SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

junetimmons: Lexapro withdrawals after trying to taper for 80 days

junetimmons

Hi all,

I started tapering about 6-7 weeks ago.  My titration schedule was as follows:

1.  Alternate 10 and 7.5 for 23 days 

2.  7.5 mg for 23 days

3.  Alternate 7.5 and 5mg for 45 days

I made it to step 3 above and major withdrawal symptoms started when I was 

within 10 days of being done.  I ended up 

going back up to 10 mg again.   I have been

on the 10 mg for a week now.

The withdrawal symptoms are horrible.  Unbearable ruminations, major depression,

and unable to sleep very well.  All I want to do is stabilize for a couple of months, and then try to titrate again much slower using 

the liquid.

I would welcome any suggestions

on anything that might help with the ruminations, depression, and the lack of

sleep.

Thanks for your help!  Very happy to

be on this forum.

JuneT

Lexapro 80 days Titrating Before Withdrawals 

• Altostrata changed the title to junetimmons Lexapro Withdrawals After Trying To Taper For 80 Days
  • Administrator

Welcome, junet.

Please, never skip doses or alternate doses to taper!! Doctors recommend this but they don't know what they're talking about.

You did the right thing taking 10mg consistently. Make sure you take it at the same time each day.

Have your withdrawal symptoms changed at all since you went back to 10mg?

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My withdrawal symptoms have gone from 

a 10-being the worst to about a 7.  Today is my 9th day back on 10 mg of Lexapro.

I do try to take it the same time everyday.  I prefer to take it with food.  I have read that is best to take Lexapo an hour before you eat.  That does not work for me.  My first withdrawal symptom that I experienced was the inability to sleep.  Then the anxiety kicked in and then the depression. I really thought it would kick in sooner than 80 days in if there was going to be a problem.  I have been on this drug for 20+ 

years.  Do you know of anyone that has successfully titrated off of this medication 

with little or no withdrawal symptoms?  I am going to level out again and wait a while before I try to titrate again.  I need

to build my courage up again that this 

is possible.  I am feeling pretty discouraged at this point.

I hughely appreciate your response to my 

question.   Thanks so much!

JuneT

• Administrator

What time of day do you take Lexapro? What is your daily symptom pattern? If Lexapro interferes with sleep, I'd move it an hour a day until you are taking it in the morning.

We have people who have tapered after stabilizing with minimal withdrawal symptoms. You need to stabilize first. This can take months. You don't need to do it until you feel confident.

Did your symptoms improve from 10 to 7 after you started taking 10mg Lexapro again, this last time?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I take Lexapro in the morning, usually between 7:30-8:00.  I have always taken Lexapro at that time, meaning even before I ever tried to titrate.  My withdrawal symptoms seem to stabilize the longer I 

stay on the 10 mg.  I started back on the  10 mg on 4/26.   I am taking 3 mg of melatonin and 200 mg magnesium to

sleep.  Otherwise I toss and turn for hours.  I go to bed around 9:00.  I go to sleep

around 10:30.  I wake up at 4:30 am.   Before I started titrating, I would go to sleep around 10:00 and wake up between 

7:30 and 8:00, without taking any supplements.

Once I stabilize for a while and decide to titrate again, what would be a conservative titration schedule?

JuneT

• Moderator Emeritus

I've tapered from 20mg Lexapro to 7.0 over the course of 16 months.  I anticipate it will take another two years to get to zero.  I am tapering at the rate at 2 1/2% of current dose per week for four weeks followed by a two-week hold.  This is known as the Brassmonkey Slide Method, and it was devised by Brassmonkey, one of our moderators.  

Another method is 10% drop from current dose every four weeks.

At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Grifley,

I wish I had known this before I tried to titrate this time.  However,  I am extremely grateful for your response.  Thanks so much for your response.  How long have you been on Lexapro?  Have you experienced any withdrawal symptoms during your titration?

JuneT

Grifley,

I forgot to ask where do you get a syringe to taper this slowly?

JuneT

Hello junetimmons

When I used the liquid Lexapro, it came with the dropper to measure it out.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Does anyone know of any supplements that help with withdrawal symptoms.

JuneT

• Moderator Emeritus

You can get syringes at a pharmacy.  This link gives some specifics:

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

I've been on Lexapro since 2004.  I've had moderate withdrawal symptoms, mostly anxiety, insomnia, anhedonia, apathy, and weight loss.  Some discomfort is to be expected with withdrawal.  The goal is to keep it tolerable and to keep functioning.  The non-drug coping skills in these two links have been helpful to many members:

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

While it is often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal it can be overstimulating.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 month later...

I have been back on Lexapro since April 23rd.  I am still not stabilized after trying to titrate off to quickly.  I had titrated down to 6.75 mg.  I have been back on my usual dose of 10 mg for 48 days.  I am still not stabilized out yet.  Anybody ever tried to titrate to quickly only to have to return back to your original dose, if so how long did it take you to stabilize back out?

any information would be greatly appreciated.

JuneT

• ChessieCat changed the title to junetimmons: Lexapro withdrawals after trying to taper for 80 days
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi June,

Your signature doesn't provide enough information.  Please include only dates, drugs, doses - no symptoms or diagnoses.  The mods need to be able to see your drug history at a glance.  Thank you.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  What is your current symptom pattern?

Q:  How tolerable are your symptoms?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I am experiencing suicidal thoughts, trouble getting to sleep, trouble staying a sleep, severe depression.

symptoms are not very tolerable.  

I don’t know why my signature line is not coming up correct.  I have it set to the following:  JuneTimmons:  Lexapro Withdrawals after trying to titrate for 80 Days.  

JuneT

• Moderator Emeritus
33 minutes ago, junetimmons said:

Lexapro Withdrawals after trying to titrate for 80 Days.  

Yes, that is what your signature says.

However, we need more information.  Dates, drugs, doses - no symptoms or diagnoses.

Did you take any psychiatric drug/s prior to Lexapro?  If you did, please include those too.

What date did you commence Lexapro?  What doses?  What dates did you make the dose changes?  This is the information we need.

This is agood example.  It is Songbird's:

2001-2002 Jul - Feb Aropax 2003 Feb-Dec Citalopram 2004 Jul Aropax 20mg
2005-2007 various failed tapers  2007 Feb 20mg … Nov 6mg
2008 Jan 5.5mg Feb 5mg Mar 4.5mg Apr 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
2009 24 Jan 12.5mg …slow taper down to 2016 5 Feb 2.6mg

2016 28 Apr 3.6mg  9 May 10mg Citalopram 17 May 15mg Citalopram 3.4mg Paroxetine  26 May 20mg Citalopram 3.0mg Paroxetine 

11 Jun 2.6mg Paroxetine  6 Jul 2.0mg Paroxetine  25 Jul 1.4mg 10 Aug 0.7mg  28 Aug 0 mg Paroxetine
17 Oct 15mg Citalopram  13 Nov 12.5mg  11 Dec 10mg
2017 30 Jan 8mg  5 Mar 7mg 8 Apr 6.5mg 6 Jun 6.2mg 5 Jul 5.9 11 Aug 5.6mg  15 Sep 5.3mg  3 Nov 5.0mg 3 Dec 4.8mg

2018 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

Thanks.  I really appreciate the example.

I have been taking Lexapro since 1994.  I tried to go off cold turkey once in 2014.  That was a disaster.  I honestly did not know any better.  I stabilized out in 2016.  Fast forward to Feb 2018.  I did the following titration:

1.  Alternate 10 mg and 7.5 mg for 23 days.

2.  7.5 mg for 23 days.

3.  Alternate 7.5 and 5 mg for 45 days.

When I was about 35 days into step 3 is when all hell broke lose, so I was almost down to 5 mg before I had to go back 

on the full dose of Lexapro.  

I know now from reading this website that 

this was still to aggressive of a titration.  

I have been having depression really bad, even suicidal thoughts, which is very rare.  

I only had that problem once when I tried to titrate cold turkey in 2014.  

I have been back on Lexapro 10 mg since April 23rd this year, so about 51 days.  Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

June

JuneT

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please respond to my post above this one?

JuneT

• Moderator Emeritus

June,

I have asked the other moderators for their suggestions.

Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Administrator
On 5/2/2018 at 12:08 AM, Altostrata said:

What time of day do you take Lexapro? What is your daily symptom pattern? If Lexapro interferes with sleep, I'd move it an hour a day until you are taking it in the morning.

June, please answer these questions, we need to know this information. What do you mean when you say you have not stabilized? Which symptoms have gotten better and which worse?

I take the Lexapro between 7:30-8:00

each morning.  I have been doing that the

last 60 days, since going back to my regular dose of 10 mg.   Mood swings of depression and suicide still occur. These are the symptoms that I can not get rid of.  Also, I am still having a difficult time getting to sleep and staying asleep.

Any information would be greatly a appreciated.

Thanks,

JuneT

• 1 month later...

Can I get a response to my last post?  

I restarted my Lexapro 90 days ago and I

still have no stabilized.  I had titrated for a total of 75 days before restarting my Lexapro original dose of 10 mg.

Mood swings, depression, and suicidal thoughts are still occurring.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

JuneT

• Administrator

Hi, June. Apologies we didn't see this right away.

On 5/2/2018 at 6:19 AM, junetimmons said:

My withdrawal symptoms seem to stabilize the longer I 

stay on the 10 mg.

How did your symptom pattern change since May? Did your symptoms get better and then worse? How did they get worse?

Are you still taking 10mg? Do the bad thoughts come in waves? Do they happen at any particular time of day? How are you sleeping?

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi June, 

How are you doing?💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hello June, I'm quite curious myself how you are coping? Are you alright?

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold /