Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred/dimmed vision, twitching, dry eyes and pain

Longroadhome
Just now, Longroadhome said:

The only supplement I take is Vitamin D

i eat a really healthy diet and exercise every day . 
Did you have dry eyes prior to WD? 
if WD  has brought it on it will definitely get better. 
this is what I notice with mine: when it first came on at the start of my taper it was really bad. I booked an appointment at the eye hospital and they found out I wasn’t producing enough tears . They originally thought my tear ducts We’re blocked or that it was as a result of long term HRT. Didn’t have any other tests they just recommended drops after trying to unblock the tear ducts.   
however I believe it was to do with WD. At first I had to use liquid tear drops but slowly over time I haven’t had to. It goes away for a few months then comes back so this is also why I feel it has to do with WD. Each time it returns it is less severe. 
have you found sometimes it is worse than others ? 

Ps mine used to be bad on waking up too and still can be quite dry on occasions when waking especially during allergy season 

October 2004 -  October 2018 Paxil 20mg

October 2018 - November 2018 15mg Paxil 

Nov 2018 -  2x50 mg Pregabalin to help with Paxil WD

December 2018 - January 2019 10mg Paxil  

January 2019 - February 2019  7.5mg Paxil crashed 

February 2019 - 8.5mg Paxil

August 2019 - stopped both meds for 2.5 days meltdown 

August 2019 -  daily: 50mg Pregabalin April 2020 45mg May 40mg June 35mg, beg July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg

Nov 2019 - 8mg Paxil, March 2020 7.2mg April 6.5mg May 5.9mg June 5.4mg July 4.8mg

these dates are approximate 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ahms

• thecowisback

• Junglechicken

• bluebalu86

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had eye twitching in my right eye for a while, maybe 6 months. That eye also had a lot of tearing at the same time. It all cleared up.   Withdrawal syndrome brings on a lot of weird, undiagnosabl

Tagging on to this eye discussion altho I doubt there is relation.   I have Post Vitreous Detachment (glob stuff at back of eye, not retina). Was nearsighted at young age, LASIX in '98. -10D to n

Are floaters a symptom of AD withdrawal? I've been experiencing them for 7 weeks now. I reinstated 5 mg cipralex but the floaters don't go away. Should I get my eyes checked or is it withdrawal?   T

Posted Images

JasonK

I pray every day my eyes to get back to normal.Having visual snow and being 24/7 in derealisation state after a single dose of  Effexor XR 37,5mg is so hard to accept.

Give me some strength guys!How an adverse reaction from a single pill can cause such a persisting disruption 3 years now???

Longroadhome
6 hours ago, JasonK said:

I pray every day my eyes to get back to normal.Having visual snow and being 24/7 in derealisation state after a single dose of  Effexor XR 37,5mg is so hard to accept.

Give me some strength guys!How an adverse reaction from a single pill can cause such a persisting disruption 3 years now???

Firstly  Jason  you shouldn’t worry about the fact you opened the capsule and took beads out . I believe people do this with this medication when tapering . I do it with my pregabalin so I really don’t think your visual snow was caused by this . It is a very common thing to do when tapering so I think you should stop worrying. 
secondly you don’t say if you have better days. If so then you are going through windows and waves and maybe your going through a wave at present ? 
has it got any better to how it was at the beginning ? 
do you keep a diary? 
do you have any other symptoms of WD because if you do then you are still going through WD so there’s a very good chance this symptom will dissipate going forward. Lots to think about there .  

many people on this site have a particular symptom for a very long time . And yes longer than you . An example Is  Pug Who has had tinnitus for over 5 years and it has very gradually got better and better until now it is almost gone .,

Have faith stay strong There’s every chance you will make a good recovery !! 

October 2004 -  October 2018 Paxil 20mg

October 2018 - November 2018 15mg Paxil 

Nov 2018 -  2x50 mg Pregabalin to help with Paxil WD

December 2018 - January 2019 10mg Paxil  

January 2019 - February 2019  7.5mg Paxil crashed 

February 2019 - 8.5mg Paxil

August 2019 - stopped both meds for 2.5 days meltdown 

August 2019 -  daily: 50mg Pregabalin April 2020 45mg May 40mg June 35mg, beg July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg

Nov 2019 - 8mg Paxil, March 2020 7.2mg April 6.5mg May 5.9mg June 5.4mg July 4.8mg

these dates are approximate 

Edmunds

Jason, you speak of 24/7 derealization. I'm a senior citizen, but I have had chronic derealization off and on, the first episode when I was 19 and at university. That lasted a few months. But that was only the first episode. Since then I have had several, in more recent decades lasting for several years. The current bout started in 2013. In 2018-19 I had improvement, which meant that the symptoms were still there but did not bother me as much. Then in May 2019 I tapered way too fast off Effexor after being on it for 3.5 years. There followed nearly six months of aggravated derealization, plus heavy anxiety, crying spells, cortisol spikes, blurry vision, and fatigue. Last November the anxiety and crying faded. The derealization and blurry vision have not changed much.

Since the 1980s psychiatrists have diagnosed me as having depression, derealization being a way  I experience it. But in the past year I have concluded that that diagnosis was probably always wrong and that anxiety disorder has always been the fundamental problem, almost certainly related to my childhood and early adulthood family experience. As you know, derealization is a dissociative disorder closely entangled with anxiety.

For me derealization means feeling in a sort of fog, separated from my surroundings by an invisible veil. Also a feeling of fatigue and strain, as if I would prefer throughout the day to shut my eyes and curl up somewhere. Napping, however, typically makes me feel worse. Fortunately, I have never had depersonalization symptoms. How do you experience derealization?

I have been working with a therapist for the past 4-5 years who applies Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. This has been helpful to me in learning how, some of the time, to pay less attention to the DR, or at least not to be rattled by it. I know much more about what it is. I have read  literature on healing from dissociative disorders, including derealization. Do you know this literature? It has also been helpful.

I'm starting work with a new therapist next week, mainly because I just want to have a "second opinion," especially from someone who has experience treating complex trauma. I have found, as you probably have, that the psychiatric profession has not traditionally had much training in dissociative disorders. My current psych has had some, and in his view I do not suffer from depression but from anxiety/derealization, which can be "tricky" to deal with! As I see it now, the answer will come with good therapy, not with ADs.

I would not describe my blurry vision, as visual snow. It's probably related both to my brain stabilizing process, which is ongoing and perhaps to the Prozac (which I started taking as a replacement for Effexor), from which I'm still tapering. Can you describe visual snow? Is it like static on a TV screen?

Your description of symptoms resulting from one dose of Effexor is interesting. I was on it for 3.5 years. Have you taken other ADs? Is it possible that your DR, like mine, is an expression of anxiety related to circumstances other than taking the Effexor?

Fluoxetine 1997-2014, 2015, 10-40 mg (poop-out  April 2013)

Bupropion 2013-14, 4 mos. To 450 mg tapered to 0 in 3 wks no w/d trouble

Lexapro 2014 30 mg Cymbalta 2014

Neuro-Feedback 2015 May-Sept, no ADs 5 months, no significant benefit, rather increased anxiety during and after,

Buspirone 2015 40 mg

Venlafaxine Dec. 14, 2015 – May 23, 2019 150 mg

Bupropion/Wellbutrin Mar 2017 – July 19, 2019 300 mg; Lorazepam 0.5 a few days only, stopped 08/31/2019

Fluoxetine/Prozac May 2019 – present, taper from 20 mg started 01-2020, linear 10% every 4 wks., tapered 6 to 4 mg 6-29-20, 4 to 2 mg 7-15-20,  2.0 to 1.8 mg 08-26-20), updose from 1.8 mg to 2.0 (11-16-20)

B12 1000 mg STOPPED 10-29-20; D3 2,000 mg; Omega 3 448 mg EPA, 308 mg DHA; Magnesium Chelate, 250 mg; L-methylfolate (Deplin) 15 mg STOPPED 09/3/20; Inositol (pseudo B8) powder 2 tsp, started 11-12-20.

• 1 month later...
ChessieCat

Found this reply in a member's topic about recovery from visual snow after stopping Effexor / venlafaxine quickly.

6 hours ago, VincentV said:

I don't know if this helps by my stepdad was on venlafaxine for many years and quit quite quickly. He developed visual snow which lasted for a couple of years before going away completely. This was about 5 years ago.

NEW!!!              INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder               NEW!!! 

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015  Current from 14 Nov 2020:  Pristiq 0.50 mg

My tapering program                                      My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

REMINDER TO SELF:  I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

• 4 weeks later...
Lostinwonderland

I had visual snow from ADHD meds that I had been on since I was 4 years old (I know a 4 year old on those meds) I stopped taking it when I was 12 or 13 and it went away around 15 or 16, I never knew it was a problem being so young and having it for so many years I thought I was normal but it did go away, well at 25 it came back after taking propanol and even though I've had it before I can tell a difference. Im glad it goes away though and I know it does for a fact I'm a living witness. Its from an overactive visual cortex so they believe. I also had a lot of floaters with it I use to call them my clear worms they also went away. They returned with celexa, I also had a week when I was 18 where the snow return from just a few doses of wellbutrin. I stopped the  meds and the visual snow went away within a week. I had long lasting effects from the ADHD meds besides that I now realize was the meds

January -February celexa 40mg for 11 days. Adverse reaction cold turkey

April-May Zoloft for 30 days cold turkey. 

No further meds since then

Symptoms 

No appetite

Dpdr

Vision impairment 

Cognitive impairment

Severe memory lost

• 2 months later...

I have sorta the same issue it seems like since my small trial with paxil my vison seems worse then when i used cannabis and my eyes seem dry however before i took paxil i did not seem to notice this and my vison did not seem as blurry. 

I went for an eye exam last month the doc lady said oh well dry eyes shouldent be from cannabis and oh those meds should be out of your system when i explained about the paxil I am not sure if some people are not very educated or what the case is but its almost like some people do not know that you can get side effects while coming off a med.

it seems like quackery I wonder if my eye will stop being so dry at some point. so far i was told to use eye drops 4 times a day at 15-20$ a bottle seems expensive

Paroxetine 20mg used 7 days discontinued   did a one day 10mg half dose taper then stopped ct.     

Multi vitamin one a day vitacraves gummies  also currently using            Magnesium 500mg  fish oil 1000mg.     

Was taking Vyvanse 20mg a stimulant med for adhd currently stopped hoping to continue if needed to function correctly .   

ChessieCat
1 hour ago, jamest said:

so far i was told to use eye drops 4 times a day at 15-20$ a bottle seems expensive

That would be a special eye drop.  I've had dry eyes at times (eg in air conditioning) and just use a regular saline solution which is probably much cheaper.  At the very least it gets some of the dirt out of your eyes which might not be happening when your eyes aren't producing as many normal "tears" to cleanse them.

NEW!!!              INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder               NEW!!! 

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015  Current from 14 Nov 2020:  Pristiq 0.50 mg

My tapering program                                      My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

56 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

That would be a special eye drop.  I've had dry eyes at times (eg in air conditioning) and just use a regular saline solution which is probably much cheaper.  At the very least it gets some of the dirt out of your eyes which might not be happening when your eyes aren't producing as many normal "tears" to cleanse them.

funny you should mention that my doctor said that but i cannot seem to find any like that the only thing i see is saline solution for cleaning contacts.   

do you know of a place or a brand which makes those.

I mean the kind i have been using for a month and a half was systane original is there something else the eye doc lady mentioned something about complete is what i want but that brand of systane is kind of expensive.

Ya i almost want to say that now i am off that paxil and i wear glasses that my eyes will get less dry who knows maybe the doc is right.

like right now with no glasses on reading this my vison is fairly ok i can see most of this at times i cannot see much its like blurry 

Paroxetine 20mg used 7 days discontinued   did a one day 10mg half dose taper then stopped ct.     

Multi vitamin one a day vitacraves gummies  also currently using            Magnesium 500mg  fish oil 1000mg.     

Was taking Vyvanse 20mg a stimulant med for adhd currently stopped hoping to continue if needed to function correctly .   

ChessieCat
10 minutes ago, jamest said:

the only thing i see is saline solution for cleaning contacts. 

Yes that's it.  It comes in a small bottle.

ChessieCat
15 minutes ago, jamest said:

do you know of a place or a brand which makes those.

Just go into a chemist and tell them you want a small bottle of saline solution.  Note that you will have to dispose of them after a certain amount of time once opened.

10 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Just go into a chemist and tell them you want a small bottle of saline solution.  Note that you will have to dispose of them after a certain amount of time once opened.

lol sure i am sure there are hundreds of them in the woods nothing i would try on my own but thanks for your help ya i could just buy that however what they carry is a 8oz bottle it isnt really made to drop into your eyes

thanks for the info chessie ill look for a cheaper brand next time