SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Gecko: delayed Pristiq withdrawal

Gecko

Hello people.  I was talked into trying Pristiq by my psychiatrist, after not finding any benefit from Lexapro.  She took into account that I am peri-menopausal, as well as seeking help for depression and anxiety.  I took them for about four months, and noticed no improvement to the anxiety or depression.  When I was taking them I felt the usual anti-depressant feeling, that is lack of feeling, that I found unpleasant and un-helpful.  I found the Pristiq a bit speedy, and found the increased heart rate and blood pressure unpleasant.  I missed a day once by accident and was out all day and couldn't take it until the next morning.  A day later I experienced severe symptoms for a couple of days, even though I took my usual dose the next morning after I missed it.  I was on 50 for the first month and then 100.  About six weeks ago I came off the drug, and was expecting a couple of weeks of feeling crook, but had almost no symptoms of withdrawal until about a week ago.  For the past week, I've been feeling really nauseous in the mornings, sometimes all day, and had an awful headache.  It also seems like my hot flushes are worse, but I'm not sure if that's related.  I had a wooshing sound in my ears the fist couple of weeks but that has gone away.  It's the nausea and headache that are really worrying me.  No bad dreams or anything like that.  I never get headaches normally, so am unable to find any other cause.  My psychiatrist completely denies the existence of any side effects or withdrawal symptoms, so I'm hoping I can get some information here, and see if anyone else has had my experience.

I was on Pristiq for about four months, starting on 50 for the first month and then taking 100.  I have not been taking them for about six weeks and have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms for about a week.

• Altostrata changed the title to Gecko Delayed Pristiq withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, Gecko.

I am sorry you stayed on Pristiq despite those adverse effects and now have withdrawal symptoms from going off it.

How long have you been off the drug?

Pristiq is hard to taper because it doesn't come in a range of dosages. Effexor is a sibling, if you got a prescription for Effexor XR, you could open the capsule and take 10 beads. This might be enough to stop the withdrawal symptoms. You'd stabilize on that for some months, then taper off by tiny amounts later.

Any doctor can prescribe this, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the welcome Altostrata.  I've been off Pristiq for about 6 and a half weeks.  I've read that it's too late to go back on them, or Effexor, and do not wish to go back on if I can help it.  I'm looking for any info about delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms, and about what causes them, and how long I can expect them to last.  I've tried six times to put info in my signature and I'm not sure if it's there or not.

I was on Pristiq for about four months, starting on 50 for the first month and then taking 100.  I have not been taking them for about six weeks and have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms for about a week.

• Administrator

Yes, your signature is visible.

The cause of delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms is the same as any withdrawal symptoms. See What is withdrawal syndrome?

There's no guarantee of how long they'll last. Could be months, could be years. They could get better or they could get worse.

Have your withdrawal symptoms been getting worse? Taking a bit of Effexor may reduce them, it may not be too late. It's up to you to decide whether your symptoms are bad enough that you want to try this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gecko, 

How have you been doing? Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Gecko: delayed Pristiq withdrawal