Hoosierfans: Back after a 5 year hiatus

Hoosierfans

Let me start by saying that I am so grateful for this site and the support I anticipate getting here. I've retyped my history as I provided it on a sister site (benzobuddies).

My full story starts in January 2011, when my insurance company switched me to a generic version of Effexor XR, which I have been on for years to control my blood pressure (Effexor helps keep it up, I have hypotension). I didn't know they switched me, and a couple of weeks later I started feeling really bad fatigue, dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, adrenaline surges and such.

It was awful. Neither my PCP nor my Pdoc knew WHAT was going on. We spent the next 8 months playing with my "Effexor" dose, and putting me on steriods for my bp, and Klonopin for the increasing anxiety I was having with my every changing health. I had just started a new job, and here I was in health hell.

August 2011, I came across a magazine article about the "Dangers of Generics" and a lightbulb went off....I was actually in the waiting room of my PCP and ran into her hugging the article. We immediately changed me back to the brand and most of my side effects went away.

Unfortunately, I was also on the Klonopin and the steriod by that point. We tried to taper the steriod and the Klonopin, but my body had become dependent by this point. So, we tried a little Prozac to "bridge" the meds, and that was AWFUL --- side effect central. We got off the Prozac (which took 4 months total) and then tried again with the Klonopin and steriod after I decided to leave work in March 2012 to give the withdrawal the "college try."

In April 2012, we upped my Effexor to try and replace the steriod, and my already bad anxiety shot through the roof. So, my Pdoc stuck me on Ativan. Had I known then, I would never have taken it. It was awful for me in terms of side effects -- nausea, dizziness, crushing fatigue, headaches, vertigo, pins and needles, jitteriness, and worse of all, it lowered my bp. I insisted on getting off of it; and thus began my Ativan journey.

I tapered pretty quickly and by July of last year I was in continuous withdrawal. I've been off the Ativan for 8 months, and I am pretty non-functional. I have terrible akathesia, jitters, lightheaded / weak feeling, restlessness, hot flashes, cog fog, headaches, am tired all the time and depression and anxiety has hit. I was hoping I would be further along the CNS healing timeline by now.

We made the mistake over 2011 and first half of 2012 of changing medications every month, and I think my CNS never caught up. So, now I'm trying just to give it time to settle and "heal" from all the changes. I truly hope this will be the end, because I would like my life back.

What I'm considering now is when (and if) I try and taper the Effexor XR. And that is why I am here. I don't know how long to wait through the benzo w/d symptoms before starting to taper the Effexor XR a bit.... note that my "maintenance dose" was 75 mg (I'm at 112.5 now). So I just don't know if I should try and start a slow taper even though I am so far down from the benzo w/d, or whether I should wait longer until I heal.

I'm not working and not yet being the wife and mother I normally am, so I feel I have lost a lot. BUT, now I am in a place where I wake up every morning and say "I will do the best today with whatever abilities God gives me." And, I go to bed at night and repeat "I am content in the knowledge that I did the best with the abilities God gave me today." This helps me get through the days, especially when the s/x are bad; helps me hold on until I feel the healing come. Sorry this is long, but I wanted to give everyone the full story. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Edited by JanCarol
line spacing for clarity

Update 2018 (been away awhile!)

Early 2014: Diagnosed with Lyme disease, confections Bartonella, Babesia so spent 2014 treating w/ local LLMD with antibiotics, antiparasitics and supplements.  Symptoms just worsened.  Also consulted with autonomic neurologist and underwent vestibular therapy.

2015 - 2016: Switched to “big gun” LLMD in Washington D.C. who treated with further ABX, antiparasitics, supplements, antifungals, T3 treatment.  No improvement, but worsening over 2 years

2017: Switched to local LLMD and functional medicine doc who diagnosed sub clinical mast cell activation disorder (9 month trial of cromalyn did not help); allergies to serotonin, norepinephrine, epinephrine, estrogen, progesterone and leutenizing hormone

2018: Continue to work with local LLMD, but do not think Lyme is the issue.  Believe that long term use of fludrocortisone, Effexor, and then gut ruining ABX for years for Lyme is cause of symptoms rendering me bedridden.  In February, underwent autologous stem cell therapy at Infusio Beverly HIlls to heal nervous system, strengthen immune system, strengthen vascular system so that over the next year I can taper off Effexor and Fludorcortisone.

Current Dx: POTS, chronic dizziness / vestibular migraine, hypotension, Lyme, Bartonella / babesia, SSRI withdrawal syndrome, hormone allergies, neurotransmitter allergies, iron deficiency anemia, Vit D deficiency, cognitive dysfunction

Treatment:  mostly vegan diet, daily meditation, SVF stem cell therapy (2/18).  Supplements: Histamine Scavenger, DAO, zeolite clay, psyllium seed, CBS / BHMT Assist, castor oil packs, epsom salt baths.

2011 - 2013:  Bad reaction to Effexor generic in Jan. 2011 resulted in multiple med changes 2011 - 2012 including prozac, klonopin (10/11 - 4/12 @ .125; jumped 4/12), Pdoc increased my Effexor to 112.5 b/c of K withdrawal, then put on 1.5 mg Ativan 4/24/12 (.05 3 x day) for anxiety caused by Effexor updose. Ativan put me in bed for two months, so I tapered 15% per week, jumped 7/23/12 (way too fast)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Hoosierfans,

Welcome! I'm glad you found us. You will get lots of friendly support here.

If I were you, I would wait until most, if not all symptoms subside before starting another taper. I'm very sorry you are struggling so badly. IMO, starting another taper would likely cause you more distress.

When you get a chance, please add your drug history like so:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Also, please look through the Symptoms and Self-care sub-forum for some good suggestions for dealing with the problems you are having.

• Administrator

Welcome, Hoosierfan.

Why do you want to taper the Effexor now?

I agree with tezza, changing the Effexor dose would cause further destabilization.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, Hoosierfan.

Why do you want to taper the Effexor now?

I agree with tezza, changing the Effexor dose would cause further destabilization.

Thanks tezza and alto. Alto, the reason I was thinking of reducing it (didn't mean taper all the way) is because I am not sure what all I am feeling right now is the wd from the ativan. My normal dose always was 75 mg...and I went up to 112 last spring when I started feeling awful (jittery and lightheaded) from the klonopin jump off (my docs should have just told me to wait out the wd). But then the 112 made me feel more jittery anxious and not sleeping so they added the ativan right away. So I suspect some of the jitters and dizziness I am experiencing now is too much effexor. Does that mak sense? Thoughts?

Early 2014: Diagnosed with Lyme disease, confections Bartonella, Babesia so spent 2014 treating w/ local LLMD with antibiotics, antiparasitics and supplements.  Symptoms just worsened.  Also consulted with autonomic neurologist and underwent vestibular therapy.

2015 - 2016: Switched to “big gun” LLMD in Washington D.C. who treated with further ABX, antiparasitics, supplements, antifungals, T3 treatment.  No improvement, but worsening over 2 years

2017: Switched to local LLMD and functional medicine doc who diagnosed sub clinical mast cell activation disorder (9 month trial of cromalyn did not help); allergies to serotonin, norepinephrine, epinephrine, estrogen, progesterone and leutenizing hormone

2018: Continue to work with local LLMD, but do not think Lyme is the issue.  Believe that long term use of fludrocortisone, Effexor, and then gut ruining ABX for years for Lyme is cause of symptoms rendering me bedridden.  In February, underwent autologous stem cell therapy at Infusio Beverly HIlls to heal nervous system, strengthen immune system, strengthen vascular system so that over the next year I can taper off Effexor and Fludorcortisone.

Current Dx: POTS, chronic dizziness / vestibular migraine, hypotension, Lyme, Bartonella / babesia, SSRI withdrawal syndrome, hormone allergies, neurotransmitter allergies, iron deficiency anemia, Vit D deficiency, cognitive dysfunction

Treatment:  mostly vegan diet, daily meditation, SVF stem cell therapy (2/18).  Supplements: Histamine Scavenger, DAO, zeolite clay, psyllium seed, CBS / BHMT Assist, castor oil packs, epsom salt baths.

2011 - 2013:  Bad reaction to Effexor generic in Jan. 2011 resulted in multiple med changes 2011 - 2012 including prozac, klonopin (10/11 - 4/12 @ .125; jumped 4/12), Pdoc increased my Effexor to 112.5 b/c of K withdrawal, then put on 1.5 mg Ativan 4/24/12 (.05 3 x day) for anxiety caused by Effexor updose. Ativan put me in bed for two months, so I tapered 15% per week, jumped 7/23/12 (way too fast)

Welcome! And so very sorry something so unnecessary has happened to you. I am definitely writing down your phrase!

Someone who has been on this list much longer (Alex) wrote a thread about things he would do differently if he was doing this over. One was to wait for 100 good days after ending one taper before starting another. Another person wrote that a characteristic of benzo withdrawal seems to be an insatiable desire to do something with meds to make things better....but of course rapid changes usually backfire. Wishing you the best!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

....But then the 112 made me feel more jittery anxious and not sleeping so they added the ativan right away. So I suspect some of the jitters and dizziness I am experiencing now is too much effexor. Does that mak sense? Thoughts?

Yes, too high a dose of Effexor could have these adverse effects. In that case, I would very carefully reduce Effexor XR, perhaps by one bead at a time. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd like to know more about your history with Klonopin. It's a very strong and addictive drug that causes even worse withdrawal symptoms than antidepressants in my opinion, and going off it cold turkey makes the withdrawal even worse. There are people on this forum who've been trying to taper from low doses of benzodiazepines for years because the withdrawal is so difficult. How much were you taking and how often? How long were you on it and how long were you off of it before starting the Ativan? Ditto the Ativan - when did you start that and at what dosage and frequency? When did you start tapering Ativan and how long did the taper take? As Tezza said, it would be a big help to have your drug history in your signature.

I'm sorry that you're feeling so bad and that the drugs have caused such disruption in your life. It's possible that reducing the Effexor by a bead at a time might help, but it's risky and could make you feel even worse. Proceed, if you must, with caution and please do read the article that Alto referenced.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 7 months later...

Hey all!  Haven't been here in awhile and I am still in the really bad throes of Ativan w/d (at least that is what I think it is).  I connected w/ Alto on facebook and she suggested that I update my thread w/ some questions I have....

So as of now I am 15 mos off the Ativan.  I am still a wreck.  Jittery, dizzy 24/7, lightheaded, weak, in bed most days, bad cog fog, and akathesia so bad (like I want to run out of my skin!!!) and a host of minor symptoms.  So I am still wondering what to do about the Effexor...

I am down to 84 mg.  I cut about 10 mg in April, another 10 in May, and I have randomly taken a mg here or there for the past few months.  I just feel still so totally sick and unstable. I definetly don't feel better than I did a year ago, or 6 mos ago. I can't function much, missing so much time w/ my kids, haven't worked in almost 2 years.  So I am wondering if what is holding me back on my healing from the Ativan w/d is the Effexor (i.e. my system is so sensitive now from the Ativan w/d that now it doesn't tolerate the Effexor like it used to).

So, thoughts??? I would LOVE to hear from folks who had to do multiple tapers, so I am going to start a new thread all its own.  Any thoughts on how long I should wait to do a regular, plotted taper of the Effexor would be great...18 mos off, 2 years, longer? Or could the effexor be causing all these symptoms and I won't get better until I taper off of it? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!!!  Thanks!!!  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Any thoughts on how long I should wait to do a regIular, plotted taper of the Effexor would be great...18 mos off, 2 years, longer? Or could the effexor be causing all these symptoms and I won't get better until I taper off of it? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!!!  Thanks!!!  :)

I'm sorry you are still having these problems after so long, its hard to know what might be causing the symptoms.  Its generally not recommended to start tapering off a medication until your nervous system is stable again, and that means symptoms have stopped or decreased considerably.

One thing I did notice, in your signature it says you are taking licorice,  how long have you been taking that?  Some people find that when in withdrawal, that can be too activating and make symptoms worse.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, perhaps others will have some ideas.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

My brain needs a little encouragement -- mini success stories if you will!  I tried to taper off Effexor in 2008 and was ultimately unsuccessful b/c my doc did the "every other day, every 2nd day, etc" type dosing toward the end.  After 6 months of intense w/d (and not knowing better), I reinstated.

Now I am going to try a slow (and I mean SLOOOWWWWW) taper, both in size of dose reduction, and the time it will take.  I probably am going to do 1 mg to 1.5 mg every two weeks.

My brain is telling me "no way you can get off, you failed before."  So I am looking for folks who tried to taper once, didn't make it, but then did a slow, deliberate taper and were successful.  I need to know that just b/c your body failed one way, that the other way can work!

Thanks all!

Thanks for the response Petu.  The licorice is for my bp, which runs really low (also why I am on the fludro).  Interestingly, I never had problems w/ low bp until I got sick w/ mono and then started Effexor...and then every time I try and reduce or stop the effexor I have low bp issues again (which causes me to start it back up).  But I think a lot of that is "normal" withdrawal, but my docs didn't believe it so they just continued to up my dose or put me back on, instead of tapering me gradually and seeing if my nervous system would "reset" itself.

I think the Effexor is making my benzo w/d worse, given that my symptoms are the "activating" kind -- jitters, dizziness, brain fog, inability to concentrate, racing thoughts, etc. So I am going to start a SUPER SLOW taper to see if some of my symptoms will resolve.  Currently planning on 1.5 mg every 2 weeks.

Today cut down to 82.5.  My plan is to try and cut about 1.5 mg every two weeks.  After more discussion with folks who have been around the benzo / AD world for a long time, I really think that my system is so overstimulated....and that has two culprits -- the excess glutamate from the Ativan w/d and excess norepi from the Effexor. Hopefully I will find what many others who hadn't improved in benzo w/d after a year or two off did -- once they tapered their A/D they started recovering.

Here's thinking good, healing thoughts!!

You need to check out Hudgeon's thread. I had unsuccessful tapers/stops, but I wasn't trying hard enough.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

The Psych Nurse I see once told me that she has had success in getting patients off Effexor by doing exactly what you said....very slow and very tiny cuts.

And I have a friend who did it.  Took a long time, she didn't do it as slowly as is recommended, but she did and had a lovely recovery from it.  She said it was very difficult and at times had the suicide ideation we get from WD bu she leaned on friends and family to walk her thru it.

Hope this helps....

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Nikki and Memi -- thank you so much!!!  I checked out Hudgeon's thread -- wow he is doing so well!!  I will check in with him directly. So Nikki this friend that you had who did it, how long did she take?

My plan right now is to cut 1.5 or 2 mg every two weeks.  A microtaper of sorts. 

I am 15 mos out from Ativan and have had a very nasty w/d.  Nothing has really gotten better -- almost 15 mos of acute.  So the suggestion has been made to me that maybe my CNS is so overlysensitized that the Effexor is overstimulating me  -- it very much feels this way. So since I probably should have seen some improvements in the w/d by now, and haven't, I'm going to take some small cuts on the Effexor and see if it helps my symptoms -- if it does then I'll go off on a slow taper as my body allows.

I've been on the Effexor since 2007, so I know I need to go slowly even though I want this poison out of my body.  It has rendered me nonfunctional for the past 3 years, and that isn't acceptable!

• Moderator Emeritus

I tried the doctors' every other day method, and also tried cold turkey. Then did some research and 

decided to go very slowly.  I've been tapering for around 18 -20  months and now down to just 3 beads.

Slow is very definitely the way to go. I stopped too soon at just 5 beads and thought I was ready,

I thought wrong and a month later was racked with severe withdrawal! I reinstated at 5 beads but that was too much

because I was sensitised so dropped to 4. I took 7 months to stabilise enough to drop another bead. 

Every 2 weeks seems slow but in fact the body isn't going to be stabilised enough before the next cut even if it is a tiny one.

Please take care, it's a long long road back to stability when the CNS gets rocked! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

hi there hoosierfans

it seems we are at similar stages in our withdrawal im currently at 87mg.. I started in February this year at 150mg...

I too had a first attempt like yourself which was unsuccessful, doing the same method you described every other day etc..

personally I have found that around 5% cuts have been working for me recently but this differs for everyone, I reduce every four to six weeks depending on how severe my withdrawal symptoms have been, then I let my body rest for a while before reducing again..

recently Ive been on hold at 87mg for 2 months only because Im going through thyroid problems which need to be sorted first before I want to reduce any more..

I will continue trying the 5% cuts again when my health is good, however if I feel 5% is too much I will definitely go even slower.. i definitely intend to go as slow as needed as i believe this will be the best result for limited withdrawal symptoms and finally being able to stop the medication once and for all..

i understand you need encouragement, i need it at times to, we want proof that we can get off these meds... however i feel you seem to be doing your reduction sensibly and are clued up in what your are doing... try not to lose hope...

keep me updated how your getting on

its good to related to someone else who is on the same journey and compare notes

all the best

Kx

2010-withdrew from Effexor 150mg to zero over a period of 9 months

After six weeks became very ill

Doctor was adamant a reinstatement of 150mg was needed

I didn't know much of withdrawal symptoms at this time

February 2013- taking beads out of capsule 150mg

have taken out 112 beads equivalent to 30mg= 120mg taken

June 2013- Doctor visit- recommended given me 75mg capsules

take one in morning and one at night( take beads out of night one)

So am currently taking 75mg in morning and take beads out of 75mg night capsule to make up the other 45mg= 120mg

currently am down to taking 112.5mg..

presently reduced down to 103mg

at 93mg

at 87mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hoosierfans, just be sure that you aren't cutting more than 10% per month, and be sure to monitor how you're feeling. Most people who taper off Effexor successfully go even slower than that. Keeping a daily journal is a good idea.

Effexor is a nasty little drug that sometimes comes back and just flattens people after they've either tapered off too fast or--God forbid--gone off cold turkey, so please proceed with a great deal of caution.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi HF, I tried to taper off Risperdal too fast and left it off in Sept. '11 at half the original dose. BIG MISTAKE! I left it off for two weeks and was REAL sick! I reinstated 10/1/11 and it took me a long time to stabilize.

I found this forum Jan. '12 and had already tapered down to .375, by then. I got liquid and have been tapering VERY slowly from there. I'm much, much better, not completely to a pre-med state but close and still tapering.

Since joining the forum, I've discontinued Neurontin 300mg, Lamictal 50mg (200 mg originally), I've reduced Xanax from 3 mg daily to .5mg daily, soma 700-1050 mg daily to 262.5mg daily, Remeron 30 mg to 1.8 mg and Risperdal from .375mg to .1 mg.

I consider myself to be successful, since joining and learning how to taper. I am very hopeful, now, after feeling hopeless for a LONG time.

• 7 months later...

It took me a year to taper off of Effexor a few years back.  Doctor had to put me on Prozac and buspar to help me taper off of Effexor.  I am wanting to taper off of Cymbalta 60 mg and am scared.  I did it once before but also used the Prozac to taper off.

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Administrator

People are reporting difficulty going off Cymbalta. It's hard to tell is it's as difficult as Effexor, which is notorious. Pristiq, a cousin of Effexor, seems very difficult to go off -- plus, it's hard to taper.

All of the SNRIs are difficult to taper due to their short half-lives. Cymbalta has a half life of about 11 hours, about the same as Effexor and Pristiq. It is probably why your Dr did a Prozac bridge with Effexor. Going from 60 to 30 is usually less painful than 30 to zero. Recommend getting your Dr to taper you to 30, then even 20 and switch to Prozac as before.

Cymbalta has a lot of action on norepinephrine in addition to serotonin whereas Prozac is an SSRI. As such, it may be a softer transition to Prozac once your Cymbalta dose is lowered. In any event, go slow. Don't make my mistake and do a 3 week deal.

2013 Jan-Mar (12 weeks) Cymbalta 60mg (way too activating)2013 Apr-May (8 weeks) Pristiq 50mg (partial response)2013 Jun-Aug (12 weeks) Lexapro (can't remember dose); caused muscle and joint painSep 13 to Jan 14 (20 weeks) Back to Prsitiq, muscle pain subsides but drug not working2014 Feb - Mar (8 weeks) Celexa 10mg (not even therapeutic dose), killed all depression and anxiety within 1 week but severe pain started within 5 days in back and lower extremities.2014 April (4 weeks) Effexor, worked like Celexa seamless transition, pain continuesThere was some Gabapentin, Buspar, Propranalol tossed there from time to time as well that did nothing.<p>Switched to Cymbalta 30mg on April 17. Dr directed stop on May 7th. I went down to 15mg within a week and felt OK, then to 10mg for 5 days and stopped.

Current Meds: 5-10mg Ambien, 1.5MG Xanax XR in 3 divided doses of .5MG each.  25mg Seroquel as a rescue drug for sleep.

Supplements:  Fish Oil, combination of Theratears Nutrition (designed for dry eye and is recommend by my ophthalmologist) and Arctic Pure.  Total EPA and DHA are 1540mg spilt between AM and PM.  NutNCology Magnesium Citrate, 170mg in the evening.  Twinlabs B-12 sublingual Dots, 500mcg (AM).

• Administrator

Those are all good points.

However, I would try counting beads to reduce Cymbalta rather than count on a switch to Prozac. Sometimes the switch doesn't work. If you can get off the one drug, it's best not to confuse things by bringing in a second.

Alto is cymbalta uniform in terms of beads? Or is it better to reduce by weight?

I'M A WEANER!  :D 
atavan PRN ,Paxil approx 20 yrs ago for major depression
Switched to Klonopin PRN through to current
Paxil wore out
Changed to Effexor 
Depakote added
enormous weight gain - flat affect - led to depression - dropped depakote
Dropped Effexor, changed to Paxil 
PDoc added mixed salts amphetamines for ADHD - took for 2 yrs - was ok at first but had to cut as symptoms too intense -  then the crash was too much. STOPPED
Vyvanse started in 2013 (APRIL) - more smooth than IR amphetamine tabs---Have not used vyvanse daily in full amt since May 2013 

Paxil CT withdrawal 10/2012  :wacko:  Klonopin CT WD

Switched Klonopin to Xanax prn  - too strong

WD CT from XANAX after taking for a while - it was awful but can be done if you hold on!

Back to Klonopin PRN - working very hard to avoid taking it at all. 

Effexor 37.5 started 02/2013, 75mg by 03/2013, 150mg by 05/2012 (approx)  :blush:

Effexor 150mg 3/10/2014 Microtaper -3beads  :unsure:

3/11/2014-4beads ,3/12/14 - 5, 3/13/14 -6, 3/15/14 - 7, 3/18 - 8, 3/22 - 10, 3/24 - 12, 4/6 - 13, 4/7 - 14, 4/11 - 16 - on 4/19 ran out of brand took generic. Bad move. Back on brand on 4/20 and updosed 2 beads. 5/1 - 15, 5/6 - 16, 5/9 -17, 55/10 -17, 5/15 -18, 5/21 -19, 5/24 -20, 6/3 - 21, 6/6 -23, 6/13 -24,6/19- 25, 6/21 -26, 6/25 -27

6/28 -28, 6/29 -30, 7/3 -34, 7/8 -35, 7/17 -36, 7/30 -41,7/31 -42, 8/2 -43, 8/3 -44, 8/5 -45, 8/14 -48, 8/26-50, 9/24 -53, 10/24 -55, 12/1 -57, (lost the tally sheet, thus taper info for some of it), 4/19-63, 4/26-64, 4/30-65 Switched to wt reduction - now @ -.068, 7/14 -.070, August 2015 -.074, between Sept & October 10 -.077, Nov. -.078(feeling great), -.090 as of 1/10/16, down to  -.101 since January 2016 (it is now 6/24/16), -.105 as of 8/13/16

Ladies, please don't underestimate the possibility of perimenopause. The symptoms can be similar to, may intensify & in some cases mimic protracted w/d from ssri's & benzo's. 

• Administrator

None of these drugs contains uniform beads, but counting beads is the best we can do, without a iiquid. If you want to be extra exact, you should weigh.

This is how I got rid of CYMBALTA within 5 months after taking 60 mg for 3 months.

16879646gd.jpg

My dog:
15663989yz.gif
My current condition: :)

My method of measuring beads: http://survivinganti...-counting-them/
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4856-sly-on-cymbalta-and-tapering/?p=61238

2013 - 28. December - Cymbalta 2 mg

2013 - 16. December - Cymbalta 5 mg - 12 days

2013 - 02. December - Cymbalta 8 mg - 14 days

2013 - 17. November - Cymbalta 12 mg - 15 days

2013 - 28. October - Cymbalta 16 mg - 20 days

2013 - 11. October - Cymbalta 22 mg - 17 days
2013 - 19. September - Cymbalta 30 mg - 22 days
2013 - 26. August - Cymbalta 40 mg - 24 days
2013 - 04. August - Cymbalta 50 mg - 22 days

S T A R T Tapering Cymbalta 60 mg - after 88 days

:wacko:Constant side effects: Libido, sometimes slight headache, muscle stiffness, sometimes slight tinnitus, weight gain.
2013 - June / July- Cymbalta 60 mg Ongoing stable situation.

2013 - 18. May - Cymbalta 60 mg Effect: Depression is gone! Anxiety is getting significantly better!

2013 - 08. May - Cymbalta 60 mg Incease the dose of 30 mg in the morning with an evening dose of another 30 mg.Again symptoms when inceasing the dosage but weaker this time.

2013 - 01. May - Cymbalta 30 mg Starting with 30 mg for 7 days with very bad side effects for about 4 days.

2013 - Mid April Diagnosis: Stress related nervous breakdown with following depression and anxiety.

I am: male, 52 years old, 85 kg heavy, 1,88 m tall, runner, non smoker, living in Germany

It took me a year to taper off of Effexor a few years back.  Doctor had to put me on Prozac and buspar to help me taper off of Effexor.  I am wanting to taper off of Cymbalta 60 mg and am scared.  I did it once before but also used the Prozac to taper off.

That is a lot of off and on meds.  Your information is missing when you went on Effexor the first time and how long you were on before tapering.  Tapering schedule is important I hope you are reading about tapering now - there is a lot to learn most importantly listening to your body ... this is my thought tho I did not taper wish I had

peace 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

None of these drugs contains uniform beads, but counting beads is the best we can do, without a iiquid. If you want to be extra exact, you should weigh.

Thank you Alto.

Can anyone recommend a reliable jewelry scale??

I'M A WEANER!  :D 
atavan PRN ,Paxil approx 20 yrs ago for major depression
Switched to Klonopin PRN through to current
Paxil wore out
Changed to Effexor 
Depakote added
enormous weight gain - flat affect - led to depression - dropped depakote
Dropped Effexor, changed to Paxil 
PDoc added mixed salts amphetamines for ADHD - took for 2 yrs - was ok at first but had to cut as symptoms too intense -  then the crash was too much. STOPPED
Vyvanse started in 2013 (APRIL) - more smooth than IR amphetamine tabs---Have not used vyvanse daily in full amt since May 2013 

Paxil CT withdrawal 10/2012  :wacko:  Klonopin CT WD

Switched Klonopin to Xanax prn  - too strong

WD CT from XANAX after taking for a while - it was awful but can be done if you hold on!

Back to Klonopin PRN - working very hard to avoid taking it at all. 

Effexor 37.5 started 02/2013, 75mg by 03/2013, 150mg by 05/2012 (approx)  :blush:

Effexor 150mg 3/10/2014 Microtaper -3beads  :unsure:

3/11/2014-4beads ,3/12/14 - 5, 3/13/14 -6, 3/15/14 - 7, 3/18 - 8, 3/22 - 10, 3/24 - 12, 4/6 - 13, 4/7 - 14, 4/11 - 16 - on 4/19 ran out of brand took generic. Bad move. Back on brand on 4/20 and updosed 2 beads. 5/1 - 15, 5/6 - 16, 5/9 -17, 55/10 -17, 5/15 -18, 5/21 -19, 5/24 -20, 6/3 - 21, 6/6 -23, 6/13 -24,6/19- 25, 6/21 -26, 6/25 -27

6/28 -28, 6/29 -30, 7/3 -34, 7/8 -35, 7/17 -36, 7/30 -41,7/31 -42, 8/2 -43, 8/3 -44, 8/5 -45, 8/14 -48, 8/26-50, 9/24 -53, 10/24 -55, 12/1 -57, (lost the tally sheet, thus taper info for some of it), 4/19-63, 4/26-64, 4/30-65 Switched to wt reduction - now @ -.068, 7/14 -.070, August 2015 -.074, between Sept & October 10 -.077, Nov. -.078(feeling great), -.090 as of 1/10/16, down to  -.101 since January 2016 (it is now 6/24/16), -.105 as of 8/13/16

Ladies, please don't underestimate the possibility of perimenopause. The symptoms can be similar to, may intensify & in some cases mimic protracted w/d from ssri's & benzo's. 

search scales on here I am sure I have seen people say which ones but I don't recall what threads.

peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

Please go to the Introductions forum and use search for Cymbalta there. You will see many stories of Cymbalta tapering.

• 3 years later...

Hi all — back on here after being away for about 5 years and health has continued to decline and decline.  Will be making a run at tapering off my Effexor once and for all this next 18 months, but you can see where I have been the last 5 years by my updated signature. 

Hoping this next year will bring FINALLY getting these poisons out of my system and my CNS healed!

Love and healing!!!

Hoosierfans

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hoosier,

One introduction/journal per member.

Generally what we like to see in signatures is the following:

First, to give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Please keep your signature as simple and easy to read as possible.

It's not clear to me what your present dosage is of Effexor from your present signature  or if you are on or off of Ativan.

Your interim history of medical events and diagnoses can go right here on your journal/introduction page. 

Why are you wanting to taper the Effexor now?

On 4/27/2018 at 8:48 AM, Hoosierfans said:

Will be making a run at tapering off my Effexor once and for all this next 18 months, but you can see where I have been the last 5 years by my updated signature. 

Hoping this next year will bring FINALLY getting these poisons out of my system and my CNS healed!

It generally may take longer than 18 months for your CNS to heal.  We recommend a 10% or less tapering,  to minimize W/D symptoms and oftentimes the tapering process alone can take more than 18 months.  I do like your enthusiasm however.  If it was just so simple.  B)

Here are some links with some general information on tapering and W/D.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1008-before-you-begin-tapering-what-you-need-to-know/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1160-how-psychiatric-drugs-remodel-your-brain/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

And most definitely take a look at this link.  SLOW SIMPLE STABLE.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing