SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred/dimmed vision, twitching, dry eyes and pain

Maybe

Hi everyone, I just wanted to jump in and say that I got a rapidly declining eye-sight in one year of not being measured, that the opticien was actually surprised by it because she didn't think that a 19-year old should have a declining sight that bad (I'm almost 21 now btw) because of my anti-psychotic use, I wasn't tapering off at that point. My GP said it probably was damage by having dry eyes all the time as a side-effect of the meds. I think that the dry eyes thing may also be a side effect of withdrawing, so IDK if anyone recognises themselves in that? 

Anyway, both my short-sidedness and astigmatism worsed by 1 point in just one year. (and differently in both eyes, but I'm currently at a total of -5 at both eyes, although I'm not sure how it's measured in different countries) The measurement before that was about a -0,5 or -0,25 decline...

On a combination of antidepressants, antipsychotics and ADHD meds since I was 16, my 21st birthday is September 19 (2017) 
Meds that did not work for me and that I took in the past:
citalopram, venlafaxine, risperidon, abipiprazole, methylphenidate IR/concerta/telekinet

As of July I'm on 25 mg Quetiapine (IR) 
I currently take 125 mg Quetiapine as of March 29 2018 (Highest dose: 300 XR, 100 mg IR. A total of 400 mg)

I also take fluoxetine 40 mg and dexamfetamine 10 mg 3 times a day. I'm not tapering anything besides Quetiapine

I've never had psychosis to begin with, and I'm experiencing lots of side effects because of the AP, which made me decide to quit. I'm slowly feeling a bit more like myself again.

• 1 month later...

Bumping because I have dry eyes and need some kind of drop but don't know what is safe for people like us affected by withdrawal.  Years ago I was given something but never wound up using it as it caused neuro issues (listed side effect.) 

Does anyone know if there is any safe drop for dry eyes that won't cause neuro issues, and irritate withdrawal? Do the above suggestions list neuro issues as side effects? Anyone here ever tried "natural" eye drop (I mean herbal drops, not Natural Tears)?

I'll be going to an eye doc soon hopefully so script recommendations are okay too.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

24 months off today and developed very dry eyes about 4 months ago. I definitely think it's related to WD. Using drops at night to manage. I didn't realize some drops had neuro side effects. Which drops are you using?

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dry and painful eyes

The cleanest drops I've found are FreshKote. They are not cheap but work well for me.  Google FreshKote to find the best price. 

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

Mimi, I can't recall which ones I had that listed neuro effects.  It was on the box they came in though, so if the ones you use do too hopefully it will say there. 

Sheri thanks for the suggestion, I'm checking it out now. :)

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

1 hour ago, UnfoldingSky said:

Mimi, I can't recall which ones I had that listed neuro effects.  It was on the box they came in though, so if the ones you use do too hopefully it will say there. 

Sheri thanks for the suggestion, I'm checking it out now. :)

You're very welcome. It was once only available by prescription but it's not in the same class as the prescription only drops these days. I did a lot of reading on the dry eye forum to find out about FreshKote. 

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

• 3 months later...

Ever since I took Mirtazapine and then Quetiapine I started having issues with my eyes... particularily with reading... and everything started to become more and more unfocused and kinda blurry... it's been 3 or 4 months since the last dose but I felt like those problems progressed ever since taking the first dose, especially quetiapine.

Aug 27 - Sept 1, 2017 Mirtazapine 3,5mg first day, 7,5 second, 15 third then back to 7,5 then stopped taking after 5 days

Sept 2017 Sporadic intake of mirtazapine once in a while

Sept 26 - Octobre 3 2017 occasional mirtazapine at 3,5mg. 

Sept 26 - Octobre 3th Quetiapine 50mg for sleep, 4th day 150mg then back to 50mg  after severe reaction then stopped abruptly (No taper)

Octobre 6 - Octobre 13 2017 mirtazapine occasionally

Novembre-Decembre 2017 baclofen 5mg at night... I steadily increased dosage till 25mg baclofen per night... Took Cyproheptadine 4mg for two weeks then stopped.

Decembre 2017 Stopped Baclofen. No Taper. Got flurazepam 27,4mg as alternative and have been taking it every day since.

Decembre 18th 2017 - January 7th 2018  12,5mg clozapine, inconsistent intake. Sometimes took for days then stopped etc... Abruptly stopped clozpaine on 7th january because I've got a cold and got high inflammatory markers and my blood tests looked weird. No taper.

Decembre 18th 2017 - February 1th 2018 Flurazepam 27,4mg

February 2nd 2018 - February 15th Flurazepam 20,55mg

February 16th 2018 till now Flurazepam 17,1mg

40 minutes ago, Hallowas said:

Ever since I took Mirtazapine and then Quetiapine I started having issues with my eyes... particularily with reading... and everything started to become more and more unfocused and kinda blurry... it's been 3 or 4 months since the last dose but I felt like those problems progressed ever since taking the first dose, especially quetiapine.

Quetiapine has a reputation and warning on effects on your eyesight in the patient information leaflet. I take mirtazapine and have noticed no problems with my eyesight and I've just quit quetiapine and fortunately it's not affect my eyesight as yet but I was only on Q for 14 months at a low dose the majority of the time.

Staz

Dosulepin 75mg 1996 - 1997 tapered off no problem - Prozac sporadic use between 1995 and 2011 usually 9 months then off.

Mirtazapine 2015 tapered off after 4 months no problem -Prozac 20mg 2012-2015 tapered off no problems

Prozac 20mg April 2016-May 2016 stopped ct after 4 weeks due to adverse reaction I believe to be serotnin toxicity due to mirtazapine interaction

Escitlopram 10 mg May 2016 - cut to 5mg May 2016  stopped ct November 2016 no W/d's noted

Lyrica 300mg May 2016 - July 2017 - Taper from Jan to Jul 17 awful taper.

Lofepramine 150mg  November 2016 - January 2017 Swift w/d as it didn't work

Quetiapine 75mg November 2016 changed to 150 XL May2017 changed to 150mg IR July 2017 reduced to in 25mg steps from July to 50mg Oct 17. 37.5mg 12th Nov 17 - 35mg 20 Nov 17 - 30mg 22 Nov 17 - 25mg 24 Nov 17 dropped to 20mg Dec 17, 15mg Jan 18. Current taken at bedtime.

Quetiapine dropped Jan 17th 2018.

Dosulepin 75mg May 2017 - increased in 25mg steps to 175mg Oct 17 Reduced to 150mg Nov 17 current taken at bedtime

Diazepam 15mg May 2016 - c/t'd by shrink after 6 weeks. Reinstated at 12mg after 4 weeks June 16 - current 4mg 3 times a day morning, 2.30pm and bedtime.

Mirtazapine 15mg since March 2015 - current - pooped out within 4 weeks

I took it for just 7 days

Aug 27 - Sept 1, 2017 Mirtazapine 3,5mg first day, 7,5 second, 15 third then back to 7,5 then stopped taking after 5 days

Sept 26 - Octobre 3th Quetiapine 50mg for sleep, 4th day 150mg then back to 50mg  after severe reaction then stopped abruptly (No taper)

Novembre-Decembre 2017 baclofen 5mg at night... I steadily increased dosage till 25mg baclofen per night... Took Cyproheptadine 4mg for two weeks then stopped.

Decembre 2017 Stopped Baclofen. No Taper. Got flurazepam 27,4mg as alternative and have been taking it every day since.

Decembre 18th 2017 - January 7th 2018  12,5mg clozapine, inconsistent intake. Sometimes took for days then stopped etc... Abruptly stopped clozpaine on 7th january because I've got a cold and got high inflammatory markers and my blood tests looked weird. No taper.

I've had significant issues with dry eyes while being on wellbutrin and since my C/T 5 and a half months ago. It's worse when I first wake up and before I try to go to sleep. Has anyone seen this symptom lessen while healing from withdrawal?

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

Hi, hope all is well. I wanted to get your advice on something...I am 20 months off ssri and still having vision issues.

My vision is blurred, unfocused. It is akin to the vision you have when you are sleepy or you have just awaken from sleeping. Only, I am like this majority of the day.

I am wondering, at this point, if it is permanent or if I just need glasses at this point?

Took Prozac  (generic Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4.5 months. First and only psych med. Stopped cold turkey. Been in protracted withdrawal for 2 years since I stopped ssri.

• 1 month later...

It's been 5 months since I've noticed visual problems after my first dose of quetiapine and it got worse and worse week by week, month by month.

I can see everything around me but my focusing space kind of got narrowed down or limited more and more. I don't even remember how normal reading used to be

because my brain compensates for it all the time.

But when I look at pictures or faces I have to look from from multiple angles, multiple times in order to see the whole picture.

It started that while reading I had some distortions.. I can't even remember or describe what it was like... I just progressed that reading got more and more

difficult because I had to read words from a different angle or something or I had to look at words/sentences differently...

It got to a point where I thought... well it's impossible to read by now... like I just can't read straight sentences anymore and see them detailed and sharp...

Well this got worse and worse and I always think holy crap... it can't get worse... but then it got and I push myself and my brain kind of adapts...

Right now I feel like for the most part everything I read is just unfocused and I stare at some blank space between sentences and then I am able to kind of

read & brain does it's neuroplasticity thing so that it gets easier... 

I have no idea what's happening.... it's driving me insane...

I've been to dozens of ophthalmologist describing this problems... they can't find anything and are clueless.

Other symptoms include:

-everything looks like 2-3 times more dimmed, especially at night

-eyes don't focus automatically, like I'm staring into nothing without any focus

-Any light except sun feels very strange/unnatural/unreal, it almost makes me psychotic (never had this before)

-Wanting to close my eyes all the time

I had a lot of vision problems when I tried lomoutrigine. Otherwise, I would’ve keep it up. I was seeing double and couldn’t read small print. Is this stuff an epilepsy drug too?  All the drugs used for epilepsy do this to me. When some of this messes with your brain, it can effect your eye muscles. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

I've had issues with double vision and dry eyes since the beginning of withdrawal. But the last couple of days my eyes have been so blurry that it's becoming difficult for me to see. Is this common and will it eventually clear itself up, or should I go to the doctor to have them check it out?

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

I believe problems with eyes is par for the course because the optic nerves will have been affected. My vision is awful but I don’t have double vision just blurring. I also have the sensation that my eyes are moving around involuntarily but people say they don’t notice it when they look at my eyes. These drugs touch every part of the body it seems. At the moment the main physical symptoms are chills/ electric sensations across different parts of the body and the sensation of blood running across my scalp and the ever present agitation and inability to find calm. It’s the mental symptoms that are even worse though, especially the feeling that one is losing control of your own thoughts. To think I only went on these poisons  for mild stress and to end up a wreck. 

I took citalopram from 1 jan 2011 to the end of 2016nat a dose of 40mg. As citalopram was not working I was advised to take another ssri so I went on Effexor in jan 2017 and stopped citalopram. I was on Effexor, 47.5mg for about 3 months but found it too activating. I stopped effexor in March 2017 and went on 20mg prozac on 1 April 2017. I was on prozac until 6 May 2017 when I stopped because I started having intolerable reactions to it. So I went cold turkey and have been off all Ssris from 6 May 2017 so that is 8 months at this point.

I realise my CNS is totally sensitised and is the reason why I have multiple symptoms. I at least understand that and I am trying to accept the symptoms for what they are and trying not to dwell on them too much. But it is very hard and a brutal experience. 

21 hours ago, Bobo71 said:

I also have the sensation that my eyes are moving around involuntarily b

21 hours ago, Bobo71 said:

I have this too.

Anybody else got problems with insufficient focusing and other unclear visual perception disturbances with normal eye tests etc? I can barely read as I only see letter for letter.

It's been 5 months and got only worse...

It drives me insane.

I have noticed stars or moving dots (not floaters, have them too) when it is a bright grey sky or sidewalk, and sometimes in front of the computer. They say you can see your blood moving through veins in your eyes, but only with a blue sky, I only see it on grey sky. I have also noticed "visual snow" if I stare into space with my weak (20/400) eye for a few seconds, it starts with a small square, and then suddenly its static over everything. Also "strobe vision" like an old movie camera flickering really fast and it flickers black around vision eyes open or closed. My "panic" attacks are gone, but vision is getting worse

I’ve noticed that the outline of some objects for me flicker or distort. If I look at the blinds out the window, the outline of the blind with distort - almost like a computer glitch. This gets worse when I exercise.

I also get very bad visual disturbance with exercise. Like everything will just not look right, and my eyes feel like they can’t focus, or as if something is up really close to my eyes. Such an odd sensation.

I get visual snow, floaters, and I occasionally have this bright dot that will quickly zoom across my vision like a very small metorite. Anyone have these issues? 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, IrishMonkey92 said:

I’ve noticed that the outline of some objects for me flicker or distort. If I look at the blinds out the window, the outline of the blind with distort - almost like a computer glitch. This gets worse when I exercise.

I also get very bad visual disturbance with exercise. Like everything will just not look right, and my eyes feel like they can’t focus, or as if something is up really close to my eyes. Such an odd sensation.

I get visual snow, floaters, and I occasionally have this bright dot that will quickly zoom across my vision like a very small metorite. Anyone have these issues? 

When do you get the snow, and when do you get the bright dots moving?

7 hours ago, bob35 said:

When do you get the snow, and when do you get the bright dots moving?

I usually only see it in dim or dark lighted settings - really only at night time. 

Bright dot dot is just single split second thing - looks like a small meteorite going across my vision with a trail behind it. Happens maybe once every 2 months. 

I also get this weird visual disturbance - when I’m walking and then stop and look at the ground, the ground looks like it’s moving or morphing. If I look at the brick work on the side of a house, it’ll look like it’s morphing/shrinking. 

18 hours ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

I usually only see it in dim or dark lighted settings - really only at night time. 

Bright dot dot is just single split second thing - looks like a small meteorite going across my vision with a trail behind it. Happens maybe once every 2 months. 

I also get this weird visual disturbance - when I’m walking and then stop and look at the ground, the ground looks like it’s moving or morphing. If I look at the brick work on the side of a house, it’ll look like it’s morphing/shrinking. 

I definitly see the grainyness in dark but it dosnt move like VS so i think its normal, the dots in the sky seemed to be more noticable when moving and stopping fast though. Do patterns like blue jeans seem to move or shake?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have (or know of anyone who has recovered that had) jumpy vision? I’ve had it for a terribly long time without any breaks and I’m getting scared. I would really love to hear from someone that this does, in fact, get better and go away. It’s the only symptom I haven’t gotten a window from.

It’s not quite a nystagmus since it’s not visible to others. It’s not quite oscillopsia since it’s worse when sitting still and not when in motion. Oscillopsia is the closest thing I’ve heard to describe what my eyes do, though. Also, this post from a user on Benzo Buddies describes it well. “”So my vision doesn't seem to bounce when I jog or walk or drive, it just has a mild tremor like the world is shaking constantly, and I notice it more when I sit still. And on top of that, when I try and focus my eyes on something in the distance, it's like it bobbles around the object not able to sit still. “”

When I try to focus or stare at a stationary object/person my eyes ‘jump’ or ‘twitch’ to the right about every second and I have to refocus them back to the left. It is worse for things in the distance and not as bad when things are up close. It’s like my vision is moving a fixed amount each time so an upclose jump isn’t as bothersome as a jump from trying to see something across a large room, nevermind long distances outside which just makes me feel sick and hopelessly frustrated when I try. I hope this makes sense. It’s very hard to describe. 

I feel like I can’t really ‘take in’ things like nature/people because of this. I feel like it is also contributing to the disconnected feelings and poor memory. Also, dizziness, pressure and nausea. I’ve had loads of other vision stuff that have came and gone and came back again. I just really need some reassurance about this ‘jumpy/unable to focus on a single spot’ vision.

Can any one else relate? This isn’t a symptom I’ve heard many people complain of which is frightening.

2011-2014: 25-50mg Zoloft then CT via doctors advice. Some mild physical sx but fully functioning, unaware that withdrawal was a thing. Dr didn’t know why I was chronically dizzy with brain fog & advised to try Zoloft again.

2016: severe adverse reactions to Zoloft (1 dose), Paxil (3 weeks), celexa (2 weeks), buspar (1 dose), lamictal (4 doses). Ativan 12 times within a month. Also tried Xanax & klonopin a couple times. Each reaction became more severe. Kindled. Became disabled from these meds.

Drug free 12-16-2016
Month 1-20: +5% healing every month
Month 21- present: setback to acute from amoxicillin antibiotic (1 dose)
Month 32- 11 months into setback from antibiotic. Seems I was floxed by amoxicillin somehow. Horrific.

3 hours ago, Waiting12 said:

Does anyone have (or know of anyone who has recovered that had) jumpy vision? I’ve had it for a terribly long time without any breaks and I’m getting scared. I would really love to hear from someone that this does, in fact, get better and go away. It’s the only symptom I haven’t gotten a window from.

It’s not quite a nystagmus since it’s not visible to others. It’s not quite oscillopsia since it’s worse when sitting still and not when in motion. Oscillopsia is the closest thing I’ve heard to describe what my eyes do, though. Also, this post from a user on Benzo Buddies describes it well. “”So my vision doesn't seem to bounce when I jog or walk or drive, it just has a mild tremor like the world is shaking constantly, and I notice it more when I sit still. And on top of that, when I try and focus my eyes on something in the distance, it's like it bobbles around the object not able to sit still. “”

When I try to focus or stare at a stationary object/person my eyes ‘jump’ or ‘twitch’ to the right about every second and I have to refocus them back to the left. It is worse for things in the distance and not as bad when things are up close. It’s like my vision is moving a fixed amount each time so an upclose jump isn’t as bothersome as a jump from trying to see something across a large room, nevermind long distances outside which just makes me feel sick and hopelessly frustrated when I try. I hope this makes sense. It’s very hard to describe. 

I feel like I can’t really ‘take in’ things like nature/people because of this. I feel like it is also contributing to the disconnected feelings and poor memory. Also, dizziness, pressure and nausea. I’ve had loads of other vision stuff that have came and gone and came back again. I just really need some reassurance about this ‘jumpy/unable to focus on a single spot’ vision.

Can any one else relate? This isn’t a symptom I’ve heard many people complain of which is frightening.

I have exactly this. 

Sometimes it just feels as if the room/walls etc are floating/moving. Very disorienting. Other times when I sitting in my living room staring out the window, my eyes pulsate so they do a slight dart for every heart rhythm. 

I have lots more vision stuff. Has anyone got hallucinations? Almost like you’re on LSD? When I go for a walk, or go in any form of motion, then stop and I look at the ground or some form of object - it seems to morphy or undulate. The grass looks like it’s moving like a wave of water. A brick house is changing size and stretching. The field in the distance is stretching further away from me. Anyone? 

I have visual snow/static and bad floaters too. 

• 3 weeks later...

After withdrawing cold turkey from 10 mg I noticed about 4 months into withdrawal I have a significant amount of 'eye floater's in my vision (probably 10-15) if I really pay attention. This does vary and is more noticeable outside but has anyone seen improvement in this symptom?

Was put on Abilify from about March 2012 to September 2012, 10mg, self tapered no withdrawals

Last drugs I was put on - 10 mg fluoxetine (prozac) and 5mg trifluoperazine from December 17th 2017 - Jan 10th 2018. withdrawals about 1 week after quitting cold turkey

reinstated about Feb 2nd, prozac, 2.5 mg for about 1 week, withdrawals worsened, quit again cold turkey

tried reinstating 3/4/2018, stopped 3/7/2018

Currently taking fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

I have bad floaters, which I don't think have really improved, but I don't notice them as much - I think the brain kind of learns to "tune them out" most of the time.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

ye today I started having some black spots on my vision and colour floaters 

and I was on my computer and my eyes focused really good on the screen I felt like when you zoom in a camera )

1. Zoloft(Generic)100 mg From 06/06/2016 to 02/10/2016                         
  2. Lexapro(Generic) 20 MG From 03/10/2016 to 05/2017                               Supplements: vitamin complex 
  3. Lexapro (Generic) CT 05/2017 
  4. 6/08/17- reinstated 10mg Lexapro(Generic)(50%of original doses )
  5. 02/11/2017- 9 mg Lexapro(Generic) (10 % rule) (Homemade)
  6. 04/12/2017- 8.75mg Lexapro(Generic)(BrassMonkey slide)
  7. 19/12/2017- 8.5mg Lexapro(Generic)
  8. 06/02/2018- 8.35mg Lexapro (Generic)
  9. 16/2/2018- 8.22mg Lexapro(Generic)
  10. 25/2/2018- 8.09mg Lexapro (Generic)-05/03/2018- 7.9mg Lexapro (Generic)-28/03/2018-7.75mg Lexapro (Generic)-04/04/2018-7.66mg Lexapro (Generic)18/05/2018-7.64mg Lexapro (brand Liquid)
  11. 28/6/2018 7.50mg lexapro (Brand Liquid ) 15/7/2018 7.40 mg Lexapro(brand liquid) 7.30 mg Lexapro(Liquid) 27-07-2018
  12. Forgot to update this but i continued to taper down until 21/12/2019 and final dose was 1.3 mg  Time since Stoping  3y and 4 mouths
  13.  xanax 16-01-2023 started 0.25 whent to 0.5 RX 1 week Back to 0.25 
  14. corrent dose 0.25 devided in 4 parts 

• 1 month later...

I had a complete visual change on roughly 7th March this year. It is so hard to explain, at first I thought it was the sleeping tablets I had been taken but it has remained the same for the last 3 months. I'm not talking about just being a little blurry, I'm talking a complete and utter change, The only way I can describe it is if I'm seeing the world in 3D. I am also constantly seeing vertical and horizontal white lines in y visual field when staring at a hard surface like the ground or the wall. Dark patches at times which come and go. Light trails. After images. That's just when I'm awake, when eyes are shut I see all this weird stuff also. Sometimes a colour will come which I am seeing while eyes are shut for a few seconds. Asif I'm awake and looking at a bright red surface, but my eyes are closed. If I stare at something and focus on that object, other objects in visual field will disappear/reappear.

NOTHING showed up abnormal when I had an eye test a week after it happened so it's in my brain. And if it has remained this way for 3 months, I'm assuming it's permanent.

It's like my eyes are straining to see and cannot really focus as well. I have extreme trouble reading now due to this plus concentration issues. it's gotten to the point where I'm just seeing every single individual word

2006-2007 ZOLOFT 25-300mg/day 2007-2015 ZOLOFT 300mg/day 2015-20th Oct 2017 200mg/day ZOLOFT STOPPED CT 3 week standard WD thought I was home free BUT 4th month went downhill rapidly.More than just depression, my brain was trying to cope with the sudden lack of ZOLOFT but couldn't. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE

2/3/2018 took 200mg ZOLOFT  @ 3pm FELT GREAT WITHIN 30 MINUTES.. (Zoloft was always instant for me from day 1) 24 hours later MIND SPLIT IN HALF/BODY CRASHED

March 3rd 2018 - Present. 24 Tamezepam, 40 Diazepam, 65 Oxazepam, 10 Alprazolam, 100? Lorazepam

4/3/2018 - 8/3/2018 EFFEXOR 75mg/day 9/3/2018 - 22/3/2018 ZOLOFT 50mg/day 23/3/2018 - 5/4/2018 ZOLOFT 100mg/day 6/4/2018 - 19/4/2018 ZOLOFT 200mg/day

19/6/2018 - 25/6/2018 OLANZAPINE 7.5mg/night 26/6/2018 - 8/7/2018 OLANZAPINE 15mg/night

29/6/2018 - 5/7/2018 ZOLOFT 200mg/day

6/7/2018 - 8/7/2018 Vortioxetine 5mg/day 

10/7/2018 - 29/7/2018 ZOLOFT 175mg/day

ATIVAN 29/6/2018 - 13/7/2018 - 2mg /day 14/7/2018 - 16/7/2018 spaced (x3 0.5mg doses/day)  17/7/2018  - 29/7/2018 spaced (x4 0.5mg doses/day)

On 20 June 2011 at 6:30 PM, Punarbhava said:

TBH, I haven't experienced the white circle effect, that you describe and that Alto speaks of however, I've had many other visual disturbances with eyes open, as well as closed.

What Alto shared is also true, however, like you I've never had these events prior to WD and the fact that they are lessening in intensity and frequency proves that they are WD related in my case. I did have white flashes that appeared like clusters of bright stars with tails attached (looked like shooting stars) but those occurred earlier in WD.

I also notice re: the eye movement to the left and right will create visual effects, not to mention, create brain sensations/disturbances. I believe this type of eye movement is stressful to the brain, hence creating these distortions/images/sensations etc.

Do you get the white circle events only when you are trying to drift off to sleep? I find that many "closed eye" visual effects are related to this time of day, although the left/right eye movement stuff and other stuff can occur at any time of day.

Many times, just before drifting off to sleep I will experience soft white light visual aura type effect. Other times I will have visions of unknown faces pop into my visual domaine (eyes closed).

They don't feel as if they are mental images but rather, they are real visual images despite being unable to actually see (due to my eyes being closed).

I also get panoramic, movie-like events visually displaying as I start to drift off to sleep. It's very strange.........like the optic nerves are actively engaged visually displaying a random scene, face or event, that the brain is independently and randomly constructing, despite closed eyelids and complete darkness.

It feels like a Pre-dream like state but not actually a dream since I can SEE the image rather than experience the mental image as I would in a dream state.

It's difficult to articulate and even more difficult when my brain won't cooperate ATM. (LOL)

In any event, I'm pretty certain, like all other symptoms, this will remit once you recover more fully.

Much More Healing to You, along with many "ageless" years. (lol)

Punar

Punar,

I experience the "movie-like" scenes too - guessing we are in R.E.M when this happens?

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

On 28 February 2018 at 5:34 PM, Hellbutrin said:

I've had issues with double vision and dry eyes since the beginning of withdrawal. But the last couple of days my eyes have been so blurry that it's becoming difficult for me to see. Is this common and will it eventually clear itself up, or should I go to the doctor to have them check it out?

Hi Hellbutrin,

I have been experiencing these issues too.

My vision deteriorated significantly whilst on ADs and I have been wearing glasses for over a year now.  I used to have perfect vision.

I am sure aging is a contributing factor as is hereditary.

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, deejay said:

The only way I can describe it is if I'm seeing the world in 3D

I thought that's how we're supposed to see things,if not we have no depth perception,right?

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

I had blurred vision for a day or two with my previous drop. It's quite distressing. I was able to blink it away a bit and it only lasted a short time.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• 1 month later...

Has anyone recovered from problems with vision especially visual snow? 

Citalopram 30mg 2008 - 2015
Citalopram 30mg + Mirtazapine 15mg 2015 - 2016
Venlafaxine 150mg + Mirtazapine 15mg then 30mg 2016 - 2017
Venlafaxine 150mg + Amitriptyline 50mg January 2017. Coming off Venlafaxine took about 8 months 
March 2018 stopped venlafaxine. Increased amitriptyline to 150mg over two weeks end of March. Couldn't tolerate side effects. CT for 5 days then went back to 50mg amitriptyline since 8 April 2018

I have this when I go outside. I have to wear dark glasses all the time. It is getting better very slowly. How long have you had it?

Put on duloxetine a few years ago for bi-polar disorder. Tapered off too quickly December 2016.

Put on Lyrica for central pain syndrome around 3 years ago. Tapered too quickly and finished taking it in March 2017.

17 hours ago, welshtyrant said:

I have this when I go outside. I have to wear dark glasses all the time. It is getting better very slowly. How long have you had it?

Hi welshtyrant I have had it for about 2-3 months. How long have you had yours? lWas yours induced by withdrawl/medication? What has helped your visual snow improve? 

Citalopram 30mg 2008 - 2015
Citalopram 30mg + Mirtazapine 15mg 2015 - 2016
Venlafaxine 150mg + Mirtazapine 15mg then 30mg 2016 - 2017
Venlafaxine 150mg + Amitriptyline 50mg January 2017. Coming off Venlafaxine took about 8 months 
March 2018 stopped venlafaxine. Increased amitriptyline to 150mg over two weeks end of March. Couldn't tolerate side effects. CT for 5 days then went back to 50mg amitriptyline since 8 April 2018

It started when I first came off duloxetine at the end of 2016. It's just slowly started getting better. I have to sleep with an eye mask on and always wear dark glasses outside. I just hope it goes completely with time.

Put on duloxetine a few years ago for bi-polar disorder. Tapered off too quickly December 2016.

Put on Lyrica for central pain syndrome around 3 years ago. Tapered too quickly and finished taking it in March 2017.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy