on YouTube.  It's in French.  "Méditation de guérison très puissante Cédric Michel".  In particular, Cédric says, about 1/2 of the video, to focus on a Light we imagine within our body and to direct it to where you want to heal it right now.  I did it and I was all in, and suddenly, I was interrupted, so I stopped my meditation and distracted, I only noticed the zig zag floater is gone. I noted that this symptom started February 3rd (I note my daily symptoms since I reinstated Dec 21). 

I'm thrilled.  What a great entrance for me in meditation.  I just started meditate few days or weeks ago quite awkwardly.  It is possible also that the supplements I take in rotation are helping me.  And also drinking some parsley juice last two days, maybe.  Right now:  5 mushroom powder ½ tsp – Lion’s Mane 1000mg – Fish Oil - Tulsi caps - Barley grass powder,  B12 1000mg since yesterday (doctor's nurse phoned me saying doctor saw a lack of B12 in first results of my blood test on Feb 28, done same date of my appointment with the doctor.  She was very enthusiast to get a blood sample from me, so I said yes.).  I have another appointment with the doctor next week to evaluate me and get full results they got from my blood test.

Since a few days, I think my big mistake (CT Amitriptyline) will blossom into a better me.   

I want @Altostrata to read this (my little miracle).  

1989, 25mg, Amitriptyline 1st prescribed for 1wk insomnia, 2020 october Cold turkey

20/12/21, 22.5mg reinstated; waited 1.5 year to start tapering

21/07/25, 20mg tapering started. 10% every 4 weeks

22/02/26, 9.5mg - Emergency surgery put chaos to tapering: chronic insomnia till May

22/04/11, 10mg tapering started. 10% every 4 week. Sleep came back but trickled away in Sep' 22

22/09/17, 5,1mg - 10/15, 4.6mg - 11/12, 4,1mg - 12/10, 3.7mg.  Too fast. Permanent symptoms.

22/12/28, 4,0mg - partial updose where I'll remain until perfect stabilizing

22/12/30, 4,0mg - started Melatonin 3mg, Maritime Pine Bark Extract am & pm

23/02/03, 4,0mg - sleeping well every night with dreams, symptoms are diminishing

22/03/20, 4,0mg - insomnia is back on some nights. Waves. Anxiety. My dog is sick.

Maritime Pine Bark Extract (Omega Alpha Labs) in capsules am & pm, Melatonin 3mg

On 3/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, Edmunds said:

But I did not get a lot worse, having made that trip. And gradually, gradually, I started to get better. I'm still in WD, though the anxiety has much receded.

Positivity helps a lot.  I always found trips a lot of fun.  Probably traveling can increase one's immunity, as it is a positive stress.  I have good news.  I noticed my floater zig zag in front of my left eye is suddenly gone, few hours after doing a meditation with specificity on healing.  It may come back.  Earlier, I noticed it was more fainted.  Whatever, I'm happy.  As @ten0275 wrote, symptoms do disappear after a while.  

I think I may conclude my floater was more a symptom, and not a retina detachment as feared by my doctor, yes?

1989, 25mg, Amitriptyline 1st prescribed for 1wk insomnia, 2020 october Cold turkey

22/02/26, 9.5mg - Emergency surgery put chaos to tapering: chronic insomnia till May

22/04/11, 10mg tapering started. 10% every 4 week. Sleep came back but trickled away in Sep' 22

22/09/17, 5,1mg - 10/15, 4.6mg - 11/12, 4,1mg - 12/10, 3.7mg.  Too fast. Permanent symptoms.

23/02/03, 4,0mg - sleeping well every night with dreams, symptoms are diminishing

22/03/20, 4,0mg - insomnia is back on some nights. Waves. Anxiety. My dog is sick.

Maritime Pine Bark Extract (Omega Alpha Labs) in capsules am & pm, Melatonin 3mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I’ve seen a thread on eye issues but seems to have largely gravitated towards floaters and away from what I’ve read to be a rather rare symptom on this site, and sometimes one of the most troubling symptoms (it certainly is for me!).

I want to make a space for the question -

Do you have visual snow with any associated symptoms? How do you cope, and has it gotten any better or gone completely?

Symptoms of this WD induced syndrome include:

- Visual snow/static, often described as a haze over solid objects or colours all the time, or in certain lighting.

- Tinnitus, in both ears or just one.

- After images (palinopsia). Negative or positive, maybe both. Some can trail or ‘run after’ the object in motion, while some can freeze into your field of view. Lights do this quite obtrusively.

- Flashes of light in the dark or with your eyes closed.

- Photophobia/light sensitivity.

- Nyctalopia/impaired night vision.

- Just a sense that your vision isn’t quite right.

- Double vision/ghosting of text (e.g. white text on a black background)

Other accompanying symptoms:

- Derealisation/Depersonalisation.

- Brain fog.

- Muscle twitches.

Any insight on this and your experience would be lovely, for I and for others. I’ve seen this dissipate completely for some, whilst remain for others - it’s quite a hard symptom to come to grips with.

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

44 minutes ago, Icip said:

Do you have visual snow with any associated symptoms? How do you cope, and has it gotten any better or gone completely?

Hi.  Take an appointment with an optometrist and ask for a major test (not painful at all) where the eye doctor can detect all eye illnesses, such as cataracts, glaucoma, retina detachment and other stuff.  

I have a zig zag floater that appeared on February 2nd on my left eye, and frequently get the lightning flashes on the side of my left eye.  I had an appointment with a doctor to renew my Amitriptyline (my own doctor is on sick leave for +months) and I told her about my symptoms, and she did not like my eye symptoms so she insisted I find an eye doctor (opthalmologist) as she suspected a retina detachment.  I called opthalmologists who wanted a reference from the doctor.  She sent it to two of them with no effect at all.  I saw her again on the 10th and she said that I had no choice but to go to an hospital emergency where she said there is great waiting (to expect 24-36hrs wait) but if my retina detachment is detected, they would do a surgery immediately on me.  I went back home and found out optometrists also do a major test to find out if one has cataracts, glaucoma, retina detachment and other stuff.  I found a private clinic optometrist who saw me the same afternoon and found out I had NO retina detachment, and the test was without pain.  What I had was minor and would disappear by itself within 3 months. As you in England, I live in Canada where the universal health system is always on edge to collapse. So always do your homework and not obey your doctor blindly.  I was pleased however with the blood and urine tests that she required on 28 February and results are I'm 100% healthy.  Only a B-12 low level.  I'm 72, so I'm very pleased.  I drink almost everyday an homemade vegetable juice, and I prepare myself good healthy meals at home, with a lot of vegetables, because what you want is to bring your immunity at the highest level possible.

Please update on what you find for your eyes.

since I switched from Escitalopram to Fluoxetin + Olanzapine, I'm experiencing double vision, or ghosting. It's stronger in my left eye. I'm seeing things sharp, but I see them a second time under the original. Then I remember one evening where I didn't have double vision at all. It's stronger when I see lights in the dark, like for example the back and front lights of cars while driving at evening / night.

Sometimes I notice it during the day and sometimes not because it's not strong enough to notice.

Weird. I'm not sure if it's an adverse effect from the drug or a withdrawal symptom, since I'm also experiencing strong emotional symptoms.

Panic attacks starting june 2015
Got dependent on tavor (lorazepam).
Started tapering with Diazepam in october 2016 Ending April 2017. benzo free since then!
Developed major depression sept 2017, was prescribed 20mg of escitalopramTried to quit ssri in april 2018 (2 weeks taper, way too fast). July 1st 2018 tried to reinstate with 10mg and feeling much worse. Reduced dosage to 5mg On july 13th 2018. I felt a bit better but not well at all. September 2018 I reduced to 4mgs, then started tapering as soon as i got a bit better.

- 2mgs of escitalopram in the beginning of July 2019, holding for 9 weeks, experienced horrible symptoms. Turned myself into a psychiatric hospital on september 20th. last dose of escitalopram 2mg on september 23rd.

- september 24th: switched to 10mgs Fluoxetine

- oktober 18th: added Olanzapine 5mg

- November 12th: surgery with major anesthesia

Supplements: 3g EPA+DHA, 600mg Curcumin, sometimes 60ug Vit. D

Currently 10MG FLUOXETINE AND 5MG OLANZAPINE and trying to stabilize.

Gaebbi

I wouldn't question a connection between double vision and WD, but I started having double vision, a type called esophoria, long before I had WD issues. I'm in my senior years, when some people experience a weakening of eye muscles that normally keep your eyes working together. My eye doctor and I have been able to correct this problem with new glasses equipped with prisms, that is, thicker lenses on the outsides that pull your vision together, or apart, depending on the condition. The downsides are that one has to wear glasses much of the time and that the condition tends to deteriorate, requiring changing the lenses periodically. For a few years the esophoria did not effect closeup reading or screen viewing. But recently it has started to have that effect. My bifocals partly help, but now I need to get glasses with prisms strictly for closeup vision. I would get them this week were it not for COVID-19! You may not have this sort of permanent double-vision problem at all, but the optometrist can easily check it out. It's not a rare malady.

Fluoxetine 1997-2014, 2015, 10-40 mg. GAD and DR symptoms returned  April 2013.

Bupropion 2013-14, 4 mos; Lexapro 2014; Cymbalta 2014. Gabapentin 2014; Mirtazapene 2014. Buspirone 2015.

Venlafaxine Dec. 2015 – May 2019, 150 mg, tapered to 0 in 3 weeks, May-June 2019

Bupropion Mar 2017 – July 2019 300 mg, tapered to 0 in 3 weeks, July 2019

Fluoxetine/Prozac May 2019 – present, tapered from 20 mg started Jan 2020, linear 10% every 4 wks.; tapered 6 to 4 mg June, 2, 2020; 4 to 1.8 mg Aug. 26, 2020; updose from 1.8 mg to 2.0 Nov. 16, 2020. Holding at 2.0 mg as of Mar 14,2021. April 14, 2021 updosed to 2.5 mg.

D3 2,000 mg; Omega 3 360 EPA/240 DHA; Magnesium Chelate 250 mg; Inositol powder started Nov 12, 2020; Theanine 400 mg; cranial electrotherapy stimulation device, self-treatments started Mar 14, 2021.

Hey Edmunds,

so far the double vision doesn't hinder me in anything, so I'll just wait and see if it's withdrawal related and if it goes away by itself. I don't think it's age related, since I'm only 24 :)
Also it's interesting that there are times when it's stronger and times when it's weaker, which implies it might be due to withdrawal.

Let's see. If it's not getting better in the next 6 months, I will see an ophthalmologist.

Started tapering with Diazepam in october 2016 Ending April 2017. benzo free since then!
Developed major depression sept 2017, was prescribed 20mg of escitalopramTried to quit ssri in april 2018 (2 weeks taper, way too fast). July 1st 2018 tried to reinstate with 10mg and feeling much worse. Reduced dosage to 5mg On july 13th 2018. I felt a bit better but not well at all. September 2018 I reduced to 4mgs, then started tapering as soon as i got a bit better.

- 2mgs of escitalopram in the beginning of July 2019, holding for 9 weeks, experienced horrible symptoms. Turned myself into a psychiatric hospital on september 20th. last dose of escitalopram 2mg on september 23rd.

• 3 weeks later...

@Sleepan,

Hi! Thank you for replying to my thread, I'm sorry i haven't been able to reply sooner - I've been trying to spend some time feeling 'normal' again, as i guess right now is the opportune time to feel normal as staying indoors all day really is normal right now!

I'm so happy that what you have is normal and will go away - it can be so scary thinking of permanent problems caused by these drugs, so i hope it goes away fully for you! Is it bothersome?

I think what i have is neurological, the tinnitus, static, after-images, light sensitivity, subtle floaters, and derealisation all seem like Visual Snow Syndrome, or HPPD - so unfortunately for me, i'll either have this for a very long time before it dissipates, or it will never go away. I still pray everyday for it to go as it's my most distressing symptom(s).

You know i teared up whilst reading about your vegetable juice as my Grandad (not calling you a Grandad at all!) does the same with vegetables freshly picked from his garden (where supply allows). It does seem that the little things like that can be the greatest means to healing we have on this planet. I do need to fix my diet (I'm a comfort-eater, so i think you can imagine what a distressed and sad 19-year-old's diet must be like!:)).

Take care, i will post updates here as things progress/worsen, and please do the same as it will be lovely to hear about when your floater finally goes!

Icip.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

Hi Icip,

I think if you can afford it you should see a neurologist/ophthalmologist and not assume that this is necessarily from WD. It might be but it could be from other things as well - not necessarily even the syndrome you presume you have. WD does result in numerous neurological issues but better safe than sorry.

Hope you feel better soon

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Visual snow is typically a symptom of DP/DR and more rarely HPPD. I have had it chronically in the past but not caused by drug withdrawal/changes. It comes back when I'm severely anxious whatever the cause is.

Dx: complex PTSD

Discontinuation/taper history: sertraline, trazodone, prazosin, mirtazapine, diazepam

Took 200mg quetiapine for 0.5 years and 150mg for 1.5 years until 01/2020. Now microtapering daily at an overall rate of 12.5mg/month.

• Administrator

Merged similar topics.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi all who have commented post-my topic/merger,

I have the full hppd/visual snow syndrome diagnosis criteria. I’m 19 so old-age would not be an issue + had 20/20 vision before.

As for @Gaebbi, the double vision can be caused by both the drugs + coming off of them also. Thanks for replying:)

This all started a couple of weeks after withdrawal hit me - the tinnitus has been most noticeable + was not present before.

Again, I have all symptoms constantly. This only started when in withdrawal - it’s neurological

Drug free.

I thought I might tell you this.

about 5 minutes ago my double vision changed. It went completely away from my left eye (I had it in my left eye for 5 months now) and now I have it on my right eye! Totally crazy! But I think that tells me that the cause is withdrawal, and that there‘s nothing wrong with my eyes.

I‘m pretty sure it will change back to my left eye, but let‘s see.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:03 AM, Icip said:

double vision can be caused by both the drugs + coming off of them also.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:03 AM, Icip said:

This all started a couple of weeks after withdrawal hit me - the tinnitus has been most noticeable + was not present before.

Confirmed. Same here. I have mild diplopia (side effect likely of lamotrigine, which I am also on) but WD exacerbated it so I could essentially not read. This was accompanied by dizziness, head turns and vestibular issues. It was a prevalent issue for me that started 9 months after a CT and occurred about 10-15 times a month. It is a much milder problem. I never bothered to consult with an MD. There was sufficient anecdotal evidence for me to cope with it.

Tinnitis I did consult for - and it was brutal for the first 7 months of WD. The most acute stopped in July (when the diplopia started!) but it has waxed and waned since then. It has gradually gone mostly away. I did have 2 hearing tests as a result of it (and two ENT visits). Interestingly, the first question by the ENT of the first visit was 'are you getting off of ADs'?

Both hearing tests showed a deficit in hearing (and my hearing was excellent before WD). Hearing test resuts were different from each other - one ear better than the other for each test and both declined. I hope the ototoxity has been temporary.

In a few months I'll be retested.

@Giulietta,

Have you found your hearing improving? Mine used to be so sharp + could hear anything and everything from around my house. It feels a little more everyday now, I always wondered how people could sleep with others still awake and making noise - I now know how.

Me too! I haven’t been to my gp for it specifically as it’s pretty obvious what has caused it, along with my eye problems. My issues are more like astigmatism. Had your vision improved in any way?

I hope your test goes well:)

Thanks,

Icip.

Drug free.

Hello Icip,

The tinnitus and hearing and vision issues have abated significantly. It has taken many, many months for the tinnitus. Details below.  This may be more information tht you want (or need!).

15 hours ago, Icip said:

Have you found your hearing improving? Mine used to be so sharp + could hear anything and everything from around my house. It feels a little more everyday now, I always wondered how people could sleep with others still awake and making noise - I now know how.

It is hard to say about improvement in my hearing without the objective measurement of a test - which is scheduled to take place in about 3 months - 6 months since the last test. At a subjective level, my hearing seems sharp. When I am not focused on the conversation and the speaker is not articulating clearly - I need to ask for restatement but I don't thank that is irregular. I hear small noises around th e house, which I generally identify and pinpoint the source of the noise. ;)

Sleeping with the tinnitus was unsettling and a problem and was a constnt distraction when it was at its worse. It would come on as if a light switch had come on and last for hours. It would be with me when I went tno bed and the first thing I heard when I awoke. 

15 hours ago, Icip said:

along with my eye problems. My issues are more like astigmatism. Had your vision improved in any way?

My WD induced vision issues - which have been intermittent and would last for hours at a time - have abated. B) My eye health has remained normal and eye glasses prescription not changed. 

I have astigmatism (which cannot be readily corrected with eyeglasses because of the type it is ). That being said the visual WD symptom I would describe in my instance as a combination of diplopia and extreme blurriness. This was much less problematic looking in the distance. Diplopia is associated with lamotrigine, which I take in a high dosage. So, for me, my symptom was not astigmatism but diplopia.

The bottom line is - both hearing and vision go back to normal. It takes time. And patience.

G.

Hi guys,

In October 2017 I took a single pill of effexor 37,5 mg which is the lowest dose and I had an adverse reaction which caused me Visual Snow.

Since then my vision never got back to normal....

Is it possible that a single pill can cause such a permanent damage???

Anyone heee that recovered of a such symptom??

Any reply will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!!

Hello Jason K,

22 minutes ago, JasonK said:

In October 2017 I took a single pill of effexor 37,5 mg which is the lowest dose and I had an adverse reaction which caused me Visual Snow.

To answer your question - I did not have this kind of response when I started a new med. I have read of other people on the forum who have experienced this symptom - but I believe as part of WD.  I don't know how long it lasted.

Have you seen an opthalmologist or GP for this at any time in the past for this?

I have been to different neurologists and ophthalmologists through the years with no success 

hopeless 😩 

I would appreciate any response from the old members re permanent vision damage from a single dose of effexor xr 37.5mg.

i would like to add as additional information that the way I took the pill was wrong.

i opened the capsule  and took half or maybe 60% of the little bullets that has inside without the capsule ,and swallowed them by drinking water.

I guess this made the release of the drug into my system to go from extended to IMMEDIATE  release as I was in a complete sock 30-40 min later.

please let me know if based on your experience that can cause a permanent damage.

its been 2,5 years form that day.

@JasonK,

Hi Jason. I took Sertraline for five days and experienced an adverse reaction like you. Vision symptoms can last for a while, I can’t give you any examples but I’ve seen a few people who’ve had them for a while, but gradually abate. If it’s your only symptom, I suggest trying to accept it and if possible, ignore it.

It’s not damage, your hippocampus is hyper-stimulated - this can happen to anyone with or without stimulus, some are even born with it.

No one can tell you whether or not it will be permanent, but as it stems from an adverse reaction, hopefully with time your head will settle down a little. Please search for HPPD, it’s visual snow but caused by drugs; it clears up for the majority of people but can take some time.

Take care,

Icip.

Drug free.

I know mate!

dr Abraham says 50% of his HPPD patients fully recover within 5 years.

From the rest some partially recover and some never recover.

i pray day and night the last 2,5 years to be on the 50% that fully recover.

how is going with you?

How unlucky can we be???

Thank you for sharing!

i have already commented on this site.

you can find my comment on the bottom.

2 hours ago, JasonK said:

you can find my comment on the bottom.

I just read your comment as well as more of the other posts with greater attention.

Do you plan on pursuing retinal electrophysiology - cited in the link - or have you had it?  electroretinogram – ERG? I may explore this. My retina was normal when I initially complained about my sympmtoms so I didn't pursue after seeing 4 people. No one mentioned this test. I will now.

To be honest - my symptoms - although not snow - are unfortunately experienced by many other people. I hadn't realized these symptoms were part of what people described on the website.

I use a magnifying glass and bright light to help read text  on paper (and sometimes a ruler). Text to read functions in Natural Reader (which is free) can  be useful. 

;)

Jason let me bring you some good news dude, i’m recovering from visual snow as we speak, after suffering with it for 1.5 years after an adverse reaction on Lexapro it’s about 90% healed, it used to be so bad I could barely see at the beginning, I stayed away from alcohol, caffeine and *all* drugs including smoking or even just paracetamol, made sure to get enough sleep and took fish oil daily. i’m also a young guy so maybe that contributed to my recovery too. best of luck and I hope you heal soon! 

No prior history

2018 -

July - 3 x 5 mg tablets of Diazepam halved into 2.5mg at a time as needed

August - 5 x 5 mg tablets of Diazepam halved into 2.5mg at a time as needed

September - 17 x 10mg doses of Escitalopram before ct

October - 10 x Roxithromycin antibiotic for a 3 week flu

November - fish oil, magnesium, flax-seed oil, Coq10 supplements

@Winterflower,

Thank you for sharing! It’s lovely to hear of it going for someone, and gives me some hope. Do you feel a change in your psych at all? Happier?

Icip.

Drug free.

I just completed a questionnaire on RxISK regarding my blurry vision side effect during my taper from Prozac and continuing WD from Effexor and Wellbutrim, which I have not taken at all now for 10 and 8 month respectively. The RxISK response to my questionnaire submission was a score of 11, meaning Strong possibility of a link between medication and side effect.

Members report a visual snow side effect. Is that decidedly different from blurry vision?

Fluoxetine 1997-2014, 2015, 10-40 mg. GAD and DR symptoms returned  April 2013.

Bupropion 2013-14, 4 mos; Lexapro 2014; Cymbalta 2014. Gabapentin 2014; Mirtazapene 2014. Buspirone 2015.

Venlafaxine Dec. 2015 – May 2019, 150 mg, tapered to 0 in 3 weeks, May-June 2019

Bupropion Mar 2017 – July 2019 300 mg, tapered to 0 in 3 weeks, July 2019

Fluoxetine/Prozac May 2019 – present, tapered from 20 mg started Jan 2020, linear 10% every 4 wks.; tapered 6 to 4 mg June, 2, 2020; 4 to 1.8 mg Aug. 26, 2020; updose from 1.8 mg to 2.0 Nov. 16, 2020. Holding at 2.0 mg as of Mar 14,2021. April 14, 2021 updosed to 2.5 mg.

D3 2,000 mg; Omega 3 360 EPA/240 DHA; Magnesium Chelate 250 mg; Inositol powder started Nov 12, 2020; Theanine 400 mg; cranial electrotherapy stimulation device, self-treatments started Mar 14, 2021.

On 3/18/2020 at 6:41 AM, Gaebbi said:

Hey Edmunds,

so far the double vision doesn't hinder me in anything, so I'll just wait and see if it's withdrawal related and if it goes away by itself. I don't think it's age related, since I'm only 24 :)
Also it's interesting that there are times when it's stronger and times when it's weaker, which implies it might be due to withdrawal.

Let's see. If it's not getting better in the next 6 months, I will see an ophthalmologist.

Hi Gaebbi,

I hope you're doing well in the midst of this crazy world. 

I wanted to comment on your experience with double vision. Your situation sounds similar to mine. I started having the same kind of double vision that you describe as "ghosting" (seeing a clear image with a second image right on top) before I cold turkeyed from Wellbutrin in 2017. It has persisted throughout withdrawal without deviation, but I'm sure that is due in part to the way that I discontinued by cold turkeying instead of tapering. I have seen two ophthalmologists and a neuro optometrist and I'm currently using prism glasses that don't do anything to correct the double vision problem, but they do help slightly with the balance issues I was having as a result of the double vision. Prior to adding prisms to my glasses, I had an MRI of my occipital lobe that came back with no issues. My neuro optometrist did mention that my meiobian glands (the glands in your eye that moisturize your eyes) are not secreting any moisture and I have severe dry eye and she feels that this could be contributing to the double vision, but is not likely the cause. I doubt mine is age related either as it started when I was 26. At this point mine is likely permanent since I haven't seen any deviation or improvement, but it's comforting to know that yours has improved and it doesn't hinder you. Do you experience dry eye, and has anything helped in managing it? I'm currently using fish oil and omega-3 eye drops for moisture in my eyes. I hope you continue to see improvement!

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

I experienced very dry eyes at the start of WD and it has very gradually got better and better. It was very bothersome initially but I don’t really notice it very much now. It did/does make me more sensitive to allergies in the air though such as pollen etc 

hope this helps 

LRH 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

Hi @Hellbutrin,

sadly all the progress I‘ve made was usually very very short lived. Or I just thought it was progress but it wasn‘t. I‘ve noticed that on very sunny and light days my double vision is barely noticeable, but first I thought that it got better, when it didn‘t. It was just the light. The darker it gets outside, the more I‘m noticing it. I think it may stay permanently, but honestly I don‘t really care about it.

also, I don‘t have dry eyes. Do you also have the ghosting on one eye or on both?

10 hours ago, Longroadhome said:

I experienced very dry eyes at the start of WD and it has very gradually got better and better. It was very bothersome initially but I don’t really notice it very much now. It did/does make me more sensitive to allergies in the air though such as pollen etc 

hope this helps 

LRH 

Did you notice that fish oil was particularly helpful with managing dry eye symptoms? I recently started taking a higher quality Omega, but I still have extremely dry eyes, especially when I first wake up.

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy