moses: Pristiq Withdrawal

moses

Hey Guys,

Is muscle twitching and weird jerks part of withdrawal too? If so, do they go away?

I notice them the most when I am falling asleep.

Thanks,

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moses

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• Tom

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tezza :rolleyes:

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

• Administrator

Taking a little magnesium can help, or Epsom salts baths.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

i took pristiq for a few days once - i was going to change over from effexor - MAN, that drug was way too stimulating for me. I was on 150mg effexor at the time and the day after i took the pristiq for the first time i was on major, major alert, wild panic and anxiety and didn't sleep. It was the worse feeling ever.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

on average when you switch doses, how long does it take for the brain to adjust to the new dose. It has been two weeks on 25 mg Pristiq and so far no change with the headaches and dizziness.

Thanks Everyone!

Happy Mother's Day!

Rosie

Rosie,

I am taking magnesium citrate and it has helped me get rid of twitches and also makes my muscles feel relaxed.

I also take fish oil,but it hasnt done much until now.

But magnesium works,it took care of both twitches and numbness.

I thought I had MS when I stopped Effexor. I even had an MRI and EMG. They were negative.

Approximately 18 years on Effexor. Tapered for more than two years. Totally off of Effexor since late Oct. 2010.

Psychfree, yes, I tried magnesium and it's good for that for sure!

Tom, did those symptoms eventually go away?

Thanks,

Rosie

Rosie, yes and no. It's complicated. I will try to go more into detail when I'm on the computer. Too hard to do this on the phone.

Approximately 18 years on Effexor. Tapered for more than two years. Totally off of Effexor since late Oct. 2010.

Rosie, the really intense symptoms that were freaking me out and made me scared of MS are mostly gone. Sometimes they have come back for a couple days and then gone again. I have other symptoms I'm still dealing with, but they change around and come and go. It's weird, this withdrawal crap. I wish it didn't take so long to fully recover.

Tom, what were those really intense symptoms? How long did it take you to get off Effexor?

How do you feel now?

Rosie

Hi Guys,

Since I have gotten myself to 25mg of Pristiq, all hell broke loose. Fatigue, bad headaches, worse dizziness and now bad insomnia.

It has been two weeks at this dose.

Do I just stay and stabilize at this dose or do I increase a little. Not sure what I should do? I have come a long way.....

Rosie

Hi Moses-Everyone is different and finding exact answers on what is best for you is tough to say.If your feeling sick and can't tollerate how you are feeling then I would encourage a slower taper meaning going back to your last dose until you feel stable,then decreasing slowly. I had to find out for myself the hard way,but I am improving after I started the "Prozac Bridge" approach. I wasn't prepared for lasting withdrawal symptoms that come with getting off this stuff. Advice I got was to go very slow,and even then people still after taking a long time to taper sometimes still go through withdrawals.It is very discouraging but very possible too.You have to believe you will conquer this stuff and don't take no for an answer if you want to be successful I think(I'm no expert). I'm just further along the process and have had my struggles well documented on this site to prove it's tough.I was adament to go through the withdrawals and deal with whatever came my way, but eneded up having to re-medicate and go in another direction with the Prozac bridge method.I didn't see it as a defeat,just a stepdown on my way to full recovery.Smokers go to a patch,then niccorett gum. I am just stepping down from a tough medication to get free from,and others have too. Years medicated,circumstances,and will to be free will determine your sucess. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I am in no way an expert on this subject,just a caring soul felling for you in this time of need. I would find a doctor that recognises withdrawal syndrome or a facility that can help ease your suffering,but be clear with them your intentions to be free of medication if that is still your desire. Have a great day and God bless.

Hey Billy!

Thanks so much for your encouraging words!

I hope your journey on Prozac will be a smoother one!

Blessings,

Rosie

It was severe numbness, Rosie.

I took me a couple of years to taper off. I was fine until I was near the very end of my taper, when everything went to hell.

Right now, I kinda feel like crap. In a bad wave I guess. But I was feeling better for a while.

Ya, I can relate to the numbness! I am sorry that you are not feeling well Tom.

Are you taking any nutritional supplements? Omega 3s help in many ways.

I am suffering with terrible headaches at this time in my taper. Hopefully they will go away soon!

God bless,

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Which brand of omega 3's do you take,

i am currently taking the carlsons brand but planning to change to omegabrite.

Psychfree, I am taking Omega 3s by Progressive.

Rosie

• Administrator

Rosie, I moved your posts from the Symptoms topic to your topic.

When you want to ask questions about your particular situation, please ask them in your topic.

I agree with Billy, you might updose to 30mg and see if that helps. But, as I said, I'm worried those 5mg drops might have been too much.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Alto,

I agree with you; perhaps I went too fast in my taper.

I am going to stick to the 25mg; my question to you is: Will I eventually stabilize at this doze?

Does the nervous system heal? I will have to get strong for the next taper.

God bless,

Rosie

• Administrator

The nervous system heals, Rosie. It may take a while to stabilize. If I were you, I'd try increasing to 30mg.

Hi Alto,

This morning, I decided to try 30mg. Hopefully, I will feel a little better. I intend on staying at this level for a while.............

Love,

Rosie

Hi Alto and Al,

I was wondering if it's normal to have a persistent daily headache while withdrawing. Ever since I dropped down to 25mg Pristiq, I have a headache EVERYDAY, ALL DAY.

it's very annoying!

Anybody have a similar experience?

Thanks,

Rosie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alto,

I haven't posted in a while because I have been such a nervous wreck.

I have been trying to wean off with compounded Pritiq and now realize that my weaning was much too fast as you had suggested in many posts.

This week I updosed from 25mg to 30mg and my body is shaking on the inside. My arms and legs feel tingly and my anxiety is through the roof.

What do you recommend I do Alto. Will these symptoms eventually go away? or do I forget about updosing. So confused.

Rosie

Hi Alto,

I haven't posted in a while because I have been such a nervous wreck.

I have been trying to wean off with compounded Pritiq and now realize that my weaning was much too fast as you had suggested in many posts.

This week I updosed from 25mg to 30mg and my body is shaking on the inside. My arms and legs feel tingly and my anxiety is through the roof.

What do you recommend I do Alto. Will these symptoms eventually go away? or do I forget about updosing. So confused.

Rosie

Dear Moses,

I note in your signature that you have compounded Pristiq. Pristiq is a time-release tablet and I have never heard of any way to compound a "time release" medication. Once the time-release coating is breached, the entire medication is immediately released.

I experienced severe adverse effects from crushing Pristiq. Some people may be able to tolerate this approach, but it was bad news for me.

I got off of Pristiq by bridging it with an SSRI, holding until stable, and then dropping the Pristiq. I had a few bumpy days after discontinuing the Pristiq and then stablized. I then held on the SSRI and then began a slow taper with minimal problems. I did try the "Prozac bridge", but it did not work well for me.

Your symptoms may in fact be "compounded" by your use of the compounded Pristiq. Please give this some consideration. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Administrator

Annej, you can help us a lot by researching exactly how the coating enables the extended release of Pristiq. Is it in layers? If it's simply a shell, once the shell is digested, wouldn't the entire dose would be released anyway? (When you find out about this, please post it in the Tips for Tapering Pristiq topic.)

In my humble opinion, rather than the compounding, too-fast tapering has caused Rosie's withdrawal symptoms.

moses, I don't know how long it will take you to stabilize, or if you might not need a higher dosage to stabilize. You might consider talking to your doctor about bridging with Prozac. There are no guarantees about how that will work, either.

Annej,

The pharmacy puts in a special slow release ingredient mixed in with the crushed Pristiq. This is my understanding.

I never responded well to Pristiq but I am stuck with it due to the withdrawal effects.

Alto, thanks for your response.

God bless,

Rosie

Annej, you can help us a lot by researching exactly how the coating enables the extended release of Pristiq. Is it in layers? If it's simply a shell, once the shell is digested, wouldn't the entire dose would be released anyway? (When you find out about this, please post it in the Tips for Tapering Pristiq topic.)

In my humble opinion, rather than the compounding, too-fast tapering has caused Rosie's withdrawal symptoms.

moses, I don't know how long it will take you to stabilize, or if you might not need a higher dosage to stabilize. You might consider talking to your doctor about bridging with Prozac. There are no guarantees about how that will work, either.

Hi Alto,

Pristiq's time release capacity is formed by a "matrix" and not by "resevoir". I won't bore anyone with the differences between the two.

It takes approximately 7.5 hours for the medication to be released and hit peak plasma level. In many people the shell is not digested and passes intact into the stool - so you can see that the "shell" is not the only component of how this drug is released.

As you have mentioned before, crushing Pristiq may work for certain people. For me, it did not bode well. Buyer beware.

My Intro
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Administrator

Please do bore us and post the details of the "matrix" vs "reservoir" in the Pristiq topic.

Talk geeky to me, Anniej!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Pristiq's time release capacity is formed by a "matrix" and not by "resevoir". I won't bore anyone with the differences between the two.

:) I wanna know too!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Talk geeky to me, Anniej!

:o My words! I've been asked to do some strange things in my life (usually by my pdoc), but this is over the top!

Oh, my bad. . . you said "geeky", not kinky! :lol: Annej

My Intro

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

moses, how are you doing now?

• 3 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

For anyone reading this topic, I have been tapering Pristiq using compounded capsules with slow release formula.

tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management