SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Molly19: Amitriptyline withdrawal

Molly19

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Molly,

I've moved the new topic you created to your original Introduction topic.  Each member has only 1 Introduction topic where they can ask questions about their own situation and journal their progress.  This keeps their history in one place.  Please do not create any more Introduction topics.  Thank you.

If you have been experiencing additional stress or been sick your symptoms can increase.  Many members find that over the Christmas period their symptoms ramped up.

What you are experiencing sounds normal with regards to recovering after a too fast taper.  Please see the posts in this topic written by BrassMonkey, a moderator, who was also a member of another, now closed, website.  He has read about many experiences of members over a very long period of time.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Here's some additional information which might help you to understand what is happening:

Recovery isn't linear it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern

These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Is it withdrawal or relapse?  Or something else?

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to help get through discomfort and tough times.

Understanding what is happening helps us to not get caught up with the second fear, or fear of the fear.  This happens when we experience sensations in our body and because we don't understand them we are scared of them and then start to panic.

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks for all the info ChessieCat I really appreciate it. Sorry about the misplaced post I'll make sure to post on this page.😊

November 1 2017- Amitriptyline 10mg prescribed 

December 2017- Amitriptyline cut to 7.5mg -horrendous withdrawals (tried to quit due to bad side effects: Nausea, dizziness, foggy head, fainting, depression etc)

December 24th 2017- Amitriptyline reinstated to 10mg

March 1st 2018- Began to taper off 10 mg by .2mg per night

April 15th 2018- Amitriptyline free, suffering withdrawals.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Molly, 

How are you doing? Yes, all the symptoms you are getting sound like withdrawals. Symptoms are all over the place, they come and go. A lot of things we wouldn’t even associate with withdrawals can be withdrawals. I’ve had earaches, toothaches, burning mouth etc etc. They came and went. Withdrawals aren’t linear whatsoever either, they are all over the place as our poor little brains are trying to heal themselves.

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

1 hour ago, Carmie said:

Hi Molly, 

How are you doing? Yes, all the symptoms you are getting sound like withdrawals. Symptoms are all over the place, they come and go. A lot of things we wouldn’t even associate with withdrawals can be withdrawals. I’ve had earaches, toothaches, burning mouth etc etc. They came and went. Withdrawals aren’t linear whatsoever either, they are all over the place as our poor little brains are trying to heal themselves.

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Hi Carmie

I'm doing alright. Kinda bummed out I was having set patterns with my withdrawals 17 good days then 10 bad. The bad days got less and less each time. By early December (month 😎I had like 1.5bad days...I thought yes!! I'm nearly there then January hit and BAM I feel horrible again. 😔 my windows are maybe a couple days. Then back to feeling sick and high anxiety. Very frustrating!!! I read about the 10 month wave...I'm assuming this is what is happening?? But its lasting quite a while😔

December 2017- Amitriptyline cut to 7.5mg -horrendous withdrawals (tried to quit due to bad side effects: Nausea, dizziness, foggy head, fainting, depression etc)

• Moderator Emeritus

I’m so sorry you’re gettng such bad waves Molly, 

I’m afraid we can’t avoid waves, the windows and waves pattern shows us that our brains are healing though, it’s a good sign. You’re getting lots of windows too which is great. Seventeen good days in a row is amazing! 

We need to find some good coping strategies and distractions when going through waves. I’m all about distractions, it’s my motto. Distractions! Distractions! Distractions! In the severest of waves I binge watched DVDs n Netflix, did arts n crafts, cranked up the music, went out in nature, and the list goes on. I hope you’ve got some good distractions.

Stressing about being in waves can actually ramp up the symptoms. Have you checked out the link on Claire Weekes that ChessieCat gave you?

Wishing you all the best in your recovery.💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

1 hour ago, Carmie said:

I’m so sorry you’re gettng such bad waves Molly, 

I’m afraid we can’t avoid waves, the windows and waves pattern shows us that our brains are healing though, it’s a good sign. You’re getting lots of windows too which is great. Seventeen good days in a row is amazing! 

We need to find some good coping strategies and distractions when going through waves. I’m all about distractions, it’s my motto. Distractions! Distractions! Distractions! In the severest of waves I binge watched DVDs n Netflix, did arts n crafts, cranked up the music, went out in nature, and the list goes on. I hope you’ve got some good distractions.

Stressing about being in waves can actually ramp up the symptoms. Have you checked out the link on Claire Weekes that ChessieCat gave you?

Wishing you all the best in your recovery.💚

Hey Carmie,

Yes I did look over all the info ChessieCat gave me its wonderful info. The windows were going great 17 good days followed by a couple bad..I can live with that!! But then to have such a huge set back is frightening especially after basically 8 months of 17 day windows. Now I'm lucky if I get 2 good days. After reading everything Chessiecat sent I'm thinking I hit that 10 month wave...I came on over night. I was doing awesome then woke up and felt awful. I thought maybe I had picked up something but being that is hasn't gone and it's the same symptoms as other withdrawal waves....I'm guessing that's it. Hopefully this wave will end soon and I can get a nice block of good days. Until then I use distractions Netflix, knitting, walks etc. Thanks for all your help Carmie I really appreciate it ❤ out of curiosity did you experience a 10 month wave? I'm just wondering how common it is. 

Thanks for all your help :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Molly, 

How are you doing? Waves can hit at any time, they really are all over the place. It’s amazing how they can hit such a long time later. It’s all part of the healing process though. I hope this latest wave ends for you soon. Just keep thinking about the fact that every day is one day closer to healing. 

I’m glad you’ve got distractions to help you get through the waves. I’m watching period dramas at the moment. I ordered some more DVDs off EBay. I like Netflix, but when there are movies I love I buy the DVDs too. I have Netflix in the loungeroom and I watch DVDs in the bedroom. I hope you’re enjoying your knitting and your walks.

Sending hugs🤗

46 minutes ago, Carmie said:

Hi Molly, 

How are you doing? Waves can hit at any time, they really are all over the place. It’s amazing how they can hit such a long time later. It’s all part of the healing process though. I hope this latest wave ends for you soon. Just keep thinking about the fact that every day is one day closer to healing. 

I’m glad you’ve got distractions to help you get through the waves. I’m watching period dramas at the moment. I ordered some more DVDs off EBay. I like Netflix, but when there are movies I love I buy the DVDs too. I have Netflix in the loungeroom and I watch DVDs in the bedroom. I hope you’re enjoying your knitting and your walks.

Sending hugs🤗

Hey Carmie,

Can a wave last a couple months? I mean I guess I get an okay day here and there but mostly I feel like garbage :( compared to where I was 2 months ago...so frustrating!!! Withdrawals should only last 2 weeks max lol and should be linear horrible..bad..okay...better...good ...great done. It would be so much easier to deal with!  This feeling great trap is the worst part in my opinion. Oh well eventually I will get there. I will be a master of all kinds of hobbies by then...could probably run my own craft fair😂 I hope you feel better soon too ❤❤ 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Molly, 

Yes, a wave can certainly last for many months, no one knows when they will end. They can also fluctuate during the day, there really isn’t anything linear about the withdrawal process whatsoever, it really is all over the place. I had a wave towards the end of last year that lasted about three months. 

You sound like you’re in good spirits though. Stressing about our symptoms doesn’t change them, the stress can actually ramp them up even more.

Woohoo for the craft stall of yours🎉😄. Take care💚

• 2 years later...

@Molly19 Did you notice burping and belching since you quit amitriptyline ??

I burp and belch a lot.

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

• 2 years later...

Hi @Molly19

I know it has been a while since you posted this but, if you’re still checking in, I was wondering how you are getting on? I am now where you were back then and am looking for a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. How are you feeling now? I hope you’re doing amazingly and all the awful feelings are a thing of the past. 

January 2023: 1.25mg Ramipril, upped to 5mg, for high blood pressure. 
August 2023: Amitriptyline 20mg per night for insomnia; GP told me I could stop taking at any time. 

December 2023: Stopped taking amitriptyline without taper per GP’s advice.

December 2023 - now: horrible, scary symptoms, possibly withdrawal?